Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-07-2012, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

Default My 160$ burger

I was on the way to grab a burger from Angelo's. And I was on the cell phone, not to my head but on speaker phone in my hand. Out of nowhere I got stopped by a motor unit in the drive through. I was honest with him, I didn't try and lie my way out of it. But he told me the fine is 160$, so should I just man up and pay for the ticket and be done with it. Or should I attend traffic school and ask for a reduction? So it won't show up on my driving record.

Others have suggested that I try and fight the ticket, in the hopes that the officer won't show up. It's VC 23123A, it states the first time offense is 20$-50$? Not 160$

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 07-07-2012 at 3:49 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Is it a moving violation? I think if you opt for traffic school, you pay the fine then you pay for traffic school.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 07-07-2012, 3:48 PM

The question becomes, did he cite you for using it before being in the drive thru or for using it while in the drive thru?

Oh, and be prepared to add court fees to that ticket.
Old 07-07-2012, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoF350 View Post
The question becomes, did he cite you for using it before being in the drive thru or for using it while in the drive thru?
It was initiated at the entrance as I was pulling in from a public road.
Old 07-07-2012, 3:53 PM

So he basically wrote you for using the cell phone on a public roadway. You could have argued it in court if you had been in the drive thru. That sucks.
Old 07-07-2012, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoF350 View Post
So he basically wrote you for using the cell phone on a public roadway. You could have argued it in court if you had been in the drive thru. That sucks.
More or less. I got stopped next to the entrance of the drive through, I just wanted a bacon burger dammit.!
Old 07-07-2012, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Unless things have changed in the last year, it is not a moving violation. No reason for traffic school.
And the $160 is most likely what the officer has seen the judge fining people in court and includes court fees.

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-07-2012, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Its not a moving violation, so no point for traffic school
Old 07-07-2012, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
I was on the way to grab a burger from Angelo's. And I was on the cell phone, not to my head but on speaker phone in my hand. Out of nowhere I got stopped by a motor unit in the drive through.

$
Not to kick a man while he's down, but, it is called the "hands free law..."
Old 07-07-2012, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Gotcha, yeah the traffic school is not needed. So my only two options are to pay it or try and fight it.
Old 07-07-2012, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So my only two options are to pay it or try and fight it.
Yup.
Old 07-07-2012, 4:16 PM

hey but angelos had good burgers. the one on coast highway or? did you get your burger or did this make you want to just go home after this??
Old 07-07-2012, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Coast highway 101, In North County San Diego. No I didn't get my burger from angelo's, I went to Wendy's instead. In the drive through there, I saw the same motor officer fishing for more traffic violators. He ignored like 4 people on their cell phones. Talk about selective enforcement!!
Old 07-07-2012, 4:23 PM

My wife got one last month. Total fine was $155.
Old 07-07-2012, 4:24 PM

Quote:
. It's VC 23123A, it states the first time offense is 20$-50$? Not 160$
True but then you have penalty and assessments and the fine about triples. I don't agree with what those assessment are...thank your elected officials including judges.

It's o.k. to be torqued about a ticket but I commend you for fessing up...not too many people like you anymore.

Traffic school if the charge qualifies is probably your best bet however ask your insurance co if that charge would make your rates go up. If it doesn't you may want to think of holding off on TS when you need it. I think you can only go once every 18 to 24 months. I don't remember exactly!!
Old 07-07-2012, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Coast highway 101, In North County San Diego. No I didn't get my burger from angelo's, I went to Wendy's instead. In the drive through there, I saw the same motor officer fishing for more traffic violators. He ignored like 4 people on their cell phones. Talk about selective enforcement!!
We can't nab everybofy!! LOL

But that officer may not feel like enforcing that law. I never wrote a tinted glass ticket. I didn't like that law..it's only an infraction anyway and as you may know...Cops have bigger fish to fry. Just my opinion.

EDIT: I've let alot of people I caught including misdemeanors off with warnings too.
Old 07-07-2012, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Woodford View Post
True but then you have penalty and assessments and the fine about triples. I don't agree with what those assessment are...thank your elected officials including judges.

It's o.k. to be torqued about a ticket but I commend you for fessing up...not too many people like you anymore.

Traffic school if the charge qualifies is probably your best bet however ask your insurance co if that charge would make your rates go up. If it doesn't you may want to think of holding off on TS when you need it. I think you can only go once every 18 to 24 months. I don't remember exactly!!
The officer is not stupid, I have respect for LE. I'm not going to sit there and lie to his face and Say No! I manned up and took responsibility for it.
Old 07-07-2012, 7:39 PM

$160 my butt. My first offense talking on the phone while driving was $350!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel4488 View Post
$160 my butt. My first offense talking on the phone while driving was $350!!!!!!!

Counties can assess their own fees in addition to the established fine.
Old 07-07-2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
The officer is not stupid, I have respect for LE. I'm not going to sit there and lie to his face and Say No! I manned up and took responsibility for it.
You "manned up and took responsibility"?.....and now you are wanting to go to court to get out of it? Way to "man up"!
You did it, you got caught. Just pay the fine.

