Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2012, 1:58 AM

Default Police Officer Psych Eval

Hey guys, I am sure I am not the first vet to have tried to become a police officer after getting out of the service. Before I get into it, I'd like to give you guys some background info as accurately as I can.

I first applied to this agency last year in January. I took their test and passed it with flying colors. I went through the background check and passed that as welll without much hassle. I also passed the polygraph test, physical agility test, and the physical. I got a letter saying that I was Conditionally hired, depending if I pass the psychological evaluation.

Fast forward to June when I took my psych eval. Upon arrival, I was greeted by my appointed "shrink" and we proceeded inside her office. She asked me a few questions that was based on my background investigation and the standardized MMPI personality test. She asked me about my deployments and if I experienced any kind of trauma. I had told her that a friend of mine had died in a firefight and I felt remorse (I mean who wouldn't right?). Every thing seems to be going well and when I was done, we shook hands and I waited for my results. About a week later, I received a letter disqualifying me for having PTSD issues and that I can fight it or wait till a year and re-apply again. Btw, nowhere near my military medical record shows that I have been diagnosed with PTSD.

I waited for a year and during that wait period, I went to support groups with other service members who suffers from PTSD. I scheduled another evaluation with LAPD and that brings me to two days ago. My shrink was not the same person from the last time, however she did have notes from the other person and she went off on that. This time around, it felt really impersonal. SHe asked questions, I answered and while I was talking, she was typing her notes on her computer. It seems that she really wasn't taking me seriously or the evaluation. She told me that she wanted me to find some proof that I went to seek some counseling and then they will either 1) Let me go back in the process or 2) Find me unfit, which I can appeal by getting evaluated by an outside agency. I believe that I had addressed my so called issues by talking about it to professionals and other PTSD sufferers. I pride myself as a person who has a good handle on their emotions despite having been through combat. I drink rarely, and If I do I limit it to 1 or 2 drinks, I don't have any kind of anger issues, I have a job, I go to school, I have a steady relationship with a woman that I plan on marrying, and most of all I lead a normal life.

With that, I ask you my fellow calgunners and vets, have any of you experienced this when applying for a police officer position? I feel as if I am being faulted for being a service member that went through combat. I have done the best I can to deal with it by openly talking about it. I understand that the department seeks mental stability with their officers and I know that I am. If they reject me, I plan on seeking a second opinion from an outside source.

Do you know who I can turn to? is there an advocacy for veterans who are trying to continue their service in the law enforcement community but being denied because of a service related nature? thank you for you time. I know it was a bit lengthy, please let me know if there's suggestions on what I can do. Obviously I don't want to make a big stink out of this, I want to be employed with any department who would have me.

Thank you all.
For a combat soldier, the difference between success and failure is your ability to adapt to your enemy. The people that we deal with, they don't care about the rules. All they care about is a result. My job is to stop them from completing their objective, at all costs.