Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-02-2012, 2:02 PM

Some of you may notice that I addressed the original post to "Ladies" in the women's forum. I meant it. I did it on purpose.

Some of the men who responded gave me good advice on how to keep safe. Some of the others, apparently men, essentially told me I was a chicken, or a man-hater, for my caution. I say unto you "bull****".

For those men who can't understand why women feel at risk, try to remember yourself in your 12-year-old body. Smaller, shorter, weaker, not a football jock. You got to grow out of it, into a mature strong man. Women mostly don't ever grow out of that size. What if you were 5'3" and 110 lbs your whole life? And we feel it every day.

There are exceptions, women who have had good training, in the military, cops, firefighters. But they are still a minority among women.

So think about it, guys. And please don't tell us we shouldn't be nervous or cautious, when we clearly are. Because we said we felt that way.

To the men and women who answered compassionately, thank you for your awareness and consideration.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-02-2012, 2:08 PM

BTW, I did a meetup with a Calgunner, not the original person I asked about. Had a great time, plinked a bunch of ammunition. The Calgunner was really nice, we'll do it again some time.

The range was a well known, busy sort of place, so I felt ok just meeting up there. Still went home by a roundabout way, just to be on the safe side. Because several of you told me it was a good idea. It was.

Tried shooting left-hand-left-eye, left-hand-right eye, etc. Got some really different groupings than my original right-hand-right-eye, but still good. Didn't expect the variance.

A fun day all around. And thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Some said "just go for it", which is obviously foolish for a woman shooter. Most people gave some good advice, that should be useful to anyone. Thanks again.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-02-2012, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Some of you may notice that I addressed the original post to "Ladies" in the women's forum. I meant it. I did it on purpose.

Some of the men who responded gave me good advice on how to keep safe. Some of the others, apparently men, essentially told me I was a chicken, or a man-hater, for my caution. I say unto you "bull****".

For those men who can't understand why women feel at risk, try to remember yourself in your 12-year-old body. Smaller, shorter, weaker, not a football jock. You got to grow out of it, into a mature strong man. Women mostly don't ever grow out of that size. What if you were 5'3" and 110 lbs your whole life? And we feel it every day.

There are exceptions, women who have had good training, in the military, cops, firefighters. But they are still a minority among women.

So think about it, guys. And please don't tell us we shouldn't be nervous or cautious, when we clearly are. Because we said we felt that way.

To the men and women who answered compassionately, thank you for your awareness and consideration.
Honestly f*ck what anyone says, I have met a few ppl on here, doing buys and etc, good people. However I've had close encounters at shooting events like silencers are legal in tx, and etc; where guys just push to much. They see a nice chest, muscular/toned athletic body, and a pretty face; then all sense is out the window, and they want to be overtly social, even if they aren't interested. There are NICE guys out there who respect boundaries, and they are cool guys. I've met MANY, so they are out there, its just on a forum like this one, where their is a ladies section, its just understandable that guys will come on in here, I'm just glad most have been very nice again some guys can be flakes and jerks, pushy. But others have been amazingly great folks! One guy helped me source some KAC stuff, and we hung out and with his wife we all had a bbq a while back, and just talked about cars, and shot show.

Good stuff, then lead to blade show talk, and fishing.

Honestly, you're your own meter, if someone is sketchy, avoid, always follow that gut feeling. This isnt a dating site, neither is places like FB, lol, yet guys there shark for women....

Use your own discretion.
Old 09-02-2012, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post

Thank you.

You also summed up in it's entirety almost, why I want a LTC.

Of course, I have to pray I get lucky and have the SO give me one. -_- I hear it's easy here in my county but I don't trust it.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 AM

I used to be very "soft", and I guess thats a plus when I modeled. However, after wanting to train and train hard with my brothers, a few friends. I decided I needed to train, and build the F up :P pardon the french. I went from 88-90 pounds to right now being 112 pounds of muscle, toned, and still very very thin, I just look defined, not all hulked, thats all. If you want to be capable, a pistol, or any other weaponized system will only be a force multiplier, increasing your already capable skillset. If you really want to be well rounded theres a lot you must do. First is if you aren't, get healthier. From your diet, to your exercising, you need to be a capable bodied person. You can have all the do dad gear tacticool stuff you want, but if you don't have proper mindset, skillsets, and bodily ability to perform with as much gear as you have or as much as you DO NOT have, then you really hinder yourself.

Take generic self defense classes, local chika catering defense classes are OK, but then seek hard fighting instruction, learn learn learn.

Knowledge coupled with experience increases surviveability. Be it a bad date, a stalker, a rapist, etc.

For instance, lets use a guy for example. If a guy is 5 feet and maybe 6-8 inches, 250+ pounds, doesn't exercise, doesn't eat right, no relative endurance what so ever, no combative training with his fire arm, or with his body...but he has a name brand this and that, say a nicely setup Noveske, with all the cool gizmos and starship parts. Has a fancy chest rig, all these pouches, all these items...heavy boots he hasn't broken in, and or used. Fancy rambo knives, and etc.

You really think he can handle himself? Take an average guy, who functionally gyms it, not cosmetically. His body is and has been conditioned to perform. He may have taken a few classes with Costa, Haley, Proctor, etc ppl. He may go to a Mixed Martial Arts gym and practice 2-3 nights a week.

He may only have a S&W MP15 Tac, a little Ares Belt, some raven stuff like a pistol holster, magazine holsters, a little gerber cheap *** prodigy, cheap g2x entry level buy in surefire light, a cheap second hand G19 or something, and because hes seasoned, and practiced, his survival rate is excessively higher then arm chair commando.

So relative to us ladies, what does this mean? We are smaller, often yes WEAKER, and at a disadvantage in and at alot of things.

I am under 5ft, but I train, and train hard. From in the gym, to in a ring with my brothers as trainers, or out at the range.

Practice Dynamically. Not just standing in front of a paper target, paper targets don't shoot back, they don't run for cover, they don't do a lot of things.

Sheep and Wolves, then there are pissed off little doggies, I may not be some big tough dog, but I am not defenseless, and I will NEVER be a victim.

If you really want to get serious, guide yourself with your own actions.

I am in process of talking with a few ladies in my car group some are LE/MIL, some are married to very very well qualified guys lol, we are talking about holding a few weekend long training "schools" bringing from basic, to proficient and capable. And being WOMEN only. Working on time schedules, looking at locations, and I myself have been emailing a few BIG name teaching folks out there for backing and maybe support.

If this gets solid, and we can get things lined up, would love to help others become more capable and confident with their shooting.

But in anycase, please, don't rely solely on a fire arm. Condition yourself in and as a whole. Fire Arms run out of munitions, they can have a variety of problems, even if they are flawless, you yourself must be on par. It makes odds better and in your favor.

Long reply and post, but hey; felt compelled to reply in context since this matters.
Old 09-05-2012, 7:17 PM

Hey ladies first post in this sub forum, read all the replys. Good points both male and female I must say. Safety is always key while shooting, as is situational awareness. I can't say if you should or shouldn't meet, don't know the details. Generally I would say shooting ranges are a pretty comfortable place to be, again don't know what raised the flag. I'm not saying go for it, although I am saying don't over analyze things. If I knew someone owned firearms and was going to go meet them for the first time the gun range would seem like a safe place, everybody has guns and everyone knows it. It's hard for me to findout who has a gun at Starbucks. Anyway after reading the last post about the fat rich guy vs. The fit guy that knows how to use what he's got, I would like to know who is the one you worry about?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 AM

I'm new here. Hi y'all! I'd love to meet some lady Calgunners in Norcal. A ladies range day would be fun!