Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-26-2012, 8:15 PM
Banned

Default 10rd Magazines, Law of the Land.

Folks,

How would you feel if 10 round magazines became the rule? For everyone in the US, good thing? Bad thing?. I enjoy my AR15 NM/A2 rifles with 10rd magazines. Is the "standard capacity magazine" protected by the 2A ?. The shooting has cause me to pause and think, does anyone really need a 100rd Beta C magazine?.
I understand the reasons that people might offer to say they "need" them. I wholly and absolutely DO NOT want the AR/AK platforms to be banned, removed or otherwise taken away from the Citizens, but does anyone need that kind of firepower for recreational, or sport shooting?. All replies are welcome, I can dish it, I can take, flame suit is on. A2
Old 07-26-2012, 8:20 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Not one inch!
Old 07-26-2012, 8:21 PM

I personally could care less if all I was able to purchase were 10 rounders. It would save me a fortune in ammo when I plink. In saying that, I disagree with a general ban on magazines above 10 rounds.
Old 07-26-2012, 8:21 PM

if you want to ban 30 rnd mags you should ban all guns. why can person a's opinion overrule person b's opinion in any way for a right they both deem desirable? IMO shall not be infringed interprets to no restriction, no prior restriant. and ive yet to come by a study regarding mag capacity and violent crime rates
Old 07-26-2012, 8:22 PM

I seriously don't see a legitimate reason for owning a 100rd drum. In my opinion, it's purely for recreational purposes. I don't own any and I don't think I ever will. It just brings unwanted attention. I think 30rd is more than enough. But, we the people should have the option. I can't speak for everyone. I will be truly sad when what you speak of happens. I would like to preserve our 2A rights as much as possible, not give them up.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Old 07-26-2012, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

I think that USMCM16A2's account has been hacked.
Old 07-26-2012, 8:24 PM

I responded to someone in another thread about this same issue. I don't think anyone on the streets today 'Needs" a 100 round magazine. But who am I to tell anyone? Who is our government to be making this decision? Do you think we 'need' 50 round magazines? What about 30 round magazines? It seems like you feel no.

How do you reach the decision that 10 rounds is ideal? Wouldn't 5 round magazines be just as good? I think it is arbitrary, and to take our rights away arbitrarily is scary.
Old 07-26-2012, 8:26 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I don't like yellow cars, they need to be banned!

Ruger 10/22 TD Field Strip Thumb Screw Knobs... Are HERE!

Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!
Old 07-26-2012, 8:27 PM

So who determines "need"???

You? (OP) The Government? A talk show host?

People keep getting sucked into this "need" crap, that the leftists dish out...

When they ban it to 10 rounds, then it will go to, "why do you need 10... what's wrong with 5"?

Don't people get the fact that liberals will keep going until they ban
slingshots and rocks???

They don't care about hunting either... It will then turn into, "you don't need an 8mm Mauser to hunt deer with..."

Who decides when it stops???

Last edited by Albino; 07-26-2012 at 8:30 PM..
Old 07-26-2012, 8:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
Not one inch!

That has to be our focus. Give up this and it will be something else.
Old 07-26-2012, 8:28 PM

Default totally pointless

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCM16A2 View Post
Folks,

How would you feel if 10 round magazines became the rule? For everyone in the US, good thing? Bad thing?. I enjoy my AR15 NM/A2 rifles with 10rd magazines. Is the "standard capacity magazine" protected by the 2A ?. The shooting has cause me to pause and think, does anyone really need a 100rd Beta C magazine?.
I understand the reasons that people might offer to say they "need" them. I wholly and absolutely DO NOT want the AR/AK platforms to be banned, removed or otherwise taken away from the Citizens, but does anyone need that kind of firepower for recreational, or sport shooting?. All replies are welcome, I can dish it, I can take, flame suit is on. A2
The primary purpose put forward by anti-gunners for a ban on magazines greater than 10 round capacity, is to inhibit the ability of mass murderers who use guns. Well the theory doesn't work.

The reality is 1999 Columbine. Where a Hi-Point 9mm carbine, and a supply of 10 round magazines was more than sufficient to slaughter the victims.

Armed vs unarmed people is all it takes for a massacre. Not 20 round or 30 or 100 or whatever sized magazines!
Old 07-26-2012, 8:31 PM

I have the same conflict honestly. The need for 100 drum magazines (although they clearly suck) is a difficult stance to defend. But the issue is the slippery slope concept of will gun control advocates stop there if magazines are legally capped at 10 rounds. The answer is of course no. Can one bargain with the devil, or get a little bit pregnant? I don't know, but perhaps being completely rigid ala GOA might not earn us as many friends among the fence riders. Would banning drum magazines be an acceptable sacrifice to improve the NRA's image in mainstream media, or is that just a pipe dream?
Old 07-26-2012, 8:31 PM

It may just become the law of the land...

http://thehill.com/video/senate/2406...ontrol-measure
Old 07-26-2012, 8:32 PM

The shooter's 100 round drum is said to have JAMMED during the incident.

If he had a bunch of 10 rounders instead - it's possible MORE people would have died.
Old 07-26-2012, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Why is the response to tragedy to immediately try to ban something? The problem with these ban happy liberals is that they cannot come to terms with the fact that people die. People are fragile beings and sometimes the die before they are old and ready to go.
They are afraid of their own mortality, and they want to live in a world that can never exist. They pass laws on every subject imaginable from the food you eat to the bed you sleep in, because they cannont come to terms with the fact that the universe is unpredictable. I sincerely think that the most outspoken of them have a problem accepting reality.

Now, to answer your question, I WANT 30 round magazines. I didn't F-ing kill anyone so leave me the F alone.

If this latest (2016) assault weapon (semi auto) ban passes... I will simply install hydraulically actuated rotating bolts, and jimmy slap triggers. They can't regulate what they don't understand.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Lone_Gunman; 07-26-2012 at 8:35 PM..
Old 07-26-2012, 8:35 PM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
... I WANT 30 round magazines. I didn't F-ing kill anyone so leave me the F alone.
Hear, Hear.

-------
Old 07-26-2012, 8:35 PM

Look up the FBI report on the guy that got in a shoot out with agents he had one mag and was reloading from a box of ammo. I think if your allowed to own the weapon you should be able to have any mag you want. Magazine capacity has nothing to do with a crime personally if I lived out of state I'd have a few dozen 30 rd mags maybe a drum or two. Why? Cause I could. And it would save my thumb a bunch of grief. Lol
Old 07-26-2012, 8:36 PM
Banned

Default Hacked

Claymore,

My account has not been hacked, I am not advocating on giving an inch, but I have listened to both sides. I am for people having "standard capacity mags" but a 100rd magazine? Something has changed in me, I understand the slippery slope argument. Maybe I am just an old shooter that has settled comfortably into having a 10rd BB AR15 rifle.
I was talking with my Uncle this evening, he owns firearms, he just happens to be a Democrat, and questions why anyone needs a "military pattern firearm" aka assault rifle. He, like many buy into the lefts rants, and I spent an hour correcting him on his misconceptions. Maybe I am tired, be that 100rd drum is stuck in my craw. A2
Old 07-26-2012, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Why is the response to tragedy to immediately try to ban something?.
I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I often hear more liberals talking about this than conservatives or libertarian types and I have a theory...

If you can blame it on the tool being used then you don't have to deal with the people/society that is creating the mass murderer. And that, to me, is all connected to the "everyone gets a trophy" and "victim mentality" and maybe even the "you didn't build that" (if you think that's what he really meant) ways of thinking.
Old 07-26-2012, 8:46 PM

Oh yeah, a lot of talk shows have picked up this topic. The best argument for why thy shouldn't be banned that I heard on the radio was one word...

Syria

We should not have to defend the "need" for standard capacity magazines.
The is (was) a free country and as such it is no one else's buisness why we want/need something.
Is there a need for fast cars, private airplanes, yachts, large trucks, etc.?
Would there be any limit to the extend we would be restricted?

Most important question:
At what point do we resist? I don't mean politically, I mean just not comply.
That point is getting closer every day.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.

Quote:
Folks,

How would you feel if 10 round magazines became the rule? For everyone in the US, good thing? Bad thing?
A terrible, idiotic, senseless thing.

Basing it off of the beaten to death "10 rounds is enough" argument made by complete idiots, perhaps we should ban cars that go over 70 mph. Why would anyone in California need a car that is able to go over 70 mph when the maximum speed limit in California is 70 mph.

It's a slippery slope that would cause an avalanche of justifications for other laws on things that we don't "need".
Old 07-26-2012, 8:51 PM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

I think my favorite is still “because we all know the 11th round is more dangerous”

Same can be said for a ban on 30+ round magazines...

And let’s be honest, 100rd drums aren’t that reliable and are heavy as heck when fully loaded.

-------
Old 07-26-2012, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Claymore,

My account has not been hacked, I am not advocating on giving an inch, but I have listened to both sides. I am for people having "standard capacity mags" but a 100rd magazine? Something has changed in me, I understand the slippery slope argument. Maybe I am just an old shooter that has settled comfortably into having a 10rd BB AR15 rifle.
I was talking with my Uncle this evening, he owns firearms, he just happens to be a Democrat, and questions why anyone needs a "military pattern firearm" aka assault rifle. He, like many buy into the lefts rants, and I spent an hour correcting him on his misconceptions. Maybe I am tired, be that 100rd drum is stuck in my craw. A2

We (some of yo’all at least) are arguing the wrong point which is to defend the “need” for high cap mags.
The argument should be WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE TO TELL ME WHAT I CAN OR CANNOT OWN.

Perhaps you should try to listen to your own counsel.
It sounds like you may have made logic points in your discussion with your uncle, SO HEAD YOUR OWN WORDS.
You mention that he ” questions why anyone needs a "military pattern firearm" “ which sounds an awful lot like the “why does anyone need a 100 round mag” argument.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 07-26-2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe I am just an old shooter that has settled comfortably into having a 10rd BB AR15 rifle.
That was painful to read.
It sounds like you've been oppressed into submission.
Old 07-26-2012, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsapata View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I often hear more liberals talking about this than conservatives or libertarian types and I have a theory...

If you can blame it on the tool being used then you don't have to deal with the people/society that is creating the mass murderer. And that, to me, is all connected to the "everyone gets a trophy" and "victim mentality" and maybe even the "you didn't build that" (if you think that's what he really meant) ways of thinking.

This is very insightful.
You are now getting to a root of the problem and we may now be able to move on a solution based on deeper truths instead of what we see on the surface.

It sounds like what we are seeing could be a mental disorder? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 07-26-2012, 9:11 PM

As others have said, who are you to decide what anyone else "needs"? You don't "need" a fast car or a big TV, but you'd probably throw a fit if someone decided it's illegal for you to have them.

Let them ban everything but 10rd mags, then watch as it goes down to 5rd mags, then only fixed mags, then only single shot... It's a slippery slope and one we need to beware of.
Old 07-26-2012, 9:13 PM
Banned

Default Rattlehead

Rattlehead,

I have not been pummeled into submission, not at all. I was young when you could buy all the 30 rounders you could stuff away, AR15 rifles pick it out, pay your money leave with it the same day. I have seen our State Government, take a GIANT **** on our rights. All I am trying to say is that I am happy to target shoot and match shoot with my 10rd magazines. I do not think that we should give one inch in this fight, but I have found myself having a difficult time justifying the utility, practicality, the necessity of a 100 round Beta C mag. Maybe I will feel different in the morning. A2
Old 07-26-2012, 9:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I am disgusted with gunowners who entertain the acceptance of another firearm regulation, even if it is symbolic, or only affects the 2nd peripherally.

It is these compromises that subject the right to keep and bear arms to abolition through attrition. It is far worse here in California than any other.

We only get the government we allow... and this applies to gun regulations like magazine restrictions. If you think it is okay to ban beta mags, for whatever justification you might imagine- even if it is to assuage the tender emotions of those who were victimized by a murderer- you have fallen for the creeping incrementalism that will permit banning everything, one feature at a time.

Standing against this is our duty not only to each other, but those who come after us. Our posterity should have the right to choose whether or not a beta mag is something they will use in their rifle. Who are you, that you would deny your descendants that right to choose? Our forefathers made every effort to bequeath us a right that shall not be infringed... And you would dole it away- not only for your self, but your children as well?

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by CitaDeL; 07-26-2012 at 9:17 PM..
Old 07-26-2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
The argument should be WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE TO TELL ME WHAT I CAN OR CANNOT OWN.

The same ones who tell you what intoxicants you can use.
Old 07-26-2012, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsapata View Post

Bingo.

