Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-11-2012, 9:17 PM

Default So... Gen1 Unfired glock 17

So I was just given a Glock 17 by a close family friend. Come to find out, it is an all original Glock 17, original box, manual (unopened), and the gun has never been fired.

He gave me this gun because I am training for POST and will be putting 10,000 rounds through it (easily) in the next 6 months... I feel like an A-hole for doing it, since it is 30ish years old and unfired... Opinions: Is this a rarity I shouldn't ravage?

ALSO: It has an original 17 rd magazine... Do I need to leave this with him, or when we PPT it to me, do I get it legally? He has 10+ other Glocks (17s, 19s, 22s, and 23s, all unfired) so he could keep it... But if I can get it legally, obviously I want it.
Old 05-11-2012, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus408 View Post
So I was just given a Glock 17 by a close family friend. Come to find out, it is an all original Glock 17, original box, manual (unopened), and the gun has never been fired.

He gave me this gun because I am training for POST and will be putting 10,000 rounds through it (easily) in the next 6 months... I feel like an A-hole for doing it, since it is 30ish years old and unfired... Opinions: Is this a rarity I shouldn't ravage?

ALSO: It has an original 17 rd magazine... Do I need to leave this with him, or when we PPT it to me, do I get it legally? He has 10+ other Glocks (17s, 19s, 22s, and 23s, all unfired) so he could keep it... But if I can get it legally, obviously I want it.
The magazine can go to you in parts. I am one who thinks that guns should be shot, just as shirts should be worn, but this is a piece that I would definitely baby.

And I'm not a Glock fan!

PICTURES!
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 05-11-2012, 9:39 PM

I'd shoot it. It's a Glock not a custom shop gun or anything like that. By POST, i'm assuming you're going through a police academy. Have him give you the magazine as a parts kit, and once you're a sworn peace officer, you can assemble it. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2012, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

You could sell that and probably buy two brand new Glocks! Being original, it also need the safety parts upgrade, you will have to find a local Glock armorer or send it to glock. But keeping it an original, unfired pistol...its worth a fortune to a Glock collector.
Old 05-11-2012, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

Take it from someone who's been there, keep an unfired gun for inspections and get a range gun you won't mind shooting.
Old 05-11-2012, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Before possibly making a financial mistake, you may want to check the value of an unfired original G-17. It could be a collectors item worth some money. Maybe post about it on a Glock forum. I know the later Glocks came test fired brand new, not sure about the 1st gen ones. Look for any wear to the finish of the top of the barrel from the slide & front part of the barrel from the bushing part of the slide. BTW you will probably not want to use the mag(s) are they are the early non fully lined non-drop free ones with the U shaped back cut-out. The later fulled metal lined drop free ones will have a squared notch back cut-out.

You should also do yourself the favor & compare the grip to a Gen 3 Glock. You may be like me & can't stand the feel of them.

10,000 practice rounds to become a LEO?
Old 05-11-2012, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I would not shoot it. Pick up a cheap gen 2 LEO turn in for your training.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 PM

I wouldnt shoot it. Keep it or sell it and buy a few Glock 17's.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 PM

Keep it without shooting it! thats really cool how ya came to it.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBoddicker View Post
10,000 practice rounds to become a LEO?
Not any sort of requirement, but my feeling has always been to know as much as you can about a subject before you get trained/schooled on it, so you just fill in gaps and arent building from the ground up. I was the Dbag in college that got and read books before the semester started so I wouldn't have to do it later.

As far as the guy that gave this to me, in the 80s when inflation was crazy, he said that he read a book stating the 4 things that are safe to invest your money in, and if money kept inflating they would be items worth value to trade, were Alcohol, Cigs, Guns and precious metals. He didnt want to drink his investment, and he didn't smoke or condone it, and metals were out of his league, so he would buy guns, lots and lots of guns. Glocks mostly. He seriously has tons, all original, never used. Now he doesn't need the money and just sits on them as a point of pride. Awesome guy, NEVER pegged him as a gun owner.

As far as selling it and buying a couple of Glocks with the proceeds, I cant in good conscience. It was a gift to me, a sort of "Hey you are going to be an LEO, what guns are you looking at? Oh a Glock? I have a few come check them out... I want you to have this to get you started on the right foot, here you go, glad I could help." So if anything I would just tell him what it's worth, and that there is demand for it, but I cant in good conscience 'ruin' a pristine collectable.

It would be like getting an all original Porsche from the 80s with zero miles on it and using it as an 80 mile a day commuter. A Porsche enthusiast would kill you.

Last edited by janus408; 05-11-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 PM

I'm on the fence on this.

You really own a piece or history. That gun changed the world and you have an original unfired 1st gen... It doesn't get any better than that!

Also he might be trying to live vicariously through you. You shoot the gun and tell him how much you enoyed it

Actually I'm not on the fence. I'd keep it in original unfired pristine condition and pick up a gen III for class...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 PM

I'm on the fence on this.

You really own a piece or history. That gun changed the world and you have an original unfired 1st gen... It doesn't get any better than that!

Also he might be trying to live vicariously through you. You shoot the gun and tell him how much you enoyed it

Actually I'm not on the fence. I'd keep it in original unfired pristine condition and pick up a gen III for class...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

I would NOT fire it. Keep it or sell it for big money. Get a 3rd gen Glock to use and abuse in the academy. That is piece of history there and super rare!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A new GLock 17 is, what, $600 or so? With GSSF it's like $450?

I'd buy that and shoot that until you figure out "value"

There is plenty of time to shoot the original 17. But for $450-$600?? Just get a new one. It will be safer to shoot anyway, since it's had those 30 years of kinks worked out. (ie any safety upgrade or whatever the gen 1's needed will be ready to go with a new gun)
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 PM

I'd lock that puppy up.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 PM

Don't shoot it! Pick up a gen3 and lock up your gen1
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Banned

It's not worth more than any other Glock IMO. I have a gen 1 and 2 17 and both were very cheap and in great shape when I bought them. I paid 350 for my gen 1 a few months ago. It's a Glock, shoot it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-12-2012, 9:13 AM

Like others have said, I wouldn't shoot it and just buy a beater gun.

If you want to sell it. I would pick it up from you in a heart beat for the price of a new gen3 17.

It is not a CCW permit. It is a carry license.

-Gene
Old 05-12-2012, 9:58 AM

If he gave it to you with the intention of being used you should use it. Honor the man's gift.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:34 AM

Default I have shot a gen 1 glock 17

It was very cool but guns were made to be shot, your gun is glocks 1st model but glock was not the first polymer gun i think. Its your choice but that gun is very cool and I would buy another glock and shoot it more than you shoot this glock.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S dot View Post
If he gave it to you with the intention of being used you should use it. Honor the man's gift.
THIS.
Old 05-12-2012, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
It's not worth more than any other Glock IMO.
So wrong, this is the model that started it all. There is a fairly significant collector community that would be interested in an unfired Gen1 with all the original accessories and packaging.
Old 05-12-2012, 2:52 PM
Banned

OP- please don't fire and wear down this weapon. Additionally, the Glock Corp might be interested in the pistol. It is an historic item and should be preserved.
Old 05-12-2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
A new GLock 17 is, what, $600 or so? With GSSF it's like $450?

I'd buy that and shoot that until you figure out "value"

There is plenty of time to shoot the original 17. But for $450-$600?? Just get a new one. It will be safer to shoot anyway, since it's had those 30 years of kinks worked out. (ie any safety upgrade or whatever the gen 1's needed will be ready to go with a new gun)

I paid $489 for mine.

I would lock this gun in a safe and buy a newer G17 or something else. POST is not easy on firearms.
Old 05-12-2012, 3:26 PM

I'd keep the Glock 17 Gen 1 in "continued" pristine, unfired condition and get a beater Glock as well.
Old 05-12-2012, 8:18 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'training for POST'. if you mean you're going to a police academy, the agency that sends you typically gives you their department issue weapons for training. if you're going to an academy as a 'non-affiliate', buy another Glock to use and put the Gen 1 away.
Old 05-12-2012, 9:11 PM
Calguns Addict

You are not going to get enough money for it to justify not shooting it. Look at the low ball offers you are already getting? It simply is not worth what you and the others think it is. However, preparing for and acing your handgun qualifications at post is priceless.

