Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-12-2012, 4:00 PM

Default NEW TO RIFLE SCOPES, NEED ANSWERS

I just purchased a Millett trs 4-16x50 SFP mildot with 1/4 in turrets from Primary Arms. It will go on a ar15 with 18'' barrel. The mildot reticle is accurate at 10x. Im planning on shooting from 300 to 600 yards. Ranging with the mildot will be done at 10x only, and i understand converting Mils to Moa thanks to HKDAVE.

Question,

What power should i zero the scope at?

When i adjust the turrets for bullet drop, Does the scope have to be in the 10x power to be accurate or can i use it in any magnification?

How do i make a range card?

Do i need to make a range cards for each magnification like 4x, 8x, 10x and 14x for the scope to be accurate at those manification?

And last, The Mildot reticle, It is a dot followed by a hashmark and then another dot. Is the scope from dot to dot 1mil or 1moa? The scope says moa turret adjustments but the reticle is in mildot.

Be easy, im new at this and yes a have used the search button. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-12-2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr20099mm View Post
I just purchased a Millett trs 4-16x50 SFP mildot with 1/4 in turrets from Primary Arms. It will go on a ar15 with 18'' barrel. The mildot reticle is accurate at 10x. Im planning on shooting from 300 to 600 yards. Ranging with the mildot will be done at 10x only, and i understand converting Mils to Moa thanks to HKDAVE.

Question,

Any power. Your zero does not change with the magnification. The center of the reticle is the center of the reticle.

When i adjust the turrets for bullet drop, Does the scope have to be in the 10x power to be accurate or can i use it in any magnification?
When dialing for drop you can be on any power. When you dial, you are bringing the center of the reticle to your POI for a known distance.

There are some templates you can download, or you can just take notes on your dial-ups and/or holdovers

Do i need to make a range cards for each magnification like 4x, 8x, 10x and 14x for the scope to be accurate at those manification?
Your Dial-ups will not change with the power. Your reticle (for hold-overs and ranging) is only good at 10x

And last, The Mildot reticle, It is a dot followed by a hashmark and then another dot. Is the scope from dot to dot 1mil or 1moa? The scope says moa turret adjustments but the reticle is in mildot.
Most likely the Dots are every Mil and the hash marks are 1/2 Mils

Be easy, im new at this and yes a have used the search button. Thanks for your input.
filled in my answers in red

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 11-12-2012, 6:40 PM

Thanks a lot
Old 11-24-2012, 7:59 AM

Is there a video on YouTube that shows the process on how to collect the data for your range card, how to do it?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Is there a video on YouTube that shows the process on how to collect the data for your range card, how to do it?
Just go to the range and "walk it out". Bring lots of ammo and have fun shooting. Helps if you have a spotter to tell you how far you are off, but not necessary if you can spot your own shots through the scope. Get your 100 yd zero and then shoot 200-300-400-500-etc and dial up your turret til you get on target at each range. Write it down. If you can spot your own shots and measure your impact/miss with your reticle then you just dial in the amount you are off/low/high.
Example; you are set on your 100 yd zero, you shoot at 400yds and see the dirt fly below your target. Using your reticle, measure from the center of the target to the spot where the bullet hit. Say its 1.5 Mils low, dial up your turret 1.5 Mils and shoot again. Pretty easy, just measure your misses, dial correction, then shoot again, repeat.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 11-24-2012, 3:03 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

Question,

Pm me ill help you out

Dimitri