Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I am here lurking in the thread, up north of the bay too.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 04-08-2011, 6:08 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Isn't circle S closed on Tuesdays or something like that? I wonder if they'd be willing to open up for a fee, paid by us, on that normally closed day, with more lax rules?

Anybody know the guy that owns it, or the folks that work there? I've only driven past, never stopped or shot there.
Old 04-12-2011, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenawhile View Post
As far as circle s being the only option on the table, it would be nice to do it somewhere a little less regulated
I agree, I've never been much of a fan of regulated ranges like that. What's the deal with Pine Flat rd? Is there not another place around that area we can go?
Old 04-12-2011, 7:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Pretty sure those are LE only days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Isn't circle S closed on Tuesdays or something like that? I wonder if they'd be willing to open up for a fee, paid by us, on that normally closed day, with more lax rules?

Anybody know the guy that owns it, or the folks that work there? I've only driven past, never stopped or shot there.
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Any more word on Pine flat road and if it actually is BLM, hate to get popped for being out there, but it's clearly well used. Going to head out on Monday morning, any dual sport riders wanna tag along? I'll look for some semblance of a sign with any info or phone #'s posted.
Old 04-15-2011, 9:50 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I was up there yesterday. No phone numbers posted. There are "No Shooting" signs posted that people tore the "No" portion off of.

I'd stay clear of the fenced and gated portion and go all the way to the top, or that dirt road almost at the top that goes out past the power line tower.

And pack out more than you take in, as there's WAY too much trash still up there. I've run into the local DFG guy up there and he was very pro-shooting and pro-2A, but mentioned that littering and trash was a big problem.
Old 04-16-2011, 6:16 PM

Thanks for the info spyder, you said you spoke with a DFG guy. Did he say explicitly that we are not allowed to shoot up there? Also, tell me more about the dirt roads and powerlines and such, roads aren't a problem for me, I'm mostly just worried about discharging firearms in a prohibited area.
Old 04-16-2011, 9:15 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I don't know where the road goes, I just parked under the power lines. As far as I can figure out, the land at the top, behind the gate on the right, is BLM land. Double check your maps, or online, to be sure.

The gate in the middle and on the left are definitely private land owned by CalPine. I need to find a good BLM map, with GPS coordinates would be nice.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 AM

According to this online map, the Pine Flat location is within BLM land.
Open the link: http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

Use the Lat/Long icon and copy in: 38.753696, -122.768644, as provided earlier in the thread.

Looks like a fair bit of BLM land out there but not sure how to verify where you are as I don't have a GIS. Any takers want to stake out a known BLM area?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM

I live a few miles from here, was up in Ukiah a week or so ago and stopped by the BLM office for a map. There's a ton on BLM land out Pine Flat Rd, that whole area near the pond, and bunch of land past the gates at the end of the road.

I went up there to the shooting area by the pond twice since I got the map, and the second time we had a truck show up, park by our car, then a guy came over to the shooting area to warn us that we shouldn't be there, and to let us know where he'll be shooting so were not shooting at him and his buddy. He said the spot down the hill they were going doesn't allow shooting either, but anywhere past the gate (not sure which of the 3) at the end is ok. We left a minute later.

I called the BLM office a few days later to really be sure, and talked to a lady who said if I want to go target shooting I need to go all the way to Cow Mountain, which ends up a 100+ mile round trip for me. She said 'CalPine opens one of those 3 gates during deer rifle season but it's not for target shooting'. I was a bit disappointed and surprised at this, as I was under the impression if it's BLM land and you're the legal distance from the road and any houses, either hunting or target shooting is permitted as long as you only use paper targets and you carry out any trash you brought in. Any time I asked for more details or explanation she was quick to tell me "I can forward you to law enforcement" which I chose not to do. I guess it'd be good to give a call to the SoCo Sheriff and ask their opinion, I'm guessing it'll be something along the lines of saying to call BLM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Thumbs down Circle S.... psshhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelZ3R0 View Post
Yeah like i said i really like the people who actually work it they are cool. But one of my bad/weird experience was literally he yelled someone for touching there gun when they where checking guns for people to go down range perfectly fine that's the rules. every one goes down range except me and a few other people. he actually picks up his .22 revolver and starts showing some one WHILE PEOPLE ARE DOWN RANGE. THEN HE AIMS IT DOWN RANGE.given he aimed it the pistol berm people where out beyond the berm his workers started to yell at him that people where down range put the pistol down. he looks at him like only other people have to follow the safety rules. i don't know how you feel about that but if i would have been down range i would have been F***ing pissed about him touching a gun.
My fun experience with Circle S was placing targets down range and hearing the Range Master yell "line is hot" WTF!!!! he can't see a 200# guy standing down range!!!!!

