Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-04-2012, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Default First LE Job. Any words of wisdom?

Hey everyone. I received the official call from Sutter County Probation this morning welcoming me on board and issuing me my start date. I'm extremely excited and more than a little bit nervous. I graduated from college last spring and this will be my first Law Enforcement job. I'm not 100% sure what to expect and would be eternally grateful if those of you who have been in my shoes could share any bit of advice that might help the transition go more smoothly. I haven't been given my assignment yet as to whether I will be working with Juveniles or Adults but no matter what I'm sure I'm in for a heck of change from working part time for a supermarket. haha Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2012, 9:30 PM

Congrats bud, welcome to the LE family. i come from a family of LEO's. one of my family members (Cant say which one) works for Probation here in stanislaus county. if your working with juvies its gunna be a little tough to hold back with their smart comments and the things they can do vs the adults. lol its a whole different ball game with kids rather than adults. Good luck
Old 10-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Always do the right thing. You will make mistakes from time to time. We all do/did. Don't make stuff up to cover yourself. Always tell the truth, own up to your actions, and take responsibility for your mistakes. You will keep your credibility with your peers, the public, and your supervisors, and become a better officer.

Your credibility is crucial to a successful career. No one can destroy it but you.

Don't sacrifice your family for your career. They will be around after you retire , the job won't.

If you are married, don't fall into the temptation of playing around with the "donut dollies" as we used to call them. Some women are attracted to people in uniform. They aren't worth it.

NEVER, NEVER, EVER get involved in a personal relationship with suspects, prisoners, their friends, families, etc. This is how groups like the Mexican Mafia compromises LE personnel into doing their bidding. Once you cross that line, THEY OWN YOU. There is no such thing as an innocent favor.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Always do the right thing. You will make mistakes from time to time. We all do/did. Don't make stuff up to cover yourself. Always tell the truth, own up to your actions, and take responsibility for your mistakes. You will keep your credibility with your peers, the public, and your supervisors, and become a better officer.

Your credibility is crucial to a successful career. No one can destroy it but you.

Don't sacrifice your family for your career. They will be around after you retire , the job won't.

If you are married, don't fall into the temptation of playing around with the "donut dollies" as we used to call them. Some women are attracted to people in uniform. They aren't worth it.

NEVER, NEVER, EVER get involved in a personal relationship with suspects, prisoners, their friends, families, etc. This is how groups like the Mexican Mafia compromises LE personnel into doing their bidding. Once you cross that line, THEY OWN YOU. There is no such thing as an innocent favor.
Very well said. I can't say it better myself. Integrity is one of the most important aspects of a law enforcement officer. Everyone makes mistakes... you just have to learn and grow from it.

"All cops have to make judgment calls they hope they won't regret. No cop ever bats a thousand." - Southland
Old 10-05-2012, 7:14 AM

Keep your head on a swivel, be polite, be professional, and be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

-Stick
Old 10-05-2012, 7:50 AM

Be true to your honor, always tell the truth and cultivate a sense of humor.

Walnut media for bright brass
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214
Old 10-05-2012, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Keep your head on a swivel, be polite, be professional, and be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

-Stick
A college buddy of mine who's an LEO in Arizona now said nearly exactly the same thing.

Thanks for the advice folks. I was told I'll get my assignment my first day. I know working with kids would be hard, but for a guy as young as I am, 24, working with adults could be equally as challenging. I was thinking I will have to make sure to make my clients understand that even though I'm young, they have to listen to what I say or face the consequences.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM

Always be polite and professional even if someone is verbally giving you a hard time. There will be rare times when you have to be an A-hole depending on what kind of person you are dealing with and you need to gain compliance.

Always assume you are being video taped. If you see someone video taping you, don't get defensive or angry. It just makes you look bad.

Law enforcement officers quite often find themselves victims of false complaints and frivolous lawsuits. It will probably happen less working probation, but it can still happen. If you make a mistake or someone beefs you, NEVER lie. Lying during an investigation will assure you lose your job. If you tell the truth, you might take a few lumps but you will still have a job and your career continues.

Quite often, attorneys subpoena your work records regarding citizen complaints and disciplinary actions taken against you. Their intent is to ruin your credibility in court. Once you lose your credibility, it is almost impossible to be taken seriously in court.

