Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 07-01-2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenox View Post
Looking at this map (see areas in Yellow) there are few small patches of BLM within an hour (?) drive.

Needs further investigation.
The chunk out by Henry W Coe is inaccessible. I drove the route last year. And it sure as hell ain't an hour away, as it's a lot of gnarly (and fun) mountain road.
x7
Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM

I have a property in the Foothills that I'm thinking of setting up for private shooting sports/camping venue. It has long range possibilities, pretty sure I can get at lease 700 yds. May be a good place for weekend function. Would be interested in talking to knowlegable people about this. It borders BLM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Cabra View Post
I have a property in the Foothills that I'm thinking of setting up for private shooting sports/camping venue. It has long range possibilities, pretty sure I can get at lease 700 yds. May be a good place for weekend function. Would be interested in talking to knowlegable people about this. It borders BLM.
make it happen and i'll be there!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix604 View Post
I want to do a TNP inspired run and gun. Combat pistols and ARs. 200 yes and in for run/gun; 4-500 for stationary doping glass shooting. Figure early roll out, zero check, run for as long as you can (LBE incl. doods!) and then work sniping until sundown?

Needs:

What date? say in one month?
Steel targets? will need 6-8 right? 10 in steel for shorter, maybe a hostage, maybe full size?
Site to get in that kind of shooting?
timers?
HD vid?
Well, you get the idea...TNP Div West?
I think if we proceed to do this, we will definitely find new found respect for mr nutn. Sounds like a lot of work. We just cant be lazy..
Old 07-03-2012, 1:50 AM

just got back from reno and the blm land out there....worth the drive 30 round mags and no bullet button bs!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 PM

I was thinking about going to Panoche Hills and I noticed this:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/new...trictions.html

Can someone translate this? Does it mean no access at all - can't go? Or does it mean no vehicles in certain areas? They say no fire / bbq in campsites. Fair enough - but how do you set up a campsite without a vehicle in the first place?

Or should I go there and ask or call them upfront and ask?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Tactical Reloader
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2gots View Post
Something like this sounds like it would be really fun, but if we all want to make it a get together if sorts, you guys think it would be best to keep it in small groups of 10ish let's say, instead of 50 people showing up in one place with a bunch of guns? NOT saying that wouldnt be hell of fun, but so much firepower might be asking for trouble...
I'm in East bay also, Livermore. Stanislaus off of 108 might be a good "close" place to go.

Agreed .. I'm down to go out with a small group

I'd bring a few AR's. Couple 9mm's and a .357 revolver

Need Auto Collision repair / Bay Area ? See my thread !!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=476124
Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM

So Nutn says that 4 doods is ideal. More than that and you have lots of people standing around.

I concur...unless we want to run 2 lanes simultaneously...but imho that adds to safety challenges.

So, lets try a 4 person shoot first and call it a recon op. then we can see if more can play.

Might be nice to do AR and pistol. and do 22 ARs and pistols?

How do we get it started - this board has lots of ideas and not much doing, eh?

Maybe Mr. Chupa Chabra would like to volunteer a weekend? I am thinking sometime first 2 weeks in AUG?

Just think TNP drill - sledgehammer, trench, or one like that. Doing pistol and rifle. Longest target for running would be 200m.

Will need a rangefinder. Will need orange cones and targets. Methinks that those with the gear will make the 4 man list. I have none except the guns. Could possibly provide some training ammo 223...that is my hand loads...guaranteed to malfunction at least once by the time you are done! Same with 9, 40, or 45. they are good for practicing clearing! I would donate 200 rds of each if the other couple of doods have something to offer.

So, if Mr. Chupa Chabra gives his land, I'd he is done. WHO HAS STEEL? barricades (even makeshift ones - or we could always do sandbags for prone shooting? cones? Timer? Videocam? We can then BYOB/E if even but camp stoves for snacks...could even do one overnight if it doesn't seem like too hard to do...

p
The US Declaration of Independence: "when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Governments."
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Idea would be to film the thing like its TNP West...how to deploy a small group of doods to do a local shoot...could invite others to do similar in their locales...would be a neat video response to Mr. TNP!
The US Declaration of Independence: "when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Governments."
Old 07-16-2012, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I would like to find a closer place to shoot 500+ yards than the Coalinga range.

I have a Swedish optical range finder that is quite accurate and should be perfect for setting up targets at known range.

I can borrow some VHF handsets to communicate between the firing line and people setting targets.

If an off road vehicle is needed, I might be able to borrow one of those too.

I also have a garage sale jogging stroller that I've been meaning to turn in to a range cart.

If someone has suitable private land, I'm willing to help set up permanent target stands and or set up a shooting platform.

Let's go shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 07-16-2012, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos06 View Post
when's the next time u going kev? let me follow u!
Was just up there this past weekend. Everything, and I mean everything, was closed off due to dry conditions and fire risk. Sorry man, I missed your post way back then!
Old 07-16-2012, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenox View Post
I was thinking about going to Panoche Hills and I noticed this:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/new...trictions.html

Can someone translate this? Does it mean no access at all - can't go? Or does it mean no vehicles in certain areas? They say no fire / bbq in campsites. Fair enough - but how do you set up a campsite without a vehicle in the first place?

Or should I go there and ask or call them upfront and ask?

Thanks!

Panoche is closed from Apr-Oct for fire season, reopens sometime in Oct.
Old 07-17-2012, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix604 View Post
So Nutn says that 4 doods is ideal. More than that and you have lots of people standing around.

I concur...unless we want to run 2 lanes simultaneously...but imho that adds to safety challenges.

So, lets try a 4 person shoot first and call it a recon op. then we can see if more can play.

Might be nice to do AR and pistol. and do 22 ARs and pistols?

