Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-15-2012, 5:23 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredieusa View Post
Karen Artizen with the usual LCAV lawyers in house!
Is it they are repeatably trying to establish a foothold here in PH? They don't give up...

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.
Old 11-15-2012, 6:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Its too bad the general public does not realize LCAV, Brady, and CSGV absurdly lame organizations. Zero grassroots support. A few high paid staff is all that runs their entire organization paid for by the joyce foundation and the stupidity of our media wanting "both sides" gives them free press.
Old 11-15-2012, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Damnit I didn't find out about this until just now. I had work anyways. Would have loved to attend. I've met with karen a few times already. I'm pretty sure she would recognize me at any event.
Old 11-15-2012, 7:37 PM

I was really happy to see the pro-gun women speaking. I was worried that all the women were going to be Brady people. I'm very glad I went, and that my friend was able to meet me there. It was absolutely fascinating to see the Brady people and their lawyers at work. I'd never been to a public meeting like this before, and I won't hesitate now to go again.
Old 11-15-2012, 7:40 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger

Quote:
Half of winning the fight is just showing up. Now who said that. It is so true!
Quote:
JD is up next.....
Hint?

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.
Old 11-15-2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
I think you sat in front of me. And you did wear black sneakers! i am going by the fact the lady in front of me had the most red hair and had sneakers lol..

Nice seeing some old faces and some new ones!
I doubt I was in front of you. I was sitting in the last row of chairs. I have short kinda red hair, I'm pretty tall, was wearing a taupe suede jacket. I did meet Librarian and Window Seat before the meeting, and a couple of others whose names are lost in the haze of my memory. It's good to put faces to some of the names!

Last edited by redhead; 11-15-2012 at 8:28 PM..
Old 11-15-2012, 8:28 PM

Thanks to all that came out and thanks to everyone who was there in spirit. I think it went well. The Brady's must have learned something, from the last time around, as they had more than just their 2 members, this time. They obviously tried to front load the comment period, but overall, they were still outnumbered. I didn't actually count, but the the room was full and I'd have to say more pro's than anti's.

Kudos to "our side" for maintaining decorum & composure... while the other side let their emotions get the better of them, a time or two. (lol)
L1A1
Savage 99 .300 svg
Beretta 92F
Ruger 10/22 - Misc. Volquartsen mods.
CZ550 American .30-06
Member - Diablo Rod & Gun Club
Old 11-15-2012, 9:14 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

Quote:
Funny part is, before the meeting started, one of the Brady women (the oldest one in short hair, sitting in the second last row towards the windows) smiled and thanked me for coming.. I had no idea who she was.. So i responded, 'No, thank you for coming." After the meeting she was rolling her eyes at me lol.

Next time i think it will be a good idea to put name tags on with forum names. I enjoy putting faces to names!
better yet is a post mtg event. In n out? Masseys? Somewhere to chat and have fun.
Old 11-15-2012, 9:57 PM
Super Moderator

Overall a pretty standard event.

Mayor said no plans to do anything specific, no obligation to do anything as a result of the meeting, just collecting info.

The LCAV/LSMFT/LCPGV (like JD I can't quite get that memorized; I'm working on it) folks had 3 attorneys, I think; two were familiar, one new to this geographic area. Usual 'other cities have done X, it's legal for cities to to Y' stuff.

Diane Barde (Brady) was talking about all the robberies in her neighborhood, folks kicking in doors; I was sitting there thinking "Don't you think it would be intelligent to be prepared to repel boarders?"

Recheck the memo from staff to the Council; PD says no problems at all (with the home permittee or any other gun business in PH), and several folks picked up on that and asked 'so, if that's true, why are we here?'

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Did anyone show up from City Arms in P.Hill?
-g
A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nope. But she interviewed the LCAV/LCPGV folks the last time we were there.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Anyone know the name of the contra-costa times reporter?
Nope, recognized from the last time. She said her name kinda quick and "mumbly" and even though I was physically close, I didn't catch it. Guess we'll have to watch for her... um... "article".
L1A1
Savage 99 .300 svg
Beretta 92F
CZ550 American .30-06
Old 11-15-2012, 11:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default A brief recap

This is a brief recap. It's late and I can't spend too much time writing this out, but I'm happy to answer questions.

Calgunners who I recognized were:

Fredieusa
Window_Seat
Puppy8a9
Chiz
Librarian

Obvously, osokne and redhead were there. I'm sorry if I didn't recognize y'all. Faces and names aren't my strong point. Please come up and introduce yourself next time. I'm a bit shy and usually only talk to the people I know.

Judging by the attendance by the Brady folks, they pulled out all the stops on this one. In attendance from the Brady side was:
  • Karen Arntzen, former president of the CoCo Brady Campaign;
  • Sandra Olufson current CoCo BC Pres.;
  • Dianne Bardy, Brady Campaign;
  • Jim Olafsun, losing candidate for City Council - endorsed by the Brady Campaign;
  • Laura Cutilleta, attorney from the Lawyers Committee to Prevent Gun Violence - formerly LCAV;
  • Amanda Roth, LCPGV (she's new)

The meeting opened up with a brief introduction by the mayor - then he called up the Chief of Police - who stated that there haven't been any complaints about the home FFL or any calls for service. (that kinda deflated the Brady folks)

I took a rough count of the speakers and their positions.

7 advocated changes to Pleasant Hill's regulations regarding home based FFLs
15 wondered why folks were advocating that the City fix something that wasn't broken.

Honestly - we kicked ***.

This isn't going anywhere.

Not one inch, folks. Fight them at every step.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-16-2012, 6:37 AM

JDBerger - were you there before the meeting started? I did come up to a group before the meeting, hoping they were Calgunners. Yep. I introduced myself but didn't offer my screen name. Sorry. Were you in that group? I do tend to be a bit shy until I get to know people. I submitted written comments. I don't think the mayor read them in their entirety. Maybe he couldn't read them. My writing isn't great, and I was trying to cram sufficint comments into the space allowed. Next time, I guess I'll just get up and let fly. I'm just not comfortable with public speaking, but I'm going to have to work on that.

Quote:
Diane Barde (Brady) was talking about all the robberies in her neighborhood, folks kicking in doors; I was sitting there thinking "Don't you think it would be intelligent to be prepared to repel boarders?"
Really? In PH? Maybe I live in a bubble. I haven't heard about a lot of robberies, much less people kicking in doors. Home invasions? I guess I'm going to keep the shotgun handy, downstairs. Also my .45. Geeze. We do have an alarm system, with a sign out front. Maybe that discourages random home invasions. Anyone, we really don't have much of that in the neighborhood I live in, or I'm sure I'd know about it.

Last edited by redhead; 11-16-2012 at 6:40 AM..
Old 11-16-2012, 6:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was late.

I'm terrified of public speaking, so I write up my comments and read them to the Council. My heart races, my hands get clammy, my face flushes....but it's important, so I do it.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-16-2012, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
I was late.

I'm terrified of public speaking, so I write up my comments and read them to the Council. My heart races, my hands get clammy, my face flushes....but it's important, so I do it.
Yeah, I didn't remember seeing you before the meeting. I figured by your name when you spoke that you were, um, jdberger. I'm really smart that way.

I'll be checking PH's website more often to keep an eye on what they're up to. And I know the racing heart, clammy hands thing. I didn't have any comments prepared, had never been to this type of meeting before and didn't know what to expect as far as how things were handled. Now I know, and will be more prepared next time.
Old 11-16-2012, 6:52 AM

So, is there anything in today's CC Times about the meeting? I canclled my paper a couple of weeks ago. I got tired of paying for biased reporting and non-reporting of things that seemd like big stories.
Old 11-16-2012, 6:58 AM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Anyone know the name of the contra-costa times reporter?

She assured me that she is neutral. i want to find out.
I think it's Lisa White.
No reports in todays paper as I can see.
Look for a Sunday shock and awe story.
-g
A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 11-16-2012, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
Obvously, osokne and redhead were there. I'm sorry if I didn't recognize y'all. Faces and names aren't my strong point. Please come up and introduce yourself next time. I'm a bit shy and usually only talk to the people I know.
Yep, I was there, as was the Mrs. (she came a little late) who, while a member of Calguns, isn't very active on the site. We both had on our Calguns lapel pins. My apologies that I didn't approach, either... but I'm sure that at least some of you already know the reason for that. Then again, nobody approached me/us, either.

I did somewhat recognize some names, from both their Calguns screen name being close to their real name... and names from the Facebook page. A couple people I knew, already. Outside of that, there were many other Pro 2A folks I recognized, from PH, as well as Antioch, Martinez, Concord & WC. Surely, there were other cities represented, but those are the ones I knew, for sure.

I own my home in PH and have gone through the process of getting a Home Occupation Permit for conducting business, plus I was also there to gather intel and report back to other parties, which were unable to attend, whom this workshop directly effected. So, my attention & interest had a number of things to focus on, already.

Wishing I had either recorded and/or videoed the meeting. Some of the moments were priceless. I did have a still camera with me, but I overheard one of the city people telling someone that they were ask for no flash photography. So, I decided not to push my luck.

Agreeing with J.D. that we collectively Kicked *****. I think the antis are always surprised to see and hear well spoken, well dressed folks, from all walks of life, who stand up and resist their rhetoric. Well done, all.
L1A1
Savage 99 .300 svg
Beretta 92F
CZ550 American .30-06
Old 11-16-2012, 4:08 PM

CC Times reporter's name is Lisa White.
L1A1
Savage 99 .300 svg
Beretta 92F
CZ550 American .30-06
Old 11-16-2012, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

"So whats the problem here, just to jog my memory"..."oh, no problem, sooooo...why?" Lol god they are ridiculous.
Old 11-16-2012, 4:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Awesome to see a community come together and have their voice heard. Good job fellow Cal Gunners.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I made the last Pleasant Hill event but not this one. It sounds like you guys kicked ***, and that gladdens my heart.

