Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-08-2012, 4:51 AM

Default Buying ammo at Walmart

I stopped at Walmart in Corona this morning to pick up some Federal 12ga value packs. When I got to the counter the cashier told me they needed to call the assistant manager for the ammo sale. They told me that only managers and assistant managers could sell ammo. I asked when they changed this and they told me it was recent. It must have been because I bought ammo there last week. I was thinking thank god it was 5AM and the store was empty. I could not imagine them having to call the manager to do the sale in the middle of the day when they are a mad house and every cashier is already backed up I don't think it will be long and we will see fewer and fewer Walmarts selling ammo.

Anyone else run into this in the past few days? Or is maybe just this one store.

Last edited by rjh4758; 05-08-2012 at 5:39 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 4:56 AM

They did the same thing at Chino Hills but I was late night shopping like I always do and bought ammo around 11:30pm and they called for a manager. I've purchased before during the day without issues.
Old 05-08-2012, 5:10 AM

i don't know if it was a manager at the mountain view or american canyon wal mart location, highly doubt it was, but they didn't have to have a manager ring me up.

i've heard stupid things like this happen before and people asking for id's or whatever. i hope this stpid stuff doesn't get worse
Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU Sniper
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP
Mossberg 590A1/500/930/Maverick 88

Old 05-08-2012, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict

You guys have it good one walmart i went to wont even sale ammo from like 10-6 am (i think those are the times, i know it's something strange) The others only have one or two people in the store that can sale ammo.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 05-08-2012, 7:54 AM

Default Key'd people

WalMart has always had people that were signed off to do ammo sales and when none are on duty it is left for the manager.

While a PITA, I can kind of understand this policy due to the nature of the people in there employee pool.
Old 05-08-2012, 8:29 AM

It's not an issue with you or anyone purchasing ammo. It's a superstore. I would not trust 99% of the people working there to sell ammo.

I look at it as a policy and practice that will ensure that Walmart continues to sell ammo.
Old 05-08-2012, 9:55 AM

also management are the only ones with keys to the ammo cabinet
Old 05-08-2012, 2:47 PM

I have yet to find a Walmart near San Jose that sells ammo. We've checked 4 different ones in the area.

I'm from Arkansas, so used to seeing rifles, shotguns, and in some places handguns sold at Walmart.
Old 05-08-2012, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I gave up on going to Walmart 4 years ago. Dealing with the salespeople/crowds/increasing ammo prices turned me off.
Old 05-08-2012, 3:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I've gone to Walmart, gone to the ammo counter, no ones there, look all over the back side of the store, finally find an employee they make an announcement over head, wait a bit longer, nothing happens, find a CSM they make some radio calls, they finally tell me that the girl that is approved to do ammo sales called in sick and there is no manager authorized to do sales at the store at this time either.

Lame.

Other good one is the "Residency Check" Policy they have...
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 05-08-2012, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaslayer View Post
They did the same thing at Chino Hills but I was late night shopping like I always do and bought ammo around 11:30pm and they called for a manager. I've purchased before during the day without issues.
You're lucky, the Walmarts I go to here in SD stop selling ammo at 9pm.
Old 05-08-2012, 4:45 PM
Calguns is my Facebook!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBruce View Post
I have yet to find a Walmart near San Jose that sells ammo. We've checked 4 different ones in the area.

I'm from Arkansas, so used to seeing rifles, shotguns, and in some places handguns sold at Walmart.
Yea, no SJ store has ammo.. Your best bet is Milpitas, Mountain View or Gilroy. :-(

Sent from my iPhone...

Onegtalon... toooooo many hobbies man !...

HDF, CGN/CGF member
Old 05-08-2012, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

I can buy ammo at any time of the day, but recently, they've locked it up instead of just having all of the boxes sitting on the shelfs. The trick now is to simply find someone to get it for me. They are all usually goofing around in electronics.
Old 05-08-2012, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

I really don't see how it's worth it to go to a Wal-mart, isn't the ammo about the same price as the Big 5 or similar stores that seem to be around the corner from all of them? much less hassle and usually no inbred zombie criminal welfare for life people to deal with.
Old 05-08-2012, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls View Post
I really don't see how it's worth it to go to a Wal-mart, isn't the ammo about the same price as the Big 5 or similar stores that seem to be around the corner from all of them? much less hassle and usually no inbred zombie criminal welfare for life people to deal with.
cheaper usually than other stores.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 05-08-2012, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Big5 costs waaaay more then Walmart.

