Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-24-2012, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DoorImpala View Post
I just need them for Appleseed.
Tell me about it. I'm placing an order tomorrow morning. In fact, I'm getting them for the 795 and the SKS.

Anathema for the purist collectors but I'm a pure shooter. I will give em a shot. I know husband and wife teams that shoot very well with the SKS / Tech Sights past 200 yds without any specialized training. I expect to confirm that.

RBA

ps. Per used sights for the 795: I can't imagine anyone parting with them for less than what they paid. But, anything's possible.

Last edited by The Right to Bear Arms; 07-24-2012 at 9:51 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

So why Tech Sights over a scope?
PS- There is a new set of Tech Sights for a 10/22 on eBay for $44 plus $5 shipping, at present. You can find them a bit cheaper after all. Just have to find the right ones from the right seller.

Last edited by roushstage2; 07-25-2012 at 12:30 AM..
Old 07-25-2012, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
PS- There is a new set of Tech Sights for a 10/22 on eBay for $44 plus $5 shipping, at present. You can find them a bit cheaper after all. Just have to find the right ones from the right seller.
Hello Roushstage2,

From what I've read here, scopes aren't allowed at Appleseed as they are building up shooters from square one.

Post Appleseed: I say the Marlin owner has to decide which tools work best for any given situation. Further, I've also read here that an owner would be better served having 2 rifles. One with tech sights and one with a scope.

Finally, I will personally address your question. I'm using the tech sights with the 795 to build my proficiency as a shooter. The old fashioned way. With Garand style sights. That's the mission of my 795.

I plan on seeing my skill segway over into the bigger calibers, naturally.

Now, if an owner has his 795 or 10/22 tacted out with a red dot or scope, it would suggest a CQB situation. i.e. Zombie Apocalypse. ( humor ).

It all boils down to the shooter, the platform, and what mission he has in mind. Thanks for the ebay tip.

RBA
Old 07-25-2012, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Main use is Appleseed then (i.e- learning how to shoot with [good] irons)? I don't know if I'd personally say a scope would be CQB, but a red dot, yeah. I'm curious as I'm 50/50 on ordering Tech Sights for my Marlin 60. I have a scope on there because I had one lying around, but wouldn't mind having an irons-rifle. My XT-22, 795, 60 and 10/22 all have scopes. I can shoot with irons, but figured I'd be better served with a scope.
Old 07-25-2012, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right to Bear Arms View Post
From what I've read here, scopes aren't allowed at Appleseed as they are building up shooters from square one.
This is incorrect. Appleseed will let you shoot what you brought and I have done two Appleseeds with a scope.

That being said, iron sights, tech sights in particular, are highly recommended by many.

Old 07-25-2012, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

You can use a scope at Appleseed. Only thing you can't use is a bipod or use your magazine as a monopod. Many people especially ones with aging eyes find it necessary to use a scope to get rifleman...
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 07-25-2012, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Huh, weird! At least you got it figured out though!
Yeah, I'm very... by it all.

Quote:
I'd say that good use and skill built from using the lowest common denominator on a platform is the best, in my eyes, as that's what you revert to when all else fails. Is a rimfire scope going to get beaten up and lose zero from recoil? Highly doubtful. Can it be dropped and damaged and irreparable when there is no way to get it fixed (Thinking SHTF/hunting here)? Yes. Being able to revert to the basest form of the platform and being skilled at it is not a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right to Bear Arms View Post
Tell me about it. I'm placing an order tomorrow morning. In fact, I'm getting them for the 795 and the SKS.

Anathema for the purist collectors but I'm a pure shooter. I will give em a shot. I know husband and wife teams that shoot very well with the SKS / Tech Sights past 200 yds without any specialized training. I expect to confirm that.

