Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-28-2012, 3:35 PM

Default Loving my Trijicon TR-24!!

So I took out the Tr-24 today and shot it between 10 yards all the way out to 200 yards and loved it! It is the best of all worlds.... at 4x I was able to keep everything within a few inches at 200 yards and feel like I should try some 300 yard shots next time I go out there.

Here is a 10 round group in 30 seconds at 50 yards w/ XM-193 ball ammo and my shaky hands:

Action shot... going for the 200 yard line:

And here is the rifle and scope:
"Rule #3: Double Tap"
Old 10-28-2012, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Grats on the optic, I love Trijicon products, I run an ACOG on mine.

The no battery always on design is fantastic. Great glass and an overall excellent quality product.

I would be a little happier with the TR-24 if they put a BDC reticle or something with some Mil or Moa markers for holdover shots which is why I ended up with a Vortex PST 1-4x, but their daylight illumination blows in comparison to the Trijicon gear.

Still a fantastic optic, enjoy it.
Old 10-28-2012, 4:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have been kicking around the idea of getting one myself. Whats the eye relief like? Can I mount it far forward. Most of the time my nose is nearly touching the charging handle.
Old 10-28-2012, 5:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
I have been kicking around the idea of getting one myself. Whats the eye relief like? Can I mount it far forward. Most of the time my nose is nearly touching the charging handle.
If you shoot with your nose the charging handle with this optic you would be way too close. It has about 4Ē of eye relief.

You can mount it as far forward as you like, but most people prefer to keep the optic mounted on the upper receiver, and not the hand guard/rail. You would probably have to use a mount like the Larue SPR-E to move it as far forward as possible.

If you like shooting like that, try an ACOG TA31 4x series. You would be in heaven as it has a short eye relief, but as a trade off a very generous field of view.
Old 10-28-2012, 5:57 PM

Exactly as ExtremeX says, you would want to mount it in a forward cant mount because it has great eye relief. And I also agree that would be nice if there were some sort of bdc like in the Acogs available for this scope. Although using a 50/200 zero it seems to do what I need without too much guess work required as far as holdovers go.
Old 10-28-2012, 6:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Very underrated optic and yes, the lack of BDC hurts its viability in certain applications. I hope the rumors of the 1-6X with BDC are true and that it won't weigh and cost a ton when released.
Old 10-28-2012, 6:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a FF so there is no issue mounting on my handguard area. I have a monolithic upper waiting also. I would like a 1-6X with BDC also.
Old 10-28-2012, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
I have a FF so there is no issue mounting on my handguard area. I have a monolithic upper waiting also. I would like a 1-6X with BDC also.
Every upper I own has a FF rail, but I’m still not overly confident when it comes to mounting scope optics to it, but that’s just me. Just because it’s free floated doesn’t mean it won’t flex or have some degree of play. The point of that FF rail is to not influence the barrels POI shift when loading the hand guard. It’s still best practice to mount an optic to the upper receiver.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 10-28-2012 at 8:24 PM..
Old 10-28-2012, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
I hope the rumors of the 1-6X with BDC are true and that it won't weigh and cost a ton when released.
If thatís true I would be pretty interested it oneÖ I have an SWFA 1-6x FFP scope on order, if itís good as they say; itís going to replace my Vortex 1-4x scope.

If the Trijicon 1-6x is a FFP scope, I would be more than interested. If not, I would probably just stick with the ACOG. Personally I think they need to leave the BDC on the ACOG and give their low power variables target turrets with a reticle designed around a traditional target scope with the icon Trijicon features.
Old 10-28-2012, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

nice set up
Old 10-28-2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
Every upper I own has a FF rail, but I’m still not overly confident when it comes to mounting scope optics to it, but that’s just me. Just because it’s free floated doesn’t mean it won’t flex or have some degree of play. The point of that FF rail is to not influence the barrels shift POI when loading the hand guard. It’s still best practice to mount an optic to the upper receiver.
ExtremeX is right in that you should mount to the upper receiver when you can as there will still be flex in a free float handguard. I think with an SPR-E mount with the scope mounted forward in the mount you should be just fine. You can see in my picture that I have the SPR mount all the way back against the irons and have the scope centered in it.

