Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-17-2012, 3:56 PM

Default Savage 111 Hunter XP trigger? (and vs. axis)

So Big 5 has the Savage 111 hunter xp on sale for $420, rather than the normal $499. It comes with a 3-9x40 bushnell scope. A few questions about this gun:

1) It does not have an accutrigger. So how are the non-accutrigger savage triggers? Anybody know the pull weight on these? Are they decent? Or are they crap? I am used to shooting a mosin so I assume the trigger will be better than that, right?

2) They also had an Axis for $399. I have read a lot of axis bashing but I did not see much difference between the axis and the 111xp. Both have a free floating barrel but neither has the accustock. Neither has the accutrigger, so does anyone know the difference between the Axis and the 111 hunter xp? The stock looks different but I am not sure if it is built differently, or different materials, etc.

3) How does it compare to the (discontinued but still available at Big 5) Remington 700 ADL? The 700 ADL goes for $499, does not have a free floating barrel (I checked) and I have heard the trigger is not as good as the 700bdl or 700cdl... Or any other rifles I should consider? ...like the Ruger American Rifle?

Again, I am sure any of these would be a huge improvement over a mosin, but should I spring for a savage with an accutrigger, or a 700 bdl/cdl?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HUNTERXP
Old 05-17-2012, 9:31 PM

wish i could be more help. what i can say is i recently bought a savage 111 trophy hunter xp, with an accutrigger and a nikon scope from turners for $519.
for a $100 bucks it seems like it's a better deal. btw it's a 223
Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Depends what you want it for. Are you going to be hunting with it? If so, then you dont need the accutrigger. If you are going to be using it as a target rifle, then yes spend the extra cash and get the accutrigger. Its an awesome trigger and breaks like glass at 2-2.5 lbs.

Again, if its only a hunting rifle, the Axis model will do you well. You dont need a free floating barrel or the accutrigger for hunting. However, if its a target rifle, stay away from the Axis model.

No the Remington 700 is not "better" than the Savage with the accutrigger. Handle both as see what you like best. I got the Savage 111 FXP3, however, I swapped out the scope, stock, and barrel because I am using it as a target rifle only.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM

The axis is a accurate. Rifle for fhe price i got 2 one in 223 and in 308 every one that shoots them love the rifle. I have had 4 people. By the fun after they shot them