I started running towards the side & shooters were yelling "NO SHOOTING man down range"

Will I still shoot there? yes because thats the only place close.....but when I do I'll be the first guy out setting targets and damn straight I'll be the first guy back!

My High power Rocketry hobby;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAigaiK0YBI
------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-10-2011, 7:02 PM

Any up dates? This place looks cool. Seems like im about 2 years late though..
Old 07-10-2011, 8:45 PM

It happens.

BTW, your "WTF: Stupid B Itch" video is OUTSTANDING. Good find

FS: German Desert / Tropical Camo uniform items HERE
Old 07-14-2011, 6:56 PM

I've been shooting at Circle S since the mid-80's. Never had a problem except for getting yelled at for rapid fire. The owners dad was cool. He used to come down from the house on his quad with a box of kittens and try to find them homes. He was really up there in years last time I saw him, maybe 10 years ago. I imagine he's passed on.
The worst thing about Circle S is the wind. It can really blow through there depending on the time of day. I always try to get there between 8 & 9 before the wind starts kicking up.
Old 09-05-2011, 5:54 PM

First Spot is CLOSED with Heavy Equipment there now.. not sure what but it listed Ukhia BLM office on the sign...

Last edited by pigman; 09-07-2011 at 5:52 PM..
Old 09-05-2011, 6:11 PM

Both company's list "range development" as a skill... maybe a new range?

If you cant see the pics, right click on them.
Old 09-05-2011, 9:58 PM

The range development, likely means cattle range (clearing land, planting fields). I think we may get more results either petitioning BLM to open up an area for target shooting or by getting permission from calpine (some residents get to use the land leased by calpine to hunt). A clean up is always a good idea.The restoration project could be related to the old mercury mines, the Contact mine and Sonoma Mercury Mine, located in the area on BLM land. Might be extralegal to shoot there, some people do it anyways and everyone they come in contact with seems okay with it, so far.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:26 AM

I contacted the Ukhia office, told me it sounds like a mine clean up, so when they are done, maybe back to shooting? Looks like they made it easier to access with the clean up, hope the gate goes way though.....
Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Found the docs related to the project.... here. From the main doc comes the following:

Quote:
2.6 Surrounding Land Use and Populations
The nearest city to the Site is Healdsburg, approximately 11 miles southwest.
Healdsburg has a population of approximately 11,000. There are several thermal
spring resorts within 5 to 10 miles northwest of the Site. The Site is bordered by
several mines, including the Socrates Mine to the north and Crystal Mine to the
west. Neither of these mines is currently in operation. There is no evidence that
any mining or processing activities have taken place since the mid 1900s. The
primary land use in the immediate vicinity of the Site is recreation. Spent shells,
aluminum cans, and makeshift targets located at the Sonoma Mine indicate the
area is used for target shooting.
The entire area on the slope at the old shooting site does appear to be in BLM control going by their mapping. A site map of the shooting area is on page 3-6 of the Contact document.

I have a hunch we'd have to gather up and ask BLM if we can go back to shooting there once the project is done. Might also be worthwhile to inquire on potential hunting opportunity there for those of that persuasion.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 09-06-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Old 06-21-2012, 7:36 AM

I was just at the old site and it all gone and under construction. It looks like there making a vineyard.
Old 06-27-2012, 8:20 AM

I met someone camping that said he shoots out there regularly. Is all of it pretty much off limits now? It would be nice if there was something, its pretty close to me.
Old 07-01-2012, 9:43 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I go up their once in a while to peek around. The BLM has put up no shooting signs on all of it. During deer season, it is heavily hunted, and I see quail hunters once in a while. The folks that shoot out there now are probably going to get run off if they get contacted by LEO now, as BLM has made it clear they don't want target shooting up there. I'd still be interested in getting together a group of people to talk to BLM about a regular volunteer cleanup to keep it open for shooting.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You should not waste your time about Pine Flay anymore. They gave the land away to a private conservatory group so no more BLM land.

jerry
Old 07-01-2012, 7:39 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

The old shooting spot has changed hands but the area behind the gate at the top, which leads out to Moon Rock when it's open, is still BLM.
Old 07-03-2012, 8:29 AM

I would be willing to clean up if it where not a lost cause, but sounds like it is. Its less than 30 minutes from my house, and sounds like a fun drive in the S4.
Old 12-29-2012, 3:56 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I'm working on something on this, and it is VERY promising. PM me if you're interested in helping. Also going to mention it in the 707 Banter thread.
Old 01-15-2013, 6:39 PM
Freedom Dealer
CGN Contributor

I've been hearing rumors that a actual range may be in the works past the gates up there in the foreseeable future?

