Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 PM

Default Anyone interested in an ar-15 armorers course in SoCal?

Hey folks,

I have been getting a lot of calls about assembly questions and problems as well as questions. Figured I would try and put something together maybe for those folks on a budget I could include a take home rifle in the price let me know what ya'll think

-dirk

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 AM

what do you mean by take home rifle???
Old 06-14-2012, 12:07 AM

I mean making the course like 750 bucks and the at rifle you build you will get to take home.

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Here's a link to a great AR Armorer course.
http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html lol
Old 06-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Banned

why not just watch youtube videos and buy an 80% lower? that's what i did.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 AM

but the op is giving the opportunity to have a handson course where you build the rifle in class and the rifle is yours; of course the dros and such are taken into consideration..

what would $750 get a customer in terms of a build?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Banned

watching youtube vids gave me hands on experience with building an AR the way I wanted it for about the same price. I just don't see the advantage in taking a course when I can do it myself without DROS and paperwork.
Old 06-14-2012, 5:27 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

I learned to build an AR using the USMC Tech manual in 1992 pre web invention.

I don't understand these things are like adult legos. They snap together (Damn near) Very few tools are needed and with the price of uppers the way they are why build an upper? Buy one prebuilt and save save your time. then you only have the lower to assemble and takes about twenty minutes???

I think "those folks on a budget" will think $750 is to much to handle.

People that go to a class like this are going to want to pay between $50 and $150 per head and the top price your better include lunch. But I sure as hell wouldn't want a bunch of work station rifles where J.S. the rag man beats my rifle into submission.
I like the idea of a take home rifle but i seriously believe that most just won't spent the money or don't have it.
The other thing is if they can't build a rifle with all the help that is on the web and in books maybe they shouldn't be trying. I'm seeing a lot of apathy and lack of respect over all when it comes to the safety of firearms in general. Trigger jobs is a big one. what in the world would give someone the idea that they a zero experience newbie should be screwing with the trigger on their rifle? It's a total lack of respect for the weapon. these things are being treated like toys and guys are screwing with parts they have no idea how they operate.

Alright I'm off my soap box.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 06-14-2012, 7:57 AM

SoCal: while this is a great build guide for a lower it is by no means an armorers course. I am talking about a complete rifle compensator to stock rail to mag well, most guys don't understand the nuances and complexities of the ar platform rifle. This would be an ar intensive that would be threefold 1. "How to" build a complete rifle 2. Basic Gunsmithing and common problems experienced and how to fix'em 3. At some point with this wonderful country of ours possibly speed wobbles into the dirt having some essential skills being able to fix your chosen means of protection is important to the layman.

S470fm: god bless you if you feel you can learn absolutely everything from other lay folk on "the tube" I'm talking an exchange of nformation from a guy who builds ar's for a living that's what I do.i can show you some great tricks of the trade saving you time and money.

Hakoomay: what would be included ideally would be a "patrolman" style rifle quality of course.
A small armorers tool set
A workbench mat
And som primo intel on how to troubleshoot,repair,fix, sourcing parts,and assembly of a complete rifle sound good?

S470fm: as I said before this takes hours upon hours and nothing wrong with that but then you still have to spend the money. And honestly that seems sort of defective and I'm sorry there is no collection out there of videos that has start to finish how to build from the ground up. And most manufacturers don't give a rifle but still charge even more than the 750 bucks trust I know I have been to most of those armorers courses

Kc: all great points it's these specific reasons that the necessity of the class was born. I was getting calls from folks expecting me to tell them how to fix the head spacing on a bad barrel I nearly killed over that people were trying these sort of things without being properly trained. Also some folks don't or simply can't understand the videos because they simply don't learn that way. Not trying to break people I can throw up a $150 class ( with sandwiches apparently) just thought it might be nice to include the rifle as well.

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalarms1 View Post
SoCal: while this is a great build guide for a lower it is by no means an armorers course. I am talking about a complete rifle compensator to stock rail to mag well, most guys don't understand the nuances and complexities of the ar platform rifle.
ummm, yeah, okay. I don't think you're giving "most guys" much credit.

