Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-08-2012, 7:28 PM

There is a little bit of that destruction of my man ego but then common sense and my lack of funds kicks in and then I am more than happy to shoot my 10/22. Besides hunting rabbits with my Glock or my .303 British may be overkill... Plus you can do so much to modding popular .22s like the 10/22 and you have a lot of versatility with those weapon mods.
Old 10-09-2012, 8:14 AM

Those who want to make you feel "less than a man" for shooting .22 probably drive those high riding trucks and shoot .45 and .308 in order to compensate for other personal shortcomings. Not to say shooting 45 and .308 means you have shortcomings! Let's see, if I shoot my 12ga. it is about .28 per trigger pull. My .308 will cost me almost four times that! I love my .357 but it is costing about .30 per bang. I have not shot the 7.62 for sometime now due to the ban at my local range on steel core ammo. Out comes the 10/22 or my 22/45 and my costs go to a bit less than .03 per pop. So when I go up to Burro Canyon, I will take most of my firearms, but guess which ones get the most use? Yep, the ,22s!
Old 10-09-2012, 8:21 AM

I just added a Savage Rascal to the collection. For me!

Mock away!!
Old 10-09-2012, 9:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You know I have no problem with the "STIGMA". When ever my wife makes fun of my Buckmark my response is...

"I'll put it away when you can out shoot me at 25 yards with your PPK".

So far she is not even close. But on another note. I guess her brothers were razzing her about me shooting a .22LR so in order for her to abate the ridicule she bought me a SIG P226R SS for my B-Day.

So you know what... make fun of me all you want! It's paying off in spades!

Albert Einstein
Old 10-09-2012, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibefuz View Post
When folks at work ask me what guns i shoot the most i tell them a 22. they usually scoff and say "ha, thats nothing, 22's wont do that much damage to a target" then i reply "22's out kill more people in the world then any other round, would you ever volunteer to get shot with a lowly 22?" they walk away with nothing to say every time.

And when i take 1st time shooters to the range they always come back to the 22 no matter what big center fire guns my buddies brought
+100 Funny how the people that claim the .22 is a "toy" and can't hurt anything would never volunteer their body to prove it. 22's are excellent to introduce new shooters to the sport without scaring them away.
Old 10-09-2012, 3:26 PM

I love my .22's

and range days for less than $100?
Who can talk down on that?

When they kick in your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?
Old 10-09-2012, 3:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Another was I was shooting @ 100yds with my Marlin .22WMR rifle and my Savage .17HMR. A couple of guys next to me were blasting away at 50yds with their ARs. They asked what I was shooting and said "Oh" and we all continued to shoot. 30 minutes later we all retrieved our targets and as I arrived back at my bench they asked to see how I was shooting. Both the Marlin and Savage were around 1" groups of 5 shots. They seemed a little bewildered. I asked to see their targets and they just said they needed more practice and weren't shooting seriously. Really?
Now there's something I've been wondering about: how do guys get past the stigma of shooting their centerfire rifles at 25 and 50 yards? I've been seeing more and more of it and it's got me scratching my head.
Old 10-09-2012, 4:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Tactical View Post
Now there's something I've been wondering about: how do guys get past the stigma of shooting their centerfire rifles at 25 and 50 yards? I've been seeing more and more of it and it's got me scratching my head.
I don't think they feel that there is a stigma since there's so many of them doing it. I hadn't been to Chabot for a while and was shocked to see they had more 50 yard tables now, all full of people shooting AR/AK/.308's, etc.

Personally I don't care, since it means the 100 yard line is less crowded. Unless I want to sight something in at a shorter distance then the wait can get annoying.

Took a noob with me to the range a few days ago and started him off at 100 yards and he was shooting smaller groups that most of the people at 50. It probably helps that I(at least I think I do) have a vague idea of what I'm doing and how to explain things. A lot of people that go to the range, not so much.

Most people don't know about appleseed, and a lot of other classes appear to be expensive(although wasting $500 in 5.56 shooting 6" groups at 50 yards is more expensive than any class I've ever heard of). There are also a lot of folks who know people like themselves who are "into guns" and actually shooting, but they don't know anyone with any experience that can give them some basic advice. Some folks just want to make a bunch of noise(you find the occasional thread in the rimfire section about wanting a .22lr pistol or rifle with more recoil because everything seems too wimpy) and don't care as long as they hit the huge sheet of paper.

