Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Actually, the answer to OP's question "10 mm, what can handle it" is "A pistol chambered for 10mm can handle 10mm". I mean, seriously, if a pistol is chambered for a caliber, it can handle that caliber.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
I have a 1006. Not sure if it can handle hot loads (never tried them in it), but it wasn't too pleasant to shoot with the tame factory loads. You'll see it on the marketplace here when I convince myself to sell it..
i'll take it
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 05-07-2012, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeltaForce View Post
OMG, I just re-read the opening post.
I seriously hope that the original poster is not going straight from freakin' video games, to a 10mm? (Face palm, hysterical laughter!!!!!)

Bwaaa-hahahahaha-hahahahahahaha!!

Seriously......maybe the armchair warriors should stick with PS3 and Cheetos.

- The Delta Force
Even if he was, is this how we should welcome someone with reasonable questions about shooting?
Old 05-07-2012, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the savage View Post
i'll take it
Next in Line!
Old 05-07-2012, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
GLock 20, Glock 20SF, Glock 29....etc. All you need.

SF stands for short frame. *front to back dimensions slightly less on the grip only.

I reload 10MM. A stock GLOCK will be fine; however for reloading purposes the .006 larger chamber a Glock barrel has, full length resizing is required. Glocks are built for war and Glock barrel chambers are purposely loose compared to a target pistol. If you want a weapon that will run dirty ammo found on a invading UN soldier (hahahahaha..joke)....a GLOCK is your handgun.

In 10MM circles for people who hunt with the 10MM, we want to run heavy bullets out of extended barrels at high speeds. This is best done with an aftermarket barrel. The big three of AfterMarket barrels are Lonewolf, KKM and Stormlake. The standard for these manufactures can be summed up in two words: Case Support.

Case support on a HOT 10MM round is that area around the base (web) of the case. Like the photo below suggests, the GLOCK barrel has more exposed case than a KKM afterMarket barrel.

When you run Maximum reloads in a stock glock barrel you will get 'Glock smiles'. See below. These cases were actually reloaded over recommended pressures, which is dangerous.

If you're going to be hunting PIGS with a glock and want to run at 100% pressures, then I recommend a 6 inch lonewolf barrel (with good case support) in a Lonewolf longslide.

The entire top end can be installed on any GLOCK 20 or GLOCK 21 frame.

Reloading brass from the lonewolf barrel is easy, I still resize full length but no case bulges exist.
Not interested in the 10mm, but you are a wealth of Glock information sir. That was interesting reading.
Old 05-07-2012, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiZZ View Post
Bro, you might wanna restructure that sentence with different words. lol
lmao!
Old 05-07-2012, 1:51 PM

To get started I would go with the 10mm Hi-Point that is hitting the streets.

Old 05-07-2012, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12voltguy View Post
always reading about hu?
then buy a different brand
sounds like another glock hate thread...lol

I have a .45 kimber
not sure you can get one in .10mm at $1k
most used are $850-1200
took mine in trade for $1k
Bingo. I'm sure I have 2K rounds through my G20. No problems. Simple envy.

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 05-07-2012, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distro View Post
To get started I would go with the 10mm Hi-Point that is hitting the streets.

Haha we had bren ten, now we have a bubba ten,

Now we wait for the 15 hi point 10 threads.
Old 05-07-2012, 3:19 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ght=glockzilla
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ght=glockzilla

1,124 ft/lb energy
16,860 ft/lbs a magazine. Win
Old 05-07-2012, 3:27 PM

STI has a 10mm too. You just have to SSE it.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 05-07-2012, 3:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Thanks for reminding me that I need one of those
There's one NIB at a local SF area gun store - pm me if you want the location, it was there last weekend. IIRC it has a $1,200.00 price tag. Ouch.
Old 05-07-2012, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

I've had 3 1911 pistols I played with for the ultimate 10mm pistol firing light JHPs and heavy hardcast/FMJs. I thought my 7" IAI Javelina was the cat's meow compared to a 5" bull barreled 1911 or a Para/STI build that can hold 18 rounds. If I was to build the ultimate 10mm pistol I'd pick a Fusion Arms kit have a sleeve attached to the barrel turning it to a bull barrel.

Or the STI Perfect 10 would be perfect if you are not into building one from a kit.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine

Last edited by JTROKS; 05-07-2012 at 5:10 PM..
Old 05-07-2012, 4:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Easy answer is a G20 or a 610 depending on loading preference. If you're going to shoot much 10mm you'll want both eventually. S&W has once again discontinued the 610 so they're tougher to find.

I've been trying to kill a G20 and S&W 1076 for 20+ years and they both still run like new.

I like the Kimber 10mm but I'm not sure I really love it. It's a finicky gun. The Delta Elite IMHO is better than the Kimber. I'd likely take the Dan Wesson CBOB over either.

If you get a chance to shoot a Perfect 10 it will be very tough not to buy one. I'm never selling mine. It's almost always the 10mm I shoot the last rounds through at the end of the day.
Old 05-07-2012, 6:22 PM

IIRC the early 10mm Colt Delta Elite's suffered from cracked frames. They eventually fixed the problem by machining away the crack prone area and allowing the frame a place to flex in a controlled manner. The 1911 slide is a bit light on mass and was designed to match the impulse of .45 ACP with 50% less muzzle energy than 10mm, so in order to control the slide velocity and prevent frame battering, ~24lb springs needed to be installed. After a rough start, today's 1911 10mm pistols have the bugs worked out and are pretty good.

I think the Glocks are at their best in 9mm and 10mm, with .40/.357 being an adaptation of the 9mm frame and .45 being an adaptation of the 10mm frame. The G29 and G20 slides are purposely made quite thick and heavy, and better matched to the extra bolt thrust the 10mm cartridge creates. The feed ramp seems to intrude much less into the chamber than I remember on .40 Glocks, and I have fired several hundred top end hand loads (200gn @ ~1200 FPS, 135 @ ~1600 FPS) to date from my stock Glock 29 barrel, and have reused the brass a couple times, though I won't recommend it. The only mod was a 21lb Wolff steel guide rod and spring set. The elasticity and flex of the frame soaks up the sharp recoil impulse making it very comfortable to shoot, and even in the case of being under sprung or experiencing frame battering, the flex of the frame softens hard metal on metal impact.

In all of the blown 10mm Glocks I've seen, it's because somebody was hotrodding the piss out of it and found the limits of the case, or what happens when a bullet squibs and you don't notice.