Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-05-2012, 6:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I guess there is no such thing as the best style. Every style has its advantages. Probably you should consider something that fits better your physical conditions and age.
I'd like to mention sambo in addition to all styles mentioned in other comments. It is based on Judo and very practical since it was developed specifically for military and law enforcement. Combat sambo includes punching and kicking in addition to grappling techniques. As far as I know aikido requires a long learning curve before it can be used practically on physically fit opponents.
Old 11-05-2012, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Competetion Kyokushin doesn't allow punches to the head because they don't use ANY padding. Full on head kicks are fine as well as full contact to the body with hands or feet. If you think that seems wimpy then you should try it sometime. I have no idea what this hail mary kick you are talking about, but hey, I only got to Nidan, maybe it's more advanced?
Here, go to the 0:30 mark and the 1:04 mark and you'll see what I mean. I seen that technique used enough that I know it's not just a fluke, but rather, something in the normal repertoire of techniques.

I know there are no head punching because of the bare hands, but if you don't learn it or don't learn to defend against it, do you think it will just come naturally in a street fight when there are no rules?

How often are you going to do head kicks in a street fight or LE encounter?

As for wimpy... no, I am not trained to be a competition fighter and I won't get into an internet pissing match, which is not the intent of this thread.

But honestly, do you really think this is useful for LE?

Going toe to toe and punching and kicking the crap out of a suspect in a close stand up fight? Really? How will that work out in an arrest situation?
Guns! More guns! I need more guns!
Old 11-05-2012, 8:55 PM

As many have said, there is no best style for a LE application. Every art will have its advantages and disadvantages. Try to pick a discipline that you are genuinely interested in and are physically capable of practicing on a regular basis.

If you're looking for a well rounded system, I'd honestly look into some form of MMA. You'll learn basic western/kick boxing, wrestling/grappling, and Jiu-Jitsu techniques that I've found work well on the streets.

Keep in mind that no matter what system you choose, you're only going to get out what you put in.