Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-26-2012, 9:21 AM
Bugguts's Avatar
Bugguts Bugguts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,286
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Re-holstering dilemna...

Let me start by saying that I carry using a belly band. Easiest and most convenient for me. Tomorrow we are going to the range and this will be the first time back at the range after getting my CCW and I have this issue that I am not sure how to work with.

I plan on using both guns and plan on carrying(and alerting staff as I am supposed to) so after I am done shooting, I need to re-holster one of my guns. I wear the belly band kind of low across my hip area and in order to re-holster, I have to unzip and open my pants to holster and then re-zip my pants. Have I lost you yet? LOL I can't carry a loaded gun openly through the store part of the range to go to the ladies room and holster my gun, so how do I do this discreetly? It's only a concern when I go to the range for practice since if I ever need to use it in public, I would probably not be re-holstering right away and would not be concerned about it but this is my problem when it comes to practice and range time. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-26-2012, 9:26 AM
PM720 PM720 is offline
Calguns.net Shooting Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Covina
Posts: 1,537
iTrader: 122 / 100%
Default

I was going to go with the obvious answer of just unzip and holster/cover on the firing line but that may be a distraction for the other shooters! How about carry it UNloaded to the ladies room, load up and holster, zip up of course and you are all set. As long as it's concealed no biggie right? Either that or do it in the car?

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-26-2012, 9:35 AM
Bugguts's Avatar
Bugguts Bugguts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,286
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thanks, can't do it in the car, not enough room and the last time I did anything in a car, I was rewarded by two boys LMAO Sorry, that was inappropriate.

I thought about putting it unloaded in my range bag along with my other guns and stuff and then taking the range bag to the bathroom with me so that might be the best option.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 AM
johnny_22's Avatar
johnny_22 johnny_22 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Valley of Heart's Delight
Posts: 2,178
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default Practice at home with a "Blue Gun"

I bought 2 blue guns (Midway USA has them) for just this reason. I use inside the waistband holsters and want to make sure I don't angle towards my body when reholstering.

I would worry about the pants falling down. With my keys and wallet, that is the tendency when my belt is loose.

Once you are confident at home, try it for real at the range.
__________________
Please, join the NRA.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Bugguts's Avatar
Bugguts Bugguts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,286
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_22 View Post
I bought 2 blue guns (Midway USA has them) for just this reason. I use inside the waistband holsters and want to make sure I don't angle towards my body when reholstering.

I would worry about the pants falling down. With my keys and wallet, that is the tendency when my belt is loose.

Once you are confident at home, try it for real at the range.
You may have misunderstood me. I am not uncomfortable with holstering my weapon, I do it every day but in order to reholster, I do have to undo my pants because of how low I wear my belly band. It's not a question of being comfortable with holstering, just how to reholster without showing my undies after I've done range work.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 AM
BonnieB's Avatar
BonnieB BonnieB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,825
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

This is the time to bring along a (spare) really long T or sweatshirt. Face into your shooting bay or a corner. Pop the oversized shirt over your head, hands inside, do your adjustments and pop it off again. French women do this ll the time on the beach , going from dress and heels to bikini in 3 minutes flat. It is an art form. But you can do it, because I've done it. It looks funny to Americans, but it works, isn't offensive.

Only teenage boys stare when they see someone zipping up unzipped pants anyway. Most adults just look away.

Thanks for a creative carry question, something new to kick around.... And don't forget to re-load.
__________________
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR, MOSTLY THE HARD WAY
Do only safe sex. Never have sex with someone crazier than you are.
Don't marry or move in together before you're both at least 25.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
SilverTauron SilverTauron is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,705
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
Let me start by saying that I carry using a belly band. Easiest and most convenient for me. Tomorrow we are going to the range and this will be the first time back at the range after getting my CCW and I have this issue that I am not sure how to work with.

