Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM

Default Scope ring height on AR?

Ok, so I am picking my new AR up tomorrow from jail and I have decided to mount my larger scope on it. The AR is a rainier ruc with a 20" ultramatch .223 Wylde barrel. The scope is a 4/16 power scope and i have one set of tall scope rings but am not sure if those are what I should be mounting with. I am planning on using this rifle for shooting 300-600 yards to play with the abilities of the rifle and see what it will do with some nice match grade ammo.

When I see aim point red dots mounted on AR's they are always on hIgh mounts. Is that what I want with the scope as well? I have an AR with a P.E.P.R. QD Mount with a 1-4 vortex viper on it now and I like it a lot. Am I looking for that kind of height or more like the tall aim points? Obviously I have to have clearance for the objectIves diameter but was wondering what is the generally accepted placement for scope height on an AR.

Any helpful insights would be appreciated

Thanks!

roadking
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The RDS mounts according to cheek welds on the stock and to co-witness with the Iron Sights, either 1/3 lower or 100% full.

Your front Objective diameter determines the height as it does on any rifle. The front FSB will not be seen, but if it doesnt fold down will block some incoming light and cause a slight haze effect. The cheek weld will be determined by the height as well so think about getting an adjustable stock like a magpul.
Old 11-12-2012, 6:55 AM
Veteran Member

RoadKing, generally anywhere floating around 1.5" will suffice. It will allow you to have proper cheek weld.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 11-12-2012, 6:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm I should clarify, 1.5" to the centerline of the optic.

So yes, about the height of your PEPR mount. The front objective will look quite high, but if it's much lower, it's difficult to get proper cheek weld.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 11-12-2012, 8:59 AM

Cool, thanks for the info! I will have to get the tape measure out and see what height I need to get the 1.5" centerline height.

Thanks again!!!

Roadking.