RBA

ps. Per used sights for the 795: I can't imagine anyone parting with them for less than what they paid. But, anything's possible.
Purists? Meh, last time I checked it was my firearm and not theirs. If it is something rare/valuable and has a great historical value, then yes, leave it be. Otherwise, have at it. Honestly, Tech Sights seem to be the least horrifying modification that can be done to a rifle anyways.
REDACTED
Old 07-25-2012, 8:34 PM

Good Evening to All,

Thanks to Khanan, Chaos 47, and DB for the clarification on several points. DB, well worded point on being able to run a platform at it's most base functionality.

Roushstage 2: I say go for the tech sights on the Marlin 60. By all means, follow through on what you think will serve you best.

RBA
Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

I'll do the Tech Sights in the future. I was going to put them on there right after I got the rifle, but I had a scope lying around, so it saved me $60 something.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Well I know I can hit the targets with a scope and just a sling easy. Now irons that's where my hands start to move and shake, thus why I want to get used to irons
Old 07-26-2012, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Well I know I can hit the targets with a scope and just a sling easy. Now irons that's where my hands start to move and shake, thus why I want to get used to irons
Bummer... Sounds like you'll need to go to the range more and practice. I feel for you, I really do.
REDACTED
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you've made a judicious assessment of your tactical needs, 2DoorImpala. I like that.

Personally, I want to naturally put ordinance on target(s) using either irons or a scope.

RBA

ps. Does anyone else have multiple rimfire rifles besides Roushstage2?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 AM

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet but Amazon has mags at under $18 shipped. More than CDNN but still cheaper than Big 5 and Turners.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member

I found a few hidden at Sportsmans Warehouse for around $14.
Old 08-01-2012, 5:42 PM

" . . . but still cheaper than Big 5 and Turners."

Turner's price is $14.98. Since they're local, and sometimes even helpful, I bought three magazines there.
Old 08-06-2012, 8:20 AM

Quote:
APPLESEED! Get to one quick!
Old 08-08-2012, 4:39 PM

I have a quick question , can you shoot cci stingers out of a 795? Or is it not recommended?
Old 08-08-2012, 6:06 PM

Not recommended. It's got a long enough barrel to get good velocity out of standard ammo anyway.
Old 08-08-2012, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40SWGlock View Post
I have a quick question , can you shoot cci stingers out of a 795? Or is it not recommended?
You are not supposed to shoot any hyper ammo out of a 795...
If you do make sure to inspect your buffer and make sure its not getting bites taken out or cracked.

I am not advocating shooting it though personally I just shoot standard and high velocity...
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 08-08-2012, 9:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I have some stingers that I don't know what to do with.
I have a 10/22 takedown and SR22P also that I think I can't shoot out of either.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40SWGlock View Post
Thanks for the info. I have some stingers that I don't know what to do with.
I have a 10/22 takedown and SR22P also that I think I can't shoot out of either.
40 Smith & Wesson Glock,

Dude, just borrow a good 22LR wheel gun and shoot up the CCI Stingers. Or hold on to them. You can sell / trade them when the opportunity comes up.

The Stingers are fun to shoot ! I actually brought up this same issue a couple of months ago. I would like a little more caliber versatility when it comes to ultra popular rifle but the performance with the CCI 22 LR is outstanding and the platform delivers on the mission I have set for it.

Last edited by The Right to Bear Arms; 08-10-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Old 08-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Not my auction!
But people are always asking for used / cheaper tech sights so I thought I would post it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECH-SIGHTS-...#ht_500wt_1288

Old 08-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Not my auction!
But people are always asking for used / cheaper tech sights so I thought I would post it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECH-SIGHTS-...#ht_500wt_1288
Thanks Chaos.

Got a 795 in jail and will be keeping a close eye on this auction. =)
Old 08-11-2012, 2:39 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If your going to bid Ill stay out of it. Ping me if you arent. Only bid at the last minute for best price.
Old 08-11-2012, 3:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not bidding just fyi. I love my scope

Old 08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Hey everyone I made a new thread that has a lot more info on the front page about our beloved Marlin 795 so check out the Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce

Old 08-12-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone I made a new thread that has a lot more info on the front page about our beloved Marlin 795 so check out the Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Nice!! thank you, as well; I know when trying to compile my mods/review post (the ungodly long one with pictures and links), I went through 4 pages to get the links I needed for that post. It's nice, concise, and comprehensive.
REDACTED
Old 08-12-2012, 11:42 PM

Wait a minute fellas I bought the 795 for my 7 yro on his birthday. I have had nothing but trouble it. 1 it won't eject. 2 it double feeds. 3 it feeds and jams the next round in the chamber. Big piece of sh@t.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie0331 View Post
Wait a minute fellas I bought the 795 for my 7 yro on his birthday. I have had nothing but trouble it. 1 it won't eject. 2 it double feeds. 3 it feeds and jams the next round in the chamber. Big piece of sh@t.
What ammo? Tried any other ammo brands?
Did you clean it before you shot it?
If you have cleaned it, did you wipe it down till it was practically dry?
Is your ejector properly aligned? http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ri...-position.html
Have you tried different magazines?

Odd first post.. Welcome to Calguns? BTW this is a family friendly site and bypassing the language filter is against the rules...

Old 08-13-2012, 7:31 AM
.22LR Riffle
CGN Contributor

im finishing up my SCAR Marlin 795 conversion.

man i hate those e-clips. lost 3 of them. now i have to find them at the hardware store
Old 08-13-2012, 1:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Supposedly the smaller e-clip size is 3/32

Old 08-13-2012, 3:14 PM
.22LR Riffle
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Supposedly the smaller e-clip size is 3/32
yea i read your part deuce thread and will be buying the 3/32 e-clips.

i cut off my trigger and trigger guard and JB welded an extended trigger for my SCAR. hopefully i can fix the action tonight so you can see the updates on my SCAR conversion
Old 08-23-2012, 7:42 PM
.22LR Riffle
CGN Contributor

Marlin 795 in a ACR

Paid $70 shipped for this broken airsoft gun

Just finished gutting and bolting it in. Took me 1.5 hours so far.
I should be done with this in a week.

Upper receiver is metal
Lower receiver and stock are plastic

Things to do.
Purchased the missing handguard with rails
Drill hole for safety button
Extended lever for mag and bolt release
Add a gutted PMAG and JB Weld the 795 magazine to it
Repaint flat black
Add AFG

_MG_3495 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_3494 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_3493 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_3492 by defconskylude, on Flickr
Old 08-27-2012, 9:44 PM
.22LR Riffle
CGN Contributor

Tada. My .22LR ACR. lol

Still need to drill out a hole to create an extension for the safety and mag/bolt release

Then its off to the range!

_MG_3636 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_3634 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_3632 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_3630 by defconskylude, on Flickr
Old 08-28-2012, 7:02 PM

That came out awesome! Be sure to give us a range report, well done!
Old 09-08-2012, 2:40 PM

Side question, i cant view any pics from imageshack because a frog in an icecube says the Calguns domain is unregistered. Can all of you view images in this and other threads?
Old 09-08-2012, 2:57 PM

Most of the pics in the last few pages I checked are on photobucket or flicker, not sure why you're getting imageshack errors.
Old 09-08-2012, 3:11 PM

I can see any non-imageshack image just fine, but never since i join Calguns can i see an imageshack image, only a frog in an icecube where the pic is supposed to be. And this by the way is on various PCs and operating systems.
Old 09-08-2012, 3:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's because imageshack disabled hotlinking unless the owner of the website(calguns.net) registers the website(calguns.net) with imageshack. This is a recent(well, a long time, but it was done after this thread started) change imageshack has made. Hence imageshack sucks and people are using other hosts now.

Last edited by Merc1138; 09-08-2012 at 3:16 PM..
Old 09-08-2012, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Imgur.com

Awesome uploading site