Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-11-2012, 2:51 AM

Default Scope for a 5.56 16" AR

Im in the market for a scope in the range of $700-$800. Wotheuld like some advise from the members here
Old 11-11-2012, 6:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Save your lunch money and get this.

https://www.primaryarms.com/TRTA31HG_DE_p/ta31hg-de.htm

Dimitri
Old 11-11-2012, 7:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Its like asking, "I have $25,000 what car should I buy?"

Trijicon, Leupold, Zeiss ...http://www.rifle-scope-guide.com/700...opes-for-sale/
Old 11-11-2012, 7:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nikon M223 with IRT
Quote:
NIKON M-223 2.5-10X40 LSR IRT

Get on target, range, and take the shot in seconds--all without lifting your cheek from the stock--with the Nikon M-223 2.5-10x40 riflescope. The scope is outfitted with Nikon's Immediate Ranging Technology (IRT), which combines the speed and precision of a Nikon rangefinder with the accuracy potential of a standard M-223 scope.

Simply place the reticle on your target, press the scope's patented one-touch activator button, and select the proper ballistic circle on the BDC reticle. The one-touch laser technology will keep ranging and displaying the distance for 12 seconds, so you have plenty of time to line up your shot. The M-223 scope also includes a BDC 600 reticle. Developed specifically for the trajectory of the .223 Rem 5.56 NATO round with 55-grain polymer tip bullets at approximately 3,240 fps, the BDC 600 reticle gives shooters unique open circle aiming points and hash marks from 100 to 600 yards.

Nothing boosts a shooter's level of confidence better than generous, constant eye relief, which is why Nikon's eye relief is a sizable 3.5 inches. No more rough kickback from heavy recoiling cartridges, lightweight rifles, severe shooting angles, and just plain excitement. Nikon also included its Ultra ClearCoat (UCC) optical system, which is engineered to provide the shooter with a bright, sharp, incredibly flat sight picture and light transmission up to 95 percent of the theoretical maximum. And to simplify field adjustments, Nikon integrated a zero-reset turret into its M-223 riflescopes. Just sight in at 100 yards, lift the adjustment knob, rotate to your "zero," and re-engage. Field adjustments are now as simple as dialing in your subsequent ranges.

Other features include a convenient remote control that attaches to most firearms, a smooth zoom control with magnification reference numbers viewable from the shooter's position, a low-profile mounting system, and an integral mount for Picatinny rails.

BDC 600 Reticle.

Developed specifically for the trajectory of the .223 Rem 5.56 NATO round with 55-grain polymer tip bullet at approximately 3240 fps, the new BDC 600 reticle offers shooters unique open circle aiming points and hash marks from 100 to 600 yards.

Zero-Reset Turrets

To simplify field adjustments, especially with the Rapid Action Turret and Nikoplex reticle, Nikon has integrated this feature into all M-223 riflescopes. Just sight-in at 100 yards as usual, then lift the adjustment knob, rotate to your “zero”, and re-engage. Field adjustments are now as simple as dialing-in your subsequent ranges.

Patent-pending laser activator

This fast, one-touch button makes determining range and taking the shot fast and simple.

Low profile mounting system

Places the IRT securely and safely on your rifle. Eye Box technology

Smooth zoom control

Magnification reference numbers are viewable from the shooter's position.

Waterproof, fogproof, shockproof

Nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed.

Specifications:

Finish: Matte black
Reticle: BDC 600
Actual magnification: 2.5x-10x
Objective diameter: 40mm
Exit pupil: 16mm (2.5x), 4mm (10x)
Eye relief: 3.5 inches
Field of view: 34.5 feet @ 100 yards (2.5x), 9.2 feet @ 100 yards (10x)
Tube diameter: N/A
Objective OD: 2 inches
Eyepiece OD: 1.68 inches
Adjustment graduation: 1/4 MOA
Max internal adjustment: 60 MOA
Parallax setting: 100 yards
Length: 12.3 inches
Weight: 21.52 ounces
Old 11-14-2012, 2:46 AM

Here is the best bang for your buck.

Burris Extreme Tactical Scope
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CF0Q8gIwAA
Old 11-14-2012, 5:06 AM

What do you want the gun to be good at?
Old 11-14-2012, 8:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

In your price range I'd look at a Weaver Tactical 1-5x24 Specs. I've been giving the Weavers a lot of thought myself as well as the less expensive Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/168...-reticle-matte

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 11-14-2012 at 8:24 AM..
Old 11-14-2012, 9:00 AM

I have a trijicon accupoint in a LaRue mount. Works great.
Old 11-14-2012, 9:00 AM
Vendor/Retailer

These are good
https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_1...p/bu201904.htm

And so are these

https://www.primaryarms.com/Vortex_V...pst-14st-m.htm

Dimitri
Old 11-14-2012, 9:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Dimitri needs to get a raise for how hard he works... lol.

