Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-30-2012, 9:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Plated bullets, what's the point? They are NOT cheap!

I used to use plated bullets, now I use Precision Delta FMJs.

The price for plated bullets is NOT a deal. The only advantage I can see to them is the bottom of the bullet is plated whereas FMJs have an open bottom, but then if I get PDs Hollowpoints, I can get that covered bottom.

I thought the niche that plated bullets fit into was at a price point between lead and copper jacketed bullets, but plated bullets are on par with, if not more expensive than some jacketed bullets.

So .... what's up?
Old 04-30-2012, 9:28 AM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

What caliber you talkin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
"A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
Ron Paul
Old 04-30-2012, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, in the past they use to be cheaper. Nowadays they're about the same. Some guys will pay a little extra for a full coat of copper, but like you said you can find it in jacketed as well.

And most plated still can't handle magnum velocities, there are however exceptions. They are a little easier on your barrel than jacketed, although most guys will never wear out a barrel anyways.

I like the way they shoot and I think Berry's is a good company, so I pay the little extra and shoot plated almost exclusively in 45, 9mm, and 380.

With today's plating processes they are really nice bullets. Very uniform and consistent. Their hollow base bullets are going to start to take over a lot of the competition market IMO.

But you're right, if it's cheap bullets you're after no one can beat PD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 04-30-2012, 9:37 AM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

In .40 cal plated
Extreme $103 per K

Jacketed PD $122 per 1K.

I also shoot lead for $70 per 1K.

All of which shoot well.

Quote:
Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
"A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
Ron Paul
Old 04-30-2012, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

For handgun, I shoot mainly lead and jacketed.

SNS Casting and Missouri Bullet company for lead and Precison Delta and Hornaday XTP/HAP for jacketed.

Lead is easiest on your barrel, plated not far behind, jacketed is toughest (relatively speaking).
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I load for 9mm and .45 acp. Soon .40 S&W.

I've been shooting Precision Delta in 9mm for USPSA. and Berry's plated in .45acp at the range for paper punching, but when I need more bullets, I'm considering SNS for the .45 and continuing with PD for the 9mm. Ie; dropping the Berry's.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

I was in the same boat as you for a long time, especially for 9mm the cost just didnt justify buying plated over precision delta.

We did a group buy last month and got a really good deal on Xtreme bullets, i made sure i stocked up while the gettin was good, but if your not in a position to buy in bulk, the prices are terrible

Heres what the plated bullets came out to:

9mm: $54 per 1000
.40: $73 per 1000
.45: $88 per 1000

Like with alot of things in reloading, you really have to buy in bulk to save any real money

Combine these with $15.50 wolf primers and 8lb jugs of powder and im making my own for about $85 per thousand in 9mm

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Why not shoot lead?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM

Precision Delta and Montana Gold are pretty much the best priced FMJ bullets. Berrys and x-treme are now more expensive for most calibers.
Personally I go with FMJ for everything except 30carbine (Berrys plated purchased via Powder Valley is the cheapest way to go i've found for that)
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Last time we did a group buy I got 2000 "plated" 9mm projectiles for $115.

"Plated" can be shot at falling steel targets, hanging steel targets, and a steel "gong" hanging targets at my local range, but not FMJ... They say Jackets cause jacket-ricochets that separate and slice skin more often than plated.

Last edited by the86d; 04-30-2012 at 12:03 PM..
Old 04-30-2012, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, plated bullets and jacketed bullets are pretty close in cost nowadays.

Do you shoot at a range that requires "no exposed lead" bullets? If not, you might want to consider cast bullets and save a nice chunk of money.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 04-30-2012, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
They say Jackets cause jacket-ricochets that separate and slice skin more often than plated.
not sure who says that.. lead, plated, jacketed all will create nasty cuts if the steel is not hard enough (AR450 or better) or is pitted or bent to have the round come back at you.. We shoot lead, plated, and jacketed on all of our steel.. but it is all rated as AR500... and the bullets fragment easily..
Old 04-30-2012, 1:42 PM

https://www.montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.html

Montana Gold has cheap shipping and cheap bullets.
Old 04-30-2012, 3:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I do shoot lead in my .45s, but I've been doing a lot of 9mm lately (yeah yeah, barely worth it, whatever!) I've developed a nice load for my CZ-75s and wanted to start off with fmj or plated, then experiment with lead loads. I've actually heard that the CZ is a bit picky with OAL for lead, due to the ogive of 9mm lead.

I will pick up some sample 9mm lead though. The savings aren't phenomenal (due to shipping...PD includes shipping cost) but hey, if you can save a buck, why not, right?

I might try SNS casting. And locally I can pick up some Bear Creek.

I've thought about casting my own, but with kids in the house I barely have time to reload as it is!
Old 04-30-2012, 7:51 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
I do shoot lead in my .45s, but I've been doing a lot of 9mm lately (yeah yeah, barely worth it, whatever!) I've developed a nice load for my CZ-75s and wanted to start off with fmj or plated, then experiment with lead loads. I've actually heard that the CZ is a bit picky with OAL for lead, due to the ogive of 9mm lead.

I will pick up some sample 9mm lead though. The savings aren't phenomenal (due to shipping...PD includes shipping cost) but hey, if you can save a buck, why not, right?

I might try SNS casting. And locally I can pick up some Bear Creek.

I've thought about casting my own, but with kids in the house I barely have time to reload as it is!
I had a CZ and when I tried 125 RN bullets I had to load them really short but when I switched to 125 or 147 TC bullets I was able to load them to the regular length. If you go check the CZ forum they have all sorts of info on reloading for CZ's.
Old 04-30-2012, 8:22 PM

Precision Delta just took a price increace. I find plated are $10-$25 cheaper per 1k
Old 05-01-2012, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
I used to use plated bullets, now I use Precision Delta FMJs.

The price for plated bullets is NOT a deal. The only advantage I can see to them is the bottom of the bullet is plated whereas FMJs have an open bottom, but then if I get PDs Hollowpoints, I can get that covered bottom.

I thought the niche that plated bullets fit into was at a price point between lead and copper jacketed bullets, but plated bullets are on par with, if not more expensive than some jacketed bullets.

So .... what's up?
PD don't do .44 mag...

Yes I think they got GREAT prices on FMJ but I can get Xtreme bullets in 44 mag (.429) for $60/500 delivered. I just did yesterday. 9mm PD might be better then plated but until PD sells 44 mag FMJ I am sticking to plated for plinking...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 05-01-2012, 9:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Last time we did a group buy I got 2000 "plated" 9mm projectiles for $115.

"Plated" can be shot at falling steel targets, hanging steel targets, and a steel "gong" hanging targets at my local range, but not FMJ... They say Jackets cause jacket-ricochets that separate and slice skin more often than plated.
Some guy had this smoking hot chick at the indoor range on thursday night (when ladies shot for free). He was a terrible instructor and who cares cause we just kept checking her butt out. Anyways, stupid ***** shot his gun when I was picking up some brass and SHE MISSED THE TARGET BY A GOOD 15+ INCHES AND HIT THE DAMN METAL HANGER SHIELD and sent a piece of the jacket into my right hand index finger. It STUCK there. I actually had to use force to pull it out. I grabbed the Deagle and shot 5 rounds downrange to thank her for that and hopefully cockblock him.

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 05-01-2012, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

I use copper plated, when I can. Here are the reasons:

1) Practically eliminates lead fouling in my applications

2) Lessens my exposure to lead alloy

3) Looks nicer
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

UPDATE:

PD has no plans to sell any 44 mag bullets...

Plated it is...

Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
UPDATE:

PD has no plans to sell any 44 mag bullets...

Plated it is...
Ur lucky, im forced to buy FMJ for .357 magnum, plated bullets cant handle that much velocity so im stuck with Hardcast or jacketed.

Like i said, plated bullets are much cheaper than jacketed bullets if you find the right deal, but i also bought 1000 .38 158 grn JHP for about $100 one time so if your searching for deals you can get a great price on jacketed projectiles too

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 05-02-2012, 1:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
With today's plating processes they are really nice bullets. Very uniform and consistent. Their hollow base bullets are going to start to take over a lot of the competition market IMO.
I recently bought a box of the Berry's RNHB. Haven't had a chance to really check 'em out yet but I was VERY pleased with the accuracy from Bear Creek's RNHB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 05-02-2012, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoddridge View Post
Ur lucky, im forced to buy FMJ for .357 magnum, plated bullets cant handle that much velocity so im stuck with Hardcast or jacketed.

Like I said, plated bullets are much cheaper than jacketed bullets if you find the right deal, but I also bought 1000 .38 158 grn JHP for about $100 one time so if your searching for deals you can get a great price on jacketed projectiles too
What velocities do you aim for? (pun intended...)

Xtreme bullets said their plated bullets were rated at 1500 fps... I can't imagine 357 mag being TOOO much faster than 44 mag and I got my Rainiers to about 1300+ FPs with no copper streaks possibly so who knows now... Lots of game changers out there...

Old 05-02-2012, 5:23 PM

Just looked up the price for 147 gr 9mm, Berry is $99/1000 and Precision Delta is $101/1000. So not much savings. You do use slightly less powder to drive the plated to the same velocity. This ends up making a softer load for competition.
Old 05-02-2012, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Just looked up the price for 147 gr 9mm, Berry is $99/1000 and Precision Delta is $101/1000. So not much savings. You do use slightly less powder to drive the plated to the same velocity. This ends up making a softer load for competition.
And had you gone here: http://www.xtremebullets.com/plated.htm you would have those same bullets for a starting price of $89 including shipping. AND they can supposedly take the speed up to 1500 FPS...

Old 05-03-2012, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
And had you gone here: http://www.xtremebullets.com/plated.htm you would have those same bullets for a starting price of $89 including shipping. AND they can supposedly take the speed up to 1500 FPS...
I couldnt find it on their website that state it can go up to 1500 FPS. Is that just from a word of mouth or what?
Old 05-03-2012, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns3v3n View Post
I couldnt find it on their website that state it can go up to 1500 FPS. Is that just from a word of mouth or what?
I am SO glad you asked...

I went there and sent them an e-mail. They called me the next day and told me that over the phone.

I was so excited that I placed the order right there and I also asked if I could get a sample bullet of some of their others that they offered. They sent me like 4 different bullets at about 20+ of each for no additional charge... I got them in this morning with the mail. The included shipping is Priority Mail.

I thought I was only going to get 1 of each since THAT is what I consider a sample. The next order I place I will ask for just 1 of each. I am building a bullet database with all info on a paper and the bullet in a 2x2 kinda ziplock bag. That way I can put them all in a binder or jar and refer to them for future loads.

Even if they are lieing about the speed rating, The price is still pretty good in my opinion. I doubt that they are lieing but I bet if enough folks asked them to put the speed on their website they would do it...

Apparently they do not reccomend pushing them faster than 1500 fps. They do not state that on their website yet but they are in the process of doing it and if everything checks out okay they might state that speed on the website as well. I guess there is a liability issue if they were to put it in print or on screen... They also said that they do not recommend a roll crimp but rather a light taper crimp. If you roll crimp, you should pull a bullet and see if you can see the lead. If you can see the lead then you COULD have seperation issues. MAH BAD! Well, a good indicator of that is if you are keyholing or not leaving nice round holes in your target. SO I guess that is something to consider. Hey for plinking I do not care if the majority of my bullets are around 1200-1400 as long as the Deagle goes BOOM.

Imma go make some Blue Dot Specials to take to the indoor range today...

Last edited by stilly; 05-03-2012 at 2:34 PM..