Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Default wife is 10 days out on her first gun.. she bought a block.. i mean glock

So proud of her. She has wanted to buy a pistol for some time but never found the right one. Every time she handled a glock in the store she hated it. I was bored, she was shopping so I told the guys to toss me the rental G-19 because I was bored and wanted to shoot something I hated. She shot their M&Ps (compact and full sized), CZs, SIgs. She honestly liked their feel better but on the range she struggled.

So I toss her the G-19 and go back to trying to master the Taurus. A few minutes later she taps me on the shoulder and says simply: This one. We went out and bought the gun right then and there. She hates the feel of the gun, but shoots it very well. She is chomping at the bit from the 10 day wait.

Wisdom says, try before you buy. The gun that feels the worst might shoot the best, and in the end shooting is more important than feel. Next step, her LTC, which is pretty easy to get here. Another armed Lady.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 08-08-2012, 1:49 PM

Congrats to your wife on her new pistol and bravo to you for assisting her in making her own choice/decision in this matter. My wife made the same choice in the Glock 19 which I think, in my humble opinion, is probably one of the best choices for the ladies out there looking to get a handgun. Its not too bad for those of us of the male gender as well.
Old 08-08-2012, 3:49 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

congrats to your wife! yep, handling a pistol is not the same thing as shooting a pistol.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-08-2012, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Perfect! Since Glocks require no cleaning (actually voids the warranty, I believe) she can be doing the dishes while you're stripping and cleaning your guns. Excellent!
Old 08-08-2012, 5:45 PM

glock 19 was my first handgun too. good choice
Old 08-08-2012, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
Perfect! Since Glocks require no cleaning (actually voids the warranty, I believe) she can be doing the dishes while you're stripping and cleaning your guns. Excellent!
Or she can just throw it in the dishwasher along with the other utinsels.
Old 08-08-2012, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Too bad we don't have a dish washer
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 08-08-2012, 6:10 PM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Too bad we don't have a dish washer
WAIT!!!! YOU have a WIFE!??!?!

She must be a saint!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
I was bored, she was shopping so I told the guys to toss me the rental G-19 because I was bored and wanted to shoot something I hated. ..So I toss her the G-19 and go back to trying to master the Taurus. A few minutes later she taps me on the shoulder and says simply: This one. We went out and bought the gun right then and there. She hates the feel of the gun, but shoots it very well. She is chomping at the bit from the 10 day wait.

Wisdom says, try before you buy. The gun that feels the worst might shoot the best, and in the end shooting is more important than feel. Next step, her LTC, which is pretty easy to get here. Another armed Lady.
You hate Glocks but like Taurus's.
Old 08-08-2012, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
WAIT!!!! YOU have a WIFE!??!?!

She must be a saint!!!

lol
Old 08-08-2012, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
You hate Glocks but like Taurus's.
Yeah, GLOCKS SUCK DUDE, did you get the memo?
Old 08-10-2012, 8:26 AM

Congrats to your wife. That last day takes fooorrrreeevvvvveeerrrrrrrr.....
Old 08-10-2012, 2:28 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

have you made a range date yet?

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-10-2012, 6:24 PM
Calguns Addict

yup, day after pickup we will head out to the range and I will have my crony in by then as well and a ton of new 7.62x25 loads to test + plenty of ammo for the Mauser. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 PM

I'm not surprised she loves that gun - when I shot a G19 it was the gun I had to have. I'm new (only been shooting since April, and not often either) but I shock myself at what I can hit with that little gun. I also have a G26, but in no way can I make it as accurate as my G19. Practice, I guess.
Old 08-13-2012, 8:05 AM

Glocks are just a little too big for my hand. I have to compensate my wrist angle to get the aim right.

I'm thinking about a S&W 22a target pistol for my next gun. It's cheap to shoot, accurate and fun.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

wife brought it home before dinner. I noted that this feels very different from the well used glocks I am accustomed to. Mostly.. it feels.. heavier. Extractor is different and excepting the interchangeable backstraps makes me think of a Gen 4. Interesting. Well next part break it in and such.
Old 08-18-2012, 7:12 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

off to the range today and/or tomorrow?

Gun Control:
Old 08-18-2012, 7:25 AM
Calguns Addict

we were going to do it yesterday but I was dead dog worn out from work. So today or tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2012, 8:42 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

have fun! and please let us know how it goes.

Gun Control:
Old 08-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Wife had some fun with it today, put 160 rounds through it and I had her use the chrono. The Glock was pretty consistent at about 1017 FPS. Not bad. Its new, its stiff, and needs to be broken in, but it is a glock and she loves it. Oddly enough.. I don't! I want the beat-up used and abused range rental G19 that carves out 1.5" groups at rapid fire. *shrug*. It really is her gun.
Old 08-19-2012, 7:49 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

mrs meaty-btz did well: found a gun that she loves and she doesn't have to share!

sounds like a fun time was had by all.

Gun Control:
Old 08-21-2012, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
mrs meaty-btz did well: found a gun that she loves and she doesn't have to share!

sounds like a fun time was had by all.
This is indeed true. Means a great deal to her. The oddity that is ownership and how important it is. It has also been a very trying two years for us. I used an extra paycheck from work to buy her the gun. She had not felt justified in buying, or asking to buy, anything of expense for herself since things have been so tight financially and she has been out of work. I told her, I am buying you this to remind you how valuable you are and that you are worth more than anything else. Gave her the cash and she did all the paper work, got her HSC, everything. A real moral boost in a rough patch.

