Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-08-2012, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Transitioning my wife to center-fire?

My wife has become fairly understanding about shooting since I started about 5 years into our marriage. She bought my my first firearm for my birthday, and I even got her to the point where she owns her own .22 High Standard which we sometimes shoot in a local target league.

My question is... she won't shoot anything bigger than .22lr. Mind you, she is a great shot. She even took a trophy home from our league the last season we competed.

According to her, she feels some kind of... impact on her face when she pulls the trigger. She says it's like a concussion. It doesn't really matter what caliber. I've had her shoot pistols in .380, 9mm, .40. I've also had her shoot my M39 with really reduced lead cast loads (in 7.62x54) which are running at maybe 1700fps and my .223 AR.

When she shot my .40 (CZ75B), she picked it up, fired a shot (hitting maybe 1/2" away from the 1" shoot'n'see), put it down, and said "I don't like it." Then I offered her some lead cast loads which were down at 750-800fps... same thing (she put it through the same hole).

She said the .223 was the worst of them (I'm guessing the muzzle brake?). She was very specific in explaining that it wasn't the kick (she said there wasn't any)... it was this big gust of air.

I've never felt this "concussive force" she describes. Of course... I love shooting anything anyone puts in my hands. Maybe the difference is that while she's shooting, she's concentrating while when I'm shooting, I'm grinning so hugely that all the muscles in my face are tightened?

So... does anyone have any suggestions? I can't help but think that if I can just find her a firearm in center-fire she likes, she'll shoot it and maybe forget about or get used to this concussion.
Old 07-08-2012, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member

This is an interesting story. And I don't know the answer. No doubt 9mmepiphany or another long-time shooter/teacher will provide the right answer.

Still if your wife is experiencing "blowback," then this Wiki page seems to suggest that an expensive, all steel 1911 .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol ought to be the next firearm for your wife to try out.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 07-08-2012, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

I have a friend that this happened with. He used to shoot everything on a regular basis until he was involved in a car accident and received a bunch of facial fractures. After healing up the general concussion or shock wave hurt to much with anything over rimfire. Needless to say he sold off everything and went full tilt rimfire only. He just makes due with what he can shoot vs not shoot.
Old 07-08-2012, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Well... maybe there is no answer, then. I just wish she'd be able to get something in a self defense caliber.
Old 07-08-2012, 9:33 PM

Are you at an indoor range or outdoor range? I have often felt the concussion at an indoor range especially from a shooter in the lane next to me but find it is considerably less noticeable at outdoor ranges.
Old 07-08-2012, 9:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Outdoor with plywood dividers.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post

My question is... she won't shoot anything bigger than .22lr. Mind you, she is a great shot. She even took a trophy home from our league the last season we competed.

Then there is no problem to discuss. Not everyone drives the same car, eats the same food, or orders the same drink from Jamba Juice.

One thing I respect about female shooters, they know what they like and stick with it.The don't give a tinkers hoot about Gunslinger Monthly's advice about .22LR being a mousegun caliber. Let the lady shoot what she likes. From what it sounds like , she's more than capable of using her "mousegun" to take care of business. Beyond that its all about having fun.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Load her up with Stingers and teach her to shoot for the face in a defensive situation. I think the .22 will be pretty effective then.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Thank you masameet, for your confidence in my ability to diagnose this

I have actually had this experience. It makes sense if you think about it. If you can hear the sound of the shot, the sound wave...pushing the air in front of it...would have to brush by your face first.

The answer is basic desensitization techniques, through first understanding their reaction, preparing them emotionally and then building up their confidence in preparation for the event.

We might have already lost this avenue, when you had her shoot the rifles, the .380 and the .40. The pressure curve of the .40, even out of a CZ 75, is very steep. A better route might have been a .38 spl shooting wad cutters or a .45ACP shooting 185gr SWC mid-range loads.

Which 9mm pistol did you have her try?
Which bullet weight were you shooting?

Is she also sensitive to wind in her face and does she have proximity sensitivities?

If she is willing to experiment, you could try doubling up on hearing protection (muffs and foam plugs) and a paintball mask
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Paintball mask?

Naw.

This kind. (And talk about a pretty color and relatively lightweight too!)

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 07-09-2012, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
Thank you masameet, for your confidence in my ability to diagnose this
I appreciate you folks for helping me out.

Quote:
I have actually had this experience. It makes sense if you think about it. If you can hear the sound of the shot, the sound wave...pushing the air in front of it...would have to brush by your face first.

