Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am a big fan of 9mm. I own two handguns (simi-auto) in this caliber and have plenty of magazines in my bug out bag for both of them.

They are lightweight compared to some and typically the mags hold more than other calibers (most compact even come with 15 round mags that you can buy rebuild kits for and block them perminantly to comply with state law).

I assume you're wanting a revolver for the reliability. The only thing I would like to mention is that if you are actually in need of a self defense weapon when bugging out then SHTF and you potentially aren't defending against a single attacker but a larger scale situation with multiple bad guys. Being able to quick re-load would be a must and revolvers just don't have that bonus. Especially if you think that the bad guys may all be armed with much more than a hand gun.

Just something to think about. I can't suggest a revolver as all my guns are simi-auto so i hope i'm not de-railing the thread too much.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 10-29-2012, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Another vote for the SP101. I have a 3" .357 version and like it a lot. You definitely know when you are shooting .357's but it's not bad with .38's. It is a bit heavier than other snubbies but this helps with the recoil. You might check your local indoor ranges and see if they have a rental.

Scott
My wife loves her Ruger SP101 with the 3 inch barrel over my S@W model 60 with a 3 inch barrel. 357 mags have way to much recoil IMO.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

@kaligaran - I've debated this too, ever since the '89 Loma Prieta quake left me nearly stranded 45 miles from home on the wrong side of the fault line.

The pistol - today limited to 10 round magazines - is not greatly superior to the revolver. It's two major advantages are its slim profile for concealment and faster reload. The downsides are that you'll have to carry all those spare magazines somewhere on your person which may negate your concealment (depends on your preps), mags lost or not recoverable after shooting can render the gun slower to reload than a revolver and magnum revolvers are more powerful than most pistols.

With a revolver you can reload with speedloaders, speed-strips or loose ammo. Even if you lose the speed items, ammo can be loaded from a pocket, albeit much slower. Much also depends on whether you shoot pistol or revolver better too. I'm much more accurate and confident with a revolver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday
My wife loves her Ruger SP101 with the 3 inch barrel over my S@W model 60 with a 3 inch barrel. 357 mags have way to much recoil IMO.
In small guns, I'll agree. That's one reason I suggested the Ruger Security-Six as a solution. Moderate .357 loads are controllable when necessary with the extra weight helping a great deal. While the Ruger or S&W K-Frame may be relatively large it can also pack a significantly larger punch than a semi-auto pistol. Thus, my "get me home" gun was a stainless S&W Model 65 .357 4" with 3 speed loaders and a 20-round box of ammo, and a thumb-break IWB holster.

Opinion statement
I think there is a tendency for some folks to envision a sort of Mad Max environment after a disaster. I think that's going overboard. After surviving several big quakes ('71 Sylmar, '84 Morgan Hill, '87 Whittier, '89 Loma Prieta) the overall behavior I've seen says in most areas we don't see much lawless activity until between 6-18 hours later. Other priorities occupy people's minds (safety of family, friends and personal property). A good handgun of any kind is likely to force criminals to go find "softer" targets rather than stay around to deal with your flying lead.

Cat's need is for protection in getting home or to a safe place in the immediate aftermath of some incident. Any widespread incident will have lots of people with a similar mindset. Roving bands of thugs won't pop up immediately and start preying on people when there are bigger gains by looting a store or business. That said, I'm not female. Women should have a firearm sufficient to thwart personal attacks, just in case. I'd also recommend a good 3-4" knife in the offhand pocket as a back-up.
Old 10-30-2012, 7:00 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

good post, BillCA. getting home or somewhere is different than holding ground defense.

a nice thing about the revolvers you mention is that practice can be done with .38's.

the Ruger Security Six is too big for my hand.......until the OP tests shoots some of these, she won't know what works for her and what does not.

good observation re human behavior.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 10-30-2012, 8:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgunman View Post
Ruger SP101 in 357 mag, I could be mistaken but I think you can shoot 9mm in it.
You can shoot .38 special in a .357 mag. revolver.
You can only shoot 9mm if the gun is manuafactured in that caliber. If the 9mm is a revolver, you will need to use 'moon clips'. These are a plastic clover shaped piece that hold onto the rims of the cartridge. The 9mm is a semi-auto round and has a different rim than a casrtridge designed for revolvers.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCA View Post
@kaligaran - I've debated this too, ever since the '89 Loma Prieta quake left me nearly stranded 45 miles from home on the wrong side of the fault line.

The pistol - today limited to 10 round magazines - is not greatly superior to the revolver. It's two major advantages are its slim profile for concealment and faster reload. The downsides are that you'll have to carry all those spare magazines somewhere on your person which may negate your concealment (depends on your preps), mags lost or not recoverable after shooting can render the gun slower to reload than a revolver and magnum revolvers are more powerful than most pistols.
Nothing can compare to the simplicity or reliability of a quality revolver, that's for sure.

You hit the nail on the head for lost mags. That's definitly an issue. Hopefully everyone with a self defense weapon has practiced reloading effectivly and fast so that they don't have too many issues. Also if SHTF it's likely that additional magazines for common guns may be found or aquired or even shared between party members. I would think they would be more probable to find than parts for a revolver. YMMV.

Carrying the ammo or speed loading devices for any gun will be bulky, revolver or otherwise.

I don't own revolvers so I'm not too familiar with speed loading revolvers with strips or other means. It appears (I had to google revolver speed loaders) that it takes a more coordination and time to speed load a revolver compared to a simi-auto where it's 1 button press to release empty mag and then slam in the full mag.
The only reason I mention this is becuase in a high stress self-defense situation, the adrenalin dump will hinder any complex tasks if you don't have sufficient muscle memory. So I try to go with the KISS method and keep everything as simple as possible, and for me personally a simi-auto reload is about as simple as it gets.

I know it comes down to personal preference, but the one point I was making about the magazine capacity is that nothing is really 'perminant'.
If SHTF and law/government is gone, then I think most people will unblock their magazines to their full capacity. (NOTE: I am not advocating breaking any laws, only hypothetically speaking from the stand point of no more government or laws - full chaos zombie appoc style situations here).

I am not advocating the OP not go with a revolver for the BoB, just a few thoughts on my choices. I had these conversations with many friends and fellow preppers prior to my purchases, so I hope it helps the OP with some decisions.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

A 357 with 38 combo would be a good choice
Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM

I have the Ruger LCR 38 - love the gun and it is very concealable but it hurts my palm like a #$@$%@ after 10 rounds. Small gun with a 38 is going to hurt. I almost traded it this past weekend. I bascially stick to 9mm's Semi's that can hold 15 to 16 round mags. Ammo is in quick supply and I use hollow points with 147 grain. I am pretty sure that will do the job if not, I will grab my AR with a 30 round mag of 5.56 lol Just a reminder, I am from Texas, I can have this stuff.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision1214 View Post
I have the Ruger LCR 38 - love the gun and it is very concealable but it hurts my palm like a #$@$%@ after 10 rounds. Small gun with a 38 is going to hurt. I almost traded it this past weekend. I bascially stick to 9mm's Semi's that can hold 15 to 16 round mags. Ammo is in quick supply and I use hollow points with 147 grain. I am pretty sure that will do the job if not, I will grab my AR with a 30 round mag of 5.56 lol Just a reminder, I am from Texas, I can have this stuff.
Oh sure, just rub it in!
Old 11-05-2012, 1:42 PM

Sorry. Come to Texas, come to Texas lol