I plan on using both guns and plan on carrying(and alerting staff as I am supposed to) so after I am done shooting, I need to re-holster one of my guns. I wear the belly band kind of low across my hip area and in order to re-holster, I have to unzip and open my pants to holster and then re-zip my pants. Have I lost you yet? LOL I can't carry a loaded gun openly through the store part of the range to go to the ladies room and holster my gun, so how do I do this discreetly? It's only a concern when I go to the range for practice since if I ever need to use it in public, I would probably not be re-holstering right away and would not be concerned about it but this is my problem when it comes to practice and range time. Thoughts?
Practice re-holstering at home, and transport the piece you plan to shoot at the range in its factory box. When done, box it up and leave. I've had my CCW for two years now, and while taking a holstered gun in to shoot is legal I don't do it for two reasons.

One,even factories get ammo wrong sometimes. If you take your holstered carry gun to the range and shoot a squib load or heaven forbid a double charged round that takes your piece out of action, you're defenseless during the trip home.Swapping guns won't work if the other pistol doesn't fit in your holster.

Two, the act of drawing a gun out of a holster makes people justifiably nervous. Even if the range officer is OK with the idea, a fellow shooter who sees you draw a gun from a concealed holster in your person might get the wrong impression. While the likelihood of something happening from it isn't high, its not zero.

Thus its wise to go to the static range to practice shooting and the fundamentals thereof, and save practicing the tactical stuff like re holstering, reloading, drawing , etc for your own home. I speak from experience when I say that your mental training wont care that you learned to draw from concealment with a blue gun or the real deal.
__________________
The more prohibitions you have, the less virtuous people will be.
The more subsidies you have, the less self reliant people will be.
-Lao-Tzu, Tau Te Ching. 479 BCE

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Bugguts's Avatar
Bugguts Bugguts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,286
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
This is the time to bring along a (spare) really long T or sweatshirt. Face into your shooting bay or a corner. Pop the oversized shirt over your head, hands inside, do your adjustments and pop it off again. French women do this ll the time on the beach , going from dress and heels to bikini in 3 minutes flat. It is an art form. But you can do it, because I've done it. It looks funny to Americans, but it works, isn't offensive.

Only teenage boys stare when they see someone zipping up unzipped pants anyway. Most adults just look away.

Thanks for a creative carry question, something new to kick around.... And don't forget to re-load.
Thanks Bonnie! I take it that it is sort of like mastering the art of taking off a bra while wearing a shirt ala Flashdance? LOL I can manage that pretty easily using my oldest son's ROTC shirt. Will be perfect for this situation. I'll just keep it in my range bag. Thanks for the idea.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Bugguts's Avatar
Bugguts Bugguts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,286
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Practice re-holstering at home, and transport the piece you plan to shoot at the range in its factory box. When done, box it up and leave. I've had my CCW for two years now, and while taking a holstered gun in to shoot is legal I don't do it for two reasons.

One,even factories get ammo wrong sometimes. If you take your holstered carry gun to the range and shoot a squib load or heaven forbid a double charged round that takes your piece out of action, you're defenseless during the trip home.Swapping guns won't work if the other pistol doesn't fit in your holster.

Two, the act of drawing a gun out of a holster makes people justifiably nervous. Even if the range officer is OK with the idea, a fellow shooter who sees you draw a gun from a concealed holster in your person might get the wrong impression. While the likelihood of something happening from it isn't high, its not zero.

Thus its wise to go to the static range to practice shooting and the fundamentals thereof, and save practicing the tactical stuff like re holstering, reloading, drawing , etc for your own home. I speak from experience when I say that your mental training wont care that you learned to draw from concealment with a blue gun or the real deal.
Our range does not allow holster practice so that I do at home with snap caps but I appreciate the info. I've seen a lot of men and women at the range with their carry pieces and they come in holstered but do not draw and shoot from the holster. They just take the gun out of the holster and commence to practice. Does that make sense? LOL
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 AM
kaligaran's Avatar
kaligaran kaligaran is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,803
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Load up in the bathroom and all of your concerns are resolved I think.
__________________
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-26-2012, 1:36 PM
BonnieB's Avatar
BonnieB BonnieB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,825
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
Thanks Bonnie! I take it that it is sort of like mastering the art of taking off a bra while wearing a shirt ala Flashdance? LOL I can manage that pretty easily using my oldest son's ROTC shirt. Will be perfect for this situation. I'll just keep it in my range bag. Thanks for the idea.
Thanks, Bugs. I should have mentioned that when I did the 'quick change' on a beach, I did it on a French beach. In Cannes! (Bragging shamelessly...).