Heck, I've seen people at ranges with shotguns just shredding paper with round after round of bird shot for no reason other than the sake of doing it. But if that's what they want to do, I really don't care.
Old 10-09-2012, 4:56 PM

I'll shoot at the 50 yard tables when there aren't any spaces at 100 or 75 yds....

or to take that first step to sight in a new scope

When they kick in your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?
Old 10-09-2012, 5:05 PM

Starting off on a .22 does a lot for basic marksmanship but it can also cause issues with flinching and over compensation when it comes to handling recoil. For example, when I started shooting I shot my 10/22. I then shot someones .308 and I was way off target every time over compensating for the recoil that the .308 (fearing the recoil if you will) and then I switched back to the 10/22 and was perfect again. I think it can do a lot of damage to fearing recoil, I eventually got over it but I think perfecting a higher caliber will actually make you more accurate when shooting a .22 but eh... I am relative newby.
Old 10-09-2012, 6:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I absolutely love .22's. I get more people hanging out at my bench when I bring my belt-fed than the guys with their full autos. I even let folks shoot it for the cost of loading my belts.

I'm looking at a Calico or American 180 as my next .22.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT
Transferable machine guns, SBR's, SBS's, Suppressors.
Machine guns wanted!
MIDDLEMAN TRANSFERS STARTING AT $30
PWS LWRC POF LMT RRA HK SIG SAUER

https://www.alphacatarmory.com

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376

Guns for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=730702
Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 PM

The 10-22 is the next on my list. Might even get the Pink Laminate stock. That way my wife won't feel left out. Although she likes to shoot my MP 15 the most.
Picked up a 17 HMR this year, but she is not a fan of the bolt action. The 10-22 has always been one of my all time favorites to shoot.

WWO
l---L -=OlllllllO_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)
Old 10-14-2012, 3:05 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

:-) there is no stigma only other peoples opinion's.

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 10-14-2012, 6:38 PM

I bought $150 worth of. 22 and that'll last me for years. I also take tactical classes with my phoenix arms hp22a and my 10/22.

if guys want to burn $300 or $400 worth of ammo for $150 class, good for them. Id rather spend $20 and take more classes.

Their ARs and 1911s jam anyway lol
Old 10-14-2012, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I have plenty of .30+ rifles, so I really don't care what people think when I buy a .22.

Besides, .22s are fun too.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 10-14-2012, 7:29 PM

^^Can't ever have too many firearms...22's or otherwise!

Robert
Old 10-18-2012, 9:29 AM

I normally just ignore the fools. I hear snickering when at the range on occasion but don't care what others think.

Even funner, at the indoor just plink away while some tool talks smack how his 9 is a MAN'S caliber...... Then while they aren't looking pull out a .44 loaded HOT and send a few downrange. Then laugh at their “girlfriends” caliber.

Seriously own it. They are fun.

I reload in bulk so cost isn't a deciding factor on what caliber I want to shoot at the range. The deciding factor for me is what I want to shoot that day. More often then not my caliber of choice is .22lr.
Old 10-18-2012, 9:38 AM

Along the same line is the new shooter who brings his girlfriend wife whatever whom has never shot and then are surprised when they hate it.

About that time I will start talking and offer a few rounds from one of my .22's. Voila instant fan.

Every real shooter I have met shoots them. The posers can talk all the smack they want.
Old 11-07-2012, 9:38 PM

:Any smart woman will tell you that it's not the size of the instrument, it's the determination with which it is applied...
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 11-08-2012, 6:05 AM

The people I have personally met that bag on .22lr are terrible at shooting. I mean, their 1911's make nice big holes, but my buckmark makes 1 decent hole by the end of the day right in the center. They need a 2 feet of tape to measure their groups @ 7 yards.
I think I would go with a Telecaster. The bolt on neck would be the strongest to deal with terrorist zombies. I know most folks will say Strat, but I think the trem system is unreliable.
I mean, who needs to dive bomb when SHTF? That only happens in movies.
CERTIFIABLE RIMFIRE JUNKIE.

Alpinestars Track Pants for sale!
Old 11-08-2012, 6:15 AM

I just buy more......went to pick up my second 15-22 via PPT on Tuesday and ended up with a Ruger Take Down in jail. I have a variey of calibers in both handguns and rifles but I love my rimfires.......Fun, and Inexpensive to shoot.....thats a win - win in my book.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1290 View Post
I bought $150 worth of. 22 and that'll last me for years. I also take tactical classes with my phoenix arms hp22a and my 10/22.

if guys want to burn $300 or $400 worth of ammo for $150 class, good for them. Id rather spend $20 and take more classes.

