Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-16-2012, 5:08 PM

Default Ride along: What to expect?

I'm going for a ride along with a CHP officer later tonight. It's during graveyard and I was just curious what I should expect. It's raining pretty good right now so hopefully that won't be a downer.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:19 PM

Depends entirely on the office, and how long you ride. Stay for the whole shift, and you'll write some tags, probably grab a bite, then hook a deuce or two after the Officers pair up.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:20 PM

dont do it. its a conspiracy.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Ask questions, do what the officer says, and try to soak up everything you can. It's a fantastic learning experience. I loved mine.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:27 PM

I've been going on ride alongs since I was about 12. Now, I go on them with my cousin's NARC team or his buddies in patrol.... It's very hit or miss. Depends on the night. You'll either have a slow night or it will be full of action... Good luck and have fun! Listen to what the officer say.... They all have different rules.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire View Post
Depends entirely on the office, and how long you ride. Stay for the whole shift, and you'll write some tags, probably grab a bite, then hook a deuce or two after the Officers pair up.
I'm planning on staying for the whole shift. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldraque View Post
dont do it. its a conspiracy.
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr310 View Post
Ask questions, do what the officer says, and try to soak up everything you can. It's a fantastic learning experience. I loved mine.
Funny you say that. I'm a Sac State student and I have a project due in a couple weeks. It requires going on a ride along and asking the officer various questions so I figured I might as well do it early and go on a couple ride alongs. What agency/dept did you go with?
Old 11-16-2012, 5:32 PM
In Memoriam

brief periods of excitement followed by long periods of boredom, then 1/2 price eats at Denny's
Old 11-16-2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMIbaseballer View Post
I've been going on ride alongs since I was about 12. Now, I go on them with my cousin's NARC team or his buddies in patrol.... It's very hit or miss. Depends on the night. You'll either have a slow night or it will be full of action... Good luck and have fun! Listen to what the officer say.... They all have different rules.
That's pretty awesome. I'm sure NARC teams are 10 times more likely to see something interesting, but you never know. I'm not expecting a whole lot and if something interesting happens then I lucked out. I'll be sure to listen closely to all his rules. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
brief periods of excitement followed by long periods of boredom, then 1/2 price eats at Denny's
I'll be sure to leave my house hungry.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

CHP, LASD, and LAPD.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Ride alongs are so much fun. Just did another a few days ago. Just be polite and ask plenty of questions. Don't expect high speed pursuits or such. Police work can be boring, however, i love it.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:50 PM

You might try to get a ride along with a city cop that you know. They can always "find" things that are fun to do, and those things can make your visit quite memorable.

If you don't know one, perhaps do the same thing you did to get the CHP ride, only in the city.
Old 11-16-2012, 6:37 PM

i have been thinking about going on a ride along i live in the inland empire are there any suggestion as to where i should go to do this
Old 11-16-2012, 6:41 PM

Well in Sac that might be interesting. Around here it would be extremely boring.
Old 11-16-2012, 8:38 PM

sac should be lots more fun than my ride. literally a 4 hour Q and A session on CHP vs DFG vs PCSO vs USFS. only pulled over one person. still interesting but i will not be trying for CHP anytime soon
Old 11-16-2012, 9:49 PM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by moooooo View Post
i have been thinking about going on a ride along i live in the inland empire are there any suggestion as to where i should go to do this
Stop by your local city PD station and ask, or find the nearest Sheriff's station and ask them. Many cities will only do a ridealong if you either know someone, are in process, or live in the city. The Sheriff's Department tends be a bit more flexible from what I've seen.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm thinking about going on a ride along with Riverside Sheriff.
Old 11-17-2012, 7:12 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

CHP ride along on EM = Expect to snag a deuce, maybe a TC. Pay attention because the Chippies are experts in those fields, which also happen to be fields that a lot of PD and SD guys don't consider their favorites.
Old 11-17-2012, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown View Post
That's pretty awesome. I'm sure NARC teams are 10 times more likely to see something interesting, but you never know. I'm not expecting a whole lot and if something interesting happens then I lucked out. I'll be sure to listen closely to all his rules. Thanks.
Yes the NARC team is another ball game. Much more intense serving search warrants and whatnot. You'd be surprised, patrol can get interesting really quick with high speed pursuits, robbery in progress, etc... Hope you had fun!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

When I did my pre-employment ride along the only thing that happened was the deputy had to shoot an injured deer that had been struck by a car. Then I helped him load it. Besides that it was 10 hours of driving around and running plates.
Old 11-19-2012, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCasey View Post
Stop by your local city PD station and ask, or find the nearest Sheriff's station and ask them. Many cities will only do a ridealong if you either know someone, are in process, or live in the city. The Sheriff's Department tends be a bit more flexible from what I've seen.
will do thank you