Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Had a Scare Today

Today my boss had me take his car out to take him to a meeting and then run some errands while he was in there so that we could have lunch afterwards. I went to the bank and then got back in the car in the parking lot. I put the window down as I always do and was backing up when this guy who had parked his car in the parking lot came over to my side and said "what's a kid like you driving a car like this?" Flabbergasted, I didn't respond until he got an edge to his voice and asked how I could afford such a car. I then told him that it belonged to my boss and that I was running a few errands. He then - and this is the scary part - laughed, said "OK" and put his hand in the car to pat my arm and told me to have a nice day.

Needless to say, I was freaked out. I know that that I should have immediately rolled the window up, but it happened in 5 seconds, and I just froze. If it had been a life or death situation, I don't know how screwed I would have been, because I was backing out of a tight parking space, and there was very little room to maneuver.

I suppose my question is: should I just never keep the window down when I'm parking or going in/out of a gas station or drive through? I know that those are prime targets, but today was a real wake up call..
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 PM

Since you posted in the Leo section....

I'm paranoid. I scan everywhere when I leave a parking lot. If someone is even remotely near my car, my spidey sense goes up.

I personally would not have even given him the opportunity to be near me like that.

Justin
1943 mosin Nagant 91/30 for sale

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1049332
Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDMAN442 View Post

I'm paranoid. I scan everywhere when I leave a parking lot. If someone is even remotely near my car, my spidey sense goes up.

I personally would not have even given him the opportunity to be near me like that.

Justin
I wanted the experts' opinions on the matter.

And yeah, it sucked because I was already in the car. If I'm walking towards my car, and I see someone very close to me that's not getting into his/her car, I wait until they're further away before I do anything.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 PM

what was the guys deal? whats it to him what car you drive? some people are just freaking weird
Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 PM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDMAN442 View Post

Justin
I'm paranoid too, I park the furthest and closest exit out of the parking lot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

A 63 Wildcat does draw attention.
All kidding a side, it is a scary thing when your approached
by suprise as you were. -g

Anyone who wants to 'fundamentally change' the USA is not a patriot.

**WTB stock **(M1917\Enfield P-17)**
Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 PM

For the future park across the lot on the exit side of things more time to see stuff. Lot of weirdos out there.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 AM

I usually park far away because I don't like to waste time waiting and circling for a parking spot. However, doesn't parking across the lot near the exit also limit you if you need to get to your car quickly (being pursued by someone on foot)? Also, if you park closer, there will be more people around and you will be less likely to be isolated by a mugger, etc?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 AM

I'd have told him I was a drug dealer..
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

I would have grabbed onto his hand when he reached in, and rolled up the window, and drove off with his arm trapped inside... then I would laugh and say, "WHO'S SCARED NOW, HUH?"
Old 05-24-2012, 1:32 AM

^HaHa +10. I would like to see the change in his facial expression. From "bully" to pleading for mercy. Justice can be very entertaining sometimes.
Old 05-24-2012, 7:45 AM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

It's been said already but scan the entire lot as soon as you can, I begin looking before I even hit the door. This is especially true when entering or leaving a bank. I will try to park in a clear spot with no other cars when possible. If there's a car near mine when I come out I memorize the license plate. If my spidey senses are alerted I'll pre-dial 911 and hover over send. I am a LTC holder so I'll prep my draw if I can....

This hardly happens but there are times I am carrying a lot of money to the bank. I'll use the one in a Raley's since it's sort of a cover entering a grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr310 View Post
Today my boss had me take his car out to take him to a meeting and then run some errands while he was in there so that we could have lunch afterwards. I went to the bank and then got back in the car in the parking lot. I put the window down as I always do and was backing up when this guy who had parked his car in the parking lot came over to my side and said "what's a kid like you driving a car like this?" Flabbergasted, I didn't respond until he got an edge to his voice and asked how I could afford such a car. I then told him that it belonged to my boss and that I was running a few errands. He then - and this is the scary part - laughed, said "OK" and put his hand in the car to pat my arm and told me to have a nice day.

Needless to say, I was freaked out. I know that that I should have immediately rolled the window up, but it happened in 5 seconds, and I just froze. If it had been a life or death situation, I don't know how screwed I would have been, because I was backing out of a tight parking space, and there was very little room to maneuver.

I suppose my question is: should I just never keep the window down when I'm parking or going in/out of a gas station or drive through? I know that those are prime targets, but today was a real wake up call..
Old 05-24-2012, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
Bahahahahah! +1
Old 05-24-2012, 8:29 AM
Banned

You should have said, "This one time I was selling dope to an undercover cop and I tried to run away. The cops chased me and when they caught me they hit with with that zapper thingy and kicked me in the head. I sued them for civil rights violations and settled for $1.5 million. Now I drive expensive cars and have a medical MJ card, so it's all legit now, bro!"
Old 05-24-2012, 8:34 AM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
"I sell cocaine and cocaine accessories."

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 05-24-2012, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango78 View Post
You should have said, "This one time I was selling dope to an undercover cop and I tried to run away. The cops chased me and when they caught me they hit with with that zapper thingy and kicked me in the head. I sued them for civil rights violations and settled for $1.5 million. Now I drive expensive cars and have a medical MJ card, so it's all legit now, bro!"
Or you could say that you were just driving along minding your own business in your Hyundai, going 100mph on the 210 and next thing you know, a bunch of LAPD guys were beating your *** with batons and then your lawyer bought you a suit and dressed you up and told you to tell the world to get along so you can win some money.
Old 05-24-2012, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member

It's situational awareness. We can't have eyes at all places at all times, but it helps to know who's around you when you're going in and out of anywhere. Sitting inside the car is an extremely vulnerable position. Had I guy I knew who was assaulted while at a red light by a guy who had cut him off, and decided he didn't like being flipped off for his mistake. My buddy was pummeled in the face repeatedly while the attacker held the upper part of the shoulder restraint to pin him to his seat. All this because he rolled down his window to have a "chat" with this guy.

