Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 08-02-2012, 5:37 PM

Default Went to go pick up my 590a1...Got a Benelli instead

I've always had a deep crush on Benelli shotguns. I sold my Mossberg 500 and was dead-set on the 590a1 which fixed the few flaws I had with the 500.

Well... Went to go pick it up today and... Saw the next week's sale... Paid to cancel my DROS and re-DROS'ed one of these instead.

$499.99 ($100 off!) for the Benelli Supernova Desert and my Mossberg 590a1 was $519...

Some people say the desert coating can chip if you bang it around... Well I don't bang my guns around and I love colored guns. (Everything else I have is stainless and black sadly - until now)

Every Benelli I've held feels so much better on my shoulder than Remingtons and Mossbergs too. Sight picture is quicker and more natural as well. I'm really excited. Nordic tube can wait till my birthday for now...

What else do I need to make it 922r compliant or whatever?
Old 08-02-2012, 5:52 PM

I think you are good to go with the supernova are you not? No modifications needed to make it legal.

Anyways nice shotgun! Been looking for a new HD shotgun and the supernova tactical was on my short list.
Old 08-02-2012, 6:15 PM

I meant once I added a Nordic magazine tube extension. It can wait though the gun is near perfect as is.
Old 08-02-2012, 6:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fherot View Post
I meant once I added a Nordic magazine tube extension. It can wait though the gun is near perfect as is.
Nordic tubes are mad sexy

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 PM

So I'm reading 922(r) and it says it's illegal to make a a shotgun (for my case) with IMPORTED parts that resembles a shotgun that is illegal to import. (Can't import shotguns with over 5 rounds)

So then using 3x US made parts like Nordic Components I can legally add the +2 Nordic Magazine tube extension so that it's clear... I think?

What are 3 components I can switch out after I install the Nordic Components +2 tube?

Magazine Spring - Check
Magazine Follower - Check
Third item - ?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 PM

I got a benelli supernova on backorder, right now. I ask the question of 922LR compliance a few month back, but no one gave an answer. There is not much after market parts, for the supernova. All I could fine was the urbino pistol grip stock, but I plan on keeping the comfortech stock when I get mine. If some of the supernova internal parts were interchangeable with the M4, you can find hammer or trigger made in the US meant for the M4. I don't know if they are interchangeable or not.
Old 08-03-2012, 6:21 AM

Quote:
M590a1 has a bayonet lug, it's 10x more Tacti-Fool than the Benelli.

I also heard that Benelli's make fighting shotguns.

Anyway, it was cheaper, looks way cooler to me, feels better. Bought it.

922(r) pisses me off though. May just leave it 5+1. Not like I'll be doing 3-Gun with it or anything.
lets see, you don't "bang your guns around" and it won't be used for " 3gun or anything" so why did you buy it ? oh yeah, cool looking.

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/
Old 08-03-2012, 7:21 AM

bang around = throw my shotguns on the rocky ground or let the contents of my safe bonk and scuff eachother.

3-gun with a bullet button 10-round AR? No thanks and don't plan on a .30 caliber cash machine rifle.

I live out in the desert and I have a blast with my
firearms on BLM land destroying fruit, steel plates, and paper targets.

I picked the desert camou because it was pretty. First I picked the Supernova because it is a rock solid modern design with a much simpler internal parts design than 870's or 500's.

Fit and finish are beyond any Remington of the same price and any Mossberg. All Benellis feel way better on my shoulder than comparable US shotguns.

But again, it sure is pretty.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Why did you have to reDROS? You were still within the 30 day DROS of thefirst DROS.
Old 08-03-2012, 4:26 PM

Quote:
bang around = throw my shotguns on the rocky ground or let the contents of my safe bonk and scuff eachother.

3-gun with a bullet button 10-round AR? No thanks and don't plan on a .30 caliber cash machine rifle.

I live out in the desert and I have a blast with my
firearms on BLM land destroying fruit, steel plates, and paper targets.

I picked the desert camou because it was pretty. First I picked the Supernova because it is a rock solid modern design with a much simpler internal parts design than 870's or 500's.

Fit and finish are beyond any Remington of the same price and any Mossberg. All Benellis feel way better on my shoulder than comparable US shotguns.

But again, it sure is pretty.
go featureless on your AR, then bust out those preban mags and hit the nearest 3gun event

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/
Old 08-03-2012, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

But how will you attach your bayonet now? Why you do this?!
Old 08-03-2012, 5:16 PM

Actually the bayonet was too silly to NOT be cool on the 590a1. a shotgun isn't complete without one but mines painted funny so it'll have to do.