I get wanting to do some training before you leave for the POST academy. Others missed what you were trying to say there, but I got it. I recommend signing up for a course. See the Competition, Action-Shooting and Training section here on Calguns.net. The academy is a stressful enough place. Would not hurt to have some professional training doing the exact type of shooting you will be doing at the academy before you get there. It will definately increase your score on the handgun qualifications. Just trying to learn on your own or have your buddies teach you...not so much.
Old 05-12-2012, 9:25 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In have a Gen 1 Glock first pistol I purchased myself. Mine has had 30k+ through it with all the original parts.
Take to your training and use it and when you have a few thousand rounds through it admire it for its make, then clean it and shoot it some more.

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 05-12-2012, 9:34 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

please don't shoot it. an unfired NIB gen 1 glock is definately a collector item. Also, gen 1 glocks had pencil barrels so it wouldn't even be a good candidate for your 10,000 round training program.

hang on to it, get another gun for training. sell it to me! I'd happily buy you a new g17 and also throw in some extra cash
Old 05-12-2012, 9:44 PM
Veteran Member

If you plan on collecting firearms it would be a nice addition to any collection. So, if it was me I wouldn't shoot it, it is a collectors item, IMO.

Go out and buy a new or used g17 and save the gen 1 from wear.
Old 05-12-2012, 9:56 PM

I would say honor the friend and use the pistol for the purpose he gave it to you. Use it as a reminder of how you were helped along on your journey and to be generous when you have the opportunity.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 PM

Just to clear a few things up, and to update you all. This gun will be used for about 10k rounds over the next few months prior to me going to POST. I am more than comfortable with AR-15s and shotguns, but I was lacking in Pistol skills (the bread and butter of LEOs) as I have never owned one. I did not want to go into POST not already being proficient with a handgun, so I am pre-training.

As far as taking a class, my grandfather was a Police Chief for 30 plus years, my God father is a current Police chief, and I have 3 other mentors at local PDs that have offered to take me out and train me. So classes wont be necessary, I will have harsher training than POST (at my God fathers hand, according to him) before going in.

Now the gun. The owner was mistaken and I was not familiar enough with Glocks, so it is a Gen2 (from what I can gather). It is unfired, and the cleaning kit that comes with it is even unused. The manual was sealed in that envelope but I carefully cut it open today to check it out. All of the warranty and survey info was still in there, obviously not filled out.

Lastly, selling the gun was never a real option. I would have told him he could get a tidy profit by selling it himself and just given it back stating that it feels wrong 'degrading' something that would have real value to someone else. Especially when I am just looking for a training weapon to beat the piss out of.

BUT it is Gen2, and despite its immaculate condition, I think a few of the posts saying it was a gift rang true with me. He knows what I am going to put it through, and he feels good about providing it for me to further myself and get ready for POST. I think I will shoot him an email explaining that there was real interest in it and he would not have a hard time selling it and making a collector very happy, but if he feels good knowing that I am going to push this gun and give it some real work, I am fine using it.

Plus he has, I **** you not, 20+ Glocks from the late 80s-95. None of which have been fired. He bought them as investments (he isn't even into guns) when inflation was running crazy. If there is interest, maybe he would let me photograph it all together, it is pretty spectacular.

And this is one of 5-6 Glock 17s he has that are unfired.

The one in my possession (Correct me if I am wrong about it being a Gen2 please!):

Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 PM

You can fill out a family transfer paperwork (downloadable online).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=124237
Old 05-13-2012, 1:14 AM
Banned

Gen 2
Old 05-13-2012, 1:22 AM
Veteran Member

Yup, Common mistake.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Old 05-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Its a gen 2. Shoot the $#!T out of it! It probably needs the saftey upgrades as well. If the serial number starts with XG or earlier, it needs the upgrade. I would replace the sites with glock metal ones or even better, Trijicons. the factory plastic ones are pretty flilmsey.
Also, FYI there are a "gen 2.5" for lack of a better term Glocks out there, for a short time they did make them with the finger grooves, but without the light rail.

Last edited by G-forceJunkie; 05-13-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Its a gen 2. Shoot the $#!T out of it! It probably needs the saftey upgrades as well. If the serial number starts with XG or earlier, it needs the upgrade. I would replace the sites with glock metal ones or even better, Trijicons. the factory plastic ones are pretty flilmsey.
Also, FYI there are a "gen 2.5" for lack of a better term Glocks out there, for a short time they did make them with the finger grooves, but without the light rail.
What safety upgrades do I need to do?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

There was a large upgrade in the early 90's. Nearly every part in the slide and frame will be replaced as they were redesigned. It is free from a glock armorer or if you send the gun to glock.