Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 AM

Question Rabbit Hunting...

I am new to hunting. I am VERY interested in hunting rabbits and/or coyotes. I have a .22 rifle. I live in Fontana. I have heard and read that there are some spots in and around the cajon pass and I am wondering if anyone is willing to let me tag along with them so that I can learn where and how to hunt. Or, if anyone knows of some good spots to hunt and you are willing to tell me where, that would be GREAT too! Thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2012, 1:10 AM

Do you have a hunting license?
Old 10-10-2012, 2:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check the san bernadino county hunting maps. No rifles in certain areas.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I do have a hunting license.
I have a hunting map from Bass Pro shop that says where the hunting areas are, but I don't recall if it says which guns are/aren't allowed in certain areas. I'll have to check.
What about parking passes, do I need to get one of them? If so, are they strict if I didn't have one on the car while out hunting?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_right44 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Yes I do have a hunting license.
I have a hunting map from Bass Pro shop that says where the hunting areas are, but I don't recall if it says which guns are/aren't allowed in certain areas. I'll have to check.
What about parking passes, do I need to get one of them? If so, are they strict if I didn't have one on the car while out hunting?
Yes, you need to check the map published by the San Bernardino Commission on fish and game. It depicts where exactly you can shoot/hunt and with what (ie. shotgun only, rifle, etc...) Do your homework, dont rely on someone's opinion here on the internet. You're responsible for your own actions regarding where you can LEGALLY hunt and with what firearm.

"Adventure pass." Yes, you need it in the San Bernardino Nat'l forest up around Cajon Pass. Yes, you will get a ticket if you're vehicle is caught parked within the forest boundaries and you're out hunting and you don't have that "pass" displayed on your vehicle. The "Land Nazis" have ensured that us "subjects" pay a "parking tax" while enjoying our "public lands."

Final note..... The Cajon pass area is really not a good spot for hunting rabbits and such. I've been hiking there for years and always bring a little .410 or 28ga shotgun during the seasons. I rarely get any good cotton tail hunting throughout that area. Kern County is way better. Just my opinion.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-TRUMP ya dummy!
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM

It's kind of far but you can go to the Mojave Desert off Kelbaker Road around sunrise or sunset. You don't need a parking pass, but you might need a truck or SUV to drive off the main road and into the dirt roads. You can shoot both rifle and shotgun, but you cannot plink there. You'll see a lot of jacks out there. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2012, 1:20 PM

Rabbit hunting is very easy, and a good excercise (the way I hunt). Just walk around until you scare a rabbit, it will sprint away from you. Even if you don't see it, it will run away. With a shotgun, you can shoot it, but if you are rifle hunting just wait until it stops. They normally stop about 30 yards away from you and just stare at you incase you walk towards it then it runs again. Lucky for people hunting rifles, they stand still.

I love rabbit hunting because I can just walk around, unlike hunting almost everything else where I just lay in a bush.

In my experience, I have had sucess at all times of the day. Yaa the middle of the day gets a bit slow, but you can still have sucess. I live down in San Diego, if you wanna come with me some time just message me. Driving about 30 minutes to San Diego County's deserts has some of the best rabbit hunting around. Especially in late spring, early summer.
Old 10-10-2012, 4:41 PM

Great, thanks for the replies. I will have to get an adventure pass then. Sounds like I will have to do a little driving for some rabbits. Cajon Pass would have been nice, even high desert (close to me). San Diego is a good 1 1/2 hour drive for me. I'm not saying that I wont take you up on the offer though! I will let you know when I am in the mood for some driving. When I was a kid, my dad would take me to Mojave to ride around in my go kart and mini bikes, but I don't remember how to get there. I'll look it up. Are there always a lot of rabbits up there?
Do you guys eat the rabbit?... or are they target practice for you?
If anyone else knows of some closer spots for me, please let me know!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 AM

I hunt rabbits in San Diego county as well. Usually ride my dual sport out with a 22 or 12 g and a very large metal framed hiking pack. Anyone want to meet up or carpool in my truck is welcome. Let me know next time ya head out huntandski...
Old 12-22-2012, 8:45 AM

I also live in San Diego, I would like to know more about where to start off with the rabbit hunting part (In the proccess of getting a hunting license but not sure what to do afterwards)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Just_right- I've got a few pieces of advice for you. First off, you have some FANTASTIC rabbit hunting within 45 minutes of your doorstep, but YOU need to get out your map and start scouting for yourself. As hunters, we are very reluctant to just give out our good hunting spots on an online forum. Just think of scouting as hiking... with a gun!

