Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-07-2012, 6:35 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Default Favor to ask of any women shooters in San Diego?

A friend of mine wants to purchase her first firearm, and lives in San Diego. Unfortunately, I live way too far away for a day or weekend trip down to help her through the process, and I am unfamiliar with any of the local gun shops down there. I would like to avoid her going to a shop that's going to scare her off, talk down to her, or be otherwise unhelpful...or at least have someone go with her that can help guide her through the process.

I spent a half hour last night explaining to her that there is no such thing as a "gun permit" to buy a gun, and I still don't know if she believes me.

Also, are there any classes in the area that I you could recommend for her? She's a total beginner and will need basic instruction in a setting that isn't intimidating, and live fire practice.

Any leads for me, or am I going to have to plan a road trip south?
Old 11-07-2012, 7:20 AM

She may be mistaking permit to buy a gun for the HSC which is required to buy a gun. Maybe seeing if there is a Women on Target workshop in that area?
Old 11-07-2012, 7:26 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

perhaps Powaybob will chime in here. his wife bought a pistol last march in that area. i don't think he's been here for a bit, though. you could try sending him a PM as to what shop she made her purchase at.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 11-07-2012, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Pistol/revolver/rifle?
Old 11-07-2012, 7:31 AM

My wife and I hold range sessions occasionally for new shooters from her office at our outdoor gun club in east county. Our gun club also hosts 4 Women on Target events a year. Your friend would be welcome to attend. PM and we can discuss it more.
Old 11-07-2012, 8:03 AM

I would advise encouraging her to take the firearms course San Diego Community College offers. The first class takes place at the Miramar campus, the rest at the San Diego Police range. The class I participated in was mostly comprised of female first time shooters.

The cost of the course is unbeatable. You just pay for ammo, eyes & ears, and a one-time range fee. They supply the guns and targets.

-Eric
Old 11-07-2012, 8:46 AM

People are right here. Your friend should search the web for "handgun safety women" and see what handgun classes there are. She might prefer one that is all women, maybe not. She can also search "shooting ranges San Diego" and see what comes up. Many of them have regularly schedules beginning shooting classes.

That's what I did, went to the class, and loved it. Then I just started researching guns and ranges. I visited some local gun shops and observed how they treated me. I read everything I could on the internet about local and state and Federal requirements.

At the gun store, If they won't show her anything but a .22 she should just leave. If they're rude to her or ignore her, she should just leave. She's probably a smart consumer and can tell when she's not being treated as a customer. When she gets to the gun shop, she should ask if they are on commission. If so, she should thank them and leave. They're only human and will try to push her to the top priced items.

Renting before buying is a good choice. Prevents a lot of grief.

The Womens Forum has tons of info on buying a first gun and learning to shoot. She should read this and other Calguns forums to make some friends in the local area and hear their opinions on ranges and shops.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 11-07-2012 at 4:41 PM..
Old 11-07-2012, 3:38 PM

Renting before purchase as above is great advice. There are a number of So Cal ranges that rent, best place I've taken a few people is http://www.fieldtimetargetandtraining.com they have a HUGE selection of rental options, and they also offer pretty decent training for women shooters.

I wouldnt buy just simply staring at a gun at a shop. But Riflegear is also a WONDERFUL place to buy a pistol. Over all I say go try m&p and glocks, those are the two carried in my work places when I worked here in CA everywhere it was GLOCK, in OK some were glock some were mp.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:06 PM

I highly recommend the folks at Poway Weapons and Gear as a place to look at different handguns and talk with the staff. My wife accompanied me there and handled a number of handguns and decided that she liked the feel of the Glock 19 and the S&W M&P9.

(Prior to that we went shooting in the desert and I had her try the handguns I had, which included both revolvers and semi-autos. She really did not like any of them. She shot .38, .357, 9mm, and .45 auto)

But first, I suggest as was suggested to me that the lady get some individual instruction. We used Larry Renner, and paid him $50 per hour for a couple of hours. My wife and her friend Karen first had a sit down discussion with Larry, and then spent time on the range shooting a variety of guns (which we rented), including the ones she had previously identified as candidates. The whole experience did not last two hours.

Shortly thereafter, we returned to Poway Weapons and Gear where she took the Handgun Safety Certificate test (and passed with 100%). She purchased the Glock 19 after her range experience. It is her gun, and not something I got for her.

We recently went shooting out in the desert at steel targets and she is quickly getting familiar with operating it. The hardest actions for her are racking the slide and ejecting the magazine, but even those actions were becoming routine by the time we finished. She actually volunteered the day we should go shooting in the desert during our Thanksgiving break, so we will be going out again.

A couple of comments: the lady should get a shooting glove- a golf glove or bicycle glove will do fine. The glove seems to provide a little protection to the skin annd allows my wife to be more aggressive with the slide. Second, paper targets are ok to shoot for a while, but steel targets are more fun because they make a noise and move a bit when you hit them FInally, shooting outdoors is more pleasant than indoors. There are no crowds and a lot less noise and stale air. And of course there aren't people in the lane next to you blasting away at a target 3 yards away with an M-4.