I won't be surprised if there's another one of these there sometime in the future (in another year, perhaps?). The anti-liberty types have an easier time than we do -- they only have to win once, while we have to win every time. That means diligence such as this must be maintained without fail.

And that's exactly what you guys did here. Kudos to you all! I hope to make the next such event. That event will inevitably happen, because those who would rob us of our liberty will not stop until there is no liberty left to take.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Your oath to uphold the Constitution is a joke unless you refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.

I hope I end up having to donate another $1000 to CGF... However, this $500 is one I hope to not have to donate...
Old 11-16-2012, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

Guys, Gals...

Thank you for showing up. People on our side who show up in as many numbers as we do make a big difference and make it known in person civilly and politely that this is something which we aren't sitting at home and pouting over.

I made a few observations while there;

I heard the Mayor state "I love the First Amendment as much as I do the Second, so let's respect allow the speakers to have their say" or (something to that effect). Just one of few observations.

One of the Council Members is a life NRA member, and was opposed to any further restrictions or bans.

The Interim Police Chief spoke out against any further restrictions or bans.

Towards the end of the meeting, the President of the Chamber of Commerce in either the City or County (or someone with a similar title) was also opposed to any further restrictions or bans, and that goes a long way.

Some Brady/LCAV (or whatever anti 2A groups that were there) were for a ban, while others were speaking in favor of further restrictions or regulations. Some who wanted further restrictions/regulations were also asking for a ban on home sales, which is inconsistent. At least one couldn't think of the words to say, so she just said "We need a ban".

My thoughts on that are; you can't regulate something if it's been banned outright, and that was something that was expressly implied by Judge Sykes during the Ezell arguments.

It was also my understanding that this dealer was NOT going to have firearms and ammunition stocked at his home, but the Brady people were still talking like the sky is falling because the children are in danger, since there are guns that are going to be sold at this persons home in OUR neighborhood, and so WE NEED TO TAKE A STAND blah blah...

I'm of the understanding that one or more of the Brady members was trying to intimidate at least one or more of us Calgunners, but I am also aware (and was there) when one of them had somewhat of an outburst while one of us were speaking.

This shows our class, and it shows their lack of class.

BTW, Alany (Puppy8a9) and J.D., as did all others, all hit 'em out of the ballpark with their presentations, so JOB WELL DONE!

Again, THANK YOU for showing up, and when the next one happens, hopefully there will be plenty of time to let everyone in the know about it, and maybe we can get even more to show.

Erik.
Old 11-16-2012, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

Mercury News publishes an article about the agenda in Pleasant Hill:

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_2...-pleasant-hill

Very interesting, yet biased article. It mentions that only "[s]everal people" on the pro-2A side gave comments, when in reality, there were far more than "several"... The article comments on only one of the many speakers who used the term "radical left wing group". Seems quite convenient to me.

The rest, typical biased coverage that favors the other side who favors desecrating the Constitution.

Oh... I don't subscribe to the Mercury News...

Erik.
Old 11-17-2012, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
Mercury News publishes an article about the agenda in Pleasant Hill:

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_2...-pleasant-hill

Very interesting, yet biased article. It mentions that only "[s]everal people" on the pro-2A side gave comments, when in reality, there were far more than "several"... The article comments on only one of the many speakers who used the term "radical left wing group". Seems quite convenient to me.

The rest, typical biased coverage that favors the other side who favors desecrating the Constitution.

Oh... I don't subscribe to the Mercury News...

Erik.

Well, of course it's biased. I think it's owned by the same outfit that owns Contra Costa Times, but I wouldn't raise my right hand and swear to it. I haven't checked. Such bias is the reason I canceled my subscription to the CCTimes about three weeks ago. I just got fed up paying to read articles that should have been on the editorial page.
Old 11-17-2012, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Same reason i canceled sac bee. It is nothing more than a propaganda rag for liberal wack jobs to circulate "news". Everything is completely anti business, anti free market, anti land use, anti vehicle, anti gun, anti anything that makes sense. Other than sports and the food section on wednesdays its completely worthless. The only upside is you can keep tabs on what wacky ideas are in the pipeline.
Old 11-18-2012, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like a win to me.
Old 11-18-2012, 9:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yup. Another win.

Notoneinch.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-18-2012, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Well, of course it's biased. I think it's owned by the same outfit that owns Contra Costa Times, but I wouldn't raise my right hand and swear to it. I haven't checked. Such bias is the reason I canceled my subscription to the CCTimes about three weeks ago. I just got fed up paying to read articles that should have been on the editorial page.
Yes, the CCT & Mercury News are both owned by Ridder Publications. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 11-18-2012, 7:30 PM

I cancelled the CCT years ago. Thanks to all of you who attended. My wife and I were in Nevada...