Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Banned

Default How do I go about building a ar-15 pistol?

Well I got the bug, I tried to shake it but I can't. I have a few questions for you guys. Where can I get a pistol lower online or at a lgs in the east bay area? Once I get my lower is there anything additional I need to do? Or do I just dros it like a normal gun and wait 10 days and pick it up? I know it has to be registered as a handgun. As far as the upper goes, Is there any regulations that I am not aware of as far as features? I don't believe there is but I just want to make sure. Bullet button and no more then a 10 round magazine correct? My question is I see things about sse? Do I still need to SSE it, If I just buy a stripped lower? Any other help would be awesome. What is the best barrel length as far as accuracy around 50-100 yards? Thanks in advance. And I am sure there was a ton of other threads on this same subject.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Calguns Addict

There is a lot out there on this subject. Search.
You will see a lot of arguments about building pistols off stripped lowers, DROS, building a pistol off a virgin "rifle" lower legal by ATF standards, etc

I'll make it easy: Look into 80% lowers.

To answer some of your questions
An AR Pistol would not be on the DOJ Roster. That is why you see things about SSE.
Yes it would need a magazine lock and 10 round magazines because it would be a pistol that has a magazine outside the pistol grip.

Quote:
12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

[...]

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!

Last edited by Chaos47; 11-17-2012 at 11:29 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
There is a lot out there on this subject. Search.
An AR Pistol would not be on the DOJ Roster. That is why you see things about SSE.
Yes it would need a bullet button and 10 round magazines because it would be a pistol that has a magazine outside the pistol grip.

Look into 80% lowers.
So even if I buy a stripped lower, I would need to SSE it?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
So even if I buy a stripped lower, I would need to SSE it?
Yes....

If you built it from an 80% lower no as its not registered. But you would then have to follow the constructive possession policy.

Better yet, go through EBR Works, great deal, excellent service and you will be satisfied.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
(For the record, I think my grandchildren will be retired and moved to AZ before shall-issue CCW comes to this screwed up state... and my kids are still currently young teenagers.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Wow. I'd work harder to stop the underage sex in your family

-Gene
Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh.killer.of.zombies View Post
Yes....

If you built it from an 80% lower no as its not registered. But you would then have to follow the constructive possession policy.

Better yet, go through EBR Works, great deal, excellent service and you will be satisfied.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
EBR works is in southern California right? Any info on how to go about the SSE if I bought a stripped lower? I will do some research at the same time. I am sorry for asking all these questions. I just want to make sure I go about this the legal way and there is no surprises.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned

So far I have found out going to a build party with a 80% would work well. Any info on how build parties work? I know you have to operate a cnc machine. I have no idea how to do that So is someone there to program it for you, And you just press the button? I don't want to make another thread for it. Also more info on EBR works would be fantastic. Thanks guys, Bare with my ignorance please!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
EBR works is in southern California right? Any info on how to go about the SSE if I bought a stripped lower? I will do some research at the same time. I am sorry for asking all these questions. I just want to make sure I go about this the legal way and there is no surprises.
The only way to DROS a stripped lower as a pistol is to be roster exempt (law enforcement). Here are your options if you aren't LE

-Buy a complete pistol AR (it will be SSE'd)

-PPT a lower already registered as a pistol (might be tough to find)

-Build one from an 80% lower.

There are plenty of threads on 80% lowers floating around...

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Arkangel; 11-18-2012 at 12:11 AM..