Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:44 AM

I have to chime in and add that her neck is deal breaker for me too. Maybe we can get a poll going to distinguish the giraffe loving folks from the rest of us?
Old 07-13-2012, 1:08 AM
Veteran Member

Old 07-13-2012, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
Look closer.

I think I've been on the internet too long... I actually think she looks better with the giraffe head
Old 07-13-2012, 5:23 AM
Internet Folk Hero
CGN Contributor

I find the fact that Paige wears clothes disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
The inevitable explosion gets closer and closer, coming in little steps, but closer every day.
I say: "Let's do it and get it over with."
Old 07-13-2012, 6:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Most of the "reality" shows are fake. A guy I know in Vegas was approached by the producer of Pawn Stars because they wanted to do an episode with an airplane. They asked if they could borrow his airplane so they could pretend to buy it on the show. He said sure. Then they asked if he could be their "expert" that they always call. So he ends up being their "buddy Mike" that they always call whenever they look at airplanes because he knows everything there is to know about airplanes. What a joke.
Old 07-13-2012, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
I find the fact that Paige wears clothes disgusting.
Now that she's 18, I'll say this - I can definitely get behind her. I mean, I can get behind the show.
Old 07-13-2012, 8:39 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Sig View Post
Most of the "reality" shows are fake. A guy I know in Vegas was approached by the producer of Pawn Stars because they wanted to do an episode with an airplane. They asked if they could borrow his airplane so they could pretend to buy it on the show. He said sure. Then they asked if he could be their "expert" that they always call. So he ends up being their "buddy Mike" that they always call whenever they look at airplanes because he knows everything there is to know about airplanes. What a joke.
"Reality TV" = making fake drama out of BS. That's the way it's been since "The Real World Episode 1" (arguably, the show that made reality tv commercially viable) back in the 80s/early 90s.

I am consistently amazed at how many otherwise informed people take reality television seriously and really care or think that anything they are seeing is somehow "real" or even has a tenuous connection to reality. Every reality show in television is as described above with Pawn Stars, complete and utterly fabricated BS. No different than a Telenovela, drama or comedy series written by a bunch of guys in a room. Except reality is written by producers on the set and editors in the edit bay.
Old 07-13-2012, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reality tv is a joke now a days, although I still love American guns and sobs of guns, yeah some of its staged but I just watch it for the guns...now I refuse to watch storage wars, pawn stars all that stuff us staged. When I was in Vegas last year I stopped but the pawn stars pawn shop and it was a joke, most of it is tshirts for the show and everything is waaaaaaayyyyyy overpriced
Old 07-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

I saw AG last night. $1500 for an M&P pistol. Forget it. I figured up to 500-600 bucks for the gun and 100 bucks on the trigger job. My XD was about $600 in 2005 and I payed $100 for my trigger job a few years ago. I figured $300 or so should cover the paint. 500 for the gun, no big deal. 100 on the trigger job, good price. 800 on paint, what a joke. To add insult to injury, Rich was mad that he only got $100 in profit for a $1500 job. He is already making money from selling the gun and trigger job. He probably marked up the paint as well.

I am glad it didn't work like that when my gunsmith upgraded my gun. I had sights and a trigger job done at once. He didn't reward me, for giving him more business, by upping the price to more than what the individual jobs cost.

Oh, and $20k for a custom lever action rifle. It looked like a nice gun, but that seems pretty high. Of course the gunsmiths had to make every little hickup with the build into something very dramatic, like it was the end of the world. Why does Rich even ask who is going to do each part of a build. You know the heavy guy will do the barrel, the older guy does most of the triggers, and the less heavy guy fills in and works on stocks. Who is going to do the engraving? It sure isn't the giraffe with the perky tits.

The lever action gun looked nice, but that 13 year old kid was quite cocky. It made me puke in my mouth a little.
Old 07-15-2012, 2:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooperman View Post
I only watch it because of Paige.
I do too.
Old 07-15-2012, 2:27 AM

Just some clue from behind the scenes. Eric (Preacher) was just on. Had one of GunSmoke's 870s modified. Its all staged, and prices are stated higher for TV.

Its reality TV. It is what it is.

http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/07/11...american-guns/
Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here
Old 07-15-2012, 7:33 AM

I do not watch reality TV period. It is all scripted crap. Spongebob is more real than any of those stupid reality TV shows. They find some mundane business run by some ******* , introduce all kinds of fake drama, fake finds, unrealistic prices, and bingo, instant hit. What's next? Maybe they should set up cameras at the local abortion clinic.
Old 07-15-2012, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

I have to wonder what the reality really is.

In looking at the FFL database, it seems that Gunsmoke does not exist anymore. Around May 2012, their license disappeared and at that address it was replaced with an 07 FFL under the name of Triggers Firearms. Triggers Firearms previous address shows some reference to RAR Guns, but there is no FFL at the previous address. There are still some unhappy customers though and the web page referred to on RAR Guns web page is not up.

It seems that there was no 07 FFL at the address listed for Gunsmoke either until Triggers FIrearms FFL in May 2012.

If you are interested in the soap opera aspect, read:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-124906.html

It gives an interesting picture of Rich Wyatt.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-15-2012, 11:02 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
I just went and Googled "gunsmoke guns & Gun shops in Colorado" and read how he lost his job as a LEO. WOW! ! Not alot of nice things out there about him, I like the show though,

So how did he lose his LEO job? My Google Fu is weak and I can't find it.

Here I am.

WTB VW Dune Buggy, the metal flake fiberglass kind from the 60's
Old 07-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohi2play View Post
The only show that I liked watching was Guns and Gear on the Versus channel which they only showed early in the morning. Sadly though they took it off the air.
I liked that show too. When NBC bought Versus, that is the first show they cancelled.
COTEP #227

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 07-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Banned

It was disgusting last week how they let a Youth Pastor bring in his Grandpa's Remington 870, tell them he wants to turn it into a tactical home defense shotgun and charged him...$1,500.

