Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:00 AM

I carry a Smith 642 in a pocket on my other strong side. I also carry a Bianchi speed strip loaded with an extra 6 rounds of 130 grain Ranger T's and I use an Uncle Mike's nylon pocket holster. I switched back to this holster from a Desantis Pocket Nemesis because it was less bulky.
Old 10-29-2012, 6:41 AM

I carry a Glock 23 and have a vest pouch with a Glock 27
Old 10-29-2012, 8:21 AM

Sig 239 in .357sig - typically and ankle holster depending on the day.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM

Your choice for the caliber, type of weapon, and placement of the Back Up Gun (BUG) is dependant on a few things. Some of these are agency and officer specific due to regulations, restrictions, body type, and assignment.

Due to limitations on weight, size, and uniform, the BUG is not designed to be a replacement for your primary duty weapon. While in theory, a full size gun identical to your duty gun would be ideal, this may not be practical.

If the BUG is coming out, then you are involved in an extremely dangerous situation. You are involved in a situation where the use of deadly force is possible or is immediately justified AND your primary weapon is unusable (you are disarmed, out of ammunition, weapon malfunction, left it locked in the jail section, fell out of your holster, etc.) If you are deploying the BUG, then you are in serious trouble.

Weapon reliability may be a primary concern. You need your BUG and you need it to work with the least amount of problems. You may also want to go with the largest caliber while giving up ammunition capacity as you are may be in a Close Quarter situation. If you are farther away, then distance, cover, disengagement, containment, and communication with additional resources may be a better option.

Reliability, concealment, larger caliber usually means a revolver. Shrouded hammers allow for the gun to not be accidentally cocked in your pocket.

Placement depends on the body type and assignment (uniform restrictions) of the officer. I wont go into placement due to OPSEC issues on an open forum, but consider the most likely scenario that you would be deploying the BUG, consider your body position that you will be in, consider your body type and uniform restrictions, and then place the BUG there.

It is better to carry any gun anywhere in any caliber than not carry one at all, but you may find a choice which is the 51/49% solution.

www.TASKenforcement.org
Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 PM

G 27 weak side front pocket in a leather Galco pocket holster. Primary is a G 22. I went away from the ankle holster for reasons previously stated. Mostly the inaccessibility while protecting my primary in a fight.
Old 10-29-2012, 3:38 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Like Ron, I carried the Smith as my backup gun and in my pants pocket. I never carried it in an ankle holster on duty. The reason I did not was due to knowing of two deputies who were involved in a fight with a suspect for their duty gun. They were unable to reach their ankle gun during the fight and only after fighting to their utmost, where they able to overcome the suspect and cuff them.

That was the day they both stop carrying on their ankle and as a result, I do not recommend them. Just my 2 cents.
Cuey, you might want to reconsider the ankle holster upon reading this earlier post of mine. I only used an ankle holster off duty and it was used infrequently at that. Since I've retired, I've never used it. That is mostly because I'd rather have the 11 rounds of 9mm and an extra mag of 10 than 5 rounds of .38 and a speed loader with 5 more.
Old 10-29-2012, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASK, LLC View Post
Due to limitations on weight, size, and uniform, the BUG is not designed to be a replacement for your primary duty weapon. While in theory, a full size gun identical to your duty gun would be ideal, this may not be practical.
But... if you want to be super tactical and cool, you will manually unload your primary before you go hands on with a suspect. This way, when he gets a hold of your primary, you let him have the empty primary, and then pull out your backup... yeah... that's how you do it!

(This was taught to us by the super tactical nuclear reaction special team leader, Gecko45, in another forum)
Old 10-30-2012, 1:46 PM

I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm on the ankle.
Old 11-01-2012, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
If I ever wore shorts, the gun either goes in the pocket or in a tuckable deep seated holster.
For off duty, a 5 shot is not sufficient. I carry an Hk P2000sk model with an extra magazine. That gives me 20+1 bullets (or I can carry the 13rnd mags too). Since cargo shorts nowa days are so bulky, carrying a small semi auto in the shorts, works nicely.

Off duty shorts are much more roomier than any duty long type uniform pants.

