Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-28-2012, 7:54 AM

Default OC sheriff and handgun choice

Just wondering if anyone knows what you use in the academy with the OC Sheriff and what your choices are once on duty.
Old 09-28-2012, 4:13 PM

Have you been accepted to an academy?
Old 09-28-2012, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspen003 View Post
Have you been accepted to an academy?
I'm in backgrounds still, done psych, and am almost done with medical. It's looking promising - trying to gather info.

Last edited by Catalyst81; 09-28-2012 at 4:56 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 1:45 PM

Standard issue by OCSD in 1978 was S&W Model 15 .38 cal. We were told that it just did not get any better than that. In fact, they even issued us "Speedy Loaders". Our D.I.'s told us that we should be thankful that we did not have to use "Dump Pouches". We were also told that with a revolver we would never have to worry about a " jam ". Because we all knew that the semi-autos always had a tendency to jam!!
Hey don't get mad at me! I'm just a messenger! That was what we were told back in the day. Funny though, made it through 30+ yrs and retired carrying one of those darn semi automatics! ha
Old 10-10-2012, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Maybe it's me and maybe it's because I'm getting older, but does it really matter? Will you refuse a job offer if they don't issue or allow the "right gun"?

My advice.... worry about the important stuff, learn well with what they issue you, and stay safe.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 10-10-2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
Maybe it's me and maybe it's because I'm getting older, but does it really matter? Will you refuse a job offer if they don't issue or allow the "right gun"?

My advice.... worry about the important stuff, learn well with what they issue you, and stay safe.
Not to be rude but obviously it does matter to me or I wouldn't have asked the question. I'll chalk your response up to you getting older. Not worrying about it and there is no "right" gun - more curious and excited. I have since been able to find the answer.
Old 10-10-2012, 4:47 PM

Well, darn it, what is the answer!
Old 10-10-2012, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst81 View Post
Not to be rude but obviously it does matter to me or I wouldn't have asked the question. I'll chalk your response up to you getting older. Not worrying about it and there is no "right" gun - more curious and excited. I have since been able to find the answer.
No rudeness taken..... there've been a number of such questions in the recent past and I wonder if people have their priorities out of synch.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 10-10-2012 at 4:57 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 4:56 PM

Prior to Sheriff Hutchins, it was Glock 22. Don't know if she changed anything when she came in.

Old 10-10-2012, 6:40 PM

Still is G22. I'm not sure what they use on patrol but I know the jail deputies carried a Glock 22.
Old 10-11-2012, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchur6 View Post
Still is G22. I'm not sure what they use on patrol but I know the jail deputies carried a Glock 22.
That would be it - G22. On patrol there is a little more flexibility to carry a different model if you'd like to according to the deputy I went on the ride a long with.
Old 10-11-2012, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
Prior to Sheriff Hutchins, it was Glock 22. Don't know if she changed anything when she came in.

Back when I was in OC Sheriff's Academy (when Brad Gates was Sheriff) the deputy recruits were issued the S&W 5904. One of our Tac Officers showed us his OIS dashcam video and he used a Sig P226.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 AM

Exactly Shumba^ Glock 22 is the standard issue, and you cannot have anything else in the academy. Once you get sworn in, and past the academy, you can carry whatever approved gun in 9mm, .40, or .45 that is approved/inspected by the Armory Staff. Also, the minimum capacity must be at least 13 rounds (Unless special assignment). This allows the Glock 21 to sneak in, and any other 13+ round .45's or below.
Old 10-12-2012, 4:55 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

When I was going through the application process and studying penal codes, radio codes, case law, doing rides, working out, etc....

The LAST thing I was concerned about was what kind of pistol I would be issued. The range cadre will teach you to master your pistol, regardless of what is issued. There are scores of other things you should be focused on as an applicant.