If something needs to be banned to prevent mass murders, then shouldn't we ban the people most likely to commit them?

So, I propose we ban high school and college students. The record clearly shows that they have been the shooters in the majority of mass shootings for some time.

But they never seem to want to talk about that. They just want to blame guns.
"Did I say "republic?" By God, yes, I said "republic!" Long live the glorious republic of the United States of America. Damn democracy. It is a fraudulent term used, often by ignorant persons but no less often by intellectual fakers, to describe an infamous mixture of socialism, miscegenation, graft, confiscation of property and denial of personal rights to individuals whose virtuous principles make them offensive." - Westbrook Pegler
Veteran Member

No one really needs the right to free speech, we should limit that (more).
Hell blacks dont need to use the front door of an establishment, the back works just fine right?
No one needs to be openly out if the closet, we should really fix these things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
I am disgusted with gunowners who entertain the acceptance of another firearm regulation, even if it is symbolic, or only affects the 2nd peripherally.

It is these compromises that subject the right to keep and bear arms to abolition through attrition. It is far worse here in California than any other.

We only get the government we allow... and this applies to gun regulations like magazine restrictions. If you think it is okay to ban beta mags, for whatever justification you might imagine- even if it is to assuage the tender emotions of those who were victimized by a murderer- you have fallen for the creeping incrementalism that will permit banning everything, one feature at a time.

Standing against this is our duty not only to each other, but those who come after us. Our posterity should have the right to choose whether or not a beta mag is something they will use in their rifle. Who are you, that you would deny your descendants that right to choose? Our forefathers made every effort to bequeath us a right that shall not be infringed... And you would dole it away- not only for your self, but your children as well?
Seconds this...
Old 07-26-2012, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Folks,

Does anyone really *need* 300 hp in their cars? Since most of urban America drives at a whopping 10 mph during the morning commute, perhaps we should limit HP to 200 for all cars and trucks. After all the fastest speed limit in the nation is 80 MPH.

Quote:
The question of need is irrelevant to the legal regulation of the right.

Does a government bureaucrat have the right to decide which girl you date?You clearly don't need to date a woman with DDs to have a family.

Should you submit to a MB restriction on your cell phone? Ya don't need 1gig of mobile RAM to call 911 after all.

Speaking of RAM, why don't we cap civilians to 512mb memory with only 100Gig hard drive storage on their laptops. Quite frankly only government agencies have the training and jugement to use that storage space and computing power wisely.

A 10 round magazine ban , much like the old 55 MPH national speed limit, enforces a social and arbitrary standard of need which is devoid of foundation in logic or purpose.
Old 07-26-2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Rattlehead,

I have not been pummeled into submission, not at all. I was young when you could buy all the 30 rounders you could stuff away, AR15 rifles pick it out, pay your money leave with it the same day. I have seen our State Government, take a GIANT **** on our rights. All I am trying to say is that I am happy to target shoot and match shoot with my 10rd magazines. I do not think that we should give one inch in this fight, but I have found myself having a difficult time justifying the utility, practicality, the necessity of a 100 round Beta C mag. Maybe I will feel different in the morning. A2
I understand.

I think what people need to realize is that we shouldn't have to justify to anyone why we need them. Do I need them? No, I do not need them. Would it be fun to mess around with if I had a lot of money, was out of state, and had an auto sear? Yes.

It's not the need, it's the principal of the situation. You shouldn't have to justify it to any politician that bases their decisions on emotions rather than logic and reason.

I like traveling out of state because it gives me a reality check; not every state is as screwed up as California, and 99% of what California considers an "issue" is not an issue elsewhere...magazine capacity being one of those things.
Old 07-26-2012, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

The biggest thing that gets me is this "Shall not be infringed" and they have already done that wayyyyyyy tooooooo many times
Old 07-26-2012, 9:26 PM

Default Better @ 11

10? These go to 11. It's better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY
Old 07-26-2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Stamper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2

The same ones who tell you what intoxicants you can use.

I know exactly WHO they are and they are my enemy.

I was asking "WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE".

They are not kings.
They are not dictators.
They are not superior.

They wipe their *****e$ the same as I do. (well maybe not as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 07-26-2012, 9:28 PM
Unintended Consequences
CGN Contributor

Shall not be infringed....
Old 07-26-2012, 9:29 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Related thread - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=600437

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.