Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-20-2012, 6:06 PM

Just got this post on the thread, guess some girls are listening out there!

"Lots of good reading. I am new here. Went for my first solo ride today. I was so proud of myself for getting the rack on the car by myself lol...I am sort of new to riding and so far only ride the trails. We have a great trail system here in Ohio but today I did turn around because I just got a little spooked by myself. It felt like I was in the woods all by myself. I'm 53 and don't go all that fast when riding and felt like if someone chased me, I wouldn't have enough energy to get away if I rode too far out.

I've been thinking of taking firearm classes and after today and reading this forum it is sounding like a better idea all the time.

I look forward to participating in this forum and learning all I can about solo riding. My husband rides with me on the weekends and we really enjoy it, but during the week I want to get out more."
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 AM

I find women are much different in Texas the last few years. More and more women are buying guns, getting the CHL's and taking defense courses. I walk into a gun shop now and it is almost 50/50 ratio. We know the police are 5 minutes or more away and a crime can happen in seconds. I am a freak about my safety.

Day or night - I am aware of my surroundings at all times. In my own neighborhood, if you don't belong there, I am watching you.

Walking to the car in a parking lot, I walk down the middle of the lane looking each way between cars. I notice who walks in with me to a store and who walks out with me. I never talk on the phone when walking to the car. The bad guys are waiting for you - you are not paying attention. Have your keys in hand, quickly check the back seat, get in the car and lock it before you can even get comfortable.

Never park next to a van with a sliding door....ever!

Driving home -day or night - check the rear view mirror numerous times. If a car makes too many turns with you, go pass your neighborhood and drive to the nearest police station or fire station. Never lead them to your home.

For those of us that have a concealed license - we are the good guys!!! We had to go through the colonoscopy of all back ground checks. The FBI checked us out from the womb to the present. To get this license, you know we never did a bad thing in our lives.

As for my concealed gun, I walk much differently. I feel more confident and I am ready to protect my life and maybe even yours. I chose not to be a victim.

Last edited by vision1214; 08-24-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Old 08-24-2012, 7:02 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

good self-awareness tips and reminders, vision.

additionally, i have a plan should i be hijacked while driving, i have no intention of driving where the bad buy wants me to go. i will crash the car. if i'm going to be injured and/or killed it will be on my terms, not his.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-24-2012, 8:22 AM

A big thumbs up on that situation movie zombie. Hopefully, he wouldn't be wearing his seatbelt.

As for someone surprising you before you get to the car, I think it would be the hardest thing someone would ever go through - saying NO to someone with a gun or knife who is telling you to get in the car and drive. I would rather take the chance that he/she would not shoot or stab me because I would not take their orders. This is the 21st century and there are cameras everywhere. If I am attacked, at least, there would be evidence and that person would spend the rest of their miserable life in prison. I would rather be injuried in a park lot with the best chance of getting medical care than my body being found 4 months later.
Old 08-28-2012, 7:14 AM

I am very new to your site, but thought I would add my perspective.

I am the girl you talk about. I hated guns, thought they should be banned and illegal everywhere. I am here to say that people change, but they will do it not by force. I made the change slowly on my own and realized that many of my ideas were flawed and made out of ignorance of firearms.

I am brand new to gun owning. I recently purchased my first handgun (Glock 19 gen 4) and have been trap shooting with a new (old) used Winchester.

Be patient and help educate people like me. We do come around.
Old 08-28-2012, 7:22 AM

Welcome Savannah!

There are plenty of friendly people on this site - most with good info to share. Glad you started shooting. Be sure to take some classes from good, reputable instructors in whatever area of shooting interests you. I find the more I learn, the more fun I have shooting!