The Federal 100 packs on 9mm are a decent deal at Walmart.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 05-08-2012, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know Wal-Mart sells 20 rounds of Wolf .223 for $4.97/box. Right now, Big 5 has 20 rounds of MFS on sale for $8.99/box (regularly something like $11.99). For $12/box, it had better be something dang good. PMC and the like (brass cased) are usually $7 and under most everywhere for 20 rounds. I've yet to find anything at Big 5 be a better deal than most any other store, except when they have the bricks of .22LR on sale. Even then, there are stores that have the same thing for less everyday; just not around me.
Old 05-08-2012, 9:51 PM

I reload most of what I shoot. But it just doesn't pay to reload birdshot. If Walmart becomes a hassle I'll have to start buying flats online. You can find them priced similar to Walmart value pack and the ammo is better quality. Walmart is just more convenient.

It's just a shame. I lived in PA and they stopped selling firearms at Walmart before I moved. Lived in OK for 2 years and you could get long guns and ammo no problem. Here no guns and some stores no ammo at all.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 PM

The Wal-Marts in Solano co. sell ammo 24 hrs/day. I work nights half the time and get off at 5am. I stop by the Super Wal-Mart on the way to my house.

They dont stock the Wolf .223, but they American Eagle AR .223 20rd. box for under $7.00... Thats the best local deal I have found. That and the Winchester 9mm FMJ 100rd. box for $22.00... I used to get the same box of Federal for $20, but it caused malfunctions a lot. Haven't had a prob w/the Win.

Once I went in there and they had mis-marked the Winchester .12ga 3" 00 buck 15rd. boxes at $8 per box, and they were out of the cabinet next to the steel duck loads... Needless to say I bought all eleven boxes on the shelf!
Old 05-09-2012, 4:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharry777 View Post
The Wal-Marts in Solano co. sell ammo 24 hrs/day. I work nights half the time and get off at 5am. I stop by the Super Wal-Mart on the way to my house.

They dont stock the Wolf .223, but they American Eagle AR .223 20rd. box for under $7.00... Thats the best local deal I have found. That and the Winchester 9mm FMJ 100rd. box for $22.00... I used to get the same box of Federal for $20, but it caused malfunctions a lot. Haven't had a prob w/the Win.

Once I went in there and they had mis-marked the Winchester .12ga 3" 00 buck 15rd. boxes at $8 per box, and they were out of the cabinet next to the steel duck loads... Needless to say I bought all eleven boxes on the shelf!
So you work half nights, and get off at 5AM. Which refinery do you work at?

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 05-11-2012, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gillious View Post
i've heard stupid things like this happen before and people asking for id's or whatever. i hope this stpid stuff doesn't get worse
Young guy at Anaheim Walmart, during daytime, asked me for my ID when I bough 2 Federal .22lr Value packs. I asked him with a smile if I looked over 18 yrs old for purchasing rifle ammo then he said: "My manager told me to check for ID only if the buyer looks under 40 yrs old!" . This is so absurd...
Old 05-11-2012, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Just bought remington 100 round packs for .40 and .380. I cleaned them out. They did not have 1 box of .45 there at all. They still had .40 and .380 in 100 packs of winchester. No 250 packs. Thats the Murrieta Hot Springs Road one in Murrieta.
Old 05-11-2012, 5:50 PM

@CZLover, is a safety net taken by management. I am sure some of the people they have employed, how should I say this, are not the cream of the crop. If one of the store employees sells ammo to someone under age the fines are up to $1000 and most likely that manager looses their job.

I bought ammo at the same store yesterday evening and no issues. Most be like some have said, it's a night shift thing.
Old 05-11-2012, 8:55 PM

The only problem i ever run into at the wallymart near me is if the auto department is backed up since they have the key when no one is at sporting goods.
Old 05-11-2012, 9:28 PM

I went to buy some 9mm today and i had to wait for one of the assistant managers for a few minutes. But its was ok because she was this young blonde girl who was pretty cute. This is was Poway

I hate my life.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 PM

Same here today at the Azusa Walmart, went to buy the Federal 12 gauge value pack and had to wait for the assistant manager to sell it to me. Felt sorry for those who had to wait behind us tonight.
Old 05-12-2012, 1:14 AM

Wal-Mart sporting department customer service is horrible in my experience because of their absence and knowledge, but the ammo is so darn cheap & convient...