Turned my stomach.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
It was disgusting last week how they let a Youth Pastor bring in his Grandpa's Remington 870, tell them he wants to turn it into a tactical home defense shotgun and charged him...$1,500.

Turned my stomach.
it was fake, all fake. The story, the conversion, the shooting, etc. It is TV and it is not reality. It would be far more honest if they said it was fiction.

http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/07/11...american-guns/

Quote:
Because I wouldn’t bring in my grandfather’s ACTUAL 1952 Sears & Roebuck J.C. Higgins 12 Gauge shotgun to be ravaged and overhauled for my episode, the show peeps snatched an old beat up Remington 870 Wingmaster from the shelves of Gunsmoke and we ran with it for the story line.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

OK, so now I learn that a youth pastor was willingly part of a LIE.

Nice, very nice.

As always, I offer these comments, respectfully, FWIW and with the caveat that YMMV.

Last edited by ptmccain; 07-15-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm sure the Brady Bunch can find another show to be put on instead.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Banned

What a moron.

He disgraced the Gospel.
He disgraced the ministry.
He disgraced himself.

He was/is involved in a lie.

'nuff said.

Count me out.
Old 07-15-2012, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
OK, so now I learn that a youth pastor was willingly part of a LIE.
It's not a lie. It's about telling a story... a not so accurate story, but a story none the less. That's what TV shows are all about, selling you on a story telling fantasy and getting you hooked.

The read above from the real pastor was interesting and goes along with what friends of mine have done in the past (I had a friend on the Road Rules and one on The Bachlorette). If you really don't have the patience to do repetitive scenes over & over, then show biz ain't for you.

Back on topic, I still stand by what I said earlier. The shows are lame with lame stories, but they're still gun shows on TV so I'm going watch and (yes) support them.
Old 07-15-2012, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
...........The shows are lame with lame stories, but they're still gun shows on TV so I'm going watch and (yes) support them.
People gotta realize that kinds of shows that would appeal to the crowd here are going to bore the hell out of most viewers.

Obviously it's about ratings and money and getting those revenues from commercials for their home networks.

A side benefit is these shows are gateways to firearm interest and ownership, to undo the decades of anti-gun propaganda, maybe somebody watches because the daughter is hot, who cares why anyone watches, they are now learning that guns do not equate evil as they have been taught by people like Michael Moore.

It all can lead to a firearm purchase, and with that, 2nd amendment political awareness.

They can learn the rest like any of us elsewhere.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-15-2012, 3:20 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Lame show. I think the worst markup on any gun they've done so far was a $500 Mossberg MVP that was cut down to 16" or so and re crowned. It was laser engraved with a little alligator in the stock and had a Leupold fixed power scope thrown on there. He also bought a Smith Governer which is about a $700 gun. It was engraved a bit on the cylinder and he asked $10k. I think they met somewhere in the $7500 range or something close, and I about died. TOPS $3k worth of guns/work but it was a joke to me to see a 7k price tag on it all and it was supposedly a super accurate "alligator" gun.

Just have to take it as a completely staged show with actors (even the guys shopping) and its all gimmick garbage. They do potentially have some cool CNC based stuff and CAN make nice things but its all for the sake of television, so its essentially a soap opera. It is still gun related so I continue to watch and laugh, but it unfortunately shows a bad side of gun ownership with fake pricing.
Old 07-15-2012, 4:30 PM

The show is entertaining, but the store is trash when i read these reviews on them.

http://www.ar-15.co/forums/showthread.php?t=13579
http://www.ar-15.co/forums/showthrea...light=gunsmoke
http://www.ar-15.co/forums/showthread.php?t=54999
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_20/466248_.html
http://www.ripoffreport.com/gun-shop...t-in-ddafw.htm
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486898
Old 07-15-2012, 6:55 PM

Anyone think that paintjob on the Lapua rifle was worth anywhere near $2500? Seems like everyone on that show jacks prices 5 times what they are really worth.

Oh and I noticed that the house where they bought the automatic rifles at was near Table mountain between Golden and Wheat Ridge. Roughly 10 miles from Gunsmoke's store. I doubt they needed the helicopter to get to that "remote" location.

Last edited by ArcherDog; 07-15-2012 at 6:59 PM..
Old 07-15-2012, 7:28 PM
┬──┬ ¯\_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherDog View Post
Anyone think that paintjob on the Lapua rifle was worth anywhere near $2500? Seems like everyone on that show jacks prices 5 times what they are really worth.

Oh and I noticed that the house where they bought the automatic rifles at was near Table mountain between Golden and Wheat Ridge. Roughly 10 miles from Gunsmoke's store. I doubt they needed the helicopter to get to that "remote" location.
No, looked like **** with the crappy decays.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 07-16-2012, 2:57 PM

I know it's faked, but I can't look away. Seen every episode. Never been to Colorado--it looks beautiful there!
Old 07-16-2012, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's entertainment, and I like it. It's more mainstream than anything else out there in regards to guns.

Watching someone shoot bullseye targets to show the best grouping guns? Lame.
Watching competition shoots - we already have Hot Shots and others.
There are plenty of "Gallery of Guns" type shows, so that's covered.

Seriously, a lot of folks are getting too worked up about this. It's like pissing on The Big Bang Theory because 1) physicists aren't that funny, and 2) there's no way that Penny would ever date Leonard.

So, all wise and wonderful interwebs, what would be better that 1) Doesn't already exist, and 2) Would appeal to the non-gunnie?
Old 07-16-2012, 6:52 PM
Banned

In her defense