Just seems like a lot of money for information you can find readily available online.

Last edited by socalbowhunter; 06-14-2012 at 1:06 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

I wouldn't necessarily be interested in a package with a rifle (I have a spare stripped lower already I could bring), but I'd be interested in learning the basics of dis/ assembly along with proper cleaning/ lubing techniques etc.

The more I can learn, the better.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
dRama Lama Ding Dong
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Bunch of thread crappers and know-it-alls in here!

I'm sure many people like to understand more than just basic assembly, I mean have you ever really though about some of the components of these rifles? For example go to ar15barrells and see how indepth that guy can get about just one subject (gas system, barrel length etc). On the other side you have the "just spray it with mobile 1" crowd who just wants to here it go bang.

Probably start with a basic armorers course and hold a "take home" course twice a year or so, gives you time to let people save up and sign up. Sounds like you've got a great idea and you should roll with it!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbowhunter View Post
ummm, yeah, okay.
well besides our resident "master armorers" its good to see the positive feedback. i may follow your advice guys about a non-take home armorers class and your right guys there are certain parts of this rifle that are incredibly complex but the platform itself was meant to be simple but just knowing how to assemble a lower as some have implied here does not make you a gunsmith nor an armorer. thanks again for all the positive ideas also i will be doing some youtube videos as well as far as basic disassembly and cleaning as well to supplement our already awesome curriculum, we will be doing some other armorers courses like for glock,sig,colt,and remington a and the like (these will be non-take home courses easy guys) but continue the feedback i enjoy the dialog even the goofballs lol

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM

I think a class on the ins and out of the AR platform would be valuable. I have bulit several lowers and they are almost second nature. But I personally do not have to tools to fully build and assemble an upper. Not to mention the various gas system options.

750 seems high, but if you get a rifle at the end of the class that is a pretty good deal.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 PM

right on iconic, btw for those of you who do not know who we are im not surprised, we mainly deal with military, private sector and LE we started making ar-10's and sniper platform rifle's our cspp mod 3 is currently in rotation with the boston metro police department and the massachusetts state police swat teams as well as a few spec ops and socom guys. we got into the retail market in order to make some great stuff for civilians seeing a gap in the market with connection between ownership and responsible ownership.

a gun company shouldn't be looking for a follow-up sale because you don't know how to smith your own gun.

also we are 100% american made and not some type of "budget" rifle it's just that the mark up on these parts is ridiculous enough that we can offer the rifle and the parts and it be quality add tools and whatnot and the class and we make a little bit of money you get some quality gear and a rifle and you walk away knowing some stuff that will help be a more responsible gun owner. hope to hear from more of you guys.

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM

right on iconic, btw for those of you who do not know who we are im not surprised, we mainly deal with military, private sector and LE we started making ar-10's and sniper platform rifle's our cspp mod 3 is currently in rotation with the boston metro police department and the massachusetts state police swat teams as well as a few spec ops and socom guys. we got into the retail market in order to make some great stuff for civilians seeing a gap in the market with connection between ownership and responsible ownership.

a gun company shouldn't be looking for a follow-up sale because you don't know how to smith your own gun.

also we are 100% american made and not some type of "budget" rifle it's just that the mark up on these parts is ridiculous enough that we can offer the rifle and the parts and it be quality add tools and whatnot and the class and we make a little bit of money you get some quality gear and a rifle and you walk away knowing some stuff that will help be a more responsible gun owner. hope to hear from more of you guys.

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Quote:
750 seems high, but if you get a rifle at the end of the class that is a pretty good deal.
+1

I don't think I would take it as I've built a lot of ARs, but people who are just getting started with the platform might be interested. For 750, you should be able to realize a decent profit as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike82 View Post
+1

I don't think I would take it as I've built a lot of ARs, but people who are just getting started with the platform might be interested. For 750, you should be able to realize a decent profit as well.
mike remember we are not only providing an ar-15 rifle
armorers tool set (hammer,punches, armorers wrench)
and a work bench mat

we also have to pay for the certificates and whatnot and according to kcstott we need sandwiches too lol

thanks for your feedback

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 1:50 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

What about the guy that can't pour water out of a boot with instruction on the heel.