Out of curiosity, was there anything specific that got you to re-think your ideas, and eventually led to gun ownership for you?
Old 08-28-2012, 7:39 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

welcome, savannah!

you are so right: educating people does not equal forcing people. much has to do with how the subject is even talked about. many can turn off an "anti-" with an aggressive tone and words. its once again that more flies are caught with honey than with vinegar.

i so agree with you again, vision. my thoughts are that anyone trying to get me to go anywhere with them is not going to go well for me.

and i echo stacym's question: anything you care to share that got you to rethink your idea, savannah?

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-28-2012, 7:49 AM

Well, a big, warm welcome to you! Your first hand gun is actually my first hand gun too! I had to get my G19 Gen 4 through intrafamilial transfer here in CA, did you do the same?

I call my gun Liberty and I love her, I love her, I love her. She is just so easy to use and I can hit my targets with precision with her in hand. Wish she could accompany me in my daily life, but sadly, no CCW here.

Glad you changed your mind about guns; it's just so good to feel safer, isn't it? Tell us your story; it may help us reach other women who are anti-gun.

Happy shooting,
GG

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
I am very new to your site, but thought I would add my perspective.

I am the girl you talk about. I hated guns, thought they should be banned and illegal everywhere. I am here to say that people change, but they will do it not by force. I made the change slowly on my own and realized that many of my ideas were flawed and made out of ignorance of firearms.

I am brand new to gun owning. I recently purchased my first handgun (Glock 19 gen 4) and have been trap shooting with a new (old) used Winchester.

Be patient and help educate people like me. We do come around.
Old 08-28-2012, 9:28 AM

Welcome Savannah!
Old 08-28-2012, 9:51 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome. There wasn't one incident that got me to change my mind. My son is an avid hunter, though he didn't get that gene from me nor my husband. I went up to his place and did some shooting at targets off his deck and had a good time. I decided to take a trap shoot instruction class with my family. We had a blast, so to speak.

Then my son won the "grand prize" at his local NRA dinner but really wanted a new hunting shotgun so he wanted to sell his NRA prize to his Dad so he could afford his hunting shotgun We acquired our first rifle so the safety course was the bargain I made with my husband. If he would take the safety class with me, he could buy it. After the class I was hooked. I discovered I enjoyed trap shooting and loved pistol target shooting. I would like to do the NRA challenge.

The .22 I wanted is not available in CA and I was disappointed. I wanted the Buckmark Contour, but ended up getting a Smith and Wesson 41. I thought I couldn't have the Glock Gen 4 either, but turned out you can buy them with some minor changes that you are free to change back.

I am independent and will make up my mind about things, sometimes slowly. I just have slowly seen changes in life that have brought me to the conclusion that guns are only tools and are only dangerous if they are in untrained hands. I plan to continue with the Hunter safety course, CCW course and home protection course.

I do think that slowly our firearm ownership will be tested. I want to be one of the people that will be educated enough to be able to fight any changes in the law that take away our Constitutional rights. Can't do that if I don't understand.
Old 08-28-2012, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
I'd bet $20 that if you were having this same discussion in person with 25 of those people, you would get the same responses.

Then in private afterwards, 10 of them would want to talk to you to get more information because they realize they are responsible for their own safety.
THIS a million times.

**Edit**
Didnt realize this was a ladies only section....sorry. Ill leave now.
Old 08-28-2012, 6:50 PM

Not ladies only at all! Welcome to the discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARC_Mike View Post
THIS a million times.

**Edit**
Didnt realize this was a ladies only section....sorry. Ill leave now.
Old 08-28-2012, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the warm welcome. There wasn't one incident that got me to change my mind. My son is an avid hunter, though he didn't get that gene from me nor my husband. I went up to his place and did some shooting at targets off his deck and had a good time. I decided to take a trap shoot instruction class with my family. We had a blast, so to speak.

Then my son won the "grand prize" at his local NRA dinner but really wanted a new hunting shotgun so he wanted to sell his NRA prize to his Dad so he could afford his hunting shotgun We acquired our first rifle so the safety course was the bargain I made with my husband. If he would take the safety class with me, he could buy it. After the class I was hooked. I discovered I enjoyed trap shooting and loved pistol target shooting. I would like to do the NRA challenge.

