Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-17-2008, 3:36 PM

Default FN SLP Problems

Anyone out there own a FN SLP? Mine's having cycling problems and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 3:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What ammo are you using?
Old 01-17-2008, 4:36 PM

Low recoil 00Buck. AND I'm using the "low recoil buffer." The action is VERY tight, and I've noticed that the more rounds I put through it the better is, but better isn't good, especially at that price.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 PM

Does it have a problem with non low recoil rounds? My experience is anything labeled low recoil is generally a problem for autos.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:01 PM

The "the key is get the shotgun well broken in with something like Estate Heavy Game Load 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz. #6 (perhaps 250 shells) and then test with the defense ammo you would like to use - perhaps 100-200 shells. When your tests confirm reliable functioning, you're good to go with it! And of course, keep the shotgun clean and well maintained and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever"

I had the same cycling issue you had, you need a heavier dram, buy a few diiferent types of ammo and break it in real good or read this thread....
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-160824.html
Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the info. Do you normally have to break in semi auto shotguns to this degree?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDR View Post
Anyone out there own a FN SLP? Mine's having cycling problems and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

Thanks.
The problem is that you need to use full powered loads. Many semi-autos have problems with low recoil rounds. My friend who is a police officer told me that they're instructed to use only full power loads in their semis. I use low recoil rounds in my pumps.
Old 01-18-2008, 4:22 PM

Thanks for you're reply two my quarry. I'm going too print out this post so their is no way I'd loose it!
Old 01-18-2008, 4:38 PM

Sorry about that.
Hey, while I have you guys here have you found any tactical light packages that fit the SLP?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 PM

Interesting bit of information from another forum about the FN SLP that I thought should be included in this thread for future searchers.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...48&postcount=8

Quote:
Hello, my FN SLP has been flawless with all loads, and its not been babied by any means.

That said, mine came with the heavy load gas cylinder installed by default, and after reading the manual, I failed to see why: FN states the heavy cylinder is for loads more than 1.5 ounces. Most 2.75" slugs are only one oz., and most 2.75" 00 buckshot loads are something along lines of 1.3 oz in total shot weight.

I swapped it out before my last shotgun class for the light cylinder, and it was flawless then and has remained so since cycling everything from target birdshot to 1 oz slugs to hot 2.75" 00 buckshot (I don't use 3" for....anything so no testing there, but it's certainly capable of firing them if one is crazy enough to want to in such a firearm).

I can't help but wonder how many folks have the heavy cylinder in theirs.
Old 02-22-2008, 7:55 AM

When I first got my SLP I put the light load gas fitting in but had the same trouble as you with tactical buck. After doing a few things it now runs great with anything I feed it.

First, there is a small fiting that is at the end of the action spring that rides in the receiver extension. As the gun cycles it moves back and forth. I took this out to clean it and noticed it had a rough surface with irregular wear. I used Flitz and a Dremmel buffer to polish it until it shines. I think this was the most important thing I did.

I also cleaned everything including the inside of the long tube with CLP. I put some grease on the inside of the receiver where the bolt carrier rides.

Finally, I left the gun with the bolt locked back for a few weeks to compress the spring.

I'm not sure if any of these steps were the key to success, but it now shoots everything as fast as I can press the trigger.
Old 03-17-2008, 1:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
I purchased a Winchester X2 practical and I have been having the same problem. I usually shoot Winchester shells and I have not found any that it will cycle, with either cylinder. I have fired at least 100 rounds through it so far, everything from the cheap 100 round box stuff to high speed shells, so I really doubt if it will shoot any Winchester shells. Very Ironic! However, since I purchased this shotgun for home defense, I decided I should try my defense rounds, Federal 000 buck. I fired 20 rounds and it cycled every time. I think it is just finicky when it comes to ammo. I fired 8 rounds of 000 in less than 3 seconds and I didnít feel it, and I have no soreness today either. Once I get the whole ammo thing sorted out, I think it will be a great shotgun.
Old 03-17-2008, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Sorry about that.
Hey, while I have you guys here have you found any tactical light packages that fit the SLP?
FN Tri-Rail Mount, won't be out until mid year 2008.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...16&mid=FNM0143
Old 03-21-2008, 9:34 AM

I have the light load gas piston in and broke it in with 200 rounds of Estate Extra Heavy Upland Game as per the suggestion in The High Road member DHart's FN SLP review thread. I also ran a half dozen Remington express buck 9 pellet. All functioned flawlessly and rapid fire was fun!

Next range trip I plan on running some Federal low recoil LE132 00 9 pellet buck through her.

I had some questions: Does the magazine tube need to be lubed? How about the gas piston itself - the ring at the end that rotates, does that need a drop of lube?

eta: found my lube question answers: Gold Fusion Maintenance Question

Last edited by f.2; 03-24-2008 at 3:27 AM..
Old 03-23-2008, 10:10 AM

Range trip #2. 100 rounds Federal low recoil tactical buckshot w/FLITECONTROL wad; 1st - 50 LE132 00 9 pellet (orange and gold box), 2nd - 50 LE133 00 8 pellet (silver box). Single shot, double shots, rapid fire 6+1 dumps as fast as I could pull the trigger. FNH SLP was in a clean / lubed state. [Cold] bore pattern at 15 yd with IC choke: 5.5" group.

Also shot 9 rounds Remington express 00 buck 9 pellet.

I plan to shoot a couple hundred more low recoil Federal tactical buck before I load it for hd.

Looks like ammoman is out of the full power LE127 00 tac buck w/FLITECONTROL wad. I'd like to try some of that through the SLP as full power buck is very manageable.

edit: [sp]

Last edited by f.2; 03-23-2008 at 10:37 AM..
Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 AM

I have put 300 rounds through my Winchester X2(FNH SLP Mark1) now and it will cycle anything I load in the magazine now. I have found the Estate heavy game loads the best for breaking it in. I also threw the light gas cylinder back in the box where it will stay. I really donít see any use for it unless you are shooting super light skeet loads. The heavy gas cylinder seems to run smoother and soaks up more recoil with every type of ammo I have run through it and I consistently shoot 9 rounds under 2 seconds. I have finally accepted this shotgun as my primary defense shotgun and think it is the best one I own.
Old 08-11-2008, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Thanks.
I have the Winchester Super X2 MKI (winchester version of your gun).

When I first got the gun, it would not cycle the WalMart field loads (pretty light loaded bird shot). So, I bought heavy target loads and those were 100%. However, after shooting a few hundred rounds through it, it cycles the standard field load stuff. However, it still will not cycle "low recoil buck" or "low recoil slugs." You don't need heavy loaded magnum stuff to make it work, but the "low recoil" designated stuff is just too light.

P.S. I LOVE this gun. For fun when plinking, I do mag dumps (bump-firing more or less) of this thing and it will go as fast as you can pull the trigger....REAL fast....like machine gun fast.

Last edited by ohsmily; 08-11-2008 at 1:49 PM..
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Just get a Benellit M4. It can go 12,000+ rounds without cleaning and it cycles everything you put through it every time.

Old 08-14-2008, 9:35 PM
Banned

I've found that SLP's tend to get a bit tempermental with light loads. Some of the bulk 1 oz. loads won't cycle them reliably when they are new. Run a case or two of HGL's thru it and everything should be smoothed out by then.
Old 05-03-2009, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodanz View Post
FN Tri-Rail Mount, won't be out until mid year 2008.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...16&mid=FNM0143
Is this available yet?