Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Default Suggestion: This tutorial stickied in the Marketplace forums

I just saw this post on Reddit:

How To Haggle, by SALLstice

Go read it, it's really good and will help you at flea markets regardless.

I often see people in the Marketplace add angry stuff like "NO GODDAMN LOWBALLERS, BLARG!" to their "For Sale" posts. So, I propose that a link to this Reddit post be stickied in all the Marketplace forums, so that more people will know how to bargain properly instead of simply offering one third of the asked price for no stated reason (which really is annoying).

This might be a terrible idea, which is why I'm posting it here to be discussed. I think it's a good idea personally.
Old 08-22-2012, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

Bumping this so people see it.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

"How to haggle"?....

I won't even read it.

I price my items very fair for buyer and for quick sell for me...

I hate the word haggle... I akin it to "can I rip you off?"... my tattoo once explained how all the artists in the shop bet on the walk-ins... they bet whether or not they will try to haggle the price given... He says almost 100% of the time they can spot the "lookie-loo" that asks for a price then tries to negotiate it lower... it's a true slap in the face and results in denial. His point is, why would you think I am giving you a price higher than reasonable? I am the same way with selling items...

I get it - that this "market-place" is not the same... but I treat it similar... if some dumb-@ss is asking way too much, I skip the thread... and I always sell at a price that is fair (for me and buyer) - it always works well for both of us.

Haggling and negotiating means someone is trying to burn the other. Set a gawd damn price that is fair and sell/buy the phucking thing.

-----------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCloud9 View Post
We're screwed. The left was fooled by Obama and the right is being fooled by Trump.
1/20/17...

My VOTE Still Made A Difference - Did yours?
... You're Welcome
Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
"How to haggle"?....

I won't even read it.

I price my items very fair for buyer and for quick sell for me...

I hate the word haggle... I akin it to "can I rip you off?"... my tattoo once explained how all the artists in the shop bet on the walk-ins... they bet whether or not they will try to haggle the price given... He says almost 100% of the time they can spot the "lookie-loo" that asks for a price then tries to negotiate it lower... it's a true slap in the face and results in denial. His point is, why would you think I am giving you a price higher than reasonable? I am the same way with selling items...

I get it - that this "market-place" is not the same... but I treat it similar... if some dumb-@ss is asking way too much, I skip the thread... and I always sell at a price that is fair (for me and buyer) - it always works well for both of us.

Haggling and negotiating means someone is trying to burn the other. Set a gawd damn price that is fair and sell/buy the phucking thing.
Trying, and successfully being able to bargain is a fairly good skill to have. Know quite a few people that have gotten things such as vehicles and other big ticket items below MSRP as a result.

That said, I'm not buying something used for way above MSRP. You post it higher than that that isn't an antique or coming with accessories, you can bet your holster I'm going to start at MSRP. You want to be firm about it, I'll go elsewhere. If it's around a grand new, and you're asking a few hundred on top of that, you won't be getting your price out of me.

I've seen your attitude around before and defeated it. I *will* admit however, that I *really* hate idiots that see something priced at say, a grand and offer 200 for it. Seriously?
Old 08-26-2012, 1:41 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiri View Post
Trying, and successfully being able to bargain is a fairly good skill to have. Know quite a few people that have gotten things such as vehicles and other big ticket items below MSRP as a result.

That said, I'm not buying something used for way above MSRP. You post it higher than that that isn't an antique or coming with accessories, you can bet your holster I'm going to start at MSRP. You want to be firm about it, I'll go elsewhere. If it's around a grand new, and you're asking a few hundred on top of that, you won't be getting your price out of me.

I've seen your attitude around before and defeated it. I *will* admit however, that I *really* hate idiots that see something priced at say, a grand and offer 200 for it. Seriously?
I presume you are referencing "this type of attitude"... because if you meant "mine" (as in you've dealt with me), I don't recall dealing with you (certainly not haggling, I dont bother) - and you've never "defeated" me in anything.

Quote:
We're screwed. The left was fooled by Obama and the right is being fooled by Trump.
1/20/17...

... You're Welcome
Old 08-26-2012, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiri View Post
I *will* admit however, that I *really* hate idiots that see something priced at say, a grand and offer 200 for it. Seriously?
Those idiots are exactly the people I hope will read this Reddit post.
Old 08-26-2012, 6:56 PM
Made in the USA

^^^ I could see someone doing that as a "notice" that the price is unrealistic...

IOW, if a 500 gun is priced at 700... maybe someone would offer 300 as a notice to put the seller in check (if a guy is asking too much, whats wrong with offering too little?).

bottom line is - price it reasonable and it will sell... no need to spend waste time BSing about price... haggling is for Tijuana

Quote:
1/20/17...

... You're Welcome