Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Sheriff = Dirty boots

PD = Clean boots

When working for the Sheriff's Dept., it seem like my boots were always either dusty, or muddy. While in the city working for the PD, boots stayed mostly clean. Call me crazy.
Old 06-01-2012, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

CHP has been good to me, they always want to talk about the stuff we see in AZ....

The boots comment is spot on!

Our shoulder patches have cotton (main crop of the cty), cactus (its AZ desert we live in) and the superstition mtns (landmark in the cty). I'm damn proud to wear it.

Besides all that, city / county / DPS = one team, one fight.....
Old 06-02-2012, 7:02 AM

Tagged
Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

I have no problems helping stranded citizens with a lot of things. I don't do tires, but that's because I am too lazy, but I will gladly call AAA or Roadside Assistance for them and stand by while they get there if it's a bad neighborhood.

I've helped with people with low air in tires, blown headlight, and other types of maladies.

After all, the old lady you help is probably someone's mother and they will be very grateful some nice police officer made sure she got home okay. I know I would be grateful if any of you helped my mom when she has a roadside emergency.
Old 06-03-2012, 1:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I have no problems helping stranded citizens with a lot of things. I don't do tires, but that's because I am too lazy, but I will gladly call AAA or Roadside Assistance for them and stand by while they get there if it's a bad neighborhood.

I've helped with people with low air in tires, blown headlight, and other types of maladies.

After all, the old lady you help is probably someone's mother and they will be very grateful some nice police officer made sure she got home okay. I know I would be grateful if any of you helped my mom when she has a roadside emergency.
It's all about helping the young ladies out, esp. the college girls...... I mean, that's somebody's daughter and all that.......
Old 06-03-2012, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman13 View Post
It's all about helping the young ladies out, esp. the college girls...... I mean, that's somebody's daughter and all that.......
I don't mind helping some of the moms around here either... some of these SoCal mothers take really good care of themselves.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 PM

Escalon pd patch is pretty with pink trees(almond trees in bloom are pink) And a river running thru it. We had a guy in academy hired by them, we used to mess with him and call it narnia pd.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Here's more:

Old 06-04-2012, 8:46 AM

Told ya, looks like Narnia to me. And what's with the deal with a ball on his nose lol.
Old 06-04-2012, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

The seal is balancing a ball on the nose like in the circus.
Old 06-04-2012, 2:37 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hey everyone, please stay on topic and forget about the patch discussions. I know I'm responsible for that with my OCSD story, so mea culpa, but I think we have gone OT enough. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2012, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Another dreaded (what could this guy know), 'I am not a LEO' response.

I have done a ride along with both PD and Sheriff.

Even though we had no calls for service while with the Sheriff (everyone was good that night). I had more fun with the Sheriff Deputy. They have a lot more terrain to cover and seems like more freedom (as in not confined to one city). We went all over the place and made lots of contacts.

If I were to pick one (and I am not becoming a LEO of any type), I would pick the Sheriff Office. Not because I think they are better than PD or CHP, just because it seems like it would be more my style.

Seems like there are a lot really good pros and cons listed on here for both sides by guys that have done it all.
Old 06-11-2012, 8:09 PM

I lateralled from an SO to a city PD. It was a mistake for the most part. My pay is better but thats the only plus. My SO was close to 1000 sworn my current PD is about 75. Less promotions, specialty assignments and such. I like a bigger department myself..
Old 06-11-2012, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

That goes for any department of different sizes, not necessarily a PD v. SD thing. LAPD has quite a bit of opportunity, as does NYPD or Chicago PD because they are bigger than most Sheriff's Departments.
Old 06-28-2012, 5:06 PM

Thats the truth, and Im a retired Deputy. CHP are fighters when you need help,(then they quietly leave without a report!)
Old 07-01-2012, 8:40 AM

CHP has to write pages and pages of traffic reports.

Sheriff = you can do almost every possible position in law enforcement; custody, court, patrol, swat, k9, air patrol, marine patrol, internal affair, transport, traffic/motorcycle patrol, etc etc etc.

Police = generally- patrol, traffic/motorcycle patrol, swat, k9, detective, and community services

CHP = CHP

Any large agency will get you seniority quickly.

Last edited by caideN; 07-01-2012 at 8:47 AM..
Old 07-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caideN View Post
CHP has to write pages and pages of traffic reports.
So do motor units or traffic units in any semi-major department, SO or PD... or if you are working a smaller PD and on patrol, guess what, buddy, you're it. You get to play with all the TA/TC forms and diagrams.