How do we get it started - this board has lots of ideas and not much doing, eh?

Maybe Mr. Chupa Chabra would like to volunteer a weekend? I am thinking sometime first 2 weeks in AUG?

Just think TNP drill - sledgehammer, trench, or one like that. Doing pistol and rifle. Longest target for running would be 200m.

Will need a rangefinder. Will need orange cones and targets. Methinks that those with the gear will make the 4 man list. I have none except the guns. Could possibly provide some training ammo 223...that is my hand loads...guaranteed to malfunction at least once by the time you are done! Same with 9, 40, or 45. they are good for practicing clearing! I would donate 200 rds of each if the other couple of doods have something to offer.

So, if Mr. Chupa Chabra gives his land, I'd he is done. WHO HAS STEEL? barricades (even makeshift ones - or we could always do sandbags for prone shooting? cones? Timer? Videocam? We can then BYOB/E if even but camp stoves for snacks...could even do one overnight if it doesn't seem like too hard to do...

p

i have cones, guns, 1 steel plate, video cam (old one).

Chupa Chabra land is much needed
Old 07-19-2012, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

I may be getting a nice pop-up shelter soon. Shooting in the shade is much nicer in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 AM

i have canopys
Old 07-20-2012, 6:47 PM

Stanislaus National Forest off hwy 108 or 120 is where I usually go. From the bay area it is a 2-3 hour drive. Plenty of fire roads to go explore and legally shoot in the forest.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrisnet View Post
Unfortunately, we probably need to schedule a cleanup of that range first.

I was out there last week, and just inside the main Tumey Hills entrance is a really nasty area that's been made a real mess. brass, shotgun shells, and orange clay birds everywhere.

Personally, I try to cleanup my brass... then again, I have a rather unused area in Tumey Hills I like to use for handgun practice. I usually end up picking up 90% of my brass, and then finding what I missed on my next trip, and the occasional shell in a calibre I don't shoot.

I really hope they don't close it out b/c of this crap. Only place I can do rapid shots & reactive targets.
Maybe, I'm an idiot (and I probably am, but I cannot find this place on the map.) Any chance you get get the Lat/Long coordinates? I'm trying to convince a couple of friends to make a trip to Tumey Hills but cannot find it. Sounds like we should bring a couple of garbage bags too to clean up other people's trash.

Damnit, never mind found it. Doh!

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/holli...ion/tumey.html

and I think that entrance on the map is:

36.623630, -120.654229

Closed until the middle of October though. Sigh.

Last edited by Code7inOaktown; 07-21-2012 at 11:37 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 9:27 PM

Anyone tried to that area around cache creek? We could do some gambling then shooting or shooting and gambling.
Old 09-24-2012, 8:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
Anyone tried to that area around cache creek? We could do some gambling then shooting or shooting and gambling.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cachecreek.html

"Non-hunting (target) shooting is not allowed."
Old 09-24-2012, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code7inOaktown View Post
and I think that entrance on the map is:

36.623630, -120.654229

Closed until the middle of October though. Sigh.
I believe that entrance is open year round, and there's a shooting area, and then further down the road there's another gate that's locked during "fire season". So you can only get to 25 of the 600 acres but that's plenty for most purposes, although apparently it can get crowded on the weekends.

That's just from my reading, I haven't been there. Anybody know for sure?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM

actually the Panoche/Tumey is actually not ever closed to walk-in access... it's just a long 3+ mile walk from the outside gate to the shooting area.

They used to lock up vehicle access back at the upper gate at Panoche, so that it was truly a shorter walk to get in and shoot, but as usual, dip*****s shot up the locks and now the entrance down at the main road is where the locks are.
Old 09-25-2012, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

So I called the field office, and got a somewhat confused explanation of the status and a phone number for their permitting person who knew more, and I called her and she was very helpful.

Current fire season situation (i.e. until October 15th) - If you want to go to Panoche you can apparently get a free permit and a combination to at least one of the gates. If I understand it properly it means still walking in Panoche but you can drive the 3 miles between the first gate and the start of the BLM land proper. Contact them for details since I was more interested in Tumey.

Tumey there's the east gate, which goes to the box canyon (they also refer to it as the day use area), and the west gate, which is 5 more miles down the road. The west gate is locked until October 15th, but you can hike in. The east gate is open as far as the slot canyon, which is basically used only by target shooters this time of year.

She seemed to think it was pretty crowded in the slot canyon, and often filled with idiots (she put it somewhat more politely) so the best strategy for target shooting would be to try the east entrance, and if you can find a good spot, fine, but if you can't or didn't feel safe with the bozo count or whatever then just go to the west side and hike in a bit because there's never really anybody there.

Last edited by Eljay; 09-25-2012 at 3:12 PM..
Old 09-28-2012, 5:33 PM

Update....called BLM Hollister office today and got a hard date of October 15 to reopen. The lady who answered my question also mentioned that they may open to vehicles on the 13th since the 15th falls on a Monday.....Unfortunately won't be till November until I can get out there.
Old 09-28-2012, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

I ended up going yesterday and there was only one other group in the canyon. Less mess than I expected but a thin scattering of shotgun hulls over a wide area unfortunately.
Old 09-28-2012, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

I ended up going yesterday and there was only one other group in the canyon. Less mess than I expected but a thin scattering of shotgun hulls over a wide area unfortunately.
Old 10-22-2012, 7:47 PM

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but to answer the question posed above by Phoenix, I posted up there ^ that I was setting up a range and looking for interested, knowledgeable people to help develop something. I have since been to an Appleseed weekend and that is a great model for what I am trying to accomplish. So Phoenix, I am still building a private facility and would like to network with individuals who can bring something to the mix. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.