The .22 I wanted is not available in CA and I was disappointed. I wanted the Buckmark Contour, but ended up getting a Smith and Wesson 41. I thought I couldn't have the Glock Gen 4 either, but turned out you can buy them with some minor changes that you are free to change back.

I am independent and will make up my mind about things, sometimes slowly. I just have slowly seen changes in life that have brought me to the conclusion that guns are only tools and are only dangerous if they are in untrained hands. I plan to continue with the Hunter safety course, CCW course and home protection course.

I do think that slowly our firearm ownership will be tested. I want to be one of the people that will be educated enough to be able to fight any changes in the law that take away our Constitutional rights. Can't do that if I don't understand.
Yeah, the Sig I want is not on the roster in CA. So not fair! Good to see another independent woman!!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Girl in CA View Post
Thanks again for all the support, everyone. Love gun people. Love them.

I haven't had one woman even try to dismantle what I said. Maybe because they dislike contentious debate on the forum, maybe because they are indifferent, or maybe because they don't want to engage someone (me) that they have written off as crazy. Whatever the case, the good news is that a couple of pro-gunners were brave enough to chime in after my statement. I'm attaching the forum thread so you can see for yourself. Note at the beginning when the woman who brings up guns in the first place is totally chastised by "Tulip" and then "Crankin" rushes in to second her sentiment. That was when I decided to speak up.
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=48622
Team ESTROGEN?

What the crap? That kinda reminds me of the pink sari wearing Indian women that beat the crap out of men as retaliation for being "oppressed" and then justifying it as "feminism". Ugh.

But no, I'd recommend to the person that mentioned the holsters and the OP Cornered Cat. Plenty of information there for women and concealed carry.

If anything, I feel women need concealed carry MORE SO than the men much of the time; being female gives us the stereotype of being weak, submissive, easy to overpower. I can just imagine the look on a criminal's face when he sees that woman he thought was an easy target pull a pistol out of concealment. I can also imagine the bodily function in the drawers that may or may not happen, and it makes me giggle a little bit, as well as proud that women can empower themselves to prevent many attempts at making her a victim.

All of this is why California makes me angry. I just did a county to county search looking for special restrictions on CCW in each county. I didn't find many restrictions, but I did find plenty of annoyance with the application process. Modoc county limits you to age 25, been in the county for a year, among other things. Monterey county flat out interviews your neighbors, your family, your employer, your coworkers. Way to keep concealed concealed when half your neighborhood knows you're packing heat!!

And don't forget most counties want a clear reason.. if you claim self protection, you need to be able to prove documented incidents where someone threatened your life. You have to prove that someone is out to get you, or threatened your family. That sort of defeats the purpose for a lot of people, especially women. The whole point of having a concealed weapon is to protect yourself in the case of an attack; you should not need a history of attack or threat in order to get this precaution!!

Ugh.

I'm going to go to bed. This has me fired up. Good night ladies(and gents)!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiri View Post

All of this is why California makes me angry. I just did a county to county search looking for special restrictions on CCW in each county.
In San Diego your chances are pretty much zero of getting a CCW unless you're law enforcement, know the sheriff or have been a previous victim of violence.
Old 08-29-2012, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRazz View Post
In San Diego your chances are pretty much zero of getting a CCW unless you're law enforcement, know the sheriff or have been a previous victim of violence.
It's like that in many counties I found.

And if they caught the guy, they tell you "you don't need it any more, the guy's in jail".

Idiots. All of them.
Old 08-29-2012, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiri View Post
It's like that in many counties I found.

And if they caught the guy, they tell you "you don't need it any more, the guy's in jail".

Idiots. All of them.
Yeah, because we all know that the bad guys always get punished and they never get released on a technicality and then come back for revenge or commit another crime.... Ugh! Irritating
Old 08-29-2012, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Wink

Shouldn't their acronym properly be, "Haters Against Guns?"