Any information regarding to this?
Old 01-15-2013, 7:32 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

You coming to pizza and beer tomorrow? I'll give all KINDS of interesting details.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Freedom Dealer
CGN Contributor

Yup I'll be there Spyder.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
CGSSA Wine Country Chapt.
CGN Contributor

Update for those that do not read the 707 Banter thread... ( Why on Earth wouldn't you?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
ALRIGHT FOLKS... 2/2/13 9:30 AM AT BIG JOHN'S MARKET, ON THE CORNER OF DRY CREEK ROAD AND HEALDSBURG AVE., IN HEALDSBURG.

That'll be the meeting place, and we can head up the hill from there. Bring trash bags, a rake, maybe a shovel or two, and some cash to help pay for dump fees. THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE that in the future, I can get dump fees covered by a variety of organizations, grants, and agreements with state and federal agencies.

I'll throw a bunch of drinks in an ice chest. Make sure to bring a sack lunch of some kind since I don't think we got the BBQ thing figured out. I'll have a bunch of good info for everyone during lunch that I got from BLM today, and we can plan future events.

Bring a camera, so we can get before and after photos too. The BLM Ranger is way excited about the whole thing, and wants to put it in their newsletter for some local recognition. He also asked if we wanted to put it in the local SR paper for some publicity, but figured I'd talk to you guys about that first and get a concensus.
I told him that we may not want to do that, to keep "undesirables" from finding out the spot, and turning it in to a trash dump again.

There are people who live up there too, so please be respectful of their homes, driveways, and privacy.

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFO!!!
I'lll have a pretty decent first aid kit, just in case. Make sure you bring any medicines you may need . No drinking booze, no drugs. It's a long narrow winding road and I don't want anyone driving off of it.

IT'S A VERY POPULAR ROAD FOR BIKES. No matter how you feel about road bikes, be very careful to not run them over. There's usually quite a few of them, and there are LOTS of narrow spots at blind corners, and they're often coming down the hill at high speeds. The last thing we want is for our first big semi-organized event to be a catastrophe.

Besides that, let's go get some work done, have fun, and keep public lands public! See ya'll Saturday morning.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-07-2013, 6:51 AM

Were is this place located exactly?
Old 02-23-2013, 9:19 AM

Hi, can I join you the next time you are planning a clean up?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 PM

never been to Pine Flat Road I see it on google maps but where does everyone actually shoot at. ie location(end of road, past end of road,left, right, longitude and latitude )

Last edited by AngelZ3R0; 02-23-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 6:14 PM

The very end of the road. When you see a big rusted gate and a lot of brass/shells on the ground you've hit the end.
Old 03-23-2013, 7:59 AM

At the last Pine Flats range cleanup day there was talk of another cleanup day in late March. It's now getting to be late March, anyone else up for a next cleanup?
Old 03-23-2013, 3:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The 30th is the next cleanup
Old 03-23-2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
I am not too far and might be up for that, one question though is being sure about what this land is? Is it for sure BLM?
Ditto this!
Old 03-23-2013, 4:40 PM

Great thread. Excited to help out in the future. Gotta look up this potential indoor tang towards Oakmont that was mentioned. I could walk there from my house.
Old 03-23-2013, 6:31 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Not really sure on the time, but this next Saturday, March 30th, will be the next cleanup. If you don't meet us at the bottom, just get up there around 1030 or 11 and we'll be there.

I went up today and it's looking pretty good. Those engine blocks are still at the bottom of the hill and we'll winch them out, and we'll clean up a few other spots a little further down the road, which are NOT legal shooting spots, but people have abused them anyway.

And as before, bring some toys to shoot after we're done cleaning!

There's a decent chance that BLM is going to be bringing up a dumpster to throw all the trash in. CA Fish and Wildlife and BLM with both have LEO up there to help get their hands dirty with us too, and from the ones I've met they're pretty good guys, very pro gun, and don't have any interest in hassling anyone over their out-of-the-ordinary guns...other than wanting to shoot them!
Old 03-25-2013, 9:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up - Ill be up there on Saturday to help with the cleanup and do some shootin.