Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 06-27-2012, 6:53 AM
russianriver russianriver is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Above the mud,Sonoma Co
Posts: 7
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default Pick-up at Cow Mountain

My helper and I were at Cow Mountain rifle range Monday and had a great time there. We were alone most of the day till 3:30 or so when a few locals showed up. After going thru 500 or so rounds of different calibers we broke out the rakes, shovels, and garbage bags. Came home with 9 full bags and i 60 gallon garbage can full of shooting debris. Mostly shotgun shells and paper/cardboard boxes and as much brass as we could scrape up. Lots of old brass buried around the tables (which were in pretty bad shape). Will be taking this load to the dump Thursday. I will be keeping an eye on this thread and am willing to help with a more organized clean up. I took a few photos and will post this evening of what we saw there. I was happy to see the hanging targets at 300 and 500(?) yards out and happier that I was hitting them with my '94 long rifle. Chris.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 06-27-2012, 7:40 AM
bergmen bergmen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ukiah, California
Posts: 311
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Hey Chris, excellent news. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. I don't know when I'll get up there next, maybe this weekend. I'm off for a four day motorcycle trip the following weekend.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 06-27-2012, 8:39 AM
bohoki's Avatar
bohoki bohoki is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 95492
Posts: 18,027
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

i was just there yesterday and the place did look a tad cleaner at least around the benches still tonnes of shotshells strewn

a full dumpster would barely make a dent
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 06-27-2012, 5:38 PM
mmayer707's Avatar
mmayer707 mmayer707 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mountain House, CA
Posts: 698
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I used to go 4 wheeling there in the late 90's. It was never this bad. Pretty ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 06-27-2012, 8:22 PM
XVIga_Rob's Avatar
XVIga_Rob XVIga_Rob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 916
Posts: 1,417
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I only get to Cow about 3 or so times a year. I will be at the lake in Aug and will make a trip to Cow. As usual, I'll pack out what I brought, plus some. If there will be a scheduled clean-up, let me know the dates.

P.S. Porter. Good to see a fellow trooper here!
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 06-28-2012, 5:25 PM
clb clb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 66
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Just got back from rubicon..
been offline
STIRRING THE POT.
CB
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 06-28-2012, 6:53 PM
XVIga_Rob's Avatar
XVIga_Rob XVIga_Rob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 916
Posts: 1,417
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
Just got back from rubicon..
been offline
STIRRING THE POT.
CB
Was just up there on Father's Day weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 06-29-2012, 4:33 PM
clb clb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 66
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
Was just up there on Father's Day weekend.
Did i miss a group cleanup???
Hope not. cb
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 06-29-2012, 5:11 PM
bergmen bergmen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ukiah, California
Posts: 311
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
Did i miss a group cleanup???
Hope not. cb
Take a look at my post #115, I basically recommend individual efforts at all of the shooting areas except the Rifle Range.

My opinion is a cleanup effort can take place at the Range but if it is to be comprehensive, BLM should be notified and a formal closure activated for safety reasons, especially since there is debris downrange.

A lot of very worthy cleanup can be done at the Range around the shooting benches and parking lot with rakes, shovels and garbage bags.

My next move is to do a clean-up at the first noted shooting area 1.8 miles in on the left (see pictures in posts above #115) and post a sign. I think that might set the stage for responsible use of other shooting areas and show that Calgunners were there.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 06-29-2012, 7:09 PM
bohoki's Avatar
bohoki bohoki is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 95492
Posts: 18,027
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
My opinion is a cleanup effort can take place at the Range but if it is to be comprehensive, BLM should be notified and a formal closure activated for safety reasons, especially since there is debris downrange.

A lot of very worthy cleanup can be done at the Range around the shooting benches and parking lot with rakes, shovels and garbage bags.


Dan


there is hours of work behind the firing line it will take a small pickup just to get the stuff that has been shot over the 50 yard berm

cleaning downrange is a lost cause
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 06-30-2012, 12:31 AM
BP707 BP707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

is anyone interested in going up on a Saturday or Sunday to shoot fora bit, clean up for a bit then shoot some more???
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 06-30-2012, 6:21 PM
clb clb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 66
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP707 View Post
is anyone interested in going up on a Saturday or Sunday to shoot fora bit, clean up for a bit then shoot some more???
Possibly next sat.
pulling p.m. on the crawler tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 06-30-2012, 7:02 PM
bergmen bergmen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ukiah, California
Posts: 311
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
Possibly next sat.
pulling p.m. on the crawler tomorrow.
I'm busy this weekend on the farm, next weekend exploring California and Oregon back roads on a sport-touring motorcycle.