Their ARs and 1911s jam anyway lol
yeah no kidding. I just bought 5250 rounds for $170 shipped (From Dunns, thanks to whoever posted the site in another thread!)

That's a lot of fun right there! That's adding to the several 500 packs I bought previously.

Adding a Marlin 795 to the mix and I have a pistol and rifle that shoot the same cheapo ammo.

The bottom line is that I enjoy shooting, it's fun, it's challenging. It can be expensive or it can be cheap...

Besides, who cares what other people think. If someone said to me "That's a sissy round" well, so what?
Old 11-12-2012, 6:51 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Stigma is a high school thing and ceases to have any meaning the day after you graduate.

It is unfortunate that some people carry it's imagined significance throughout their adult lives.

I spent my last day in high school 30+ years ago. I regularly shoot .22 as well as other calibers and I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 11-12-2012, 7:01 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

If anybody give me crap about shooting my .22 I'd ask them to shoot next to me when I shoot my SVT. The SVT scares the kids !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 11-12-2012, 7:21 PM
The other white meat.
CGN Contributor

Just put a 22/45 in jail today and while i was in the shop a dad was having his son hold the SR22. Watching that kids face light up as he held (properly) the pistol and watching his dad beam in pride was just an awesome thing to see.

Anyone who dislikes 22LR either doesn't have a dad or had a dad who didn't love them. LOL
Old 11-13-2012, 5:41 PM

Ive had a few people sneer at my 22s, I usually move my targets out to the big boy range at the next cease fire, and after a sight correction proceed to remove the center of the target. "Most" of my 22s will shoot easily into 3" at 100yds, "some" will shoot into 1". Then when we compare targets the "commando's" don't usually have much to say after that. DR
Old 11-13-2012, 6:09 PM

I'm willing to bet anybody who thinks they're superior because their shooting a center fire weapon over a rim fire is the same kind of mental midget who thinks their big lifted truck gives them higher priority on the road.
Old 11-17-2012, 1:59 PM

For me, forget the cost comparison, its the WEIGHT. If a time comes you have to carry the ammo on your back, whats 3000 rds of centerfire vs. 3000 rounds of .22? Nuff said!

And an extension of that is that by the time you get off three rounds of centerfire i can get off six of .22--lets say from a rifle. And you know what, that fellow (or other animal) you shot is a dead man walking. 22-cal jumps and richochets all over the place inside a body and even if that fellow who you encountered out in the forest gets to a hospital soon, chances are he isnt going to make it for all the damage a .22 has done.

I have larger calibers which have a better drop dead factor but considering ammo cost, ammo weight and ability to become proficient sooner i choose .22 first even with its delayed-reaction death specs.

If anyone doesnt believe a .22 is a serious weapon, dont listen to me, just go to any Emergency Room and take up the topic with a doctor then come back here.
Old 11-17-2012, 2:35 PM

I don't let "their" Stigma bother me.
Secretly I look down my nose at anyone that can't appreciate a sweet rim fire.
Old 11-17-2012, 3:38 PM
Calguns Addict

That should answer it, DAMN FINE Rifles shown!!! I love me some .22, Hogue stock bunch of Volq. parts, I need to Shoot .22 more! I shoot a lot of Handgun & often overlook my .22, it`s the most Fun Gun I have.

I`ve heard similar comments about .22`s & AR`s...That`s EXACTLY what I say, "Care to stand in front of it" Hmmm, no takers yet

Link prolly shown, need to learn to post Pic.

Last edited by SB1964; 06-12-2014 at 12:52 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 9:12 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laythor View Post
Anyone who dislikes 22LR either doesn't have a dad or had a dad who didn't love them. LOL
My father was an active shooter since he was a boy. When we would go out shooting together he would bring his M1, his Springfield, his 1911 and his Smith & Wesson .38 Special. But he also always brought out this old High Standard .22 pistol he bought for my mother before I was born. And later he got himself a 10/22. He had a strange fascination for those rimfires.

For years I never understood it. I'd shoot a magazine or two out of the High Standard, but go back to shooting the real guns as soon as possible. The first gun I purchased for myself was a Smith & Wesson Model 629.

But then in middle age I suddenly experienced a strange affection for .22s. I must have over a dozen of them, rifles, pistols and a revolver. These days I think I prefer shooting .22s over other rifle calibers.

Maybe it's something that comes with gray hair.

Last edited by Mesa Tactical; 11-19-2012 at 9:14 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

I rather see a big old guy shooting his little .22 pistol with deadly accuracy than a young guy with his oversized tacticooled-out LWRC REPR with no clue. Ironically, this is generally what I see when I go to my local indoor range. Needless to say, I have far more respect for the old chap and his lil' .22 pistol.