Last edited by Sticka; 07-07-2012 at 8:04 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticka View Post
You "manned up and took responsibility"?.....and now you are wanting to go to court to get out of it? Way to "man up"!
You did it, you got caught. Just pay the fine.
That's what I said i'm going to do...
Old 07-07-2012, 8:12 PM

yeah i was born on camp pendelton and i grew up in oside man. nothing beats angelos. except maybe in and out
Old 07-07-2012, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatpain View Post
yeah i was born on camp pendelton and i grew up in oside man. nothing beats angelos. except maybe in and out
Five guys is pretty good! but It cost like 30$ for me and my bro, we're talking fully loaded burgers. bacon, cheese,mushrooms and onions and those huge buckets of fry's. The one in Oceanside(Angelo's) is great for eating after a bar crawl, just avoid Alfredo's mexican food across the street near surfrider yuck!

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 07-07-2012 at 8:27 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
More or less. I got stopped next to the entrance of the drive through, I just wanted a bacon burger dammit.!
You were going to order Onion Rings too?
Old 07-07-2012, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky8601 View Post
You were going to order Onion Rings too?
I was going to order fried zucchini. Going for something different, I know.. I wish I could have bought the Deputy lunch instead..
Old 07-07-2012, 9:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
Not to kick a man while he's down, but, it is called the "hands free law..."
To be fair, I think they should pull anyone over using their hands in any other way other than a cell phone then. Coffee, fries, adjusting a rear view mirror, touching the control knobs for audio, etc.

And...the best place to catch people is to hang out on residential streets. Right before people pull in or out of their house. They should double the force on these residential streets. You know how much money they'd bring in?

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Last edited by adrenaline; 07-07-2012 at 9:37 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 07-07-2012, 9:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How does the cop know you were talking or dialing on the cell phone. I might be wrong but when I read the pc on the DMV website it said it didn't recommend dialing but it wasn't against the law to. It's not a phone in hand =ticket. It's talking and texting law right? I got kaiser on speed dial and got pulled over. Fought ticket stating I was calling my doctor and asked them to describe what constituted an emergency. It was thrown out. Gotta love vague laws
Old 07-07-2012, 9:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nanny state laws suck.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 07-07-2012, 9:49 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Others have suggested that I try and fight the ticket, in the hopes that the officer won't show up. It's VC 23123A, it states the first time offense is 20$-50$? Not 160$
The "base fine" for first offense is $20. [VC 23123(b)]
Then you add the court fees and tax.

Since, the electronic device was in your hand (even though it was on speaker), it's still a violation. The device needs to be "hands free", meaning can't be in your hand. In order to not be a violation, when on speaker the phone should be on the dashboard/seat next to you/anywhere but in your hand.

Vehicle Code 23123
(a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using a wireless telephone unless that telephone is specifically designed and configured to allow hands-free listening and talking, and is used in that manner while driving.
(b) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a base fine of twenty dollars ($20) for a first offense and fifty dollars ($50) for each subsequent offense.
(c) This section does not apply to a person using a wireless telephone for emergency purposes, including, but not limited to, an emergency call to a law enforcement agency, health care provider, fire department, or other emergency services agency or entity.
(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.
(e) This section does not apply to a person driving a schoolbus or transit vehicle that is subject to Section 23125.
(f) This section does not apply to a person while driving a motor vehicle on private property.
(g) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2011.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-07-2012, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
The "base fine" for first offense is $20. [VC 23123(b)]
Then you add the court fees and tax.

Since, the electronic device was in your hand (even though it was on speaker), it's still a violation. The device needs to be "hands free", meaning can't be in your hand. In order to not be a violation, when on speaker the phone should be on the dashboard/seat next to you/anywhere but in your hand.

Vehicle Code 23123
(a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using a wireless telephone unless that telephone is specifically designed and configured to allow hands-free listening and talking, and is used in that manner while driving.
(b) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a base fine of twenty dollars ($20) for a first offense and fifty dollars ($50) for each subsequent offense.
(c) This section does not apply to a person using a wireless telephone for emergency purposes, including, but not limited to, an emergency call to a law enforcement agency, health care provider, fire department, or other emergency services agency or entity.
(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.
(e) This section does not apply to a person driving a schoolbus or transit vehicle that is subject to Section 23125.
(f) This section does not apply to a person while driving a motor vehicle on private property.
Yes, your right. The way the law is defined, at any time a device that is used for wireless telephone falls within section C. Soon as you use your hands that translates into probable cause for a traffic stop.
Old 07-07-2012, 9:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dmv does go into detail about the dialing is not recommended but not illegal here http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/
Old 07-07-2012, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john67elco View Post
Dmv does go into detail about the dialing is not recommended but not illegal here http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/
" Q: Are there exceptions for dialing?
A: This law does not prohibit reading, selecting or entering a phone number, or name in an electronic wireless device for the purpose of making or receiving a phone call. Drivers are strongly urged not to enter a phone number while driving
." hmmmmm.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Since, the electronic device was in your hand (even though it was on speaker), it's still a violation. Vehicle Code 23123
For using the phone yes hands free. But to you or any cop out there phone in hand=ticket right?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

While it is not a point on the system, but they do show up on your DMV record and it can be effectively the same as a point on your license. If you are in an accident and sued, and your DMV records is examined, cell phone tickets can beat you up in your case.

For this reason many employers (and I have heard some insurers) are now counting cell phone tickets the same as other moving violations for assessing potential and current drivers.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway
Old 07-08-2012, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

Which sucks more because you can't even go to traffic school to get out of it so this ticket, if it is used against you by insurers, would give you no defense.