Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-14-2012, 1:17 AM
Veteran Member

Default Tribal Officer

I applied to a Tribal Officer position in my area. Doesn't say they require a post certificate. But it seems to pay fairly well, but other's have made the comment about their hiring preference towards natives?

The desired quantification said they want recruit with knowledge of " Public law 280". I have found almost zero colleges even offering such a class? They seem fairly squared away and work with the local Sheriff's dept as a allied agency.

Compared to a traditional police work, how would some of you view such work on native american reservations?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 AM

I just did a quick search on "Public Law 280" and apparently it is a Federal Law where a transfer of LE jurisdiction from the federal government is given to the states in Indian Reservations. From my understanding that's why outside LE Agencies work with the Reservation LE. Those outside LEAs now have jurisdiction. Its only in some states though.

http://www.aidainc.net/Publications/pl280.htm

Last edited by Thomas1190; 11-14-2012 at 10:06 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 8:12 PM

I'v done Tribal LE. Though not POST, powers were derived from the USC which gives Tribal Law Enforcement Departments LE jurisdiction over NATIVE AMERICANS on the TRIBES LAND. Everyone else is a detain for the Sheriff/local PD.

PL280 is one of those types of things where every persons interpretation is different. My take on it is.....Ouside LE, at the STATE LEVEL and Lower, such as the Sheriff's Dept, City Police, etc. cannot random patrol the Reservation, they can however, come onto the Reservation in response to calls, warrants, etc. Also, FEDERAL agencies CAN patrol and be on the land for ANY reason. This is because Indian Reservations are considered land given to the people of the tribes, in trust from the US Gov't.

To answer your question, work on the Reservation is very political. Strong family ties throughout the Tribal Governments.

Most arrests turn to PPA's for Tribal Governments that don't have their own court system. (Soboba, Pala, Pechanga)

Some Reservations have gone CA POST such as Pauma and Sycuan.

And some have a court system where they handle Family Law, Traffic, Civil, and dont quote me on this, but I think San Manuel also does Criminal.

There is a little lesson on tribal lands. Riverside Sheriff has a good PL280 class for LEO's that they have created. Really good stuff.

Praise be to the Lord, my Rock, who has trained my hands for war and my fingers for battle.Psalm 144:1
Old 11-19-2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
Compared to a traditional police work, how would some of you view such work on native american reservations?
Since you asked, I'll give you just another opinion amoungst many others. I think it would be boring as he££.

More of a worry would be the fact that you're not a "native American" (I'm assuming) and as Splitmx stated, probably extremely political. I'd be more concerned about you being more second guessed and criticized simply because you're not one of "them.". The tribal police seem to do a pretty decent job of patrolling their own on their reservations. I'd think you would really be looked at as an outsider.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Old 11-19-2012, 9:30 PM

I'm white and the attitude towards those that work LE for the Reservations is about the same for a White guy as it is to the Native Americans that I worked alongside.

If you look into Native American history, the big issued is the Government. They have screwed the Native Americans over time and time again, lie after lie. So when it comes to Government agencies, outside agency or their own tribal agency, they see the uniform and most give you a quick *FU This is my Rez, you work for me* speil. And for outside agencies, you get the *This is a PL280 state, You cant be here*

Its its own breed of LE. It would be nice to be thought of a little better by outside agencies even though most tribal departments are not POST. Then again, not all are very good tribal LE departments.

Do your research into Native American history. Educate yourself. Some colleges offer Native American history classes. I know my local college in Menifee has one. That's the best thing to do if you DO decide to work for a Tribal Agency.

All in all, you don't get into LE to be liked. Thick skin, instincts, and good verbal skills. Thats all I have to say.

Praise be to the Lord, my Rock, who has trained my hands for war and my fingers for battle.Psalm 144:1

Last edited by splitmx; 11-19-2012 at 9:35 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't do it. I get you want to get a foot in the door, use it as a stepping stone to bigger, better things. The problem is, the politics are outrageous (such as standing orders to NOT spot light specific houses regardless of the nature... Guess what house the dirtbags would hangout at???). They are NOT your friends, and they will turn on you the 1st chance they get. They will lie to get their "enemies" (Family one second, enemy the next), then recant after an arrest is made.

If you do go, invest in a good audio recorder, AND a HD MUVI Pro for video. They will save your job, and possibly your ability to work for a better department.

POST made a video regarding PL280. It only made things worse and more convoluted.

As far as enforcement goes (as I understand it), the S.O. is primary for any felonious crime in progress, but has the authority to enforce any misdemeanor in progress, or any infraction that is a threat to public safety. If it's cold, it's supposed to go to Tribal PD, unless it's a violent crime (property goes to tribal). If there is no tribal pd, then S.O. handles it all. Again, this is my understanding of it, but when our DSA requested, in writing, several times, for formal training on the subject, we were shot down every time without an answer.

Traffic violations however (CVC 4000, 12500, Etc.) are not enforceable.

At my last department, this was the worst part of my job. Tribal wouldn't do **** because they knew we had standing orders to take any and all calls. They would cop shop all the time, so when they had some kind of civil dispute, they would call both departments hoping something would happen.

Just be careful man.
Old 11-20-2012, 6:27 AM
short bus driver

If the "Tribal Police" is not Bureau of Indian Affairs certified and they did not send you to FLETC for training, then they are just security guards.
Only a few "Tribal Police" in CA are BIA certified.
Majority are just security and require BSIS guard (gun/baton) cards.
Some of which require POST as a requirement for employment, but they are still just security.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
If the "Tribal Police" is not Bureau of Indian Affairs certified and they did not send you to FLETC for training, then they are just security guards.
Only a few "Tribal Police" in CA are BIA certified.
Majority are just security and require BSIS guard (gun/baton) cards.
Some of which require POST as a requirement for employment, but they are still just security.
While most are considered Security, and all carry security certification for off the Reservations or open reservations (IE. Pala) Closed reservations have a better option to enact their own "Law Enforcement Personnel" and do not have to be CA POST or BIA. That department and its officers have criminal jurisdiction over all Tribal members and non-member indians on their land. So my interpretation of this is that they may no be sworn peace officers, but that they are a type if law enforcement officer. Please refer to 25USC sec. 1301 which is pursuant to PL280.

So you may think they are security guards, which you are correct, most Tribal Public safety is security, but NOT ALL are just security.

Another thing, to the OP: do understand that tribal officers are not covered the same as peace officers per LEOSA or the LEOBR regardless of the agencys standing unless the agency is POST or BIA.

Last edited by splitmx; 11-20-2012 at 4:59 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 8:18 AM

I've worked on three different rezervations in Northern CA as part of my job, not as a tribal LEO but as a county guy working with them. Feel free to PM me where you are going to work or I can tell you where I worked and offer some insight or notes.

As a general aside, starting out on a rez with a POST certificate isn't an awful foot in the dor, but if your two year and out plan drags into 5 or 6 you start to get the shifty "this guy worked for this organization for too long" stink about you. That's just my feeling from working in our pareticular area. Others may disagree.