Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 AM

Default ask , about shipping firearm outside country ?

is there any thread that already discuss about , if a resident in california ( GC or us citizen ) buy a handgun and rifle than have a plan to ship it outside country , using USPS or UPS , is that possible ? what kind of document or is there any lot's of paperwork to do ?

let's say that person only ship that 2 handgun and 2 rifle , or is there any limitation if the rule say it's ok to ship firearm outside United states to other country ?
Old 05-07-2012, 2:17 AM
Calguns Addict

You must use someone who is licensed to export firearms and there are a lot of federal restrictions. Any package going out of the country requires a customs declaration and is subject to inspection by US Customs and that of the destination country. Then you have to deal with the laws of the country it is going to. Falsifying a customs declaration is a federal crime.

Not impossible, but not easy.

Do not try to ship on your own. You could end up in Federal prison for a very long time.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 05-07-2012, 2:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Steps I did in this order:
1. go to the state department's defense trade controls office and get the appropriate paper work. Check if the country you are sending it to is a prohibited country. Iran would not be viable. http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/

2. Send in paperwork and a letter stating this is a one time export, ask for an one time exemption to registering as a trader in defense articles. Wait a few months.

3. While waiting, contact the relevant government agency at your destination country and the recipient to apply for an import permit.

4. After getting State Dept. approval to send the guns overseas, and the receiving country has given your recipient an import permit and all necessary clearances to clear customs, give the gun to a FFL to transfer the guns into his inventory and ship to the recipient using UPS Air or FEDEX Air.

Step 4 might have changed since the early 1990's when I sent some AR-15 receivers to Australia, but that should be easy enough to do if you ask around. The hardest part is step 3. For some reason, many countries don't like their citizens to own guns, even reliable and safe American guns, and refuse to allow their people to legally import guns. I wonder why.
Old 05-08-2012, 1:12 AM

wow , so it's complicated rule huh ? hmmm or is there anybody else that stay in EAST LA and maybe that person has authority to export gun and i can ask help to that person ?
Old 05-08-2012, 4:20 AM
Calguns Addict

There's no need to find someone staying in East LA to help you. The steps are outlined above. If you can afford a long distance call, you can call the State Department in Washington DC and ask them to detail the steps for you. You don't need someone in East LA to tell you what the State Department official can tell you on the phone. The information is also more reliable from Washington DC since they are the ones who will approve or deny your export permit. The authority to export a firearm from the US comes from the State Department, not some guy living in East LA.

What country are you shipping to?

Last edited by dwtt; 05-08-2012 at 4:22 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt View Post
There's no need to find someone staying in East LA to help you. The steps are outlined above. If you can afford a long distance call, you can call the State Department in Washington DC and ask them to detail the steps for you. You don't need someone in East LA to tell you what the State Department official can tell you on the phone. The information is also more reliable from Washington DC since they are the ones who will approve or deny your export permit. The authority to export a firearm from the US comes from the State Department, not some guy living in East LA.

What country are you shipping to?
actually i'm planning to ship it to indonesia , and which i have friend of mine that working in shooting range in indonesia.

cause to be honest , i'm just trying to help my friend by using legal way and play by the rule , and is it possible to send firearm through someone that has the firearm export license to that country ?
Old 05-09-2012, 3:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliverty View Post
actually i'm planning to ship it to indonesia , and which i have friend of mine that working in shooting range in indonesia.

cause to be honest , i'm just trying to help my friend by using legal way and play by the rule , and is it possible to send firearm through someone that has the firearm export license to that country ?
I see what you are trying to do. Earlier I thought you wanted to do the export yourself, but now it's clear you want a licensed and registered exporter to do the export for you. If you can find a company that is licensed and registered to export weapons, you can have them do the export and paperwork. I don't know of any in East LA. They would have to apply for an export license from the State Dept for the guns you want exported, and they would charge you accordingly. Good luck.

Is your friend in Indonesia able to get an import permit or whatever is required by Indonesia's government to import firearms?

Last edited by dwtt; 05-09-2012 at 3:27 AM..
Old 05-09-2012, 7:37 AM

hmmm ok thank you for the info and i will try to look at it .
Old 05-09-2012, 2:33 PM

High Bridge Arms in San Francisco exports to other countries.
Worth a call (415) 500-2578.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogway View Post
High Bridge Arms in San Francisco exports to other countries.
Worth a call (415) 500-2578.
thx man for the info , i'll try to take a look 1st