I just purchased a box of 9mm ammo last week before the 8th at around 11:30 PM at night, no problems besides the absence of any available employees and multiple intercom calls. Became an easy purchase once they they came. I tell the employee, "just need one box of the Winchester 9mm 100 rounds please." She, opened the display, turned around and rung me up without closing the display up... LOL. Moving on, she gave me my total, I swiped my card, she bagged it, Im done...

No ID check, no questions, no management, no hassle there... Got to say, I love that because most of my ammo purchasing experience are very similar at Wal-Mart. Hope they will still be too.
Old 05-12-2012, 8:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have not had this experience at Mountain View or Milpitas.
Old 05-12-2012, 9:13 AM

When you pay low wages and no benefits, you get what you pay for. Having to navigate the chain of morons in that place is not worth the price savings. Last time I shopped there, the ammo case was open, I grabbed 6 boxes of .40 S&W, set it on the counter, and flagged an employee. She asked me who got it for me, I pointed to the open ammo cabinet, and she took it, locked it back in the cabinet, and dissapeared. 10 minutes later, I flagged down the manager, who sent someone over, which took another 10 minutes. He takes the ammo back out, I pay with cash, and he gives me $30 over in change. I point out his mistake, but he scewed up the amount I gave him on the reciept, and just can't seem to figure out what I'm telling him. I wait another ten minutes for the manager, who counts the drawer and fixes the problem. I order online now, and it either meets or beats Walmart prices. It comes right to my door, and I don't have to waste my time with morons.
Old 05-12-2012, 9:34 AM

I was at Wal Mart in East Lake Chula Vista last night, and heard the manager responding to a drunk guy attemping to purchase ammo. I had to watch. The guy was clearly drunk, and the manager was called because the guy was being beligerent. The associate refused to sell ammo to the guy because she believed he was under the influence. In my opinion it was a smart move to refuse to sell ammo to the guy. Personally, I buy booze with ammo all of the time, but never while I'm intoxicated. If you're the type of person that people perceive to be intoxicated then I'm sorry for you, but I gotta admit that it is completely reasonable to refuse a sale of ammunition to someone that appears to be intoxicated late at night. My bet is that if you came back during the day time they would sell it to you without a second thought. just a suggestion.
Old 05-12-2012, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegtalon View Post
Yea, no SJ store has ammo.. Your best bet is Milpitas, Mountain View or Gilroy. :-(

Sent from my iPhone...
Milpitas is great, they stock a whole lot of 9mm Federal, I've always seen someone there to help me out, and they don't have that 6 boxes or time limit that Gilroy has. Friendly people too.
Old 05-12-2012, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

FYI Lancaster wallyworld had 45 in the 250 pack for $98.00 last time I bought it it was $69.00 there

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 05-12-2012, 6:38 PM

I walked in and out in 10 min and have waited 20 min for the guy with the key... Hit and miss. Bass Pro Shops has Winchester white box 100 CT for the same price so think ill just start stocking up there.
Old 05-12-2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
You guys have it good one walmart i went to wont even sale ammo from like 10-6 am (i think those are the times, i know it's something strange) The others only have one or two people in the store that can sale ammo.

i had this happen to me at the santa clarita walmart.
they said by law they cant sell ammo after 10pm.....
Old 05-12-2012, 7:29 PM

I've bought ammo from the Corona Walmart without issue. The kid behind the counter was all excited about getting a 10/22. Definately wasn't a manager.
Old 05-12-2012, 7:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I really don't see how it's worth it to go to a Wal-mart, isn't the ammo about the same price as the Big 5 or similar stores that seem to be around the corner from all of them?
Cheap ammo? Big 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 05-12-2012, 8:46 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

As an FYI if nobody is around to help you for 20 minutes as is typical at walmart, just shake the glass a bit and the lock will fall off, most employees dont put it on right.

If it doesnt fall of after a while, then just keep shaking and eventually the guard monitoring the security cameras will send someone to "help" you.

The cashiers in front have no issue ringing up ammo.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBruce View Post

Salinas sells ammo, I don't think it's too far from you.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Last week I went to the Wal Mart in gilroy and looked at their ammo case. Nothing affordable in common calibers. No .223, 9mm, .45ACP, 7.62x39, .308.

They had some .22LR and 12 Gauge Birdshot, as well as some .30 Carbine, .40S&W, and some expensive hunting ammunition, but that was it.

it was just sad.

If CA ever gets a mail order ammo ban (again) we will all have to drive to Nevada and pitch a tent outside gun shows the day before to get our supplies.