Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-03-2012, 9:21 PM

Default advice on sheriff written test please

So I started looking today for openings for sheriff departments and found out there was a test date today, so I said OK might as well give it a go. I only had about an hour when I found the posting. So I went down there and took the test not knowing what it would be like at all and I failed unfortunately. When I was getting my pass fail score though he told me that I was incredibly close to passing and that it was probably just a few vocabulary questions that I missed. Well I was pretty bummed but I literally had zero time to prepare so my question is, is there a pretest that I can study now or some resources to help me out for the next test? Any info would be appreciated greatly. Thanks all.

Last edited by Warguy; 07-04-2012 at 8:00 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 9:32 PM

Those tests vary... some agencies will have an observation portion, others will have a "fill in the missing words" section, phone #/SSN comparison, etc. Either way, the key to passing is reading comprehension. Try to see if you can find some testing books in the bookstore that have a reading comprehension section that matches similar to what you ran into (do it soon while they're still fresh in your head).

One strategy is to read the questions first and then go into the article. It *can* save you time by allowing you to ignore all the fluff you don't need to know. When I say *can* - only if you have practice doing this. If you've never done it before you may end up wasting more time.

Think about the part that was toughest for you and focus on that.
If you know what you're weak on, ask the forum those questions and you'll get better strategies to practice.
Old 07-03-2012, 9:35 PM

There are several books available for this sort of stuff. They should provide adequate study materials.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Check Barns and Nobles book store because they usually have police written test study guide books for sale.
Old 07-04-2012, 4:08 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not sure how much studying helps. IIRC most of it was general knowledge and the rest was reading comprehension. It helps if you have a strong English background...but no more than needed for a strong SAT

I remember there being a section on following directions, but that is just spatial orientation. Another section tested the ability to read and understand code sections...so punctuation would be your friend.

Most of it was the ability to understand and express in English, as that is what most of your career will be judge on
Old 07-04-2012, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
I'm not sure how much studying helps. IIRC most of it was general knowledge and the rest was reading comprehension. It helps if you have a strong English background...but no more than needed for a strong SAT

I remember there being a section on following directions, but that is just spatial orientation. Another section tested the ability to read and understand code sections...so punctuation would be your friend.

Most of it was the ability to understand and express in English, as that is what most of your career will be judge on
Ya he told me that I was so close that I probably missed a few vocabulary questions. It was a timed 10 min section and I thought I was doing great, there were a few that I had some trouble on but I was flying through it, you had to do as many as you could in 10 min and I don't know if it hurt me because I was going fast and answered more wrong then if I just would have taken my time and not gotten as far...idk
Old 07-04-2012, 5:06 PM

I thought the test was fairly simple and only had a problem on a few questions, I thought I was going to pass for sure when I finished...but was just out of reach.
Old 07-04-2012, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

LASD has sample questions on their web site.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 07-04-2012, 5:34 PM

Riverside's test is different from any other that you will take. You now know what it is like and can prepare yourself. Don't feel bad because quite a few people fail that test.

Did you check DST and CD? They have different passing levels.
Old 07-04-2012, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warguy View Post
Ya he told me that I was so close that I probably missed a few vocabulary questions. It was a timed 10 min section and I thought I was doing great, there were a few that I had some trouble on but I was flying through it, you had to do as many as you could in 10 min and I don't know if it hurt me because I was going fast and answered more wrong then if I just would have taken my time and not gotten as far...idk
If they don't announce it, you should ask before the test starts.

The latest promotional test I've taken have all counted the number of incorrect answers against your correct answers. Guys who rushed through the test could end up with a negative score in a section that would count against the total score