Quote:
Sheriff = you can do almost every possible position in law enforcement; custody, court, patrol, swat, k9, air patrol, marine patrol, internal affair, transport, traffic/motorcycle patrol, etc etc etc.
You are thinking of the bigger SO's like LA, but there are also tons of smaller SO's which barely run the courts and jails, and sometimes not even that if the County Marshal is running the courts. Granted, a SO has a bigger area of jurisdiction but that doesn't always mean they have all the rest of the stuff to go with it.

Quote:
Police = generally- patrol, traffic/motorcycle patrol, swat, k9, detective, and community services
Depending again on location and size, PD's can have everything too like dive teams, maritime units, interpol, counter terrorism, etc. The biggest LE departments are PD's, not SO's. NYPD (~36,000 sworn). Chicago PD (~13,000 sworn). LAPD (~10,000 sworn). Compare that to one of the biggest Sheriff's Departments in the country, LASD (~7,500 sworn).

LAPD has their own jail division and property section and vehicle fleet maintenance and armorer and everything. All have their own aviation wing for air support. When you think about the size of their jurisdiction, it's awesome how much manpower and resources they have concentrated in the relatively smaller area compared to a county wide SO.

Last edited by Notorious; 07-02-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Old 07-01-2012, 1:51 PM
Super Moderator

LASD actually has almost 10K sworn deputies and is the largest sheriff's dept. in the world. I just wanted to correct the above, but I certainly agree with what you said about NY and Chicago, as their depts. are very large.
Old 07-01-2012, 3:10 PM
Banned

Never worked for them, but the San Diego County SO is an impressive department. I would love to reserve for them or get on their off-road vehicle team.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
LASD actually has almost 10K sworn deputies and is the largest sheriff's dept. in the world. I just wanted to correct the above, but I certainly agree with what you said about NY and Chicago, as their depts. are very large.
Duly noted. Glad to hear the LASD getting their numbers up because they've been trying for a long time and I heard their academies lately have been held up forever due to budget.
Old 07-02-2012, 1:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Duly noted. Glad to hear the LASD getting their numbers up because they've been trying for a long time and I heard their academies lately have been held up forever due to budget.
IIRC, Ron (Ron-solo) a friend of mine, said in an earlier thread they were running 2 classes at the main academy in Whittier and either going to have one at the West end of the county or had already begun it. They are trying to higher a large number (1300 or sounds like the number I recall) in the next year or two.

That will help the jail deputies who have been there for a interminably long time, to finally get to patrol. That should be a good morale booster as I know some members tend to go to other depts. due to the long stay in the jails.
Old 07-03-2012, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Sheriff = Dirty boots

PD = Clean boots

There is a lot of truth to this.

I'd say as a general rule, with an SO you have to be able to talk to people a bit better. When you're in a city and it goes to crap you can very quickly have a dogpile of fellow cops. On the other hand, when your closest cover unit is a 1/2 hour code-3 run away, you really learn the gift of gab. Your mouth becomes your most effective weapon and you learn to talk down situations that may have resulted in fights had you lacked some communication skills. Because of this we often have people tell us that deputies have more respect than police officers among people who are not always cop friendly.

I don't mean to make it sound like deputies rock and city cops are bullies that only like to fight. Far from it. I'm just saying that this feedback about deputies being more respectful towards people on the street comes often enough that there may be some small ring of truth to it (generalizations, of course).

As a side note about the jail topic. Many SO's don't have deputies working the jails, they have a separate class of officers (corrections officers) that perform that function. In our department when you are hired as a deputy you go straight to the street for a few years and then every so often rotate through court security as a bailiff for a year.

There are many advantages and disadvantages to both types of job (PD and SO). For instance I'd love to work motors, but motors are typically a traffic enforcement function and my department doesn't do traffic, so I'll never have that opportunity. But on the flip side, I absolutely love SAR, and that is a position available with an SO that PD's don't have.

The best thing to do is analyze what type of work you think you'd enjoy, and then see if the agency offers it. Also check about moral (this can be tough, but a ride-a-long might be the best way to do it). For example, during the years I've worked for my SO, we've had well over 10 people lateral over from PD's in our county (probably a lot more, these are just off the top of my head), and in the same time period not one of our folks has left to work for a PD in our county. And our pay is not the highest. That speaks volumes about moral.

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 07-03-2012 at 3:44 AM..