Or, "Ninnies Against Guns?"

Sooo
... HOW'D that RINO work out for ya'... AGAIN!
Old 08-29-2012, 3:15 PM

"I know people who have been attacked in broad daylight in grocery store parking lots in "nice" parts of town, and maybe you do, too. The undertone of some of the posts is that it is overkill or paranoid of a woman to be legally carrying a gun. Well, I don't know, is that really a fair statement? I know that it is highly unlikely that my house will burn down, but I have smoke detectors. I know that odds are I will complete my errands without being in a car accident, but I still wear a seat belt every time I go. I don't think that makes me paranoid. I think it makes me prepared."

^-- I really liked this response. To me it makes perfect sense!
Old 08-29-2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Girl in CA View Post
I love to ride my bike and belong to an online women's cycling forum. It has lots of great info on all things cycling and I have really enjoyed reading the posts.

Yesterday a woman posted about staying safe while riding solo. She wanted to know what she could do to stay safe. One woman responded that she has been eyeing holsters that she could wear while out riding. This was, naturally, met with all kinds of criticism. I chimed in and put in a gentle word for firearms being a valid choice. Of course there were all manner of responses that indicated this would be paranoid, overkill, maybe you should just move if you feel you have to be armed, etc. Why are there so many women who are against guns? Why would they disdain the one tool that would make them equal to a stronger, violent man? Why do I have to worry that my belief that I have the right to defend myself will alienate me from so-called educated, smart women?

I decided to risk being flayed and below is my response:

******"Lots of thought-provoking responses to the OP on this thread! In turn, it has made me think more about the subject as I read the responses. The more I turn it over in my mind, the simple fact is: victims of violent crime didn't expect to BE victims of violent crime. Otherwise, they would not have been at that place or doing that activity or trusting that person. So, what happens if you can't just simply avoid an evil person?

I know people who have been attacked in broad daylight in grocery store parking lots in "nice" parts of town, and maybe you do, too. The undertone of some of the posts is that it is overkill or paranoid of a woman to be legally carrying a gun. Well, I don't know, is that really a fair statement? I know that it is highly unlikely that my house will burn down, but I have smoke detectors. I know that odds are I will complete my errands without being in a car accident, but I still wear a seat belt every time I go. I don't think that makes me paranoid. I think it makes me prepared.

Fear of firearms is also expressed - I might shoot myself, etc. I have big, huge kitchen knives that assist me to whip up a mean dinner for DH when he walks in the door. Do I worry that they are potentially lethal weapons and that I might hurt myself using them? No. Because I'm careful, responsible, and I know how to use the knives. And I feel the same way about my own gun. I'm careful, responsible and I know exactly how to use it.

The OP's original statement was this:" But I would want to do everything in my power to ensure my safety." We owe her an honest response. However we personally feel about guns, they are the great equalizer. A gun in the hands of a 75 year old woman makes her more powerful than a 20 year old violent man. Just like any other potentially dangerous tool we use (cars, knives, chemicals, etc), we need to know how to use them properly and safely and obey the laws that govern them.

The goal of my response is to provoke further thought and not emotional responses. 2012 was the year I had to confront my thoughts about firearms (never having had one or wanted one or needed one before). I realize a gun isn't the answer for everyone, but let's do try to consider all of our options to keep ourselves safe."***************

I get nervous because I know I'm about to be attacked over this, but I care about misinformation being circulated MORE. So, good thing I have you guys. I know you won't think I'm crazy/paranoid/overreacting.
i would really like to know what kinda replays you received after that post
Old 08-29-2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision1214 View Post
A big thumbs up on that situation movie zombie. Hopefully, he wouldn't be wearing his seatbelt.