The answer is basic desensitization techniques, through first understanding their reaction, preparing them emotionally and then building up their confidence in preparation for the event.
Kind of difficult to desensitize her if she's only willing to fire one shot.

Quote:
We might have already lost this avenue, when you had her shoot the rifles, the .380 and the .40. The pressure curve of the .40, even out of a CZ 75, is very steep. A better route might have been a .38 spl shooting wad cutters or a .45ACP shooting 185gr SWC mid-range loads.
Since I'm dead to the blowback thing, I didn't know any better. I'll try that out.

Quote:
Which 9mm pistol did you have her try?
Which bullet weight were you shooting?
Sig P226. I can't remember the bullet weight (it was borrowed... I don't have anything in 9mm... aside from 9mm kurz).

Quote:
Is she also sensitive to wind in her face and does she have proximity sensitivities?

If she is willing to experiment, you could try doubling up on hearing protection (muffs and foam plugs) and a paintball mask
I'll check with her when she gets home. Who knows? I don't think the paintball mask will work out though... I'll try the foam plugs under the muffs.
Old 07-09-2012, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Then there is no problem to discuss. Not everyone drives the same car, eats the same food, or orders the same drink from Jamba Juice.

One thing I respect about female shooters, they know what they like and stick with it.The don't give a tinkers hoot about Gunslinger Monthly's advice about .22LR being a mousegun caliber. Let the lady shoot what she likes. From what it sounds like , she's more than capable of using her "mousegun" to take care of business. Beyond that its all about having fun.
I got all excited about getting subscription to Gunslinger Monthly. Didn't find it. Disappointed.
Old 07-09-2012, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

This may seem unorthodox, but I would try getting her to shoot a rifle (most likely lever action) in 38 Special or 45LC with a barrel over 20".

I get something like what she is feeling when firing large caliber pistols. A friend of mine let me shoot his 1873 clone (or was it a Blackhawk? hmmmm) in 357 Rem Max and I got something similiar to this "concussion".

I have a Model 1892-clone by Puma in 45LC with a 24" oct. barrel and that thing shoots just like a 22LR. If that doesn't work out then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 PM

you should be glad she shoots rimfire only the ammo is cheap saves you money. if you really want her to shoot centerfire have her shoot from the hip cowboy style its more fun and she wont feel the concussion of gas in her face.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
Kind of difficult to desensitize her if she's only willing to fire one shot.
You desensitize before you start shooting by learning what she is feeling and explaining what she is feeling in non-threatening terms...not by shooting

Quote:
Sig P226. I can't remember the bullet weight (it was borrowed... I don't have anything in 9mm... aside from 9mm kurz).
Do you have a medium frameed .38 or a 1911?

Quote:
I'll check with her when she gets home. Who knows?
It might be rather important
Old 07-10-2012, 8:19 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

personally, i think you should let the issue lie for awhile and let her enjoy shooting .22lr for as long as she likes. you desire she have a self-defense load: what does she desire?

i would also add that more people are killed by .22lr than any other calibre...in self-defense. partly because it is owned by more people and partly because it is what people practice with. anyone will be more accurate and better able to place a shot if they practice. its shot placement as well as calibre.

don't get hung up on your desires and remember this really is about her, what she is comfortable with, why she is shooting in the first place, etc.

there are many that are envious that she's even at the range in the first place.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buy a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 07-10-2012, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

My 460 Magnum feels like getting slapped in the face every shot, and I still love it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 07-10-2012, 8:26 AM

^^^^^^ Listen to Zombie......

My wife just started shooting and she happens to like the biggest guns she can get her hands on. Heavier is better for her, she hates my Glocks.

But it sounds like your wife is a mentally competent adult capable of assessing her own security and preferences.

Edit: Crap I hate it when men post in the Ladies Forum, but since the OP was opining about his wife I did not notice...my apologies.
Old 07-10-2012, 8:32 AM
Veteran Member

oops, just saw ladies forum, damn the new post button.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

like gatesbox's wife, i prefer a heavy gun. metal. none of that plastic crap. it absorbs the recoil better and reminds me that i have something in my hand.

kudos to the OP for asking here in the "ladies forum". so many times guys ask other guys and they get guy opinions....which is often a different mindset from those of us that are female with guns.

and kudos to the male posters IF they remember this is a ladies forum designed to remove the testosterone element so often displayed in OT and/or other forums here at calguns. trust me: the ladies of calguns will verbally slap guys silly if they get out of line here.........otherwise, well thought out and well stated experience is welcome....or at least i welcome it....shouldn't speak for all the female participants or i may get slapped silly myself!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buy a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt