Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 09-17-2012, 5:09 PM

Default I got yelled at!

I got yelled at... for shooting a gun... at the range?

So - Range etiquette?

We were at the range the other morning trying out my new shotty and pistol. All I had left were some 3" magnum slugs. I let two loose. (Bull's eyes!) As I'm lining up another shot, the guy in the next booth yells at me; "JAYSUS, THANKS FOR THE WARNING" giving me a cross-armed stink-eye.

He stood there with the stink face expecting an apology or something. I was rather perplexed and replied; "It don't think that's customary here." I have been shooting at this place 2-3 times a week for months and have NEVER heard anyone call a shotgun warning. This guy seemed to feel entitled to one.

I am still sort of irked by the whole thing. He is the first RUDE firearms person I have had the displeasure to interact with.

To me, calling; "shotgun!" has always been to reserve the front passenger seat. If this guy needs a warning maybe he should pick up a quieter hobby like knitting. At the ranges where any of you kind readers shoot, do they require some sort of vocal warning for shotguns?

One thing I really enjoy about the firearms culture is the uncommon politeness of strangers to each other. I would hate it if I displayed some sort of rudeness on my part by not giving a warning. ("FIRE IN THE HOLE?") But to me, interrupting the shooters on either side of me to inform them a loud sound is coming seems absurd and rude.
Old 09-17-2012, 5:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Interrupt him just before he fires to let him know your status regarding your next round.
Old 09-17-2012, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sounds like an indoor range. 3" mags are a lot louder indoors. Outdoors he has no reason to open his mouth.
Old 09-17-2012, 5:23 PM

He probably wet his pants.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member

I think this guy needed to do a 360 degree look around and realize hes at a range, where things called guns make a loud noises It sounds to me like he felt entitled for some reason? Ive been put next to people firing slugs, 30-06, .50 Beo/DTC etc. Ive never felt that they owed me a warning for being loud. If anything it makes me want to go and shoot theirs

Snake Plissken:Got a Smoke?
Malloy:The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no guns, no alcohol, no women-unless your married-no foul language-no red meat!
Snake Plissken-(sarcastic)Land of the Free
Ironic how fiction slowly becomes reality, isnt it?
Veteran Member

I like reading your post it sure is funny you should yell out at the top of your lungs Test firing 12 gauge slugs like on american guns........
what does that guy expect it's a shooting range he should have his ear plugs in all the time.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 09-17-2012, 5:26 PM

Test firing 22 long rifle!!!

Pew pew pew!
Old 09-17-2012, 5:27 PM

I wouldn't have called it for a shot gun but when I take my .50 out I do call fire in the hole trying to be cool but I really don't give a $4!t. You were at an indoor range?
Old 09-17-2012, 5:28 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Should have told him shotty don't play that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-17-2012, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

WOW - did he think he was at the golf course or what?
Old 09-17-2012, 5:31 PM

Yeah..I was next to this guy yesterday at Burro who was shooting a loud 30-06. Didn't bother me one bit (kinda liked it in fact). I then go to shoot my AK and he complains about the spent cartridges hitting him. This has happened to me tons of times and I just man up and take it..that's what safety glasses are for. If it get's you in the skin, who the F cares. Anyways, I was nice enough to accommodate him by moving slightly forward so my shells would not hit him and this still wasn't enough. He was waiting for me to stop shooting each time he would begin to shoot and expected me to do the same. Sorry buddy, I only had a couple hours there to get my shooting on. Anyways, he bummed me out with his attitude as if I ruined his day. He packed up and left after about 20 minutes and I stayed.
Old 09-17-2012, 5:33 PM
Banned

I got a new cart to pull all my crap to the range (when I go by myself) and last week while pulling it down the range a bunch of people gave me the evil look because the wheels on the pavement were making a clickity clack sound. I almost laughed at a few of them thinking the same thing - "ITS A SHOOTING RANGE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE"
Old 09-17-2012, 5:44 PM

Some people are ridiculous
Old 09-17-2012, 5:45 PM

I hate it when I get scared at the range (Been shooting on and off since I was 8 and it still happens), but I certainly wouldn't take it out on the person who fired the gun or anyone for that matter. I'd like to think he was just joking, but you never know.

Old 09-17-2012, 5:47 PM

he needs to surrender his man card cuz he cant handle a little concussive force
Old 09-17-2012, 5:52 PM

That's funny. Never heard anyone giving a warning before shooting at a range. It must of really scared him
Old 09-17-2012, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

The only times I felt bad at the range was
1- i had loaded up some 110 grain jhp for my .357 mag and I went to the max load
A boy scout and first time shooter was learning with a .22
I felt bad for giving a new shooter a loud experience

2 shooting my ar10 with the post ban muzzlebrake. The break is similat to the sjc titan and is the loudest i have ever heard on a .308. So i ended up chasing the guy off of the. Ench next to me with concussion and brass. We set up a target stand to deflect the brass and the concussion turned the target into confetti
Old 09-17-2012, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
I like reading your post it sure is funny you should yell out at the top of your lungs Test firing 12 gauge slugs like on american guns........
what does that guy expect it's a shooting range he should have his ear plugs in all the time.