As for someone surprising you before you get to the car, I think it would be the hardest thing someone would ever go through - saying NO to someone with a gun or knife who is telling you to get in the car and drive. I would rather take the chance that he/she would not shoot or stab me because I would not take their orders. This is the 21st century and there are cameras everywhere. If I am attacked, at least, there would be evidence and that person would spend the rest of their miserable life in prison. I would rather be injuried in a park lot with the best chance of getting medical care than my body being found 4 months later.
Find a nice object or guard rail to fishtail into. Slam the passenger side into the post.

Works best with no passenger bags.
Old 08-29-2012, 6:39 PM

All kinds of responses, most of them idiotic and/or ascinine. Read for yourself, you'll be angry by the end of it...

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=48622

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMotives View Post
i would really like to know what kinda replays you received after that post
Old 08-29-2012, 6:46 PM

I'm against violence. And I'm REALLY against violence aimed at ME !
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 08-29-2012, 9:02 PM

just read through the thread and have completely changed my viewpoint.

next time i go hiking in bear country i will take neither bear spray nor firearms. i refuse to live in fear for what might happen. i will simply keep my head up and be alert. after all, why would i spend money on a lightweight carbon framed pack only to weigh it down with defensive gear?
Old 08-29-2012, 9:47 PM

"I've survived 2 very violent crimes that included rape twice in my life and at one time was familiar with protection orders. Even with all of that I've no desire to ever own/carry a weapon of any kind and have strong opinions on the wisdom of carrying a firearm for common/usual activities. "

What's that saying, "Fool me one, shame on you.. Fool me twice, shame on me" cmon, you'd think you'd learn the first time, but two times? I guess it's the fear of weapons got the best of her. I just can't imagine being raped, let alone twice and not make some decisions about protecting myself.

To Glock Girl, well written!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I know this isn't in line with the original post, but it is in line with some of the other fantastic tips that members are giving so I wanted to post it up.
It's a copy/paste of a reply I made to a situational awareness thread a couple of months ago. Some of these ideas have already been shared but I figured I'd just post it whole.
I figured I'd share with my fellow females and if anyone takes anything away from it, it'll be worth posting off-topic.
Here it is:

Quote:
I am of the opinion that many bad guys/oportunistic criminals will see a small woman as a vulnerable target due to size and strength so I do try to always be aware and able to not only avoid situations where something bad could happen but also to be able to properly defend myself should the need arise.

Back in 1998 I took a unisex self defense class taught by a SWAT team instructor for the city. A few things he harped on which I will never forget and have made a conscious effort to practice daily.

Most people are oblivious to their surroundings. When walking out of a grocery store or work or wherever watch people as they go and most likely you'll catch yourself making some of these same mistakes: Most are on the phone, looking down, fumbling for their keys, etc. Not really paying attention to the world around them.
Always make sweeping glances around and if you see someone, make brief eye contact. The instructor had told us that most potential attackers look for the oblivious victim to get the drop on them and by just making brief eye contact, it can dissuade a potential attacker because now you can identify them. I have never verified the validity of this claim but to me it makes sense. If you do any people watching, you really see that most people seem to be completely unaware.

Another thing I do is ALWAYS walk away from cars in parking lots and corners of walls, buildings, etc. My partner thinks it's fun to try to hide and jump out and scare me which he does on a regular basis for some reason. However, I know it's frustrating b/c 99.29% of the time he's spotted and the tactic fails. It doesn't make me jumpy at all and I don't mind b/c I feel that it's a good training exercise. If I'm ever caught off guard, that was a fail on my part.
Another thing to note. Most people feel safe in their 'comfort zone'. Around their house, broad daylight, the corner store down the street, etc. The more you are aware, the better prepared you will be in the face of a threat and the less likely that an opportunistic criminal will see you as an easy target.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 PM

I enjoyed your post, it was a good read and keep up the good job of representing the pro-gun community.

