Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-04-2012, 7:03 PM

Default Burris tactical ar pivot ring

Has anyone used the Burris tactical ar pivot ring and if so could you tell me what you think about it thinking about getting a vortex magnifier and I want to keep my rear iron sight on the gun heard problems with there mount clearing it also curious if it will be tall enough for the eotech 516.
Thanks a lot for any help
Old 09-04-2012, 7:17 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

they are not available yet... have been on back order for many, many months... Burris keeps pushing back the expected date.

I believe they had a version (well over a year ago, maybe more) and it had issues - AFAIK, they addressed whatever problems they had with the version that is in waiting...

I have one on order through Optics Planet

There aren't many quick detach, swing out magnifier mounts made (ADM makes one, but I don't know of any others)... I had one, sold it (as well as Lucid RDS and mag)...

I'm looking forward to the Burris AR pivot ring, I really like their other mounts.

-----------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCloud9 View Post
We're screwed. The left was fooled by Obama and the right is being fooled by Trump.
1/20/17...

My VOTE Still Made A Difference - Did yours?
... You're Welcome
Old 09-04-2012, 8:15 PM

Default Burris ar pivot ring

Thanks LB for the info could you answer a couple questions.
1) do you push the button and then it springs to the side.
2) do you know what the height is from top of rail to middle of ring.
Thanks for any help
Old 09-04-2012, 9:14 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeydad55 View Post
Thanks LB for the info could you answer a couple questions.
1) do you push the button and then it springs to the side.
2) do you know what the height is from top of rail to middle of ring.
Thanks for any help
from my understanding, yes you push button to swing out (manually swing in I think)...

I'm pretty sure it's 1" high - it's designed to sit behind their AR-TER ring and Extra High XTR rings (which are 1")...

I have the AR-TER mounted with a Sun Optic swing mount behind it (for now, until AR Pivot ring is released)... the Sun Optic mount is Extra High too (which I'm pretty sure is 1")

I can measure it tomorrow if you want to be certain... or call Burris, I've talked with them a few times - very helpful... but I'm pretty sure it's 1"

Quote:
We're screwed. The left was fooled by Obama and the right is being fooled by Trump.
1/20/17...

... You're Welcome
Old 09-04-2012, 9:34 PM

Default Burris mount

Thanks for your help I will call Burris tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2012, 9:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I'm anxious to see the AR Pivot Ring, myself.

Burris told me that the original design (from 2010, I believe) never made it to market because of a copyright infringement. At SHOT Show 2012 (Jan of this year) they re-introduced it (using the exact same part number as before). Now, it's 8 months later, and... still no AR Pivot Ring. The ETA has moved, and moved, and moved again. We're currently showing ETA of 9/18.

Just got off the phone with Burris Tech Support, and I'm told they are "running way behind due to an engineering change".

By comparison, when the Hubble Space Telescope was discovered to have a manufacturing defect in the mirror after launch in April 1990, they had it repaired in December of 1993:

"The seven astronauts selected for the mission were trained intensively in the use of the hundred or more specialized tools that would be needed.[68] The Space Shuttle Endeavour mission STS-61 took place in December 1993, and involved installation of several instruments and other equipment over 10 days."

You would think this:

could be redesigned and produced in two and a half years... just sayin'. Looks like a great product, I hope it eventually does come to market.

Mark H.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 11-09-2012, 1:28 PM
Made in the USA

Optics Planet has it in stock now... I had one on back order and just got email notification (it's in stock on their site as well)...

It sucks because just last week I bought LaRue LT755 mount

The AR Pivot Ring better be worth the long @ss wait... one way or another I'll probably have one of the mounts for sale...

Quote:
1/20/17...

... You're Welcome
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

In, and right back out - I didn't even get to see one!

I guess I'll wait for your review. Pics would be greatly appreciated!

Mark H.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Okay, so I ran out in the warehouse and looked at one in the shipping department. This product is not spring loaded, you must move it into position. The button is stiffer than I expected, but bacame easier to move as I pressed it a few times. It required some force to move the ring, but I imagine with a magnifier to grab for some leverage, it would be easier. It loosened up a bit as I worked it, as well. The button must be held in as the movement is started - watching the button return, I believe there is a cam inside. These are all going out, so I would still like to hear revies and see photos. Here's a look, fresh out of the package:

Mark H.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864

Last edited by OpticsPlanet; 11-13-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

questions -- it's a high mount (lower 1/3 co-witness), correct? how secure is the lockup when it's behind the optic?
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 11-13-2012, 3:38 PM
Made in the USA

thanks for the mini review Mark... I just ordered mine today (card that was on file had expired so my back order was not filled yet)...

I'm now running LaRue LT755s (really nice mount, but pricey)... when I get the AR Pivot Ring I'll swap it in place for a while.

Quote:
1/20/17...

... You're Welcome
Old 11-19-2012, 3:30 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongpoint View Post
questions -- it's a high mount (lower 1/3 co-witness), correct? how secure is the lockup when it's behind the optic?
just got mine... haven't mounted it yet but it looks to be absolute (not lower 1/3) - which I prefer anyway... tall mounts ruin my cheek weld.

When positioned inward (which would be behind rds), there's a minor amount of wiggle (stiff, not loose so I'm not sure if recoil would make it move)... when positioned to the outside (swung out) there's a little less play.

It's a unique design in that you push the button/rod which I guess releases a cam lock of some sort inside - and swing in or out manually... not as convenient as the spring type that you move forward while swinging (easier and quicker one handed).

All in all it's a decent mount. What I don't like is the direction it apparently was designed for... It seems to be designed to swing right. I don't do that - I always mount to swing left... this one can be mounted for left swing but because of design, the magnifier will not sit very close to rds; unless you have one with a real long neck on the objective side, which most do not... I'm planning to get a Lucid 3x which has a bell shaped objective, that might actually work okay with this mount.

I've really fallen in love with the LaRue fts that I've been using so I think the AR pivot ring will be a back-up or go on something else in the future... Or I'll sell it at some point (I want to at least shoot with it a bit first).

Optics Planet hooked up a good price... I ordered it a damn long time ago when they had free shipping and I used some kind of coupon... it ended up being $68.xx shipped. Even at it's current price, it's probably worth it.

LaRue's swing mount kicks @ss but costs twice as much... Sun Optics has a non quick detach swing mount that is actually pretty damn good (looks identical to Primary Arms swing mount)... But since there are so few QD options, the Burris AR Pivot Ring fills a niche.

ETA: I guess I should mention the quick detach itself... it's like the other Burris QD products the PEPR, the AR TER, and XTR (I have them all and like 'em all) - easy to use, pretty stout and solid.

Quote:
1/20/17...

... You're Welcome

Last edited by LBDamned; 11-19-2012 at 3:35 PM..