Almost all of the accessible rabbit areas near you are "shotgun only" hunting ares, so I HIGHLY recommend you spend $150 and invest in a nice little 20 or 12 gauge single-shot shotgun. If you get caught hunting with a .22 in a shotgun only area in San Bernardino county, it's a big-azz fine! Also, it's a hell-of-a-lot easier to take down a rabbit with a shotgun as opposed to a .22. Shotguns also open you up to rabbit-on-the run shots, rather than having to wait for them to stop like you do with a .22. Both H&R (if you like a wood stock gun) and Rossi (if you want to go the synthetic stock route) make very nice little durable and light single-shot shotguns for the type of hike/hunt method of taking rabbits that huntandski mentioned above. Keep an eye on the weekly Big 5 adds and you'll see both of these guns go on sale for $99-$119. I own a Rossi in .20 gauge, and an H&R in .12 and .410. All three are fantastic rabbit guns. As a new hunter, I'd avoid the .410 because the ammo generally cost more the double than that of a 12 or 20 gauge.

Good luck, and good huntin'!

www.jesseshunting.com Great stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
If he was any more of a worthless tool he'd be available at Harbor Freight.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 PM

Thank you for your tips, I do have an older russian O/U so that solves the shotgun problem Could you point me of the direction of maps that would outline the "go" or "nogo" areas?

Thank you!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorRichRichard View Post
Just_right- I've got a few pieces of advice for you. First off, you have some FANTASTIC rabbit hunting within 45 minutes of your doorstep, but YOU need to get out your map and start scouting for yourself. As hunters, we are very reluctant to just give out our good hunting spots on an online forum. Just think of scouting as hiking... with a gun!

Almost all of the accessible rabbit areas near you are "shotgun only" hunting ares, so I HIGHLY recommend you spend $150 and invest in a nice little 20 or 12 gauge single-shot shotgun. If you get caught hunting with a .22 in a shotgun only area in San Bernardino county, it's a big-azz fine! Also, it's a hell-of-a-lot easier to take down a rabbit with a shotgun as opposed to a .22. Shotguns also open you up to rabbit-on-the run shots, rather than having to wait for them to stop like you do with a .22. Both H&R (if you like a wood stock gun) and Rossi (if you want to go the synthetic stock route) make very nice little durable and light single-shot shotguns for the type of hike/hunt method of taking rabbits that huntandski mentioned above. Keep an eye on the weekly Big 5 adds and you'll see both of these guns go on sale for $99-$119. I own a Rossi in .20 gauge, and an H&R in .12 and .410. All three are fantastic rabbit guns. As a new hunter, I'd avoid the .410 because the ammo generally cost more the double than that of a 12 or 20 gauge.

Good luck, and good huntin'!
Love my rossi single shot. It is .410 however!
Old 12-26-2012, 7:28 AM

Is it a PITA to remove the shot from a rabbit? Do you use steel shot since lead is toxic?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoder View Post
Thank you for your tips, I do have an older russian O/U so that solves the shotgun problem Could you point me of the direction of maps that would outline the "go" or "nogo" areas?

Thank you!
Click on the link in my signature line for the SBCo shooting map.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by I500X View Post
Is it a PITA to remove the shot from a rabbit? Do you use steel shot since lead is toxic?
If you accidentally injest some lead shot you will be fine. If eating lead shot was going to hurt you my father would have died years ago. I prefer lead since if you bite down on a lead bb your teeth won't crack vs. steel shot can destroy a tooth.

224 rounds of high quality Winchester .223 FS/FT - $180

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1226164
Old 01-01-2013, 9:26 PM

Where I hunt I have to use a shotgun. My favorite rabbit gun is a single shot 20 guage and it's been my rabbit gun for years. I use 8 shot instead of 6 most of the time and it works great. Rabbit's are pretty fragile and just the shock of getting hit by the pellets, regardless of whether they get in very deep will kill them almost immediately most in most cases. Any lead pellets in the meat can be easily seen after skinning and removed. If you happen to get one in a bite of something, the soft lead is easier on the teeth than steel, as someone pointed out earlier.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Banned

the CA desert has some awsome rabbit hunting.
Old 01-02-2013, 3:18 PM

Great information in this thread. Time to get my hunting license.