There are people out there that have the best of intentions but just absolutely not mess with a firearm.

Quote:
I agree but there should also be a point where you have to protect people from themselves.

Quote:
mike remember we are not only providing an ar-15 rifle
armorers tool set (hammer,punches, armorers wrench)
and a work bench mat

we also have to pay for the certificates and whatnot and according to kcstott we need sandwiches too lol
When was food ever a bad thing. You could do Pizza too I'm not picky

I'd do it just to score the tools and maybe pick up some finer points on the rifle.
But there is nothing complex about these rifles. At least to me there isn't. Now if you want to get into the gas system with gas port size and placement, bolt bounce, Buffer size a spring rates. Sure but that should be an advanced class As no weekend gunsmith should be screwing with the gas system in such a way that he needs to know this stuff.

Those boys should be doing plug and plat work only.

I would be interested in an armors class on the Glock, sig, colt, remington, Just to have something to wave in the face of these guys that think an armors class makes you a Gunsmith.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 06-14-2012, 2:04 PM

To a noob like me it sounds interesting.

I would pay something around that price anyway to get an AR, why not the knowledge and experience?

How would you deal with the dros and 10 day period?

Because $750 for the course and a rifle I thinks is fair, but $750 plus my previously bought lower doesn't sound as attractive...
Old 06-14-2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
What about the guy that can't pour water out of a boot with instruction on the heel.

There are people out there that have the best of intentions but just absolutely not mess with a firearm.

I agree but there should also be a point where you have to protect people from themselves.

When was food ever a bad thing. You could do Pizza too I'm not picky

I'd do it just to score the tools and maybe pick up some finer points on the rifle.
But there is nothing complex about these rifles. At least to me there isn't. Now if you want to get into the gas system with gas port size and placement, bolt bounce, Buffer size a spring rates. Sure but that should be an advanced class As no weekend gunsmith should be screwing with the gas system in such a way that he needs to know this stuff.

Those boys should be doing plug and plat work only.

I would be interested in an armors class on the Glock, sig, colt, remington, Just to have something to wave in the face of these guys that think an armors class makes you a Gunsmith.
kc i will be sure there is grub lol.

also cruz this is a complete rifle. the way it will work is we will start off by doing the form 4473 taking copies of your license and getting info then we will begin the class when the class is finished you should know exactly what time you should expect to pick up your rifle in 10 days and just come back and pick up your rifle nothing more to pay DROS FEE INCLUDED!!!!!! 750$ thats all except kc i have to feed him but im thinking im gonna get my wife to make him some of that southern fare ya'll californians enjoy so much! lol
anywho thankx a ton for all the help and suggestions guys and keep an eye out for the update i will update here and also make a new thread.

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 5:19 PM

I would be interested in an $150 gunsmithing or armor's class, just currently unable to afford a $750 course even if rifle is included.
Old 06-14-2012, 5:24 PM

I would interested
Old 06-14-2012, 5:39 PM

My wife is very pro education. I'll tell her that I won the rifle.

Any pics of the planned build? I might consider.
Old 06-14-2012, 5:55 PM

Let me know when and where. Interested in all courses
Old 06-14-2012, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymo View Post
Let me know when and where. Interested in all courses
+1 also interested too see whats gonna happen with this!
Old 06-14-2012, 6:44 PM

well guys here is a peek at the rifle chambered in 7.62 im in the middle of making a batch of compensators but you get the basic idea. and yes everything shown except the 30/10 rd. mag. it will come with a 10 rndr let me know what you think of this pic fellas

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 6:52 PM
Banned

how about a class on building your own AR from an 80% lower (including in-house CNC milling for the lower) and a parts list for people to pick and choose from. For example, do they want an 18" DMR, 7.5" pistol, 16" mid length, or standard carbine? I like the idea, but I think something like a buffet style course would be more appealing to a wider audience.