First rifle I ever got was a over & under .410/.22 Savage... wish I still had it.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

"I am sullied - no more" Col. Ted Westhusing
Old 11-19-2012, 8:03 PM

I don't really give a crap what people think. I love my .22s and I'm always looking to get more. I had a Remington 870...sold it. I had a M&P 9mm...sold it. I just didn't have fun with those. I also have a sporterized Mosin 91/30 which I have a blast with. Point being, I don't give a rat's butt what others think, I shoot to have fun, if I'm not having fun out at the range something is wrong. I get a kick out of seeing those guys at the range that have their AR15, 1911 or Glocks, but can't shoot worth a crap. They buy these guns because they see them on tv or because they hear that only a .45 will stop a bad guy so they need this for their HD weapon. Yet, they don't even know how to handle their own weapon. I can't tell you how many people I made blush because they see me with my 22s, we start talking, they let me shoot their nice big gun and I end up outshooting them with their own weapon. You're right, there is a stigma that .22 owners are somehow "beginners" or guys who can't handle a "real gun".

This is a great sport/hobby/pastime, and I'm glad in a way that this market is booming and I see new shooters everyday...but there are some dumbasses out there who shouldn't be allowed to buy a gun. These beginner shooters who bypass the .22 and never learn to shoot properly and jump straight away to the shiny Kimber 1911 and Glocks. So I say let them look, let them think they are better, but when it comes down to it we all know who the idiots are.

Old 03-30-2013, 3:26 PM

Sorry for the bump but we ALL have a love for the 22. I started out with this in the boy scouts. My kids will start out on this caliber. In retrospect I think everyones' first gun (yes you too macho man ex navy seal/SOG ninja warrior) NEEDS to be a 22lr. It will teach basic proper form , handling, safety and competence without the flinch or the recoil. This is vital for beginners to practice before moving on to the larger calibers.
Admittedly i didnt pick up a 10/22 again until after i had my 12/308/45 in the safe. When i got really tired modding and refining my 30-06 very stressful and sometimes infuriating range sessions to "prove the mods helped" i put everything away and picked up a 10/22 just to have fun again. I wasnt really a cost issue. I just felt like a kid again plinking at reactive targets. . And nothin like seeing your kids having fun with it too.
No collection complete without a 22 rifle and handgun.
My main bug out gun will be a 22 and boy do i have choices.
Old 03-30-2013, 3:43 PM

Those that can shoot a .22, do. Those that won't, give advice on gun forums.
Old 03-30-2013, 3:55 PM
nulla lex prohibet
CGN Contributor

The last four guns I have bought were all .22's

High Standard Sportmatic
Ruger MKII
ATI STG-44
Winchester M-67

and coming next week a Browning BL22

We go shoot and take all sorts of cool things but it always seems to end up with head to head 22's on 100 yd steel

And I'm the guy who when .22 bricks (do people still use that term?) were $10ish and headed to $17ish went out and bought 30 of them

Last edited by psssniper; 03-30-2013 at 4:11 PM..
Old 03-31-2013, 8:20 PM

I have several 22's, I love them and I want more. TBH I have never even considered what anyone else at the LGS has thought when picking one up. I have only caught any kind of grief for them once. I was discussing a recent purchase of a 10/22 with a coworker when my boss sarcastically blurted out "Really...a 22?". To which HIS boss responded "what's wrong with a 10/22, I've got one". The ridicule was pretty much over at that point lol.

Last edited by Burly; 03-31-2013 at 8:29 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 4:22 AM

No stigma. A rimfire is a key component to your inventory.
People that look down on rimfire are just people that own guns - they are not true 'shooters'.
Plus they are probably the mall ninja types that care more about making noise and smoke.
Effectively, I wouldn't respect their opinion so why would I care what they think of me?
ymmv
Old 04-01-2013, 2:03 PM

I always figure the guy who puts someone down for shooting .22 is just trying to compensate for a small p--is. WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK!
Old 04-01-2013, 3:33 PM

.22?, try going to the range with only your Air Rifle. I did't care though. I just kept hitting spent shells and other small stuff on the ground out to 45 yards.
Bought a Glenfield/Marlin 60 in December. Picking up a Ruger MK II tomorrow, this fills in the holes i had in my weapons selection. It is really fun to shoot small bore. I do get some funny looks because my Air Rifle looks more like a rifle than my Glenfield. See you on the range.