Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2012, 7:45 PM
Default Newbie need scope buying advice

Hello all,

I been shoot pistol for a few years, and going in to the precision rifle shooting. The range in my area are about 200-300 yards, but as I get good, there are 1000 yard range within 2 hrs driving distant. I'm getting a Remington 700 Police for a really good price. Now It's the time to choose a optics, base, rings, and other equipment. A buddy of mine is police office and he can get some good deal on Leapold scope. I did some research and asked around and kind of settle on Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x50mm (was look at 3.5-10x40mm but was told to get a 50mm objective for brighter image). I also heard Nightforce are much better scope but it is also more $$$, too (with the deal my buddy can get from Leapold). Is it that much more better?

On the Leupold Mark 4, they have the M1, M3, M5 with different reticle, I'm confuse what is the different and which one is more suitable for me as a beginner. Another friend told me to get the scope have a matching reticle and turret, I'm not sure what he mean by that, anyone may be can explain please?

Leupold base and ring good? another other suggestion? BTW, 1pc base or 2 pcs base?

Finally, what other equipment I may need?

Any help is appreciated

Last edited by ulpian; 10-01-2012 at 9:34 AM..