Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-15-2012, 1:57 AM

Default Bodyguard 380

I'm not a lady but the question is for one.

Does anyone have a S&W bodyguard that my fiancee could try out at a range local to Ventura? I know its PD only in CA. She tried out a few guns and finally decided she liked the .380 but hasn't tried a polymer framed one.

She likes it but has never shot it, so I'd like her to try it out before spending the effort trying to track down a used one for sale. If you or someone you know has one and would be willing to let her try it out I would really appreciate it.
Old 09-15-2012, 7:26 AM

I don't live near Ventura, but there ought to be a range somewhere near there that would rent the model you want. You'd have to call around.

Also, post in the "concealed carry" threads here on CCN. You might find someone who will lend it or go with you to the range, on one of those threads.

(I don't think it's legal in CA to lend a personal gun out if I'm not there in person too, so you can expect someone to want to ride along.)
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-15-2012, 7:48 AM

I hated the Bersa 380. It' hurts the palm of my hand. I went with the XD9 sub and the P239 Sig.

It's too bad you aren't closer because our shop has a lot of rentals and an indoor range.
Old 09-15-2012, 8:15 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

polymer is not going to absorb any recoil.....i didn't rent one because i didn't like the feel of it in my hand in the store but then its not for me, is it?

how many pistols has she handled? and which ones?

personally, as a woman with small hands i want metal with comfortable grips and that's whether its a semi-auto or revolver.

the suggestion of posting in other threads is a good one. and she is wise to not get a gun unless she's fired it. i've got lots of hand guns and am just now comfortable with buying w/o firing because i've got more experience with what works for me and what doesn't when i'm actually at the range.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-18-2012, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Also, post in the "concealed carry" threads here on CCN.
Good idea! I didnt even think of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
I hated the Bersa 380. It' hurts the palm of my hand. I went with the XD9 sub and the P239 Sig.
Thanks! they were actually pushing her towards a Bersa so I'll keep that in mind and make sure she fires it before considering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
how many pistols has she handled? and which ones?
Shes fired my .40S&W P99, and a few of my friends glocks, sigs, kimber, as well as a .22, and CZ .380 that we rented last time we went to the range. There is another one we haven't gotten to yet but the one we did go to doesn't have much variety to rent.

She liked the recoil of the .380 cartridge but it was also a steel frame where the bodyguard is polymer.

I wouldn't let her buy one without at least getting a feel for it and knowing how the cartridge reacts. The range not having a polymer rental for that size sucks though

Thanks for all the replies! I'll take it over to the concealed forum and see if I have any luck
Old 09-18-2012, 2:47 AM

Has she tried a sig p232 yet
Old 09-18-2012, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

I have the Bodyguard 380 and the trigger pull on that thing is about 50lbs! I dont know if she'll like it but thats how all the pocket guns are anyways... good luck finding someone around your area. Too bad Im waay too far from you.

PS: Im not a gal. haha.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 AM

I wish the hubby would have let me try it out before purchasing it "for me" :-/ Like Mif Slim said, the trigger is a bear and there are no mods for it...yet. I was able to qualify with it for my ccw, but it's not what I would have chosen for my edc. Good luck finding one local.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:54 PM

I could no more pick out a gun for my husband, than he could pick out a bra for me. He knows I wear bras, but ask him size or style and ~~~crickets~~~. LOL
Old 09-18-2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
I could no more pick out a gun for my husband, than he could pick out a bra for me. He knows I wear bras, but ask him size or style and ~~~crickets~~~. LOL
OMG, the lady is RIGHT ! But she's so funny while telling us wisdom. Rock on Bugs!
Old 09-18-2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
OMG, the lady is RIGHT ! But she's so funny while telling us wisdom. Rock on Bugs!
LOL Thanks! I will say though, that there was one time that he was right in choosing something for me. It was when I was buying my first motorcycle. He said "Buy the Ninja 500" I said "No, I want the 250 and I won't be riding much so I don't want to spend that much money on a bike" He said "12yrs, I know better than to tell you what to do so do as you will" LOL I bought the 250. We rode together a LOT and about 5mo later I was hinting at the 500 for our anniversary and he was adamant that I was not getting a new bike after 5mo. So one day I stop by the dealership to drool over the 2005 Ninja 500 and he calls me and I said "Guess where I am?" and he says "Where?" and I said "Vacaville Motorsports" and there is this pause and he says "WHAT DID SETH TELL YOU???" and I was like "WTF?" and Seth heard him and was saying "I didn't say ANYTHING Bill!" He gave himself away. He had already arranged to bring in my 250 and get me the 500 but wanted it to be a surprise. LOL

He gets to be right once every 15yrs or so... LOL
Old 09-19-2012, 6:02 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm missing out on a lot of cool conversations!! I think the ladies forum might be my next thing! Haha, no pissing contest, just normal conversation! :thumps:
Old 09-19-2012, 7:47 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

you noticed!
welcome to join us...you have the right 'tude.
however, you weren't here about a month ago when the dudes with 'tudes wanting to take over "our" area invaded.
geez, what a mess.
bad enough they use OT as a toilet much less trying to do it here.
again, welcome and join in when/if motivated.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-19-2012, 8:52 AM

Quote:
you noticed!
however, you weren't here about a month ago when the dudes with 'tudes wanting to take over "our" area invaded.
geez, what a mess.
Which just dawned on me this morning why women are better shots... Has has to to with the toilet. LMAO
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
you noticed!
however, you weren't here about a month ago when the dudes with 'tudes wanting to take over "our" area invaded. geez, what a mess.
LMAO. In case anyone missed it, little boys tried to 'jack the Women's Forum last month, and got their tiny wrists soundly slapped. The women and the real men stood together and laughed them off the forum. All gone now !