Bugs, I'm thinking of a belly band for CCW. Not that I need extra belly, goddess knows! What brand do you like? And can you use it for small of the back, instead of front? I'm kinda swaybacked and it seems like a good choice.
__________________
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR, MOSTLY THE HARD WAY
Do only safe sex. Never have sex with someone crazier than you are.
Don't marry or move in together before you're both at least 25.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-26-2012, 1:55 PM
Bugguts's Avatar
Bugguts Bugguts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,286
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thank God for me, the belly band is like a girdle that holds a gun! LMAO I am not sure what the brand is, I will have to look but I actually wear it backwards with the velcro closure in the back since I don't like front carry and cross body doesn't work so well with the girls in the way. As a matter of fact, when I was trying holsters and positions I told my husband "I can't do cross body. See? My arms are too short" as I was trying to reach across and he busted out laughing and said "It's not that your arms are too short, the girls are too big!" I laughed at that and later when a friend was at the house(a very good friend, who gets my sense of humor and is like a brother to us) and Bill was relating it and before he even got to his response about my girls, Ty blurted out "It's the b00bs!" LMAO Yeah, we are kind of a twisted bunch.. anyway, I put it on and then just rotate it until the velcro is in the back and it puts the gun right on the right hip and has two spots for extra mags and those are on the left hip.

Besides that, the velcro in the front(it's BIG swath of velcro) made the front of my jeans look like, well, let's just say it made me look like I was packin' and not a gun if ya' get what I mean. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-02-2012, 9:00 PM
locosway's Avatar
locosway locosway is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 11,343
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
Let me start by saying that I carry using a belly band. Easiest and most convenient for me. Tomorrow we are going to the range and this will be the first time back at the range after getting my CCW and I have this issue that I am not sure how to work with.

I plan on using both guns and plan on carrying(and alerting staff as I am supposed to) so after I am done shooting, I need to re-holster one of my guns. I wear the belly band kind of low across my hip area and in order to re-holster, I have to unzip and open my pants to holster and then re-zip my pants. Have I lost you yet? LOL I can't carry a loaded gun openly through the store part of the range to go to the ladies room and holster my gun, so how do I do this discreetly? It's only a concern when I go to the range for practice since if I ever need to use it in public, I would probably not be re-holstering right away and would not be concerned about it but this is my problem when it comes to practice and range time. Thoughts?
Most people are oblivious to others. The shooting range is not much different. The most observant person will be the RSO/RO but they can't watch everyone all the time. I doubt anyone would notice, and if they did, oh well.

The other answer is to drop the gun in your purse and go to the restroom, then load up and holster.
__________________
OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ Certified Instructor
Glock Certified Armorer
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Lone_Gunman Lone_Gunman is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In the wind
Posts: 8,412
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

Inexpensive second holster that covers the trigger. Load on the firing line, put gun in second holster, put holster in purse, take purse to restroom, go in a stall and do your business.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Barkfire's Avatar
Barkfire Barkfire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 120
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Only teenage boys stare when they see someone zipping up unzipped pants anyway. Most adults just look away.
Really? I guess I am just young at heart, it's been 40 years since I was a teenager and I still look
__________________
Researchers at the Cato Institute have reviewed eight years worth of news reports about shooting in self-defense and conclude, "the vast majority of gun owners are ethical and competent, and tens of thousands of crimes are prevented each year by ordinary citizens with guns."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-03-2012, 8:09 AM
Bugguts's Avatar
Bugguts Bugguts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,286
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I don't carry a purse, just a wallet and the range bag. I guess I'll just be taking my range bag in to the bathroom. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-07-2012, 8:03 AM
beb's Avatar
beb beb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 438
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
Thanks, can't do it in the car, not enough room and the last time I did anything in a car, I was rewarded by two boys LMAO Sorry, that was inappropriate.

LMAO! I love you, you are always freaking hilarious! :P
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:52 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.