People are unpredictable, and sadly it's easier to expect to worst to protect yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer
It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.
Old 05-24-2012, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...I put the window down as I always do and was backing up when this guy who had parked his car in the parking lot came over to my side and said "what's a kid like you driving a car like this?"..
***Not a LEO here***

I usually have the windows up until I am moving, especially leaving a bank or any other place where someone might think I had money on me. If I had the window down, I would put it up if someone started walking towards me. I would be even more cautious driving a really expensive car.
I realize you did not see him. This is the reason you should leave the window up until you are moving at a decent speed.
I was a delivery driver many moons ago and I carried a lot of cash because I had customers on COD Cash terms. I also drove through bad areas. My only protection was a Buck knife and a 'Tire Billy'. I had a guy jump on my passenger side step one day while I waited at a red light. He tried to pull the door open. Luckily, it was locked with the window up. I grabbed the 'Tire Billy' and held it ready to strike. He yelled that he was only looking for a ride. I told him to get the ____ off my truck while he still could. He jumped off and ran. I had cars in front of me. This was my lesson. In the past 30 years, I have never let anyone get that close too my vehicle.
You got your lesson. Learn from it.

Last edited by retired; 05-25-2012 at 2:43 PM..
Old 05-24-2012, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Haas View Post
"I sell cocaine and cocaine accessories."
Winner
Old 05-24-2012, 1:20 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

MYOFB

might have been one possible reply...
Old 05-24-2012, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

1) never roll down your windows unless you have to, that's what AC is for
2) I have pepper spray close at hand in my car for just such occasions
Old 05-24-2012, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Would I have been hit with an assault charge if I had slapped his hand off me or God forbid, use pepper spray if I had it?
Old 05-24-2012, 1:45 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Would I have been hit with an assault charge if I had slapped his hand off me or God forbid, use pepper spray if I had it?
If you put your hand in someone's arm and they hit or pepper sprayed you, would you press charges?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-24-2012, 1:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
If you put your hand in someone's arm and they hit or pepper sprayed you, would you press charges?

I don't know the guy, and he reached into the car to touch me after raising his voice and acting in a confrontational way. I'm glad nothing happened, and I'm happy with the way it turned out - with the exception of my not telling him about my Grandpa who lived to be 103 by minding his own damn business, but it still does beg the question as to what would have happened if I had reacted differently.
Old 05-24-2012, 1:53 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I don't know the guy, and he reached into the car to touch me after raising his voice and acting in a confrontational way. I'm glad nothing happened, and I'm happy with the way it turned out - with the exception of my not telling him about my Grandpa who lived to be 103 by minding his own damn business, but it still does beg the question as to what would have happened if I had reacted differently.
Read PC 240 & 242.

Old 05-24-2012, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
Read PC 240 & 242.

Self defense and lack of great bodily injury are listed as possible defenses. Like most of the law, that leaves it pretty open to interpretation..

A person is allowed to defend themselves when they have a "reasonable apprehension of imminent bodily harm." When someone acts in a threatening matter, they don't need to necessarily take the first punch for me to assume that they intend to inflict bodily harm on me, great or minor.

Last edited by Mr310; 05-24-2012 at 2:19 PM..
Old 05-24-2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
should I just never keep the window down when I'm parking or going in/out of a gas station or drive through?
Correct...and at stop lights. And while your gas is pumping, get back in your car and lock the doors. Keys in the ignition in off position, ready to start if necessary.

First thing I do when I get into my car is hit the power locks so no one can open your car door at stop lights. I also keep just enough distance in front of my car at stoplights so I can turn sharp and drive away. I also try to keep in the right or left most lane whenever possible, so I have an escape route. By the way, When I was in college, before becoming a LEO, someone attempted to car jack me at a stoplight, right as it turned green. I heard my outer door handle jiggled right as a started to pull away. Looked back and saw the banger get into the hooptie with the rest of his banger buddies. That's part of the reason why I do all that. The rest is that I regularly come into contact with the bottom 1% of society, so I am more used to being vigilant than my blood pressure reading would like.
"Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen."
-- Sir Robert Peel
Old 05-24-2012, 6:09 PM

Don't overlook that you are sitting in the cockpit of a 3,000 Lb. weapon. I legally carry and I think in certain cases your best bet is to drive rather than go for a weapon.

SSRI Antidepressants, prescribed to every shooter of a major school shooting incident. "Side effects may include violent behavior".

Last edited by sfpcservice; 05-24-2012 at 6:10 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 AM

*not a leo

When possible I like to keep my Mal in the back seat with me. I wouldn't want to be the person who reached in and grabbed me or tried opening the door to get in the car. I always try to take him if I am getting gas and/or running short errands in the neighborhood where I don't have to leave him alone for more than a couple minutes.

When I was a kid my mother would do the same thing with one of our labs. He didn't have the typical "lab" personality when it came to men in particular. One time she had a three bangers try to accost her as she was walking to her car...she opened the door and "Hank" made sure they weren't going without some scars. Another time she was in a parking lot (see a trend here?) and fumbling for something in a bag when a guy reached in and tried to grab her purse. Hank made sure that he knew that was a VERY bad idea.

When I am on my motorcycle I stay aware of those around me and always keep an escape route. Having grown up around bangers I always tend to keep an eye out and make sure that I never stare but I am always aware of whats around and I know where to go if I need to.