WTS: IMR4064, H335, H322, H4198
IWI TAVOR B16 FDE 5.56/.223
Old 09-17-2012, 6:15 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

"Can you please stop shooting your gun? It's very loud...."
Old 09-17-2012, 6:17 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorr View Post
Yeah..I was next to this guy yesterday at Burro who was shooting a loud 30-06. Didn't bother me one bit (kinda liked it in fact). I then go to shoot my AK and he complains about the spent cartridges hitting him. This has happened to me tons of times and I just man up and take it..that's what safety glasses are for. If it get's you in the skin, who the F cares. Anyways, I was nice enough to accommodate him by moving slightly forward so my shells would not hit him and this still wasn't enough. He was waiting for me to stop shooting each time he would begin to shoot and expected me to do the same. Sorry buddy, I only had a couple hours there to get my shooting on. Anyways, he bummed me out with his attitude as if I ruined his day. He packed up and left after about 20 minutes and I stayed.
I take it steel core is still a no-go at Burro? I am jonesing to get my AK and SKS on up there but anything other than Wolf or Tula is way too expensive.
Old 09-17-2012, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 09-17-2012, 6:33 PM

OMG you guys are killing me! I had to stop reading to wipe the tears out of my eyes.

Yes, indoor range. The only slugs they had at the counter were Winchester 3" Magnum so I bought a box.
Old 09-17-2012, 6:38 PM
AntisocialJustice Warrior

Smile

If I know that I'm going to do something very, very loud... beyond the ordinary expectations of an indoor range, I will let the folks two lanes down on both sides know. Tap on the shoulder, hold up the shell, say "Loud,,,, Brace"...

Seriously, I've had people drop their guns when the world goes "Blooooey!!!" and stuff falls off the ceiling. It's mildly amusing, but it is better to get along with your neighbors.

Even better when you can hand them five rounds of TNT with a smile and point downrange.

You know, it sure is nice to wake up and not care about how Hillary is feeling.
Old 09-17-2012, 6:43 PM
CGN Contributor

Tell him that next time you'll be sure to ask him to grab more substantial ear pro from his purse before you fire.

Old 09-17-2012, 6:48 PM

Who doesn't like loud noises
Old 09-17-2012, 6:52 PM
AntisocialJustice Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONIC View Post
Who doesn't like loud noises
I have had people drop their guns.

Not kidding.

Bad safety JuJu.

Not trying to be cool or funny. People have lost their stuff.

You know, it sure is nice to wake up and not care about how Hillary is feeling.
Old 09-17-2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorr View Post
Glad you moved to try and accommodate him. Getting hit by shells the lane over has happened to me three times at the indoor range I shoot at. The first time, the guy's buddy saw it and told him to take a step back. The other two times I asked.

Today, they were literally hitting me on the top of the head every other shot. Kindly requested the shooter take a step back and he said "I can, but it won't help." After that, no more falling brass in my lane. Thanked him kindly once again when he was done shooting and he seemed pretty amicable. Nice guy from what I could tell.

If I had to, I would have requested another lane. I don't mind the noise, but I'm still too much of a newbie shooter to shake off being pelted by shells. Hopefully soon...
Old 09-17-2012, 7:05 PM

LoL.. that is funny. I got the stink eye from everyone at the range shooting a 44 magnum . I scared the beejuzus out of some lady next to me, and the worst thing was the dividers are clear plastic. One of the guys did come to me, and ask me to warn him before I shot. LoL, I switched my barrel to the 50ae, and it was louder, and flamey. More stink eye ensued.
Old 09-17-2012, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

He should thank you. LOL
It's good training and learning to deal with distractions and remain focused on the critical task at hand of remaining on target. A real gunfight is going to be a lot more disturbing then a startle at the range.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 09-17-2012, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

This is why I'm glad I dont need an indoor range.

Seriously though, no apology necessary. maybe give a quick warning to the people directly next to you... but it is a range. Loud noises are very common, people should get used to it.
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong; Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

Whatever doesn't kill me... better start running.
Old 09-17-2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I take it steel core is still a no-go at Burro? I am jonesing to get my AK and SKS on up there but anything other than Wolf or Tula is way too expensive.
Yup..no steel or bi-metal, esp. after the fire. I had to dip into my M67.
Old 09-17-2012, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

bring some "My lil pony" earmuffs just incase you ever see him again

Old 09-17-2012, 7:52 PM

Wow people these days hahaha.

For the people that throw brass at me via their firearms I just collect it since they are just tossing it my way. Got a few (50-150 9mm, 100 or so 556) dosent bother me at all, yep I get burnt but not as bad as getting hot oil on you or what not.

I did smack my fiencee with a nice hot pice of brass when she was spotting me (about half a foot from the ejection port) she smacked me, and tossed the brass into our collection box.
There's danger lurking around every corner, that's why I propose we make all of our buildings round.
Old 09-17-2012, 7:55 PM

Lol do these people think that when the shtf they'll have time to put their ear muffs on?
Old 09-17-2012, 7:57 PM
Banned

People at the range are stupid. A couple trips back I had been shooting at my bench for a while and already had a brass barrier. My gun tosses brass and some just happen to make it over. This ***** then comes over to tell me I need to put up a barrier because he's getting dumped on.
I told him, "Tough **** because I was here first and I already setup a barrier.". I told him there are other open spots and he insist on shooting next to me even though he can see my brass flying.
Old 09-17-2012, 8:00 PM

had a guy scare the beejeebus out of me one time with the sound and concussion of whatever he was shooting next to me, I was a little stunned then thought, heck decent training on staying focused while shooting...kept shooting, slowly got used to it
Old 09-17-2012, 8:07 PM
✯ Jr Government Man
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code 798

-------
Old 09-17-2012, 8:07 PM
✯ Jr Government Man
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code 798

-------
Old 09-17-2012, 8:18 PM

You should have called the whambulance for him
Old 09-17-2012, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
WOW - did he think he was at the golf course or what?
Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac...(boom!). It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!