Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Default What ammo used?

What ammo are you using for your home defense? Are you also shooting it at the range too?

I am using Fed Hydrashok and Hornady jhp, I am not sure about magtech, saw a sale at palmetto, anyone use their hallows?

I also use cheap Fio and big5 bargain brand 9mm fmj ammo at the range, my ratio is 1-2 magazines of high quality ammo, and the rest are cheapo ammo to just get practice in.

Someone at Walmart btw also mismarked the hydrashok which is normally $21.97 for something else, and I picked up their entire stock. So I had to bring pickup around to have it loaded, pretty happy. Felt bad for a split second, but then again, after bringing it to the cashiers attention, she didn't care. Said walmart is a sh*tty company lol.

I feel like a pirate lol
Old 05-27-2012, 12:41 PM

i use rangers in my .40 and .45 and hornady critical defense in my 9mms. i shoot at least ten to fifteeen mags worth through my pistols to make sure they function without a hiccup, but thats about it. way too expensive to shoot regularly.
As far as walmart, stores have to sell at what they mark a product as. you lucked out, no fault of your own. lucky SOB.

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."
-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall."
Adolf Hitler, Edict of 18 March 1939
Old 05-27-2012, 7:54 PM

Currently my HD/SD load of choice has been Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr rounds in my Glock 17/19's.

I have been looking at Federal's HST 9mm rounds as they seem to be getting a lot of good reviews.

Given the price I usually shoot 200 to 300 rounds of premium hollow point ammo to test accuracy and reliability then shoot maybe 50 a year after that. As another poster said it's just too expensive for range or training ammo use.

For range practice and training class use, I use mainly the cheapest FMJ rounds I can find. I've shot a lot of steel cased Tula/Wolf/Bear ammo out of my pistols with no issues. Otherwise its whatever cheap brass cased ammo I can buy.
Old 05-29-2012, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequickshift View Post
What ammo are you using for your home defense? Are you also shooting it at the range too?
I'm getting to the range usually every week and shooting reloads that my hubby made years ago. As for home defense, he also made some hollow points. Beware, bad guy. Can you tell by the look in my eyes that I'm not kidding?
Old 06-01-2012, 9:58 AM

Atek I scored 1,000 rounds of HST 9mm, and 500 45 from my brother. About to meet someone right now to pick up a few palettes of gold dot.

Mongo, I shoot my good stuff often, at least a few boxes. Like example if I am shooting a good 100-200 rounds, I will put 20 speers, or hydrashok, or etc into the rotation.

I am also bulk buying a solid 4,000 rounds of 115 eagle range ammo, to squeeze in more time behind a new glock in poop brown lower body I just got, along with a new M&P 9, a shield too, and a few others NEW I have had for a few months but haven't had a chance to shoot cause of work schedule. Picking up a few K of PMC Xtac for rifles too, so this weekend should be a fun one
Old 06-01-2012, 10:24 AM

I use Blazer Brass for the range and really not sure what hollow point to use specifically for defense. Looking to probably pick up Hornady though.
Old 06-01-2012, 2:14 PM

Try Speers gold dotters, federals hydrashok, i can score eagle 115's 50 boxers for $6 a box in bulk from a connection I have, among other ammo, but generally I'll shoot any cheap plinky round for practice, but don't buy hornady and never shoot it because you think its expensive, thats the mistake most ppl make.

If you're ganna stake your life on it, practice and train with it every once in a while. Rotate with your practice munitions.

Work gives me free speer and eagle at a box ratio of 1/2 a week for just shooting at the range, I will usually only use 10 of the 20 speer, and save the other 10 each time, I am kinda weird like that :P

If you go to range with a box of 50 say eagles, and a box of say 20 Horn 124 Tappers, I'd use 10 for practice, and burn off the rest of the eagles. To get practice in, you need to know how that expensive stuff feeds through your gun, and how it feels, you need to do it enough often to be able to tell the diff between it and practice ammo. if you can, find ammo that shoots similar to a hd/sd round, and use that after you've determined that your hd/sd stuff is good to go. Burning a 20 round box of tap once every few months but keeping a box or stocked in your home mags afterward is a great trade off.

I know to many people who'll spend $550 or so for 500 HST Feds for their ammo to use for work, and will burn it off slowly over months cause they rotate it regularly into their training ammo. I do the same with xtac and other 5.56 or 7.62 ammo I train with, I toss good crap in with dirty sh*t to make sure the stuff I am stock piling is batch to batch consistently good. Just how it is.

I horde burner ammo for my rifles like a chipmunk my boyfriend thinks its kinda cute lol~
Old 06-01-2012, 5:18 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

$6/50 for AE? Can I be your friend?

Excellent advice on rotating HD ammo into your practice. Hard to do at the indoor ranges though.

Scott
Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Corbon DPX for my SD rounds in my 9mm

Win White box for my practice/gun range in 9mm
Sometimes may pop off some +p 90 grain at the range for practice as well
Old 06-14-2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
$6/50 for AE? Can I be your friend?

Excellent advice on rotating HD ammo into your practice. Hard to do at the indoor ranges though.

Scott
lol. Just bought a 20ft shipping container for $650, going to be able to have even more ammo space again until I fill that crap up

If you find ammo cheap, BUY it.
Old 06-14-2012, 5:52 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Quote:
lol. Just bought a 20ft shipping container for $650, going to be able to have even more ammo space again until I fill that crap up

Ok, now you REALLY got my interest!

Oh, I do!

Scott
Old 06-18-2012, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Ok, now you REALLY got my interest!

Oh, I do!

Scott
Yah, been known to just horde and horde and horde. Rotating oldest to first use for practice. Scored a bunch of that PMC xtac for very very very cheap, and some other ammo, bought a few K, so in about 30 or so mins leaving with the superduty and trailer to pick up bike, and then go pick up ammo

Anyways have a good one guys~
Old 06-18-2012, 6:34 PM

Quote:

Where did you get the container - That's a great price
Old 06-25-2012, 3:09 PM

I buy them regularly for a few other properties, i stock pile building materials as well, since I am also expanding on structures atm.

I get them through a friends connection, and it is a drop dead price for nearly virgin, one trip containers. I've seen these and the 40ft ones go for as much as $3500-$4000 through public channels.