I'd never talk someone out of a 590a1.
Old 08-03-2012, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

Nice~! Congrats! Benelli's are great shotguns!

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 08-03-2012, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
go featureless on your AR, then bust out those preban mags and hit the nearest 3gun event
I don't have an AR
Old 08-03-2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comblock View Post
Why did you have to reDROS? You were still within the 30 day DROS of thefirst DROS.
My 10 days of the first DROS were up and I was there to pickup the 590a1. So I had to cancel it (the sale of the Mossberg) in order to instead DROS the Benelli. I think its because I cancelled the whole transaction instead of just adding a firearm to my DROS.

It wasn't an easy choice I really love the Mossberg 500 and the 590a1 has everything on it that I -didn't- like about the 500.

I was just sold when I saw the ever elusive desert camo Benelli right there on page 1 of the flyer.

I'll probably just keep it 4+1 I don't know what else to replace besides the follower for 922(r) bs. If Mesa Tactical comes out with a Coyote tan Urbino for the Supernova like they have for the M4 and you don't have to loosen the stock to remove the trigger assembly then it'd be worth the price.

Last edited by Fherot; 08-03-2012 at 6:22 PM..
Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 PM

Congrats on an awesome gun. I have the same one in black with rifle sights. It busts clays, shoots slugs and handles really well. It's definitely my favorite shotgun.

As for the haters like AIPPI(who has a vested interest in selling and modding remingtons), eff 'em. The Benelli is more ergonomic out of the box than the mossberg or remington, it cycles smooth as butter and has better control locations for a right hander. Of course, this is only my opinion. Congrats
Old 08-04-2012, 9:56 AM

Thanks, it would have been more practical to get the black one but I always wanted some kind of desert tan / ode / sig scorpion looking gun. Plus it was actually less!

I don't know why anyone would scoff at someone's firearm purchase. Even if someone's excited to get their first Hi-Point, it's always a good thing right?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure if freedomfightertactical.com has parts for the Supernova but you can check them out and see.
Old 08-04-2012, 1:35 PM

Mesa tactical makes a fde urbino stock for the m4 but don't know about the nova. Check out freedomfightertactical.com . They specialize in 922r compliance parts for the benelli.
Old 08-04-2012, 1:59 PM

I emailed Mesa Tactical about a FDE Urbino for the Supernova, hopefully it's on their horizon. Not in a mad hurry to mod the Nova but if I do eventually get Nordic I wouldn't mind an Urbino in FDE to be one of the two 922(r) parts.

I'll contact/check out Freedom as well- I believe they make the FDE forend for Mesa Tactical's M4 stock combo.
Old 08-04-2012, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

To the OP - Nice gun, good purchase! Go shoot the hell out of it! BTW, it LOOKS COOL!!!

It really bugs me you have to jump through hoops to put a mag extension on it. I hope you find your 3 parts. I guess that's one feature where the Mossberg is better. Stupid rules.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by Kestryll; 08-13-2012 at 12:04 AM..
Old 08-04-2012, 9:11 PM

Thanks! Hell will indeed be fired out of it.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 PM

Great shotgun, awesome paint scheme! Apparently a shotgun can't be taken seriously unless it's black? shoot it with pride!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 5:15 PM

Can't you permanently attach a US made muzzle break or something to make to add 1 part 922R comlpiant
Old 08-12-2012, 10:34 AM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

To the OP, have you ever met the 922r police? I haven't. If you do, let me know.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My 10 days of the first DROS were up and I was there to pickup the 590a1. So I had to cancel it (the sale of the Mossberg) in order to instead DROS the Benelli. I think its because I cancelled the whole transaction instead of just adding a firearm to my DROS..
AFAIK, the FFL should have been able to line out the Mossberg and add the Benelli to the 4473 before the 4473 was completed on pickup. No new DROS should have been required.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-12-2012, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
To the OP, have you ever met the 922r police? I haven't. If you do, let me know.
I spent so much time reading everything about 922r and the related crap that I learned it was a waste of time even thinking about it.

As for the DROS I'm not sure what Turner's policy is but I didnt feel like arguing with them and was just happy the exact Benelli I had a secret crush on was on sale the next day and they'd give me that price.

Heading out right now for the hour drive to pick it up.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 AM

Nice shotgun OP i love the camo! my 12 gauge is camoed too but its mossy oak duck blind.

AIPPI: please stop being so rude about other peoples purchases, im tired of reading your snippy unhelpful comments that do nothing to further the topic. Im at the point of flagging your messages because this is a constant thing for you. for being a buissness owner you really are not that good with customer service and your public image. in this case i will speak with my wallet and not buy from AIP