think about it, for X amount of dollars (this would vary depending on what a person would want the outcome to be) you can build a DI gun or a piston AR--oh and you want a nickle-boron plated BCG (*boom!* upcharge) and KAC sights on that bad boy too (another upcharge).

another thing to consider too is brand myopia--how many times have you seen a noob post what rifle they think they should get? there are TONS of options out there: from the low end DPMS, Olympic, Del-Ton, Double Star to the mid range: Colt, Sig, DD to high end: LWRC, HK, LaRue, Noveske; and on and on.

just my .02
Old 06-14-2012, 6:57 PM

So a 7.62 build is also an option??

Last edited by StratORcaster; 06-14-2012 at 6:59 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S470FM View Post
how about a class on building your own AR from an 80% lower (including in-house CNC milling for the lower) and a parts list for people to pick and choose from. For example, do they want an 18" DMR, 7.5" pistol, 16" mid length, or standard carbine? I like the idea, but I think something like a buffet style course would be more appealing to a wider audience.

think about it, for X amount of dollars (this would vary depending on what a person would want the outcome to be) you can build a DI gun or a piston AR--oh and you want a nickle-boron plated BCG (*boom!* upcharge) and KAC sights on that bad boy too (another upcharge).

another thing to consider too is brand myopia--how many times have you seen a noob post what rifle they think they should get? there are TONS of options out there: from the low end DPMS, Olympic, Del-Ton, Double Star to the mid range: Colt, Sig, DD to high end: LWRC, HK, LaRue, Noveske; and on and on.

just my .02
Im glad you got the idea of the original intention we thought of doing something similar but our intention isnt to "upcharge" or "sell" a rifle we do pretty well for that. we want to fill a gap in california. its our way of taking rights back for the people. building your own rifle with your own hands and knowing exactly why your doing what your doing, hearing a little history of why this and why that. its intimate man.

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 7:01 PM

btw s470: we are thinking of doing something similar to what your talking about quite a bit less expensive but you provide the parts and everything and we discuss and build and break down why one brand is different than the other where to source better prices and whatnot prolly looking for $145 for a course o this nature.

strat you bet man for our basic armorer build class we're offering 5.56 and 7.62
for our advanced armorer course (not planned yet) we will offer "large calibers" .308,6.8 .458 socom and .50 beowulf

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

GB1, is that a 7.62x39? I'd be very interested in a .308, not a class, but to outright purchase.

Oh and by the way, after 8 years in the Marine Corps as an armorer, I'll take the "master armorer" comment as a compliment.

Last edited by socalbowhunter; 06-14-2012 at 7:25 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 7:21 PM

7.62 makes it more interesting.
Old 06-14-2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Rat View Post
7.62 makes it more interesting.

yes! $750??
Old 06-14-2012, 7:41 PM

socal:hooorah.

and yes its 7.62x39. and yes 750.00

is it time to go ahead and plan a class folks or what?

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 7:44 PM

btw socal here is our ga10cspp mod 3 its the rifle that made us popular with snipers lol let me know what you think btw not 750 bucks lol

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 7:45 PM

btw thats a side charging handle not a regular rear charging receiver.

(818)500-4959
Old 06-14-2012, 8:00 PM

iv'e assembled and troubleshooted so many AR's over the years i could do it in my sleep,however i would jump at the chance to learn the more in depth aspects of the platform from the experts.if you offered a course in the 150$ range i would attend.i already have all the necessary hand tools and AR's i need,but im always up for learning the tricks of the trade from the pros . all my knowledge on the AR platform is based on manuals, personal experience , trial and error and a few smiths here and there.

More armed citizens = Quicker response times, less victims.
Less armed citizens = more victims

Guns should only be surrendered one bullet at a time.
Old 06-14-2012, 8:18 PM

I'd be very interested in a course. And I know a couple of buddies that would also. Would it be a one day thing or done over multiple days?

Subscribing to this thread.
Old 06-14-2012, 8:21 PM

any idea maybe for people that can make payments for a course? lol like a lay a way plan for poor college schmucks like moi