****I take apart my semi auto once per week and blow out any lint.... ***

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Old 11-01-2012, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuey View Post
Sig 239 in .357sig - typically and ankle holster depending on the day.
The 239 is too big for its small ammo capacity. The similar sized Glock 32 carries 6 more rounds!! If you want a gun that only holds 7 rounds, might as well have a much smaller gun than the 239. If you want a gun with more capacity, you might as well have a gun the same size as the 239 with lots more bullets. Anyway, bottom line, the Sig 239 capacity to size ratio makes it a non-choice.
"Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen."
-- Sir Robert Peel
Old 11-01-2012, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
For off duty, a 5 shot is not sufficient. I carry an Hk P2000sk model with an extra magazine. That gives me 20+1 bullets (or I can carry the 13rnd mags too). Since cargo shorts nowa days are so bulky, carrying a small semi auto in the shorts, works nicely.

Off duty shorts are much more roomier than any duty long type uniform pants.

****I take apart my semi auto once per week and blow out any lint.... ***
I hear ya. My buddy used to just tote his Scandium J-frame around and after he got some time on the job, he went with his on duty BUG, the G27. Said he didn't feel good about the J-frame anymore after hearing enough stories.

I had a too close for comfort, off duty encounter one time with a belligerent, drunk gangbanger who was causing a scene while I was out picking up something at a liquor store. He kept mentioning he had a gun to another customer who was ignoring him and the turd kept getting louder. I had my LCP on me at the time and I moved to a tactical vantage point but the whole time, I didn't feel very confident about the little 380 with only 6 shots. Luckily, the turd just left without any further problems.

After that, I switched to a pocket 9mm. Felt a lot better. Feeling confident in your weapon is a huge part of it.
Old 11-01-2012, 8:45 PM

G27, weak side rear pocket
Old 11-02-2012, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I hear ya. My buddy used to just tote his Scandium J-frame around and after he got some time on the job, he went with his on duty BUG, the G27. Said he didn't feel good about the J-frame anymore after hearing enough stories.

I had a too close for comfort, off duty encounter one time with a belligerent, drunk gangbanger who was causing a scene while I was out picking up something at a liquor store. He kept mentioning he had a gun to another customer who was ignoring him and the turd kept getting louder. I had my LCP on me at the time and I moved to a tactical vantage point but the whole time, I didn't feel very confident about the little 380 with only 6 shots. Luckily, the turd just left without any further problems.

After that, I switched to a pocket 9mm. Felt a lot better. Feeling confident in your weapon is a huge part of it.
At least you had your 380 with 6 shots. I'm shocked nowa days to hear young officers and deputies that simply do not carry a weapon off duty. I always discourage newer guys from going anywhere whithout their "Roscoe."

On a side note......

I tell those that don't carry a gun off duty that to at least leave their police I.D. at home as well. Lest they or anyone else fail to take heed the sad lesson learned by fallen off duty Deputy, Shane York. York carried his LEO I.D on his person, yet didn't bother to pack heat. A take-over robbery ensued at a hair salon where he was waiting for his Fiancee. The robbery suspects took everybody's wallets and they discovered York's LE I.D. The suspects then murdered him "execution style" to the back of the head.

Fortunately, his Fiancee was not murdered as well. At the time she too was a deputy sheriff for either Riverside or L.A., I don't remember now. Anyway, she also did not have her off duty weapon with her when she witnessed her fiancee's murder. Fortunately, the suspects fled the store before checking her LE I.D. Otherwise, they might have killed two cops that day.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Old 11-02-2012, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
At least you had your 380 with 6 shots. I'm shocked nowa days to hear young officers and deputies that simply do not carry a weapon off duty. I always discourage newer guys from going anywhere whithout their "Roscoe."

On a side note......

I tell those that don't carry a gun off duty that to at least leave their police I.D. at home as well. Lest they or anyone else fail to take heed the sad lesson learned by fallen off duty Deputy, Shane York. York carried his LEO I.D on his person, yet didn't bother to pack heat. A take-over robbery ensued at a hair salon where he was waiting for his Fiancee. The robbery suspects took everybody's wallets and they discovered York's LE I.D. The suspects then murdered him "execution style" to the back of the head.

Fortunately, his Fiancee was not murdered as well. At the time she too was a deputy sheriff for either Riverside or L.A., I don't remember now. Anyway, she also did not have her off duty weapon with her when she witnessed her fiancee's murder. Fortunately, the suspects fled the store before checking her LE I.D. Otherwise, they might have killed two cops that day.
Unfortunately, I remember that well. His fiancee was also a LA deputy. Heard she left the job soon afterwards. Can anyone confirm that?

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14952-de...ne-daniel-york
Old 11-16-2012, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not a LEO, but I do have my CHP and carry every day. Primary is IWB 4 o'clock. Occasionally, I'll carry a BUG (some parts of Denver are really shady) which is a LC9 in a Belly Band.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training