After that is a possibility. I will be checking this thread on a daily basis.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 06-30-2012, 7:56 PM
Brassthief Brassthief is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I don't have a truck but would be willing to go shooting/cleaning with someone who does. Preferably with a group though as the place sounds a bit sketchy. I'm in Ukiah and available tomorrow (sunday) or next weekend as well. Send me a PM with contact info please if anyone with a pickup is going and I will help you fill it.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 07-01-2012, 8:35 PM
JBaus's Avatar
JBaus JBaus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 596
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Way to go people, I went up there for the first time a few months ago and we picked up all our stuff, but the river of spent shotty casings on the left side as you look up from the parking area was a crazy rainbow of casings. If an official clean-up is planned, please let us all know!
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 07-02-2012, 9:42 AM
Tmckinney Tmckinney is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 243
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Went hunting at Cow early this month--no pigs unfortunately. Could not belive what it looked like. Past the range are other "shooting areas" people have made and brass and trash everywhere. I live 9 hours away or I would be down to help. Good luck Guys
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 07-02-2012, 1:49 PM
zperk zperk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Would it be possible to get GPS coordinates/map/directions to the Lakeport side shooting area of Cow Mountain? I'll be in Lakeport for the weekend after Fourth of July, and I'd like to check it out.

I'll be sure to bring trash bags and pack out more than I bring in.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 07-02-2012, 9:29 PM
bohoki's Avatar
bohoki bohoki is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 95492
Posts: 18,027
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zperk View Post
Would it be possible to get GPS coordinates/map/directions to the Lakeport side shooting area of Cow Mountain? I'll be in Lakeport for the weekend after Fourth of July, and I'd like to check it out.

I'll be sure to bring trash bags and pack out more than I bring in.
there is no official shooting range that side its basically an ohv area so you will run into quads and dirt bikers and the occasional rock crawler

i used to go here

39,02,58,85n
122,59,06,96w


but basically any place you can shoot into a hillside that is safe is ok

there are camping spots all over so keep an eye out that side is generally not so much trashed by shooters but by party people

you need a vehicle that can handle medium rough terrain as you will be driving in a dry riverbed
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 07-02-2012, 9:31 PM
paul0660's Avatar
paul0660 paul0660 is offline
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ukiah
Posts: 15,706
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

To get the mountain cleaned up, the best use of your time is to call BLM at the numbers listed before.
__________________
*REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 07-03-2012, 9:41 AM
zperk zperk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thanks bohoki!
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 07-10-2012, 5:04 PM
clb clb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 66
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Stirring the pot
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 08-13-2012, 8:30 AM
Donnovin Donnovin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 351
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default North Cow Mtn Clean Up

Hello All,

As my efforts to develop a dialogue with Jeff Tunnell of the BLM have not gained any traction, at this point I am defaulting to the position of taking a few garbage bags up each time I go, and hauling out as much as I can carry home.

I would rather do a group clean-up as I think it's a great way to have a more significant impact, but, BLM does not return my calls. It seems that they are not so interested in expending the energy to partner with the general public in staging a clean up. It is possible that they are short staffed and have other more important things to deal with. Even so, returning a phone call is not that tough, even if it is to say 'thanks, but no thanks'.

I would be happy for anyone else to check in with Mr. Tunnell and carry this forward. It may be that someone else has a relationship with him and can get a meaningful dialogue going. His direct line is 707-468-4053. When I called the 707-468-4000 number, they forwarded me to him.

The one time I got Mr. Tunnell on the phone at the beginning of the year, he indicated that they have prisoners clean it once or twice a year. He also indicated that they could arrange for a dumpster to be delivered, but has not been able to confirm any date or range of dates for doing this.

For a larger group clean-up we need the BLM's approval and involvement as the range would have to be closed to keep it safe. If we gather as a group and close the range unilaterally, that could be a problem for those that show up unaware that the range is 'closed'.

Regarding rebuilding the bench tops, I sense that the way to get this done is to just do it, one or two benches at a time. Next time I go, I will get measurements to figure out a materials list. We can consider either a concrete or wood top.

As far as the signs go, that is a great idea if we can regularly keep it clean. Be careful though, as once the sign is there, CalGuns is associated with whatever condition the place is in. Also, BLM is doing bi-annual cleaning, so CalGuns can't take all the credit.