But how you gonna give him advice when we have no clue what the purpose of his rifle is? :P
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

With that budget, there are probably hundreds of decent options available. We need a more specific definition of what you want the rifle to be used for. Generally, for a standard carbine I'd suggest either a red dot setup or a 1-4X for a bit more versatility. For a free floated, accurized upper I'd go with a bit more magnification. 1-6X would be a good start. At the upper end of magnification I'd suggest (9-12X) would be scopes like the SS 3-9X42, Viper PST 2.5-10X44 or Bushnell 3-12x44 G2DMR.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
But how you gonna give him advice when we have no clue what the purpose of his rifle is? :P
It's a 16" carbine so if the purpose is anything other than CQB and self defense and coyote control out to 200m he bought the wrong rifle.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
It's a 16" carbine so if the purpose is anything other than CQB and self defense and coyote control out to 200m he bought the wrong rifle.
Depends on configuration. For a standard M4 style rifle I would agree with you. On a free floated stainless rifle, the practical range and accuracy is only slightly less than that of a similarly configured 18 or 20" barrel. With the right ammo, a 16" barrel can maintain good accuracy out to 700+ yards.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
Even with what you said, there is still a huge variety to choose from. :P

Red Dot, ACOG, Riflescope, 1-4 variety, 2-10 variety... there's 3x magnifier.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Depends on configuration. For a standard M4 style rifle I would agree with you. On a free floated stainless rifle, the practical range and accuracy is only slightly less than that of a similarly configured 18 or 20" barrel. With the right ammo, a 16" barrel can maintain good accuracy out to 700+ yards.
Agreed. My 16" AR performs various roles... i've 3 optics that I switch using QD mounts on that AR. An Aimpoint T1, an ACOG, a Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm.

Each serves its purpose.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Used ACOG. Beware of fakes (FACOG) and stolen Government property.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 11-14-2012, 6:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Dimitri needs to get a raise for how hard he works... lol.

Not giving advise just showing options its up to him to decide.

Dimitri
Old 11-16-2012, 9:25 AM

I've owned the following:

Vortex PST 1-4
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9, 1.25-4
Trijicon Reflex w/ a 4.5moa dot
Eotech 512
Vortex Strikefire, Sparc
Lucid HD7 + Magnifier
Leupold VX-R 2-7

For CQB-200, I loved my Vortex. For CQB-50-100 (and still able to make steel hits at 200 consistently), Eotech. For 100-400ish I would take my Leupold over my 3-9 Accupoint. I'm not talking about shooting sub moa groups and I'm far from a great shooter, just plinking and shooting an occasional varmint.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 AM

SN-8 1-8x
Old 11-16-2012, 9:05 PM

Trijicon TR24(triangle), SWFA 1-4, ACOG
Old 11-16-2012, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

Trijicon Accupoint scopes!

Check the link : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=637220
Old 11-28-2012, 9:42 PM

Thanks for all the advise. Sorry late to respond but been real busy. I have an ACR enhanced version 16 inch barrel. I know it takes alot of flak but I do love this rifle. I was thinking of upping the price to $1000. Found a dual illumination ACOG 4x32, TA-31H tan version for that price. Going to use for personal defense, out to 300 yards, if needed. What do you think?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrjoe12 View Post
Thanks for all the advise. Sorry late to respond but been real busy. I have an ACR enhanced version 16 inch barrel. I know it takes alot of flak but I do love this rifle. I was thinking of upping the price to $1000. Found a dual illumination ACOG 4x32, TA-31H tan version for that price. Going to use for personal defense, out to 300 yards, if needed. What do you think?
I like the ACOG scopes, but the fixed power is kind of a turn off. Makes it kind of a one trick pony. In that price range there are many low power 1-4x and 1-6X variables that would fill the role of CQB and mid-long range optic making for a much more versatile rifle.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
+1, i took it out to 600 yards and if i knew how to read wind i'd be a sniper with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Agreed. My 16" AR performs various roles... i've 3 optics that I switch using QD mounts on that AR. An Aimpoint T1, an ACOG, a Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm.

Each serves its purpose.
I like how you roll.
Old 12-07-2012, 2:29 AM

If I could only have 1 scope for that 16" AR, I'd pick the ACOG TA31RCOM4

You've got enough features to play with and simple enough to use, lethal for the effective range of the weapon, no batteries, "calibrated" for the weapon, tough as nails

I'm basing this on the fact of what the rifle isn't:
-since it's .223 it's not a hunting rifle
-it's not a precision rifle, high powered rifle, so really what are you going to do with an extravagant FFP tactical scope

Just make sure to pick up one with tritium still burning bright, but if you are going to be use it in daytime conditions or tactical courses, even one with spent tritium will still have the advantage of fiber optic illumination and you can get it for one helluva discount.
Old 12-08-2012, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

I have and used both Trijicon Acog & Trijicon Accupoint scopes for 3 Gun competitions. I like the Trijicon Accupoint better than the Acog because it gives me a better and faster acquisition. I can shoot 5 yards on CQB and at the same time shoot 350-400 yards of 18" steel plates at any given 3 Gun match.
The Trijicon Accupoint works great on night time shoots as well. Not needing a secondary unit is amazing. Bindon Aiming Concept is just great, you can shoot with both eyes open. Reticle works like a red dot with magnification.

Just recently sold my Trijicon Acog TA-31 DOC. And went with another Trijicon TR21 G.

Last edited by Mstnpete; 12-09-2012 at 12:12 AM..