"Death for no reason is Murder!" by The Smiths (Morrissey)
Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post
"I've survived 2 very violent crimes that included rape twice in my life and at one time was familiar with protection orders. Even with all of that I've no desire to ever own/carry a weapon of any kind and have strong opinions on the wisdom of carrying a firearm for common/usual activities. "

What's that saying, "Fool me one, shame on you.. Fool me twice, shame on me" cmon, you'd think you'd learn the first time, but two times? I guess it's the fear of weapons got the best of her. I just can't imagine being raped, let alone twice and not make some decisions about protecting myself.

There is something that rings familiar about that. It's tuggin' at my brain but I remember something about(and I am paraphrasing) "you have to stare down your fear until you no longer fear what it is. Until then, you are captive to it and it will rule you and he will win" I can't remember it exactly but it was written by Jaycee Dugard after facing her captor in court.
Old 08-30-2012, 6:55 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

i so agree with being aware of surroundings. it is also my observation that those with perhaps not good intent do notice who is watching. in other words, they notice "the watchers".

another thing i do not do is sit with my back to a door nor do i sit in the middle of a restaurant.

threats are not just out in parking lots. getting caught between feuding gangs is also a personal threat.

i will support a woman's choice to remain unarmed if she wants, but she has no right to interfer with my choice as to being armed to defend myself. read my signature, ladies, and feel free to use it with anti's.

Gun Control:
Old 08-30-2012, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts
"you have to stare down your fear until you no longer fear what it is. Until then, you are captive to it and it will rule you and he will win" I can't remember it exactly but it was written by Jaycee Dugard after facing her captor in court.
Boy, that describes me exactly. That afraid of weapons woman was, and still is me, but I am working on it. It is a long road for those of us that have fear of things that go bang! I have a healthy respect for the choice I have made. Be kind and patient with that person. They do eventually see the light. You can't take us by force, you have to train us with knowledge.
Old 08-30-2012, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post

As bad as this is going to sound, it sounds like she's asking for it.

They always like to blame the victim for how she's dressed, how she acts, whatever. Assuming every rape victim's a whore... anyone that takes the attitude like that person quoted is just asking to have something happen. Restraining orders don't do anything. THEY DO. NOTHING. If they're really crazy, they're going to ignore it. And you have to call the cops for enforcement.

Around here, a good part of the year police response times are GARBAGE. I live in a college town. This means during the entirety of the school year, the small police department has to deal with drunken idiots causing problems in the bars and plaza downtown. Property damage is common. 50+ person parties with potato guns and underage drinking. 4 hour response times to breaking said parties up.

For me to rely on a restraining order to keep away some flaming moron would be essentially signing a death sentence order.

And this state's going broker and broker. Police are often the first thing they cut, right up there with social services and education.

This makes me angry. Naive. Stupid and naive.
Old 08-30-2012, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Boy, that describes me exactly. That afraid of weapons woman was, and still is me, but I am working on it. It is a long road for those of us that have fear of things that go bang! I have a healthy respect for the choice I have made. Be kind and patient with that person. They do eventually see the light. You can't take us by force, you have to train us with knowledge.
Well, I'm in the process of picking up a new pistol in the next month or so(Stupid limited budget).

Once I pick that up and get her out of jail, if you'd like we can go make things go bang and get over that fear of yours. It's a fairly new thing for me as well(rifles, shotguns, sure. Handguns? Not quite done), boyfriend's been shooting them for quite some time now, and we can make the journey together if you're in the area.
Old 08-30-2012, 9:10 AM

I also have a Glock 19 in jail right now. I get her on the 8th. I am in the Sacramento area, but have access to a home in Cleone. Is it legal for me to carry my pistol in the trunk for that distance? Not like I am actually going to or from a range. See how new I am?

I have in my possession a S&W 41 .22 a Winchester shotgun and a an AR15 .223.
Old 08-30-2012, 8:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I also have a Glock 19 in jail right now. I get her on the 8th. I am in the Sacramento area, but have access to a home in Cleone. Is it legal for me to carry my pistol in the trunk for that distance? Not like I am actually going to or from a range. See how new I am?