Those are my thoughts and experiences. Feel free to PM me or refer your lady friend to PM me.
Old 11-09-2012, 7:13 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

i knew you'd have a good shop to recommend! good advice, too.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 11-09-2012, 8:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Here's a direct link to the NRA Women on Target classes:
http://www.nrahq.org/women/isc/clinics.asp?Location=CA

They have one coming up on Jan 13 in San Diego:
Quote:
Alpine - January 13, 2013
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
$25
Registration Deadline 12/30/12
NRA Members Council San Diego/Lemon Grove Rod & Gun Club; Alpine, CA
My wife took that class and it was great!

As for gun stores, I would rank them in this order when considering what they have to offer and stress level:
1) Poway Weapons & Gear. Friendly staff, good selection, lots of HD ammo, relaxed atmosphere.
2) Parallax Tactical. Probably the #1 store in the county, but is busy around lunch time. If you go in the 'off' period when they have time to talk, it's a fantastic store. Friendly staff, and women on staff. Best prices in the county or anywhere else.
3) DAS. Very interesting selection of firearms, friendly.
4) Iron Sights. Friendly, incredible selection, has a range so it can get busy. Very good place to test guns you are considering, many rentals. Women on staff.
5) Turners San Marcos. Good selection, good prices when on sale, have women on staff.

I would stay away from:
1) Socal Guns (They are going away anyway, RIP.) They invented FUD. Surly old men on staff.
2) Discount Gun Mart, Morena. If you know what you want, they will 'process' your paperwork. Tend to find FUD here. Grumpy guys on staff.
3) American Shooting Center. Busy, has a range. Mediocre selection, some FUD. A good place to shoot guns you're considering to buy since they have many rentals. They have a lady on staff. It's just not very memorable there.
4) Turners Kearny Mesa. Another place to buy a gun if you already know what you want, they tend to have good sales. Service is not attentive, they will 'process' you. Indifferent guys on staff.
Old 11-09-2012, 9:44 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

great breakdown, sd shooter!

Gun Control:
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Far as the gun store for her to go to Id suggest in east county we have p2K range 2082 Willow Glen Drive El Cajon, CA 92019 They are very respectful (dont talk down to you ) helpful and know the laws she can buy anything from a glock to a 1919

North county is Parrelex tactical 5276 Eastgate Mall San Diego, CA 92121
(619) 630-4869 they are a good shop to just avoid .the owner I forgot his name but he comes off as a dick.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Regarding gloves, I use baseball batter's gloves sometimes, with the tip of the trigger finger cut off about an inch. You get both right and left leather gloves for about $ 20 in Big5. When my hands are sore or tired, they are just great, a little extra padding goes a long way.

She shouldn't feed weird about the slide and the mag release. They are stiff on a brand new Glock. My girly hands just killed me the first couple weeks, but the Glock softened and my hands cowboy'd up. Same thing with brand new Glock mags. Magula's rule.

Tell her we said good luck, and to log in here for news, support and advice. And humor! OMG, Movie Zombie and Bugguts are the funniest people in the universe!
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not a lady, but Discount Gun Mart in Santee seems to have a good staff. They have an indoor range and rentals (hand guns only). If she were to rent a hand gun she would have to be accompanied with another person. They also have a lady on staff.

A lot depends on where in San Diego she lives, and how far she's willing to drive.

Almost forgot about The Women on Target venue. Early this year they had one at South Bay Rod & Gun Club. I asked my wife if she'd like to go, and she jumped on it. Got her signed up and she really had a great time. This is her target using the .22 rifle.
First time she had ever shot a rifle. I was proud of her!

Last edited by GMG; 11-09-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Old 11-09-2012, 4:14 PM

Sir, you may have a problem......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
I'm not a lady, but Discount Gun Mart in Santee seems to have a good staff. They have an indoor range and rentals (hand guns only). If she were to rent a hand gun she would have to be accompanied with another person. They also have a lady on staff.

A lot depends on where in San Diego she lives, and how far she's willing to drive.

Almost forgot about The Women on Target venue. Early this year they had one at South Bay Rod & Gun Club. I asked my wife if she'd like to go, and she jumped on it. Got her signed up and she really had a great time. This is her target using the .22 rifle.
First time she had ever shot a rifle. I was proud of her!

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 11-11-2012, 8:17 AM

SD Shooter, that is a great synopsis of San Diego area stores. The only one I have not been to is Parallax. I now do most of my purchases at Poway W&G but Discount Guns on Morena has been decent to me since I'm a guy. ASC I totally agree, limited selection and limited interest by the staff.

I just bought an XD 45 tactical from Poway last Thurs. Not a great price but at least they had what I wanted. They have had a rush since the election of people buying while they still can.