Most importantly, be safe. Officer safety is so important! Always stay aware of your surroundings, don't turn your back to the bad guy, be ready for anything, and don't panic. Have a plan for both on duty or off duty incidents. As far as off duty incidents go, make sure you include your family in your plans and discuss it with them.

Try to avoid OFF duty incidents unless you are defending yourself or your family. The only time I would get involved in something OFF duty is if it is a threat to me or my family, a police officer needs help, or someone is getting raped or murdered. Other than that, just be a good witness and call 911. Once people know you are a cop, they would not hesitate to sue and/or try to get you fired. Be smart.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013

Last edited by Armed24-7; 10-05-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Congratulations!
In my dept. they will usually start you off with a juvenile caseload. Juveniles are a different kind of beast. Know the rules of your department when it comes juveniles. Everything everyone has said is great advice. Also, try to keep the fire you have in you right now going for a long while.
Old 10-06-2012, 4:21 AM

Take what's being said to you with a grain of salt. Trust, but verify.
Old 10-06-2012, 5:41 AM

Really good advice here. Congrats on the new career!
Old 10-06-2012, 7:19 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianyveedub View Post
Take what's being said to you with a grain of salt. Trust, but verify.
I don't know why you would say the bolded as the advice given is sound. I do not know anyone who posted except Ron-Solo since we worked together both in the jail and at two stations. I agree with everything he said and couldn't have said it better.

OP, don't take anything said here with a grain of salt as it is all good advice. Trust, but verify is also good advice.
Old 10-07-2012, 2:22 AM

Don't compromise your integrity for anything. One bad cop spoils it for the bunch.

And don't take it personally.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 AM

be firm, fair and consistent. with that you will earn your bones the right way. I have a good friend of mine once tell me I could have rode in his patrol car any day if we had been on the department at the same time. My response to him was what made him think i would ever want to ride with an old guy with 28 years in. We still laugh today. My point is after 28 years he still maintained his firm, fair and consistent behavior.

take care of your family first before the job, family comes first. (always). Find the balance, it will be hard at first. take care of your health and integrity, the rest will fall into place. LEO family yes, but do not eat, sleep and drink it 24/7. (balance)
Old 10-08-2012, 6:44 PM

Eyes and ears open, mouth shut.
Old 10-08-2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4FTTY View Post
Eyes and ears open, mouth shut.
Exactly! And listen to your TO
Old 10-08-2012, 7:17 PM

Just remember the 3 B's that get you in trouble...Booze, Broads/Boys and Bills. Avoid those 3 and you my friend will have a long career. Good Luck. Be Safe.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Congrats, Be humble and the reputation you set in your first six months will follow you for years. Be safe

Suspects lie even when they are telling you the truth.
Old 10-11-2012, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats buddy. You will do just fine. I can't wait till I become a LEO.
Old 10-12-2012, 9:05 PM

What Ron Solo said.
"Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen."
-- Sir Robert Peel
Old 10-13-2012, 3:25 PM

First off, I'm not LEO, but the things that Ron Solo said is great advice
for not just law enforcement, but just about any career or job. The last
paragraph could be changed to coworkers. Damn good advice especially
the parts about credibility. That goes a long way to a successful career
in whatever field you are in.

Reloaderdave
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM

To piggyback and reiterate:

stay humble/respectful
work hard/do the right things
pull your weight/handle your business
take care of your partners/don't neglect your family
stay a sponge/always be looking to improve yourself
have and exercise 2-3 different outlets for stress/go home safe
Old 10-14-2012, 3:55 PM

Due to AB109 you will likely be dealing with a lot of well seasoned felons, that would normally be handled by a parole agent that has experience dealing with violent inmates. Do not take them lightly.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Treat everyone with respect first, adjust accordingly after that. Remember it's just a a job, return home with the same amount of holes in your body that you started your shift with, act professional and last, go home and kiss your family as they sleep. Be thankful for making it through the day, make the next day just as safe.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM

Congrats and all the advise here is very good, the only other thing I can add is live within your means and don't get caught up needing o/t to make it.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 PM

^^THIS
Old 10-19-2012, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P40FAN View Post
Due to AB109 you will likely be dealing with a lot of well seasoned felons, that would normally be handled by a parole agent that has experience dealing with violent inmates. Do not take them lightly.
Agreed. Be careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone via tapatalk

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry your body." - Jack Bauer

Colt / Glock / Kimber / Kriss / LWRC / Remington / Ruger / Smith & Wesson / Springfield