She said," I have a gun now, it is mine. I can determine my own destiny." It is a symbol for her. I hope she can hold on to that ideal, while she watches me crumble under the strain of keeping us both going. Even rock mountains are worn down with time and the weather has been hard at eroding me.

She is a special lady, but is not the forum type, so I speak on her behalf to the ladies.
Old 08-21-2012, 7:05 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

i completely understand, meaty. it sounds like you both have been under a "load" and this has been very positive for her. i think what you did with that extra check was a sound investment in your relationship and her mental wellbeing.

i hope you tell her what we have to say and how supportive we are of her having found her own gun.

i know you are survivor from having had some "dialog" with you in other threads. i know you already know this but remember to take care of yourself as well. erosion can lead to lovely sandy beaches and fertile valley soil. those worn down mountains are merely going through a phase and moving into another era of existence. as with Nature, so with humans. i have faith in you and i know you have Faith.

Gun Control:
Old 08-28-2012, 7:20 AM

I am not meaty's wife but the scenario was the same for me. Went to a "family day" at a range and shot a bunch of pistols. I fell in love with the Glock. Tapped my husband on the shoulder and told him I wanted it. The credit card came out so fast I didnt even see his hand move.
Old 08-29-2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
Wrong.

Glocks can go a long time between cleanings but you do have to clean the upper (slide) from time to time. They don't need much lube either. They just go and go no matter how you abuse them. Get them wet, drop them in the dirt, practically drop them on concrete, they don't care.

What you shouldn't do with a Glock is mess around with the lower (trigger and grip assembly). Glock recommends you take it to a gunsmith for troubles. Not sure about the warranty but I have read the manual about ten times.

You should not oil the mag either. You can take it apart and clean it, maybe after each trip to the range, but no oil on the spring.

Yaayyy for Mrs. Meaty ! Tell her the Calguns Women are proud of her !
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 08-29-2012 at 7:04 PM..
Old 08-29-2012, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Actually she cleaned the glock recently. Wanted to "get to know the gun" and what better way. She read the manual and did it herself. I stand, a proud husband.
Old 08-29-2012, 8:30 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

yep, you should be very proud. she was right to get to know the gun.......

Gun Control:
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
yep, you should be very proud. she was right to get to know the gun.......
She is like that though. I recall getting her an engine for her car from Pick-n-Pull, a 360 AMC small block V8. We were going to rebuild it, but it was "her" engine. I came home one day to find her with the manual and my tools successfully tearing down the engine in preparation for it being sent to the machine shop.

She didn't even break a bolt.. probably because when she found one she was more likely to go get some penetrating oil and work it that way rather than me being Ug the Ogre and just applying more muscle till the bold breaks!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

she certainly is a curious one! that's a good thing....i admit to having no desire to tear apart an engine....and its my loss, i know.

yep, brute force doesn't win the day for most women....tools and using them!

Gun Control:
Old 08-30-2012, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Aww she is just mechanically inclined and strong willed. We still have our (likely last our lives) matching welding scars from one night, many years ago before a race where she helped me do some last minute exhaust repair with a 2.5 ton car up precariously on jack-stands. Takes a lot of bravery (or stupidity) to go under a car teeter tottering on stands set way to high. I've seen more than one car come down in my life. Had a super hero moment with one of them.

She may be tough but she is all woman and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Seeing all the "issue" threads in here kind of makes me sad, thank you to the ladies here for allowing me to peaceably post on my wife's behalf.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 PM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Wrong.

Glocks can go a long time between cleanings but you do have to clean the upper (slide) from time to time. They don't need much lube either. They just go and go no matter how you abuse them. Get them wet, drop them in the dirt, practically drop them on concrete, they don't care.

What you shouldn't do with a Glock is mess around with the lower (trigger and grip assembly). Glock recommends you take it to a gunsmith for troubles. Not sure about the warranty but I have read the manual about ten times.

You should not oil the mag either. You can take it apart and clean it, maybe after each trip to the range, but no oil on the spring.

Yaayyy for Mrs. Meaty ! Tell her the Calguns Women are proud of her !
Clean Glocks? Really? You're supposed to do that?

My G17 has been running as-is since 1994. I recently cleaned it for the very first time and there wasn't much to clean, even after thousands of rounds.

There's nothing to taking the frame or slide apart. The slide lock is held in by one or two pins, another for the trigger. I took my new G26 and G30 apart and polished the trigger bar, connector, firing pin safety and firing pin to smooth up the trigger action. Takes about 10 minutes to take it apart, polish it and put it back together.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 09-02-2012, 4:04 PM

Right, the slide is no biggie, it's about three parts. The manual does not encourage us to take the firing mechanism (the back end of the slide) apart, any more than the lower trigger system.

Apparently, they want us to clean the easy and dirty parts ourselves and take it to a gunsmith for maybe annual cleaning and inspection, just like a Rolex watch.

That's ok with me. I don't have the time or intellectual curiosity this year. Maybe next year, when it gets actually dirty....
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.