Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-12-2012, 5:08 AM

Default Persian 8mm

Hey guys, I know that this stuff has been the subject of discussion on this forum again but I was hoping to bring it up once more because I find myself getting drawn into possibly buying a case from Samco because of the low price. However I have heard many negative reviews of this ammo regarding duds and hang fires. Even JGsales advertises that such occurrences are to be expected. Do any of you have first hand experience with Persian 8mm? Care to share your experience?
Old 06-12-2012, 6:20 AM

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...0s-8mm-Iranian

Here is a forum answer on it. J&G has it and my friend test shoots it. He said around 20-30% were click booms on 2 or 3 different cases. He is the one who did the testing for them. Most people would buy it for component value. It is 30's made light ball for the Persian Mausers.
Old 06-12-2012, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie View Post
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...0s-8mm-Iranian

Here is a forum answer on it. J&G has it and my friend test shoots it. He said around 20-30% were click booms on 2 or 3 different cases. He is the one who did the testing for them. Most people would buy it for component value. It is 30's made light ball for the Persian Mausers.
This is roughly the story I've been hearing all over. I'd really like to try a few rounds for my personal satisfaction. But I don't feel like spending $.35 a round on ammo that has a bad reputation of not going off half the time.
Old 06-12-2012, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally M. View Post
This is roughly the story I've been hearing all over. I'd really like to try a few rounds for my personal satisfaction. But I don't feel like spending $.35 a round on ammo that has a bad reputation of not going off half the time.
That's the consensus I've been hearing, as well...

I like the Yugo surplus but it has a reputation as being about the least precise of all of the surplus 8mm. The steel-cased (...Romanian, is it? ) 8mm is supposed to be the most reliable/accurate of the lot of them. I've actually never shot it myself, though.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 AM

Where is steel cased Romanian 8mm sold (or for that matter inexpensive Turkish)? I've been looking at all the C&R sites I can find, and I've only been seeing 50's Yugo, M76 "sniper" Yugo, and Persian. I'm starting to worry that all the surplus 8mm is drying up just as I'm getting into Mausers!
Old 06-12-2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
Where is steel cased Romanian 8mm sold (or for that matter inexpensive Turkish)? I've been looking at all the C&R sites I can find, and I've only been seeing 50's Yugo, M76 "sniper" Yugo, and Persian. I'm starting to worry that all the surplus 8mm is drying up just as I'm getting into Mausers!
You and I are suffering from the same fate my friend. Its terribly unfortunate.
Old 06-12-2012, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

There's some on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=291223886
Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 AM

Yikes! At the "buy now" price of $175 + $25 shipping for 340 rounds, that's $.59/round!

It makes me queasy seeing threads from as recently as 2006 in which people speak of cases of surplus 8mm for $35.00 when I just dropped $180.00 for the same.
Old 06-13-2012, 1:48 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm tellin ya, you guys should pick up reloading. Once you've got the gear, you can turn out high quality rounds for roughly the same price as surplus stuff. The difference is, it's not corrosive, and can be much more accurate once you figure out a good load for your rifle.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 06-13-2012, 3:02 AM

Bought some of that Persian from J&G when I was there getting my Tokarev, P1 and Nagant. I have shot some of it and its not bad, not great but also not bad. Yes there are a few rounds that will click boom, but I found it funnier than as a bad thing. Cases tended to get stuck in my chamber after being fired, but I don't know if its my gun or the rounds. As for accuracy, I shot it 400yrds and hit my target with no problems. I'd be willing to buy more when I run out, it's decent enough for plinking.
Old 06-13-2012, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
I'm tellin ya, you guys should pick up reloading. Once you've got the gear, you can turn out high quality rounds for roughly the same price as surplus stuff. The difference is, it's not corrosive, and can be much more accurate once you figure out a good load for your rifle.
I don't know about them, but I actually do reload. I just get bogged down reloading other calibers, so I appreciate good, cheap suplus for my C&R rifles.

Honestly guys, the Yugo stuff isn't that bad and if you do have reloading equipment, you can even "accurize" the surplus ammo. 990rnds for $200 is a pretty good price.
Old 06-13-2012, 9:28 AM

Gosh surplus ammo is going up. Does anyone have any of the Persian 8mm that would be willing to let me buy or "borrow" a couple of rounds to test and see what its really all about?
Old 06-13-2012, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally M. View Post
Gosh surplus ammo is going up. Does anyone have any of the Persian 8mm that would be willing to let me buy or "borrow" a couple of rounds to test and see what its really all about?
I mean, it's going to go "bang" just like any other surplus. Accuracy will be fair, to marginal and you might have a few FTFs in the pile. The question is: Why buy the Persian for 35 cents a round when you can get the Yugo for 20 cents a round, with similar performance?

From all accounts, the Persian ammo is not worth it.
Old 06-14-2012, 8:20 PM

After following ammo forums for the last ten years there seems to be a general consensus on what surplus ammo not to buy. The top four are French, Indian, Pakistanian and anything from the middle east except for Turkish 8mm or Israeli ammo.

Some people think the Turkish 8mm is a hot load. If they think that is a hot load maybe they should just stick with .22cal.