Or since you said you may be getting a monolithic upper, that would let you mount it anywhere. That was one of the reason I went with the monolithic upper on this build. Let me experiment with all sorts of glass and mounts.

No where do we sign up for this 1-6 with BDC?

Last edited by thegrayham; 10-28-2012 at 8:28 PM..
Old 10-28-2012, 8:40 PM

OP thats a nice rifle. I use JD myself and great choice of optic and mount. Thats a solid setup. Hey, is there a reason your Front BUS is installed backward?
Old 10-30-2012, 9:20 PM

Yeah did not notice backwards front sight... I threw it up there for the picture And didnt even zero them at the range.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

I just picked one up last week, I'm going to try it out this weekend. I have the LaRue SPR mount, real solid.
Old 10-31-2012, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

I do love my Trijicons as well!

I compared 2 totally different rifles- MSTN AR-15 against a Tikka T3 Bolt rifle. Both in 223 calibers. Shot both rifles @ 100 yards!

Top target was MSTN AR with 16" Lilja Barrel bottom Target was Tikka
T3 lite bolt action rifle with 22 1/4 " barrel.

Using PMC 55 GR AND Federal 55 gr ammo. Using Trijicon Accupoint scopes on both rifle. TR21R for the MSTN Rifle and TR20R for the Tikka Bolt Action rifle.

Both rifles performed outstanding and gave me dime size groupings!
Using cheap ammo!

Here's my Mstn Ar with 16' Lilja barrel

And here's my Tikka T3 Lite in 223 caliber.

Both using Trijicon Accupoint scopes. Next ammo to try will be the 77gr ASYM match ammo or the 72 gr. Black Hills match ammo, will give one hole groupings.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Mstnpete; 12-08-2012 at 2:29 PM..
Old 11-01-2012, 7:34 PM

Nice shooting Mstnpete!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks thegrayham!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I love that Tikka T3 you got there. Another member at my range let me try his out and the action is SMOOTH! I’d love to get my hands on one of those.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Ex! That was the first time I shot the Tikka after I did some upgrades to it. And the more I shot it, the tighter and tighter the groups she gave me as shown on the 6" oclock bottom dime size target. I am very pleased with the Tikka. I did change the bolt handle, bolt plastic shroud, cut and shaped the EGW railing for the scope because it was too long. And stippled the stock for better gripping.
I was very impressed on the factory out of the box trigger and the smoothness of the bolt..... I can't wait to take her out for yote hunting.
The MSTN Ar is my 3 Gun rifle.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Mstnpete; 11-01-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Old 11-03-2012, 6:06 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a 250 lb feral pig I shot at 280 yards downhill while the pig was moving.
Rifle used is a Remington VTR in 308 caliber using Trijicon Accupoint TR20R scope. First shot was a lung shot , he was still standing so I did a head shot at the same distance while he was moving and hit him on the lower jaw! He dropped right there! I had pork in the freezer for almost 2 years .....lol

I am very happy with Trijicon Accupont scopes!!!
Love the BINDON Aiming concept , shooting with both eyes open. You can shoot at any targets, 5 yards CQB type or any attacking animals, and at the same time shoot at 400 yards! Best of both worlds, works like a red dot.

Last edited by Mstnpete; 11-03-2012 at 6:42 AM..
Old 11-05-2012, 2:38 PM

Thumbs up

I use the BAC reticule version for semi-precision work on my AKM 7.62x39 at 300 yards. 8-inch 4-shot group is not hard in shooting prone using the mag as a monopod , with the requisite one flyer out of five from Russian ammo.