Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-08-2012, 6:45 PM

Question Question Before Purchasing 1st Pistol

I have always wanted to have a pistol. I am 60 but figure it's never too late. I went to the range with my son who carries a GLOCK 19. This was my first time ever to shoot a pistol. We rented a GLOCK 26 for me to try. I shot both the 19 and the 26. I liked the 26 best. He is an excellent shot and was pleasantly surprised and very pleased with Mom's first time at the range.

2nd time at range I rented the 26 again and only shot the 26 this time. After shooting maybe 20 rounds, he got a target that he said was for used testing with pink body shape on it with oblong rings around the inside of the body. He told me to shoot for the center but to make sure that nothing went outside of the 7 ring. I shot from a range of 3, 7, & 15 meters like he said I would have to do for the test. He said I would need to score 225 out of 300 to pass. He pulled the target back in, counted the shots and said that I scored 280. That sounds great but this was not timed and the test will be.

I am considering purchasing a GLOCK 26 Gen 4. Before I do, I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. Each time after leaving the range, I noticed that I had a bruise on the top of my thumb knuckle (nearest the hand). I know that I need to strengthen my fingers and hands because I sometimes have trouble loading the magazine, especially the last two rounds. On one hand I figure that if I am shooting the way I have in just 2 times at the range, the GLOCK 26 must be OK for me but what is causing the bruising? Is it that it is too large for me (4'11" w/small hands) or is it that I just need to strengthen my hands. I don't want to put that kind of money into something that is not right for me.
Old 09-08-2012, 7:17 PM

Hard to say. Strong hand? Weak?

I've had several female shooters cut themselves with fingernails from recoil holding both revolvers and semi-automatics.

Personally, I myself usually blistered my strong hand thumb after firing several hundred rounds with my kimber .45, right at the knuckle closest to the web of the hand. I just keep shooting.

If shooting is comfortable, enjoyable and accurate, maybe getting a little redness on the hand is normal. Just like working in the yard or doing anything repetitive we enjoy.

No easy answer here, not by remote email anyway.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboos51 View Post
Each time after leaving the range, I noticed that I had a bruise on the top of my thumb knuckle (nearest the hand).
I had the same problem, it was because the grip was too big for my hand and I was having to wrap my hand around a little more and the backstrap wasn't hitting in the pad between thumb and finger. It also meant that it wasn't a straight shot down the bone in my arm, I had to tweak my wrist to shoot. I still did very well with that gun.

Is the gun that you've been renting a Gen 4? The Gen 4s have an adjustable backstrap, and I held one recently in a gunshop and the problem was resolved with that feature.
Old 09-14-2012, 2:24 AM

I have been renting a Gen 3 and one time a Gen 4. The time I shot the Gen 4 I did not get a bruise. How did you adjust your wrist?
Old 09-14-2012, 4:20 AM

Since it sounds like the range you are shooting at rents, I would recommend trying a couple other, similar pistols and see if you encounter the same issue. Both the Springfield Armory XD and the Smith & Wesson M&P series are on par with the Glock, and in (roughly) the same price range.

Not at all knocking Glocks, a great choice. But they do have their own grip angle, and the subtle difference between the Glock and the other two may make a difference for you.

Also, as mentioned, the Gen 4 Glocks have interchangeable back straps. Odds are the one at the range for rent is fitted with the medium size.
Old 09-14-2012, 7:35 AM

Probably need more specifics but it sounds like you could benefit from changing how you grip the gun using thumbs forward.
Old 09-14-2012, 7:41 AM

I love Glocks, really I do, but I'm wondering if you've tired any other handguns besides Glocks?

Since they're made from plastic (light weight) they're not the easiest hand gun to shoot. In fact a heavier steel or alloy gun, would be easier to shoot as the added weight tames the gun and makes it easier to hold when the gun bucks.

Might be worth checking out. Anything in 9mm would be a great start. I'd even suggest a full size 22LR handgun.

All the best,

Triple

Last edited by TripleThreat; 09-14-2012 at 1:00 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 7:53 AM
Calguns Addict

As this will be your first pistol, what is its purpose?

Small guns are much more difficult to shoot, but they are easier to conceal.

Is this going to be a gun for range fun, home defense or to be carried concealed???

If concealed, the glock 26 is a fine gun

If for the home or the range, you might want to also try the Glock 17

The longer slide is more forgiving for cycling and recoil

If the bruise is from the snap of recoil where your thumb meets the frame, a larger gun will have a different recoil impulse
Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboos51 View Post
I have been renting a Gen 3 and one time a Gen 4. The time I shot the Gen 4 I did not get a bruise. How did you adjust your wrist?
I end up cocking my wrist and by the end of the day it would end up pretty sore.

You might want to ask if they can adjust the Gen 4 down a size to see if fits better.

One thing you might want to check out if you're not going to CCW is a 9mm in a 1911 configuration. The 1911 was probably one of the most comfortable that I shot. I did end up going with a Bulgarian Makarov because it's like it was made for my hand, it does however have a pretty good kick.
Old 09-18-2012, 6:51 PM

Are Gen 4 Glocks on the CA approved firearm Roster? I read the roster and couldn't tell.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-18-2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Are Gen 4 Glocks on the CA approved firearm Roster? I read the roster and couldn't tell.
Gen 4 Glocks are LE only. Not on the list.

Triple
Old 09-18-2012, 7:39 PM

Can pay extra and have your FFL so a single shot exemption. It makes the Gen 4 legal for you to buy in CA.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 AM

If you can shoot a couple of other guns before you buy I would. I carry a .45 myself.

A tip if you are planning to take your NV CCW - use a .22 semi-auto. The ammo is cheaper and you won't have any trouble qualifying. You can rent them at the gun store. Same with revolvers.

My main carry gun is a .45 but I also sometimes carry a Ruger LC9. This is a very concealable and easy to shoot single stack 9mm. I can carry it clipped inside a pair of gym shorts without the weight pulling them down. If I need really concealed I carry an LCP .380. But I work in a dangerous field (landlady) and each time I have an altercation I seem to get a bigger gun so I don't carry the LCP much anymore. I found myself considering a Desert Eagle 50 caliber the other day. LOL
Old 10-15-2012, 8:40 PM
CGSSA Associate

I agree try shooting other guns around the same size and see what you like best. Its like when you buy a car test drive a bunch and narrow it down. If you still like the glock 26 the best then its a match made in heaven.

I purchased the first gun I fell in love with only to find after 4 years that it is my least favorite due to poor fit and one heck of a recoil.

The bruise could be as simple as just shifting your hands a few milometers. Grip that works the best for you takes time to develop and form. Even then it often will need to be adapted slightly when using different weapons. Best of luck and congrats!
Old 10-15-2012, 9:34 PM

My bf has a Glock 35 and I can't stand the rectangular bulky grip on it (small hands). I currently have a CZ 75b 9mm, and the M&P's are nice as well. I seem to be pretty particular to the all steel guns (less perceived recoil for me and they're more balanced in my hand). Definitely concur with the other suggestions to try as many as you can to decide on what feels best.
Old 10-20-2012, 1:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Does the mag release button hit your knuckle?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM

It may seem counter intuitive, but try heavier guns. As TripleThreat stated earlier, it better absorbs the recoil forces than a plastic gun. I've had trouble with Glocks refusing to cycle until I held them in a vise-like grip, which then hurt my hand when it bucked.

Since you like 9mm, I suggest the mini 1911.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

and 357MagGirl understand why i like metal guns!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt