Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-04-2012, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Default Quickload

Finallly dropped the hammer and ordered it, does anyone here have it and if so what do you think? I have heard lots of good things, and have heard people getting projections within 30-50 fps off chronyied loads
Old 05-05-2012, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonanda View Post
Finallly dropped the hammer and ordered it, does anyone here have it and if so what do you think? I have heard lots of good things, and have heard people getting projections within 30-50 fps off chronyied loads
What calibers and what bullets are you using it for? I use it but I also use published manuals. Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, etc.

It is a very helpful program but you need to double check all the data for certain load combos in certain calibers. Some are right on. Some need the fields adjusted. An example is dimensions for some manufacturer's bullets. Double check with calipers and change the fields. The common calibers and most bullets are dead on. I still have issues with the 375 H&H QB projections as it says I'm in danger of blowing myself up when I'm still below max published loads (kind of an uncomfortable feeling with a cartridge that size).

As far as agreement with my chrono, I loaded Berger VLD's in 30.06 using 3 different powders. My OAL is 3.440" barrel length 22". With IMR 4064, 4350 and 4831 their projections are near exact. The pressure and velocity curve data is what's real handy here in picking the ideal powder for particular bullet weight, dimensions etc.
Old 05-05-2012, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

I havent used it yet, I just ordered it but will be hopefully trying it with:
5.45x39
5.56x45/ .223
.243 Win
6.5x50 Arisaka
6.5 Swede
7mm Mauser
.30 Carbine
.308/7.62 Nato
.30-06
.303 Brit
7.62x54R
7.7x58 Arisaka
8mm Mauser
possibly forgot some rifle calibers I reload for and about 4 pistol Calibers LOL
I already use realoading manuals and dont plan on believing everything the program tells me, just hoping it will help me get closer to a specific FPS for a given powder without having to ladder test as I already do, instead hoping it will give me a better starting point. Nothing replaces the manuals though
Old 05-05-2012, 7:53 PM

This seems like a good place to enter the well-known line of "Beware the man with one gun". The ones with fewer guns SHOULD theoretically be better than the one with many to get practiced and adequate with. Unless you just naturally are a bad shot, which may be the case with me.

Not stealing the thread, just making a point. 'nuff said.
Old 05-06-2012, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkaiser View Post
This seems like a good place to enter the well-known line of "Beware the man with one gun". The ones with fewer guns SHOULD theoretically be better than the one with many to get practiced and adequate with. Unless you just naturally are a bad shot, which may be the case with me.

Not stealing the thread, just making a point. 'nuff said.
What the hell are you talking about, not sure if you are trolling, picking a fight, jealous of my collection or what.
I have a gun collection, most are WW2, but some are modern. I reload for or can reload for everything I own, with the way ammo prices are going it is cheaper for me to reload for some of these guns as commercial ammo is expensive and surplus is non-existant. I dont have safe queens, and yes I can shoot them all pretty dang good.

Last edited by Noonanda; 05-06-2012 at 7:56 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 7:56 AM

Quote:
I havent used it yet, I just ordered it but will be hopefully trying it with:
5.45x39
5.56x45/ .223
.243 Win
6.5x50 Arisaka
6.5 Swede
7mm Mauser
.30 Carbine
.308/7.62 Nato
.30-06
.303 Brit
7.62x54R
7.7x58 Arisaka
8mm Mauser
possibly forgot some rifle calibers I reload for and about 4 pistol Calibers LOL
I already use realoading manuals and dont plan on believing everything the program tells me, just hoping it will help me get closer to a specific FPS for a given powder without having to ladder test as I already do, instead hoping it will give me a better starting point. Nothing replaces the manuals though
You'll be happy to find all those, even the Japanese cartridges, are in the QL database. But double check the default fields before you believe the results QL will give you for particular load recipes.
Old 05-06-2012, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Sailor View Post
You'll be happy to find all those, even the Japanese cartridges, are in the QL database. But double check the default fields before you believe the results QL will give you for particular load recipes.
Will do, thanks alot, always reference 2 sources when developing a load
Old 05-06-2012, 9:18 AM

I've been using QL for years and like it very much. As said above, learn what all the variables mean and double check them and your data before you actually load anything. The chrono is still your friend.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

My buddy and I were talking about shooting a few days ago. I was teling him I had some new loads I wanted to chrony to see how fast they were. He said "you really are into recording the data and figuring out the data". I was like yea, but didnt think about it till later that day that it probably has something to do with my job.
I am an 0848 Artillery Operations Chief in the Marine Corps, and for almost 19 years now I have been dealing with computing and recording firing data of one kind or another, and it transfered over into my hobby. I look at Quickload as another tool to assist me in computations, but not a single source or do-all. We do the same in a Fire Direction Center, we will use the Computers to compute the data but almays have a manual data check as computers can sometimes be wrong due to 1 wrong number being imput.

I plan on computing data using Quickloads, then referencing it off a reloading manual to ensure it is within safe limits. And in case of a conflict or when in doubt the reloading manual wins.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
My buddy and I were talking about shooting a few days ago. I was teling him I had some new loads I wanted to chrony to see how fast they were. He said "you really are into recording the data and figuring out the data". I was like yea, but didnt think about it till later that day that it probably has something to do with my job.
I am an 0848 Artillery Operations Chief in the Marine Corps, and for almost 19 years now I have been dealing with computing and recording firing data of one kind or another, and it transfered over into my hobby. I look at Quickload as another tool to assist me in computations, but not a single source or do-all. We do the same in a Fire Direction Center, we will use the Computers to compute the data but almays have a manual data check as computers can sometimes be wrong due to 1 wrong number being imput.

I plan on computing data using Quickloads, then referencing it off a reloading manual to ensure it is within safe limits. And in case of a conflict or when in doubt the reloading manual wins.
The QL comes with an exterior ballistic calculator as well....But those all all over the net already....In order to calculate exterior ballistics you need a speedometer on the projectile (chronograph) then you need to know the weight and ballistic coefficient.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

how do you all adjust and measure the Case capacity of your cases, as I have read that this will make a big difference in loads computed as well. do you weigh it empty then fill it with water and weigh it??
Old 05-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Yes, you will see a default field labeled "Maximum Case Capacity Overflow" right above it "Grains H2O".

You use a resized and primed case, weigh, then add H2O until it crowns out over the mouth of the case, weigh again and subtract the dry case weight. Enter that value in Maximum Case Capacity Overflow field.

Unfortunately for me I have a balance beam scale and have to borrow a digital one to perform this little exercise

Last edited by 24Sailor; 05-12-2012 at 10:21 AM..