Last item, be safe up there. Over the past year, on two occasions, I have driven up and left without shooting due to unsafe shooters on the line. It isn't often, but there are times that folks show up and do not follow basic safety protocol; muzzle sweeps, loading while there are people downrange, guns on the benches pointed every which way, loaded weapons during cease fire, etc, etc.

with best regards,

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 AM
bergmen bergmen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ukiah, California
Posts: 311
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnovin View Post
Hello All,

As my efforts to develop a dialogue with Jeff Tunnell of the BLM have not gained any traction, at this point I am defaulting to the position of taking a few garbage bags up each time I go, and hauling out as much as I can carry home.

I would rather do a group clean-up as I think it's a great way to have a more significant impact, but, BLM does not return my calls. It seems that they are not so interested in expending the energy to partner with the general public in staging a clean up. It is possible that they are short staffed and have other more important things to deal with. Even so, returning a phone call is not that tough, even if it is to say 'thanks, but no thanks'.

I would be happy for anyone else to check in with Mr. Tunnell and carry this forward. It may be that someone else has a relationship with him and can get a meaningful dialogue going. His direct line is 707-468-4053. When I called the 707-468-4000 number, they forwarded me to him.

The one time I got Mr. Tunnell on the phone at the beginning of the year, he indicated that they have prisoners clean it once or twice a year. He also indicated that they could arrange for a dumpster to be delivered, but has not been able to confirm any date or range of dates for doing this.

For a larger group clean-up we need the BLM's approval and involvement as the range would have to be closed to keep it safe. If we gather as a group and close the range unilaterally, that could be a problem for those that show up unaware that the range is 'closed'.

Regarding rebuilding the bench tops, I sense that the way to get this done is to just do it, one or two benches at a time. Next time I go, I will get measurements to figure out a materials list. We can consider either a concrete or wood top.

As far as the signs go, that is a great idea if we can regularly keep it clean. Be careful though, as once the sign is there, CalGuns is associated with whatever condition the place is in. Also, BLM is doing bi-annual cleaning, so CalGuns can't take all the credit.

Last item, be safe up there. Over the past year, on two occasions, I have driven up and left without shooting due to unsafe shooters on the line. It isn't often, but there are times that folks show up and do not follow basic safety protocol; muzzle sweeps, loading while there are people downrange, guns on the benches pointed every which way, loaded weapons during cease fire, etc, etc.

with best regards,

Joe
Thanks for the update, Joe. I have the signs that were sent to me by Eat Dirt but I have not had any free time lately to go up there and begin my personal cleanup gig.

Thanks for the heads-up on the usage of the signs, I had not considered that. I think if I do use the signs it would be at the first shooting area (in my set of photos) just to get the general point across. I think based on your suggestion that I would go up a week or two later and remove it.

I'm also a bit concerned that some slob would shoot it up as a target (many signs at North Cow are shot up) and that would really defeat the whole purpose.

They had a pretty big fire up there a week or so ago, I haven't been there to see the damage yet. It has also been hotter than heck lately and that alone has kept me away.

If I do get up there soon, I'll report here.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 08-14-2012, 7:34 PM
beenawhile's Avatar
beenawhile beenawhile is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 1,045
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Im trying to get a small group if friends to go up(guys and girls) but the girls want know if there are bathrooms there? I figured this would be the place to ask. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 PM
bohoki's Avatar
bohoki bohoki is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 95492
Posts: 18,027
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenawhile View Post
Im trying to get a small group if friends to go up(guys and girls) but the girls want know if there are bathrooms there? I figured this would be the place to ask. Thanks
no toilets within a mile of the range i think there are some at the camp sites

let me know i'll bring a portapottie and hold up a beach towel for them

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 09-03-2012, 6:33 AM
clb clb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 66
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Stirrin the pot.
one guy and a trashbag once in a while will only hold off the debris.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 09-03-2012, 7:56 AM
bergmen bergmen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ukiah, California
Posts: 311
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

My son Steven and I went up to Cow last Sunday for a short session. It was not planned since we went to the Ukiah Gun Club to sight in a couple of rifles (one new, one just back from the 'smith after a complete makeover) and my son needed to test a few batches of reloads for his M2 Garand.

The idiots at UGC did not post on the web that the rifle range was closed for some special NRA training course so we left there and headed straight for Cow.

Since I had not planned to go there in the first place I had no rake/bags/shovels, etc. We shot at the Willow Creek area which is to the left of the rifle range. It was actually fairly clean but could have used a quick raking/bagging session. Next run I'll go prepared.

The fire a few weeks ago really tore up the canyon when you are climbing up into the place. It burned on both sides of the entry road before diverting to the south. It didn't hit the rifle range but since Steven and I never went past Willow Creek we didn't see what else was burned. I'm just glad we weren't there when the fire started since there is no way out up on top.

Dan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:42 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.