I have in my possession a S&W 41 .22 a Winchester shotgun and a an AR15 .223.
Here ya go:
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

It has to be unloaded in a locked container. And note that the glove box doesn't fit the requirement for locked container. It doesn't even have to be in your trunk.

You can keep it locked up (a biometric safe under your seat would even count) as long as its unloaded. The ammo can be with it, just not in it.

You are under no obligation to say where you are going (ie to the range or what not). But if a cop asks you, you legally have to declare it to her/him only if they ask. Also make note that there are restrictions on school zones too for where you can and can't have a firearm. Make sure that you are fully aware of the regulations where it's legal to have it.
Hope that helps.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 08-30-2012, 9:34 PM

Thank you Kaligaran. Good info.
Old 09-12-2012, 2:27 PM

I have friends who were raised in "non-gun" homes and who are themselves terrified of the concept of a firearm in their home. They insist that if an emergency, such as an intruder, were to arise they would simply call 9-1-1 and the police would take care of them. (As you are all simultaniously facepalming on that, let me explain that these are HIGHLY educated and HIGHLY intelligent Women and MEN who have listened a little too much to the media in my opinion).

Why my belief in citizen gun ownership has been affirmed:
Last month there was a loud noise outside my condo, a 70 foot tall tree had fallen and knocked a few other trees over as it fell in the nature reserve near my home. There are is a homeless population that lives in this reserve and often gather firewood and wood to create lean-tos. We did not know if anyone was hurt and as it was 1:15am could not immediately find the downed trees from our location in the large wooded area. Fearing someone could potentially be trapped under the tree given all the (human) rustling and scurrying we heard we called 9-1-1 to have police assist us in finding the downed trees and make sure nobody was injured and needing help. After 3 calls and over an hour the police never actually showed up to my address which I clearly stated each time I called all because the dispatcher translated it into typed up form incorrectly. I spoke to the shift commander and the chief the next day over the issue to determine where things went wrong. I am happy/grateful to say nobody was injured.... this time.

But the moral of this incident to my non-gun friends: even if the police are "5 minutes away" like they are from my home doesn't mean they will show up at ALL if they are never dispatched! If you can not protect yourself and your family then nobody will be protecting you. And for women who push the responsiblity of protection onto the man in their life: unless you plan to be literally joined at the hip to him, he will not be there to protect you 100% of the time.... Criminals don't want to strike when he is around, it's when you look the most vunlerable that they feel the timing is right. Why would you force a life and death responsibility on to someone if they can't be there all the time to fulfill the obligation, and men.... why would you accept that uphill battle?
Old 09-12-2012, 3:10 PM

We live 1.5 miles from the Sheriffs Station. That station serves Santee, Lakeside, part of El Cajon and part of Ramona. (Check that out on a map and see how big it is)

So, depending on where they are in their shift and other things going on (they tend to have multiple cruisers on a single event).....it could be a really long time before they got here.
Old 09-12-2012, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

Default Problems.

The real problem isn't guns, it is "mindset".

Many people have a set of "non-violence" values, in their idealistic mind, violence is "never justified".

Someone who has core values of "non-violence" will look only at defensive tools that won't injure the attackers.

Many people have said to me that they have nothing against "self-defense", but they don't like guns.

What it comes down to is they are okay with self defense as long as the attacker isn't seriously injured.

The problem is a defensive situation is one of those rare times where violence isn't just an option, it is the only option that will give you a chance at survival.

Biking and running are activities that many women do alone and while it may be nice that others know your route, by the time they find out that you are in trouble, it often is too late.

Of course carrying a firearm for self-defense means you should invest the time and money to become very effective with your gun.

A gun is a tool, your real weapon is your mindset. Get the right mindset, take the right training, get proficient with your gun, then you will have a viable self-defense tool.

Back up your gun with pepper spray and some hand to hand defense training and you will be better prepared than most.

Nicki